HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Will Bryzgalov ever be worth his contract? All Bryz Discussion Here. Part Two

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2012, 01:15 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

vCash: 500
We'll see how he fairs against a top flight NYR squad.

Glad he can finally handle some mediocre squads and some fairly light pressure from a better squad in Nash.

Old
02-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I still can't watch the game. In on a cell phone on a car ride.
OK, when you get a chance, here are the highlights, what is your opinion based on them ?

http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocenter/

Old
02-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Bryz has played 9 games since the WC, 8 of them against teams currently in a playoff spot. Great to see he's now playing better against the better teams in the league.

Nashville was:

10-1 since Jan 7th
13-2 since Dec 28th .... hottest team in the NHL

Chi
Ott
Ott
Nash
Minn
NJD
Bos

Wpg
Nash

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 02-03-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: showing how much better than 'better' Nashville actually is.
Old
02-03-2012, 02:02 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
He will be good.

Old
02-03-2012, 02:58 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwaybro86 View Post
And just so you get an idea of where I am coming from, I am not talking about throwing Bobrovsky away or trading him at all costs. I am saying if the right deal comes along and Bryzgalov is solid, we need to consider it.

For example, if Tampa Bay (they need a young goalie desperately) were willing to do something like Hedman and Garon for Voracek, Bobrovsky, our 2012 first round pick and Coburn, I think we would need to do it.

Or if Toronto (they could also use a goalie) were willing to work something out around Meszaros and Bob for Schenn and Reimer or Gustavsson, I would think we should consider it.

Or if a team in the top fifteen of the draft offers us their first round pick for Bobrovsky, I would think we should at least consider it.
I cant believe nobody said anything about this after you posted this. In red...ARE YOU HIGH? Bob alone for Hedman and Garon would be enough for me. Hedman IMO and I'm sure many others has lost considerable value of late. I was surprised to even see Voracek's name and then when my eyes kept going and saw the 1st, PLUS Coburn, I figured you were kidding.

It's odd how night and day your Tampa proposal and your TOR one are. At least the TOR one is fair. Sorry, not bashing, just took me by surprise.

Old
02-03-2012, 03:28 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
I cant believe nobody said anything about this after you posted this. In red...ARE YOU HIGH? Bob alone for Hedman and Garon would be enough for me. Hedman IMO and I'm sure many others has lost considerable value of late. I was surprised to even see Voracek's name and then when my eyes kept going and saw the 1st, PLUS Coburn, I figured you were kidding.

It's odd how night and day your Tampa proposal and your TOR one are. At least the TOR one is fair. Sorry, not bashing, just took me by surprise.
I think you are sorely mistaken about Hedman. He is 6'6 230 lbs, is 21 years old, and leads the Lightning in even strength ice time. Again, as a 21 year old defenseman, that is remarkable.

In addition, he plays over 3:30 of shorthanded time per game. That puts him 14th in the entire NHL.

He is a shutdown defenseman in every sense of the term and he is smooth skating and has serious playmaking skills.

Hedman is a legitimate #1 defense prospect with massive size that should reach his full potential.

Luke Schenn is more of a #3/#2 tweener defense prospect with OK size. There is a big difference in value there, and that's why there is a difference between the two proposals.

I would be curious to hear exactly why you think Hedman's value has declined so much. No matter what your answer, I can tell you straight away that Bobrovsky for Hedman and Garon is laughable. Bob is nowhere near that valuable.

Old
02-03-2012, 03:29 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post

No, your right. The tb trade is crack pipe level.

Old
02-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
He's certainly been better, but I still find him to be...sloppy. He still looks almost uncertain, and like he's struggling to get in position and stay square to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
My main issue is that he looks kinda small when he goes down on shots from the point etc, maybe that's why he's struggling so bad with deflections?

I also think the D has been much better at keeping the crease-area clean, both from forwards and rebounds.

In my opinion he donīt look good. He has had his issues with the rebound control. He is not quik on his skates. He donīt have to make really tough saves. So i really agree with 100% what Vikke and DUHockey have said!

But for sure he donīt look that bad like before the 2 games. But stats are not the only way of looking on performance....

Iīam really interested in his performance against better offensive teams....

Now Bryz fans flame away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwaybro86 View Post
I think you are sorely mistaken about Hedman. He is 6'6 230 lbs, is 21 years old, and leads the Lightning in even strength ice time. Again, as a 21 year old defenseman, that is remarkable.

In addition, he plays over 3:30 of shorthanded time per game. That puts him 14th in the entire NHL.

He is a shutdown defenseman in every sense of the term and he is smooth skating and has serious playmaking skills.

Hedman is a legitimate #1 defense prospect with massive size that should reach his full potential.
Hedman for Bob, Coburn and a first??? OMFG I canīt believe this.... Maybe we should trade Giroux, Read, Couturier and Schenn for Stamkos??

Because TB will win the Stanley cup the next three seasons and we are out of the playoff picture???

Or wait a moment.... itīs the other way round... the really good Hedman and his even strengh games isnīt good enough to hold TB in the playoff picture so why the hell are you so high on him??

Coburn and a 2nd is enough for him!! Or Bob and a 1st.... Canīt belive it

Old
02-03-2012, 03:38 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
BTW, a 'bad goal' to me is one like goal #2 in the WC - between the arm and body.
I'd just like to say I don't think it was bad because of placement, it was bad because it was a weak unscreened wrist shot that he had plenty of time to properly position for.

You and I largely agree in our opinion about goalies.

Old
02-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Go For It

Regarding the people saying Bryz hasn't had to make any "big" or really tough saves, I think that's because his entire game is centered around positioning and angles which results in a large majority of his saves looking routine because he's in the right place at the right time. With Bob, he's more reactionary than Bryz, so his saves look "bigger" or harder.

Old
02-03-2012, 04:19 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Regarding the people saying Bryz hasn't had to make any "big" or really tough saves, I think that's because his entire game is centered around positioning and angles which results in a large majority of his saves looking routine because he's in the right place at the right time. With Bob, he's more reactionary than Bryz, so his saves look "bigger" or harder.
This is true. Quit it with the logic and reason

Old
02-03-2012, 04:30 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanrulez View Post
In my opinion he donīt look good. He has had his issues with the rebound control. He is not quik on his skates. He donīt have to make really tough saves.
since the WC, in my view, he HAS looked very good, quick on his skates, has gotten MUCH better with rebound control, and has been in position so frequently that his saves don't needless look 'tough' .... Palmateer & Cujo would regularly make SPECTACULAR saves .... because they were out of position so regularly

Quote:
But stats are not the only way of looking on performance....
what I've been saying since the WC

Old
02-03-2012, 04:42 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:

Hedman for Bob, Coburn and a first??? OMFG I canīt believe this.... Maybe we should trade Giroux, Read, Couturier and Schenn for Stamkos??

Because TB will win the Stanley cup the next three seasons and we are out of the playoff picture???

Or wait a moment.... itīs the other way round... the really good Hedman and his even strengh games isnīt good enough to hold TB in the playoff picture so why the hell are you so high on him??

Coburn and a 2nd is enough for him!! Or Bob and a 1st.... Canīt belive it
Bob and a 1st is not enough for Hedman. Hedman was the second overall pick in 2009 and has done nothing to lower his value. He is massive, he is one of the smoothest skating defensemen in the league, he is an excellent playmaker. I could go on and on. He has all of the tools and he is already a shutdown defender.

He is already better than Coburn and has much, much higher potential.

The offer that I put together may be an overpayment, but only slightly. Everyone here that is clamoring for a young number one defenseman, Victor Hedman is the absolute best you could hope for. He has all the skills.

Old
02-03-2012, 04:50 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Bryz has played 9 games since the WC, 8 of them against teams currently in a playoff spot. Great to see he's now playing better against the better teams in the league.

Nashville was:

10-1 since Jan 7th

Chi
Ott
Ott
Nash
Minn
NJD
Bos

Wpg
Nash
FEB 02 '12 NSH @ PHI W 1 27 26 .963 0 0 60:00 1 0 0 0
JAN 31 '12 WPG @ PHI O 1 24 23 .958 0 0 65:00 1 0 0 0
JAN 22 '12 BOS @ PHI O 5 37 32 .865 0 2 65:00 4 1 0 0
JAN 21 '12 PHI @ NJD W 1 31 30 .968 0 0 59:55 1 0 0 0
JAN 17 '12 MIN @ PHI W 1 26 25 .962 0 0 59:57 1 0 0 0
JAN 14 '12 PHI @ NSH L 3 24 21 .875 0 0 59:07 2 1 0 1
JAN 08 '12 PHI @ OTT L 5 37 32 .865 0 0 59:46 5 0 0 1
JAN 07 '12 OTT @ PHI W 2 37 35 .946 0 0 64:49 1 1 0 0
JAN 05 '12 CHI @ PHI W 4 34 30 .882 0 0 60:00 4 0 0 0

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/player.ht...2&view=gamelog

Yeah he was real solid against Chicago, the Jan 8th OTT game, the first preds game, and the Boston game.

His improvement has been noticed since the MIN game but like I said, when you're in the cellar of the NHL goalie department; up is the only way you can go.

Hopefully he keeps it up and can prove he belongs here.

Old
02-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Nashville was:

10-1 since Jan 7th

Chi
Ott
Ott
Nash
Minn
NJD
Bos

Wpg
Nash

yup, real solid, posting a .920 sv % in 9 games
[8 of which were against current playoff spot teams]
that would rank him #12 in the NHL, pretty great considering his dismal start to the season

stats and facts

Old
02-03-2012, 05:55 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Nashville was:

10-1 since Jan 7th

Chi
Ott
Ott
Nash
Minn
NJD
Bos

Wpg
Nash

that would rank him #12 in the NHL, pretty great considering his dismal start to the season

stats and facts
lol

Are you seriously comparing his .920 SV% for 9 games to the SV% of others who have played the majority of the season?

Old
02-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Nashville was:

10-1 since Jan 7th

Chi
Ott
Ott
Nash
Minn
NJD
Bos

Wpg
Nash

stats and facts
Except, once again, you're being dishonest about your stats.

I'm curious, have you ever taken a statistics course at least at the 100 level? This isn't meant to be degrading or condescending at all, because I know a large majority of people have not, and those who tend to misuse stats haven't.

Last edited by Go For It: 02-03-2012 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old
02-03-2012, 06:20 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Except, once again, you're being dishonest about your stats.

I'm curious, have you ever taken a statistics course at least at the 100 level? This isn't meant to be degrading or condescending at all, because I know a large majority of people have not, and those who tend to misuse stats haven't.
He is probably just tired of everybody telling him to prove his opinion Bryz is playing well. Now that he finally has some decent stats, he desperately wants to flaunt them around and try to blow them up more than what they really are.

Unless he found a site that you can select X amount of games or he himself went through EVERY G and calculated their SV% for the last nine games, that "12th place" stat is likely so bogus and such an attempt to place Bryz on a pedestal, its not even funny.

No surprise as the source this "stat" is coming from.

Old
02-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Are you seriously comparing his .920 SV% for 9 games to the SV% of others
i'm telling you, that he's got a .920 sv % over those 9 games.

that is a FACT.

i did NOT say he is #12 in the league.

OBVIOUSLY, i'm telling you that if he keeps that up, and gets to .920 by season's end, he would be #12 using current numbers

and that finishing the season at #12, would be pretty great considering his dismal start to the season

that's why i said 'WOULD' rank him .... not 'DOES' rank him .... obviously he needs to keep it up.

you have a problem with that ?

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 02-03-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old
02-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Go For It

Quote:

that is a FACT.

i'm telling you that if he keeps that up, and gets to .920 by season's end, he would be #12 using current numbers

and that finishing the season at #12, would be pretty great considering his dismal start to the season

Yes. If he got a .920 for every game for the rest of the season, he still wouldn't finish with a .920, and possibly not even a .917.

Old
02-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Yes. If he got a .920 for every game for the rest of the season, he still wouldn't finish with a .920, and possibly not even a .917.
and if he continues to put up .963s like he did against the hottest team in the NHL, he might surpass .920

bottom line is that .920 is pretty good ..... 'real solid' as the other guy said

Old
02-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Mgkibbles

Bryzaglov's mechanics have looked a lot better the past two games. He's playing tight and controlled for the first time in months, probably since the pre-season. Also, the Flyers defense has been much better overall. They're doing a good job cutting down second chance opportunities. Hopefully this continues, or else we'll have to hold witch trials.

Old
02-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
and if he continues to put up .963s like he did against the hottest team in the NHL, he might surpass .920

bottom line is that .920 is pretty good ..... 'real solid' as the other guy said
Don't get crazy.

Old
02-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Go For It

Quote:

But that's not what you said.

Bottom line is that at .898, Bryz has a LONG way to go to get to .920, yet alone .915.

Old
02-03-2012, 06:48 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Quote:

that is a FACT.

i did NOT say he is #12 in the league.

OBVIOUSLY, i'm telling you that if he keeps that up, and gets to .920 by season's end, he would be #12 using current numbers

that's why i said 'WOULD' rank him .... not 'DOES' rank him .... obviously he needs to keep it up.

Nice backtracking.

Closed Thread