HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Attitude towards less-skilled players

Old
12-19-2011, 12:16 AM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Excellent thread, everyone's got their head screwed on right here lol.

Everyone started out where you were; some just seem to forget that. Whenever I play with beginner players, I try to feed them passes and encourage them. Every second with the puck is valuable at that stage. Most of the time the people I play shinny with are good about giving newer players a respectable amount of space to try something but without eliminating the competitive aspect either. No one likes to get a 'free pass' in any sport.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 02:39 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
I have been recently playing in several social leagues and at pick-up hockey where quite a few players, sometimes the majority, are more skilled than me. I can feel self-conscious playing in or against these teams, as though I am letting the team down or causing frustration for them.

Then again, last night my social league team lost 4-Nil. Okay, I didn't score a goal, but neither did the better players on the team.

It's just that a week ago, a guy on my team in a pick-up session almost wanted to "start something" with me in the carpark after the game because I had screwed up a few plays.

I am grateful for the advice I get from better players and I know I'm not the team's greatest asset, but how should I approach playing on these teams? Endlessly apologizing gets me nowhere. Everyone tells me you've gotta play against stronger players to challenge yourself and improve.
That 'guy' is an idiot. Guarnateed he's not as good as he thinks he is, and chances are everyone else hates them too.

I played with someone like that once too.
I was in a very good mens league that featured quite a few former pro's (AHL, Europe, etc). I'd say the average skill level was Junior C.
I didn't start playing until I was 13 and only played 2.5 years of houseleague. So that kind of tells you where my skill level is at.
Still, I worked hard and improved my game. I had a great year in this league one season scoring over a point per game and recording 12 goals in 21 games to go with 24 points. I was third on the team in scoring.
I wasn't, or will never be confused with being one of the best players in this league. But I learned to play with my limitations in order to be effective.
Meanwhile, THAT GUY, recorded whopping 6 points (2G-4A) in the 11 games he played with us.
He was constantly chirping at all the lesser players and would routinely hop the boards during a PP, PK or with 2 min left and in a close game.
Almost everyone hated his guts on our team. But he thought he was something special.

My favorite moment of that season was when karma came calling for him.
He was on a 2-on-1 and holding onto the puck. He waited too long to send the pass over, so by the time the puck got to his winger, even though the goalie was out of position, his winger was standing on the goaline and had an incredibly hard angle to score on. He missed the net.
When they got back to the bench, THAT GUY, started yapping and really giving it to him for not scoring.
So what do you think happened next? On the very next shift, the same two guys were on a 2-on-1 but this time his winger had the puck. He fed him a perfect pass and with the goalie in the corner, was staring at an empty net, on his forehand, and about 6' from the cage. He shoots it wide.
Dude didn't hear the end of it for the rest of the game. Low and behold, he wasn't around for the next game, or the next, or the next. Suddenly he was 'injured' and couldn't play for 3 months.

Don't let those jerks bother you. Like so many others here have said, it's hardly the truly talented guys that give lesser players like you and me a hard time.
It's the 3rd-liners who finally know someone a bit worse than them, and they make sure they feel better about themselves by berating them.

If it makes you feel better, just tell the guy to shut the EFF up.
I remember telling THAT GUY "I can always get better at hockey, but you'll always be an a'hole.".

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 07:20 PM
shawn1331

Yep this thread is spot on buddy, I play varisty and I'm not that great but I make sure to tell the other guys what they did good and offer encouragement like "good shift, or good try" even when it really wasn't a good shift at all.

Then I go out and try to play solid D and not get scored on. And I'm proud to say I have yet to be scored on while the better players have been scored on at least 8 times in the 5 games we played.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 06:46 PM
beenhereandthere

Just about the only time I can get a little jerky with other players are those that ice hog and those that don't pass (and of course cheap shots, but usually most people are cool and it's not too common in pick up).....
as far as playing with players less talented than me.....well, what can you do? They paid their $ and have a right to play as well.....and I'm sure, that if I played at a high level....players would be frustrated with me, but would, most likely, just keep it inside.
What I don't like, is when players give the less skilled players, the silent treatment, but treat the ex junior or above players like Gods, off the ice.

beenhereandthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:10 AM
ThisIsMyAlibi
Howson = Herminated

"Hey idiot, it's a social league. Your dream is over. You're not getting there. **** off."

ThisIsMyAlibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 01:19 PM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Excellent thread, everyone's got their head screwed on right here lol.

Everyone started out where you were; some just seem to forget that. Whenever I play with beginner players, I try to feed them passes and encourage them. Every second with the puck is valuable at that stage. Most of the time the people I play shinny with are good about giving newer players a respectable amount of space to try something but without eliminating the competitive aspect either. No one likes to get a 'free pass' in any sport.
Right, exactly. It's a competitive game and if it's late in the 3rd period, you're down by 1 and the newbie is on the ice then maybe it isn't the best time to feed him pass after pass. That said, encouragement and inclusion towards the new guys/girls from the seasoned vets goes a long way towards developing both skill and confidence.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 01:42 AM
uncleodb

I play in a rec league and I'm one of the average to less than average players on my team. One thing that bugs me is that I get less ice time b/c I'm asked to skip my shift near the end of the 3rd period to allow the better players on my team to play if the score is close. I'm also not on either power play or penalty kill lines. I'm actually praying no penalties are called in the game. None of these games count; all teams make it to the play offs. It's frustrating especially when we all pay the same. Just my pet peeve.

uncleodb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:15 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleodb View Post
I play in a rec league and I'm one of the average to less than average players on my team. One thing that bugs me is that I get less ice time b/c I'm asked to skip my shift near the end of the 3rd period to allow the better players on my team to play if the score is close. I'm also not on either power play or penalty kill lines. I'm actually praying no penalties are called in the game. None of these games count; all teams make it to the play offs. It's frustrating especially when we all pay the same. Just my pet peeve.
Whichever line is up next gets to kill the penalties or man the powerplay on our team. Works pretty well as everyone improves a bit on both ends of the ice throughout the season. Though we do have 10-12 tiers here, so the skill level disparities aren't too great.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:39 AM
dwreckm

I'd like to just say something real quick. I'm by the very definition a novice player, or a beginner. In total, I've played around 10 or 12 games, never having played before, and only ice skating maybe 4 or 5 times with crappy rental skates before that. I admit I'm not great, I can't skate backwards, can't stop worth a ****, but I know where to position myself as I watch a lot of tape.

That being said, what bothers me, and what I don't want, is the people I'm playing with giving me a free ride, and not trying to stop me when I'm on a breakaway, or poke check, and give me open lanes to the net. I can't get better without a challenge. If you see me doing something stupid, please tell me, I won't get mad, I'll learn. Don't be afraid to shove me into the boards either, I enjoy the physical aspect of the game, and I didn't buy pads just to soften my landing when I trip over my own feet.

Anyways, good chat.

dwreckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 03:25 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwreckm View Post
I'd like to just say something real quick. I'm by the very definition a novice player, or a beginner. In total, I've played around 10 or 12 games, never having played before, and only ice skating maybe 4 or 5 times with crappy rental skates before that. I admit I'm not great, I can't skate backwards, can't stop worth a ****, but I know where to position myself as I watch a lot of tape.

That being said, what bothers me, and what I don't want, is the people I'm playing with giving me a free ride, and not trying to stop me when I'm on a breakaway, or poke check, and give me open lanes to the net. I can't get better without a challenge. If you see me doing something stupid, please tell me, I won't get mad, I'll learn. Don't be afraid to shove me into the boards either, I enjoy the physical aspect of the game, and I didn't buy pads just to soften my landing when I trip over my own feet.

Anyways, good chat.
Don't let that discourage you. You'll still get better even if the players are "giving you a free ride" and in some cases, they're actually providing you an opportunity to work on some skills in an actual game.

I only play ball hockey, and it's a co-ed league where you get some absolutely beginner players, and I'll let them keep the ball on their stick for a few moments more just so that they can learn what it's like to have the ball on their stick, how it feels, etc.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote