HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Jacob Trouba - US NTDP, USHL (2012, 9th overall, Winnipeg)

Old
12-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Canuck71

vCash: 500
Kid looks like a stud. Has easily been the most impressive out of the US defenseman thus far IMO. And to think he's only a '94 birthdate playing in a 20 year olds tournament. Definitely looking like a surefire top 10 pick for this years draft.

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 03:29 PM
nanzenkills

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Kid is the real deal, IDK how much offensive upside he has, but incredibly high defensive IQ, gonna be a beast. Would love for the Ducks to grab a 2nd first and grab him
For some reason, I always had a feeling Washington would take him with one of their 2 first-rounders and add him to their core of Carlson, Alzner, Orlov, etc. However, the way he's playing right now, he might be gone before either of their picks come up.

nanzenkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 03:47 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanzenkills View Post
For some reason, I always had a feeling Washington would take him with one of their 2 first-rounders and add him to their core of Carlson, Alzner, Orlov, etc. However, the way he's playing right now, he might be gone before either of their picks come up.
I'm pretty sure that the Capitals know better than to draft American HS defensemen who play in a third rate league. I mean, that's what Carlson was and how did that work out for th... oh wait.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 07:38 PM
i love staal

Talking to some guys who watch Trouba a lot and work with the NTDP, they say he is probably 6 feet 2 inches and closer to 190 or 195 at this point. The fact he has grown and looks some what physically not mature is very promising as well. Got to say that during the World Juniors I personally have mixed feelings on his play. Looked nervous at first wiht denmark but made some nice plays. Against finland looked good at times but also I thought I saw the game speed up for him which can be his problem I feel. All in all though, the tools are there that is very evident.

i love staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 09:32 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
i hope come draft day he sinks like the titanic and ends up being taken by my team the Wild, not to say he isn't good which he is best US dman this tourney but i just want him on the Wild.

at least elite prospect has his birth city listed as Rochester MN which is where i live, so it would just be awesome to have him.

what the CHL rod polisher doesn't get is that when scouting a 17 years old and why he might be taken ahead of some CHL players is because scouts have to project what he might become, sometimes they get it right some times they get it wrong.

i don't get why we can't have two good developmental programs, no arguing that CHL produces some of the best players but hell its not like the US programs haven't produced some good talent.
He's actually from Rochester, Michigan. The USA Hockey website used to have him incorrectly listed as from Minnesota and a bunch of other sites picked it up.

12-29-2011, 10:29 PM
nanzenkills

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Best US defenseman by a good margin. Both the goals he was on the ice for he had no fault in. First one, Forbort turns it over at the blue line and then dogs it getting back allowing his man to get behind him for a breakaway pass and goal (flubbed shot on breakaway went in. Bad luck for Gibson/Good break for Finland). Second goal was on Forbort/Gibson again. Forbort loses his man along the wall and gets beat to the front. Gibson went for the poke and should have covered the puck but didn't and it got poked in. Another funky goal.

Trouba should be on the top pair. He's earning the minutes in the first 2 games. It doesn't hurt that Clendening has clearly showed he can't handle it.
This was exactly my impression of Trouba during the first period of the game against Denmark (I missed the other two due to family obligations). Forbort kept getting out of position and hanging Trouba out to dry, but every time other than the Danes' PPG, where he was outnumbered 2-to-1 in the slot, Trouba was able to cover for him. Trouba was also unbeatable one-on-one that period, I though he was the best player on the ice overall that period.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trouba rose a little bit in the rankings after the WJC, he's a good player.

Old
12-30-2011, 10:35 AM
Edges7

Quote:
Best US defenseman by a good margin. Both the goals he was on the ice for he had no fault in. First one, Forbort turns it over at the blue line and then dogs it getting back allowing his man to get behind him for a breakaway pass and goal (flubbed shot on breakaway went in. Bad luck for Gibson/Good break for Finland). Second goal was on Forbort/Gibson again. Forbort loses his man along the wall and gets beat to the front. Gibson went for the poke and should have covered the puck but didn't and it got poked in. Another funky goal.

