HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Dreger: desperate Brian Burke to "take a run" at James Van Riemsdyk

Old
02-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Damaged Goods

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanrulez View Post
IŽam not sure if its the right time to shop JVR.

He is injured all season long and plays 5 levels under his normal status. Maybe we should wait for him to bounce back to a normal form and than go shopping with him.
No one is reporting that JVR is being shopped.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:54 PM
MsWoof

Burke's plan is to make the entire team, coaching staff and executives American. Why is he desperate to make a move, and for a player that's got a concussion or worse who has underperformed all season? Like others have said, hopefully he'll overpay.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 08:32 PM
pughater

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Schenn and Lupul for JVR and a pick?
we cant have lupul and pronger on the same team

pughater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
He's been playing with multiple injuries all season and is still on pace for his career average production, after having an amazing play-offs last year. He's shown a commitment to improvement each off season and has been a solid defensive presence since day one in the league. I want to see him on Giroux's wing for the majority of the next decade and will be pretty bummed to see a trade, even if the return is good.

Please let's not trade him.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 08:36 PM
healthyscratch

Unless JvR is getting us Weber in return, he shouldn't be traded.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:01 PM
bryzgalovsky*

people are just pulling stuff out of their anal cavities since there are absolutely no legitimate trade rumors being released and they want to capitalize on the philly fan base wanting a defenseman desperately

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:01 AM
SolidSnakeUS

When he says that he's desperate, does that mean we can squeeze him like a tube of tooth paste if we dangle JVR in his face?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 01:14 AM
Tim Tebow

Burke can be a bit over dramatic at times. How does one go from saying Luke Schenn is worth 10 1st round picks to being so desperate?

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 01:18 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
These trade mongers from TSN are pissing me off. They know how big this time of year is in terms of transactions and they exploit it for all its worth. It reminds me of how ESPN milks the nfl draft for all its worth

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:33 AM
Rick Deckard

You have to take Schenns contract into account, with the recent defensemen contracts his is a bargain. You get 15 min even strength icetime, 25 points without powerplay and some penaltykilling for $3.6MM until 2016, and he is still only 22.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
You have to take Schenns contract into account, with the recent defensemen contracts his is a bargain. You get 15 min even strength icetime, 25 points without powerplay and some penaltykilling for $3.6MM until 2016, and he is still only 22.
And he's one of the most physical players in the league.

No way Burke would ever trade Schenn + one of Franson, Kadri or Colborne for JVR like some here are suggesting. I would do Schenn for JVR straight-up, maybe add a 3rd rounder or prospect; but I don't want us to break up our stud second pairing of: Gardiner-Schenn & give up a top-prospect for JVR. Yeah right.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:03 AM
duffy9748

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
And he's one of the most physical players in the league.

No way Burke would ever trade Schenn + one of Franson, Kadri or Colborne for JVR like some here are suggesting. I would do Schenn for JVR straight-up, maybe add a 3rd rounder or prospect; but I don't want us to break up our stud second pairing of: Gardiner-Schenn & give up a top-prospect for JVR. Yeah right.
And that is fine. We do not want to trade JVR for just a top four defenseman. Whether Schenn is a need or not, JVR is and will be the better player. I'd add a 2nd or something to JVR if it was Schenn + one of those players.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:17 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
He is not 25pts d-men. More like under 20. He already makes 3.6M which is basically a market for stay home d-men and Lukes game is very much up and down. Plus he gained a lot of weight during off season. Schenn started to play better in t he last 2 weeks or so.

Schen is making as much as Staal or Girardi. Ho wi sthat a bargain?

He did have a decent night against Malkin but I doubt he can stop Gino on regular basis. Just did not see that type of consistency in him.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
He is not 25pts d-men. More like under 20. He already makes 3.6M which is basically a market for stay home d-men and Lukes game is very much up and down. Plus he gained a lot of weight during off season. Schenn started to play better in t he last 2 weeks or so.

Schen is making as much as Staal or Girardi. Ho wi sthat a bargain?

He did have a decent night against Malkin but I doubt he can stop Gino on regular basis. Just did not see that type of consistency in him.
He is on pace for 22 points, with a whopping four seconds on the PP.

And I wrote recent contracts:

Gleason $4MM p/a
Liles $3.875MM p/a
Goligoski $4.6MM p/a
Beauchemin $3.5MM p/a
Gorges $3.9MM p/a

Old
02-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
He is on pace for 22 points, with a whopping four seconds on the PP.

And I wrote recent contracts:

Gleason $4MM p/a
Liles $3.875MM p/a
Goligoski $4.6MM p/a
Beauchemin $3.5MM p/a
Gorges $3.9MM p/a
Guess what... All these guys UFA. So like I said.. He is making market value for stay home d-men and he is 22 years old and lets face it he does not play solid 20min. You mentioned it your self. He plays 15. It went up to 16 in a half in the last week.

Old
02-04-2012, 08:35 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Guess what... All these guys UFA.
And we get our replacement for Carle (the UFA) from where?

Old
02-04-2012, 08:37 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
I do not know what future holds. I know we do not need to trade roster player now to replace Carle during summer. A lot of things may happen during off season.

Old
02-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
I do not know what future holds. I know we do not need to trade roster player to replace Carle during summer.
We either sign a UFA who will cost at least $4MM or we trade a roster player for a cheaper alternative. Thats the reason Schenns contract would be a bargain.

Old
02-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
We either sign a UFA who will cost at least $4MM or we trade a roster player for a cheaper alternative. Thats the reason Schenns contract would be a bargain.
I do not see it that way. I really do not.

Schenn is not #1, he is not #2 he is not #3 right now. Daneyko, Foote, Beauchemin were not the main reasons why Col, Dev, Ducks were good on D and won the cup. Daneyko, Foote, Beauchemin were part of it something bigger: Blakes, Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, Ray Bourque etc.

So who is in the right mind will trade #1 d-men to the Flyers? I do not know. Maybe someone will, maybe not. Just going to have to wait and see who is available.

I know adding Schenn and trading JVR will not make us cup contenders next year.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 02-04-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old
02-04-2012, 09:58 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Unless JvR is getting us Weber in return, he shouldn't be traded.
I'm sure Pierre Gauthier would accommodate.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:58 AM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Carle's minutes can be replaced internally by Meszaros, Coburn and Gus with some help from a lower-level UFA. If JVR is going out the door, it needs to be part of recouping a Pronger replacement, not a Carle replacement.

Pronger Replacement - Meszaros
Coburn - Timonen
Gus - UFA

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Recently it seems like the best thing that can be said for Schenn is "he hits a lot."

That's unimpressive. I wonder how often he puts himself out of position by going for hits?

Edit: Schenn is clearly the new Kadri: a player Toronto fans insists is super-amazing in trade proposals...yet they're eager to trade him away ASAP.

02-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Esq.

I like that Dreger called Burke "desperate." As we've seen from the Kessel trade, a desperate Burke is willing to overpay for what he wants. Hopefully if we deal JVR we are able to squeeze as much blood from the Burke stone as possible.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Carle's minutes can be replaced internally by Meszaros, Coburn and Gus with some help from a lower-level UFA. If JVR is going out the door, it needs to be part of recouping a Pronger replacement, not a Carle replacement.

Pronger Replacement - Meszaros
Coburn - Timonen
Gus - UFA
Thats not what Holmgren does, at least he didn't in the past. His aim has always been getting six defensemen who can play second pairing minutes. If Carle leaves and if Pronger is done, Holmgren will try to replace both with similar players, he won't try to do the same with less.

Old
02-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Recently it seems like the best thing that can be said for Schenn is "he hits a lot."

That's unimpressive. I wonder how often he puts himself out of position by going for hits?

Edit: Schenn is clearly the new Kadri: a player Toronto fans insists is super-amazing in trade proposals...yet they're eager to trade him away ASAP.
I understand what you are saying, but I think it's off the mark. Kadri is still basically all potential, whereas Schenn has played a very solid game in the NHL for several years.

He will never be a 1D. I do think he could anchor a second pairing, provided a partner who was more adept at handling the puck. I think Schenn's physicality is his best attribute, but its far from his only one. He's a strong defensive player who will only get better with time, as he matures in terms of positioning, etc.

Most Toronto fans, I think, are actually quite reluctant to give him up--or at least much less eager to do so than Kadri. Outside of the discussions surrounding the JVR rumors, in fact, I don't think he's nearly as frequently mentioned as Kadri, Kulemin, etc.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote