HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Trading Deadline 2012 Discussion (All Habs related credible rumors/trade talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2012, 05:36 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHABSFAN View Post
I didn't say other teams aren't stupid and will do deals look at the retards in Philly overpaying their goalie. I would trade Price for the Blue jackets pick in a heartbeat you have to be a complete imbecile not to. Price is a good goalie thats it thats all he's not the greatest thing in the nets by far.
and Columbus GM would have to be a complete imbecile to do so...

and just so you know, they god their goalie for a 3rd and a below average prospect...

Old
02-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Protest the Hero

I can't believe some of the things people will suggest doing if they were the GM, then complain about Gauthier in the very same post.

Old
02-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
The action heated up last year during the 2nd week of February. Get ready...
It was the Friday of the second week in February. There were like 10 Trades in one evening.

Old
02-03-2012, 06:12 PM
habfaninvictoria

If we are in rebuild mode, what would you give up for Edm 1st.

They need D NOW. It has to start with Subban though, because it's likely to be a lottery pick, but how cool would it be to have 2 shots at the top 5, potentially 1 & 2.

Old
02-03-2012, 06:18 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
by unseemly GM's?

Man if your not nervous , something isn't right ..

You can't discount PG dealing Habs first....
That is the first thing that came to mind. McKenzie keeps up with the Canadiens pretty closely and we have seen what PG is capable of.

If we trade our first, well.........

Old
02-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
That is the first thing that came to mind. McKenzie keeps up with the Canadiens pretty closely and we have seen what PG is capable of.

If we trade our first, well.........
all is see is that PG can do marvelous trades

I am in total confidence

Old
02-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
You do need a franchise goalie if you're not stacked absolutely everywhere else and have top 5 picks for 5 years. Price isn't and won't be dealt. It makes no sense.
he will be dealt sometime next season if the team keeps losing, he'll do a st paddy's boil over and that will be it.

Old
02-03-2012, 06:37 PM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I'm just scared Gauthier will shop our 1st for a disappointing player.
I've heard this mentioned way too often. Why do people think PG will even consider trading a 1st round pick away? What evidence is there that he would even consider doing something so idiotic with a pick that, as of now, is 5th overall?

Stop it please. Not funny any more.

Old
02-03-2012, 06:39 PM
SAKS AVENUE

Man oh man, Habs fans again, setting themselves up for disappointment.

Gems are found throughout the draft. Eberle is a good example. Detroits luck and even our own with the likes of Subban.
A top five pick doesn't guarantee anything. Those two Russians may become problems like Ovy or Kovalchuk. Imagine the dressing room problems with Nail in Montreal, oh my be careful what you ask for. That guy seems like a cocky little ***** that doesn't really respect the Stanley Cup. All he's concerned about is himself and his motherland conquering north america, that won't fly well in nhl dressing-rooms.

Everyone here thinks the more top five picks means 1st place next year. It's worked for Edmonton hasn't it.

This season could have a very damaging hit on current habs psyche that they can't recover from.

Ya, we may get a top five pick, but if we draft an attitude we'll be looking at the basement for a while. We need to mend the fences in the dressing room and start winning games before we have a team full of Scott Gomez'. Losing as much as we have this year can rot the soul.

Old
02-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggo Mortensen View Post
Thank god Habaneros isnt our GM.....

Price has been playing decent enough with this team who ammounts nothing, he proved us last year that he can carry the team almost by himself and he's still young. On top of that, Gauthier kept him instead of Halak, he wont be traded soon, and for good reasons, geez.
price
Rookie year...good season...not so good playoffs,
Second year...on the bench alot...halak the man
Third year....played very very well season...ok playoffs... couple of softies against B's
This season ....average at best...lot of soft goals...SO's, OT were horrible !!

Old
02-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
I've heard this mentioned way too often. Why do people think PG will even consider trading a 1st round pick away? What evidence is there that he would even consider doing something so idiotic with a pick that, as of now, is 5th overall?

This is hfboards, where every other GM in the league is better than ours, every other coach is better than ours, our management doesn't want to win the Stanley Cup, Plekanec is useless, and Gauthier will trade our first round pick for Wade Redden, because he's apparently that retarded.

Oh right, and Price sucks.

Old
02-03-2012, 06:53 PM
SouthernHab

I wonder if there is a thread on the Columbus board where they are wondering if we will trade OUR 1st round pick to them.

But on a serious note, I cannot believe so many people are slamming Habaneros and putting him on ignore. Hell, he simply has a different opinion that a few of you. And, he is not denigrating anyone or calling anyone names. He is simply thinking outside of the box.

I am a huge Price fan and I am glad he is in Montreal instead of Halak. I always take up for him when posters bash him.

I think that Habaneros has a point. Just go on this board and see how many "tank" and "rebuild" and "retool" and "blow up" and "fire everyone" and "clean house" threads and posts there are.

If we as an organization do that, realistically we do not have a chance at winning a Cup in the next two years. Five or more years if we do not change the dynamics of the team.

So why not trade an asset to get more for the next two years. To get a high return, you need to trade a player when they are doing well.

Right now Price is 18th in GAA and 24th in Save %. NHL people know that this is not a reflection of Price but more of a reflection of our weak D. So Price is not the best goalie in the NHL but is of VALUE to a team like Columbus who is probably not going for a complete rebuild.

We can sign a UFA goalie for the next two years as we rebuild and that would give us a chance to draft and sign Grigorenko and Galchenyuk and we are set at Center for many years.

Put aside your emotions for a second and the obvious admiration for Price (which is deserving) and think about what Habaneros is saying right now. This is about the future (two years minimum), not next year.

Old
02-03-2012, 07:18 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKS AVENUE View Post

Gems are found throughout the draft. Eberle is a good example. Detroits luck and even our own with the likes of Subban.
A top five pick doesn't guarantee anything. Those two Russians may become problems like Ovy or Kovalchuk. Imagine the dressing room problems with Nail in Montreal, oh my be careful what you ask for. That guy seems like a cocky little ***** that doesn't really respect the Stanley Cup. All he's concerned about is himself and his motherland conquering north america, that won't fly well in nhl dressing-rooms.

Everyone here thinks the more top five picks means 1st place next year. It's worked for Edmonton hasn't it.

This season could have a very damaging hit on current habs psyche that they can't recover from.

Ya, we may get a top five pick, but if we draft an attitude we'll be looking at the basement for a while. We need to mend the fences in the dressing room and start winning games before we have a team full of Scott Gomez'. Losing as much as we have this year can rot the soul.
Yes RNH and Hall are total failures, why havn't they wont the stanley cup if they are so great?

The last time we drafted top 5 it was a major disaster right?

What a mess of a post yours was.

Old
02-03-2012, 07:26 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I love how suddenly Nail's post-game speech makes him a cocky canadian hater.

The WJC is all CANADA, CANADA, CANADA. You'd be frustrated with it too, he was elated to win. He's a 17 year old kid, we don't expect maturity levels high after a big victory like that.

I'd love a kid with that confidence and swagger on my team. Our 'respectful' winners are really doing a whole lot of winning for us, aren't they?

Old
02-03-2012, 07:30 PM
SouthernHab

To Habaneros' point.....

Cammalleri is now gone from the Habs. We traded him at his low value and we get a player the caliber of Rene Bourque.

What would Cammalleri have gotten the Habs if he would have been traded when he was at a higher value?

Same for Spacek.

That takes vision from a GM.

Old
02-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
I wonder if there is a thread on the Columbus board where they are wondering if we will trade OUR 1st round pick to them.

But on a serious note, I cannot believe so many people are slamming Habaneros and putting him on ignore. Hell, he simply has a different opinion that a few of you. And, he is not denigrating anyone or calling anyone names. He is simply thinking outside of the box.

I am a huge Price fan and I am glad he is in Montreal instead of Halak. I always take up for him when posters bash him.

I think that Habaneros has a point. Just go on this board and see how many "tank" and "rebuild" and "retool" and "blow up" and "fire everyone" and "clean house" threads and posts there are.

If we as an organization do that, realistically we do not have a chance at winning a Cup in the next two years. Five or more years if we do not change the dynamics of the team.

So why not trade an asset to get more for the next two years. To get a high return, you need to trade a player when they are doing well.

Right now Price is 18th in GAA and 24th in Save %. NHL people know that this is not a reflection of Price but more of a reflection of our weak D. So Price is not the best goalie in the NHL but is of VALUE to a team like Columbus who is probably not going for a complete rebuild.

We can sign a UFA goalie for the next two years as we rebuild and that would give us a chance to draft and sign Grigorenko and Galchenyuk and we are set at Center for many years.

Put aside your emotions for a second and the obvious admiration for Price (which is deserving) and think about what Habaneros is saying right now. This is about the future (two years minimum), not next year.
Except that this 24th best goaltender was fast tracked to the NHL, then handed a job when he was struggling, then by way of management support supplanted a goaltender that was playing better. And for what and why? To make it decidedly clear that management was going in a certain direction with a certain asset they had made a large investment in.

Right or wrong, the optics of changing course so quickly, especially when it takes you from being controversially strong to suddenly Flyer-weak at a critical position, is a path the team cannot make.

Good or bad it's Price or bust from here on in.

Old
02-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
does this year really matter now?

I mean they could call up the AHL Goalie guy , it's over.

You want a real cup CONTENDER for next 10 years?

You trade Price for first over all in 2012.

You want more of this last 9 years under Gainey?Keep Price.

Flyers traded Carter and Richards,world end?
I don't see them in last place,you think we had injury problems?
I personally wouldn't do it. But I can totally see why someone would.

If I can guarantee a quality starting goaltender would sign here as a UFA, then I might change my mind.

But I think the 1st order of buisiness would be to bring in a quality NHL GM (Julien Brisebois, Pierre Page?) dunno, just not some schmuck (see McGuire)

Old
02-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Belso

Quote:
i said this many times, but Habs should call Columbus offer Price for the Columbus 1st, Brassard,a player plus another pick or player.

Then fire Gauthier and Gainey , Habs draft 1 and 2 .....

offseason start new.
A first and second pick is sure a great way to start rebuilding... But who will they get between the pipes?

Old
02-03-2012, 07:41 PM
NJHABSFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKS AVENUE View Post

I understand your points Im not a big fan of russian players but at this point we are just lost...Det scouting the europeans is by far the best in the NHL. And Edmonton cannot attract any free agents, That why they won't win need anise mixture of young talent and some good vets.

Old
02-03-2012, 07:44 PM
NJHABSFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
This is hfboards, where every other GM in the league is better than ours, every other coach is better than ours, our management doesn't want to win the Stanley Cup, Plekanec is useless, and Gauthier will trade our first round pick for Wade Redden, because he's apparently that retarded.

Oh right, and Price sucks.

Price doesn't suck. But this love affair with him on this board is ridiculous he isn't a phenom he is a nice solid goalie that has ups and downs. The NHL is full of them now. I don't see holding onto this guy if the right trade comes along or over paying for him it doesn't make any sense

Old
02-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post

Maybe he thinks he can get the Habs back in the POs next year with a player in the NHL right now. Which would be acquired with our 1st rounder.

No one knows what's up, but Gauthier has dangled picks like hot pies before.

Old
02-03-2012, 07:45 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Except that this 24th best goaltender was fast tracked to the NHL, then handed a job when he was struggling, then by way of management support supplanted a goaltender that was playing better. And for what and why? To make it decidedly clear that management was going in a certain direction with a certain asset they had made a large investment in.

Right or wrong, the optics of changing course so quickly, especially when it takes you from being controversially strong to suddenly Flyer-weak at a critical position, is a path the team cannot make.

Good or bad it's Price or bust from here on in.
The only way this could/would/should happen is if the Canadiens completely sweep away all of the coaching staff and management.

Clean slate in a new direction.

Old
02-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:

But I don't get this reasoning. Why stop with Price? How many picks could a Pacioretty & Subban package garner? How much higher in the draft could the Habs trade up if Leblanc, Tinordi and Gallagher were on offer? In fact, because the 2013 draft is supposed to be deeper than the 2012 draft, maybe PG should trade all of his picks this year for picks next year.

I sort of get it if Price has a trade value that exceeds his on-ice value. So the Habs would better off minus Price but plus assets X and his replacement (whoever that is, whenever he is found). But that is just speculation. Although immune to counterarguments, it is vulnerable to counterspeculation. My turn: assets X are doomed to injury and/or failure, and Price's replacement represents the opportunity cost in trade assets or cap space that could have been used to acquire really good assets Y. Ergo, trade Price = bad.

In any event, this discussion has gotten philosophical. It's possible that a lunatic GM would offer a 1st overall pick and other assets for Price, and I guess I would confront the metaphysics of it all then, but in the meantime I wouldn't be looking to trade Price.

Old
02-03-2012, 07:55 PM
dcyhabs

Based on the habs recent history I would worry more that Gauthier would trade away potentially high picks for a (failed) run at the playoffs than hope that the habs acquire more picks. Admittedly it is a tough choice as the habs suck real bad but, based on the last few years, could turn it around big time if they had a number one D-man and a couple of shutdown forwards.

Unfortunately the most likely path is a leaf-like trade where they get a good player with issues and then proceed to fail for Nail to the benefit of the team they dealt with.

Old
02-03-2012, 07:56 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
But I don't get this reasoning. Why stop with Price? How many picks could a Pacioretty & Subban package garner? How much higher in the draft could the Habs trade up if Leblanc, Tinordi and Gallagher were on offer? In fact, because the 2013 draft is supposed to be deeper than the 2012 draft, maybe PG should trade all of his picks this year for picks next year.

I sort of get it if Price has a trade value that exceeds his on-ice value. So the Habs would better off minus Price but plus assets X and his replacement (whoever that is, whenever he is found). But that is just speculation. Although immune to counterarguments, it is vulnerable to counterspeculation. My turn: assets X are doomed to injury and/or failure, and Price's replacement represents the opportunity cost in trade assets or cap space that could have been used to acquire really good assets Y. Ergo, trade Price = bad.

In any event, this discussion has gotten philosophical. It's possible that a lunatic GM would offer a 1st overall pick and other assets for Price, and I guess I would confront the metaphysics of it all then, but in the meantime I wouldn't be looking to trade Price.
I stopped after your second sentence............

Closed Thread