Trouba should be on the top pair. He's earning the minutes in the first 2 games. It doesn't hurt that Clendening has clearly showed he can't handle it.
If I had to choose between Trouba and Ebert, I'd choose Ebert and not look back.

That said, kid is doing a good job and everyone should be proud of how he is handling himself.

Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 11:33 AM
nanzenkills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges7 View Post
If I had to choose between Trouba and Ebert, I'd choose Ebert and not look back.

That said, kid is doing a good job and everyone should be proud of how he is handling himself.
I'm curious to hear why you would make that choice, especially since every independent scouting service has Trouba ranked way above Ebert now.

Old
12-30-2011, 11:48 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

ISO video of Trouba

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 04:40 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
Love him. Even though he had a major blunder on the 4th Czech goal yesterday afternoon.

My full account
My Avs-only account
R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 04:45 PM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

vCash: 50
Quote:
He's actually from Rochester, Michigan. The USA Hockey website used to have him incorrectly listed as from Minnesota and a bunch of other sites picked it up.
Makes sense why, even if I am so in touch with the Rochester, MN hockey scene (Grew up there) I hadn't heard of the kid until the tournament. Regardless, one heck of a player and a bright spot in an otherwise horrible US defensive corps.

puckguy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:15 AM
Edges7

Quote:
I'm curious to hear why you would make that choice, especially since every independent scouting service has Trouba ranked way above Ebert now.
Define "independent" when it comes to this sport.

They were expecting Nick Ebert to be Bobby Orr all while knowing that Jacob Trouba isn't. They were also expecting Windsor to be, if not a strong team, a stronger team than they have shown - although after they traded Campbell, I never understood that thought process.

Windsor has a lot of issues, starting at goalkeeper in my opinion, and I believe that Ebert has, unfairly, shouldered a good portion of the blame for the team's misfortune.

Last edited by Edges7: 01-03-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old
01-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Ebert's had a tough year, but he has the tools. I'll be interested in seeing how his next year of development goes. If he can get his head on straight, he's a legit prospect.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:38 AM
nanzenkills

Quote:
Define "independent" when it comes to this sport.

They were expecting Nick Ebert to be Bobby Orr all while knowing that Jacob Trouba isn't. They were also expecting Windsor to be, if not a strong team, a stronger team than they have shown - although after they traded Campbell, I never understood that thought process.

Windsor has a lot of issues, starting at goalkeeper in my opinion, and I believe that Ebert has, unfairly, shouldered a good portion of the blame for the team's misfortune.
By "independent", I mean not directly affiliated with an NHL team. For example, ISS, RLR, Craig Button, FC, and McKeen's all have Trouba ranked well above Ebert.

I don't think anyone was ever expecting Ebert to be the next Bobby Orr. If they were, he would have been the clear #1 overall from the get-go for this draft.

I do actually think that Ebert has a little more offensive potential than Trouba. But I think Trouba has a more well-rounded game.

Old
01-03-2012, 11:39 AM
nanzenkills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Ebert's had a tough year, but he has the tools. I'll be interested in seeing how his next year of development goes. If he can get his head on straight, he's a legit prospect.
But do you think he is a better prospect than Trouba?

Old
01-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
I think he can be. Ebert's been under the white light of scrutiny far longer than Trouba. Warts are bound to come out. That said, he does have a lot of tools and projects well.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Edges7

Quote:
I do. Keep in mind that the discussion is centered on choosing between two very talented prospects. So, choosing one over the other isn't stating that one is "good" and the other "bad".

Old
01-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Edges7

Quote:
By "independent", I mean not directly affiliated with an NHL team. For example, ISS, RLR, Craig Button, FC, and McKeen's all have Trouba ranked well above Ebert.
Fair enough but my point is that they too rely on word of mouth from people who have agendas. Trust me on this.

Quote:
I don't think anyone was ever expecting Ebert to be the next Bobby Orr. If they were, he would have been the clear #1 overall from the get-go for this draft.
My hyperbole aside, Ebert slipped, at first, because he wasn't getting any points early on. My issue with CHL hockey has always been that offense is always the first and foremost tangible for any player without a GAA. Had a player like Brooks Orpik played in the CHL, he probably wouldn't have been drafted let alone in the first round but aged out instead.

Quote:
I do actually think that Ebert has a little more offensive potential than Trouba. But I think Trouba has a more well-rounded game.
Ebert was always a defensive force with some capability for offense. If you examine those two side by side, Ebert does have an offensive edge and he's every bit as strong and then some as Trouba is. The absolute deciding factor to me though is Ebert's hockey sense which is at a level that Trouba does not possess.

Old
01-03-2012, 10:22 PM
i love staal

Quote:
Fair enough but my point is that they too rely on word of mouth from people who have agendas. Trust me on this.

My hyperbole aside, Ebert slipped, at first, because he wasn't getting any points early on. My issue with CHL hockey has always been that offense is always the first and foremost tangible for any player without a GAA. Had a player like Brooks Orpik played in the CHL, he probably wouldn't have been drafted let alone in the first round but aged out instead.

Ebert was always a defensive force with some capability for offense. If you examine those two side by side, Ebert does have an offensive edge and he's every bit as strong and then some as Trouba is. The absolute deciding factor to me though is Ebert's hockey sense which is at a level that Trouba does not possess.
I have watched Ebert since he was 11 years old, and have followed him closely. He is a guy who matured physically very early but did not (and has not) peaked. The tools are there similar to Trouba. The one thing is that Ebert may be an inch or two shorter than Trouba. What I like about both of them is their mental makeup, this does not mean their hockey sense. The two are resilient and hard workers. Maybe because I am not in Windsor and do not follow Ebert on a day to day basis anymore, but I am surprised people challenge his desire to be a good hockey player. He gave up his very promising baseball career to play ice hockey full time.

At the same time, I would not say that Ebert was always strong defensively, he was often criticized for taking chances at time and falling in love with his immense physical tools to come back and make up for defensive deficiencies. At the same time, his hitting was a little bit weak for someone with his strength. I have seen (and heard) his defensive game has come a long way from the time he was in the USHL til now. The question is then does he have a high two way upside. Scouts believe Trouba's upside is immense. His hockey sense is developing at a rapid rate. At this point I still think Ebert deserves to be in the first round, maybe not top 5 anymore. Trouba is now firmly considered the best American defenseman in this draft.

i love staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Becel
I Hate Jamie Macoun

Trouba will be a solid NHLer no doubt, the question I have is does he get booed every time he touches the puck in Winnipeg because of this last year:

This was at the World U17's last year in Winnipeg and the kid got booed for the rest of the game. If my memory is correct I think Jack Johnson still gets booed in Vancouver because of a similar incident.

Becel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 04:45 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinebold View Post
Trouba will be a solid NHLer no doubt, the question I have is does he get booed every time he touches the puck in Winnipeg because of this last year:

This was at the World U17's last year in Winnipeg and the kid got booed for the rest of the game. If my memory is correct I think Jack Johnson still gets booed in Vancouver because of a similar incident.
No one will care about what happened in u-17's.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:22 AM
Edges7

Quote:
Originally Posted by i love staal View Post
At the same time, I would not say that Ebert was always strong defensively,
Keep in mind that when you were seeing him that he, a '94, was playing up a year against 93s. He excelled in front of his net from what I saw and I was seeing him from around the same time. He also played on very strong teams. Several of those 1993 NJ Avs are in USHL.

Last edited by Edges7: 01-05-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old
02-03-2012, 10:38 PM
TheIslesFan

vCash: 557
Anyone know how he's doing this year?

TheIslesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567