HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Everything Scott Gomez: The Official Discussion

Old
02-04-2012, 07:34 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
It's looking pretty much impossible for Gomez to score more than Cam Ward this season.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 07:44 AM
Latrappe
If Cam allow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...220022446.html (Greg Wysnysky)

"Yes indeed, the "Gomez Celebrations" are being organized by Montreal fans through a website and on Facebook for the Feb. 5 anniversary. Let's hope they never happen.

(...)

We like redemption stories and comeback tales. Most of us wanted to see Marian Hossa win the Stanley Cup, right? (Pipe down, Pittsburgh and Detroit).

And now, as the piling-on is getting emphatic … perhaps a small minority of hockey fans are hoping to see Scott Gomez score a goal before the anniversary hits."

Can Scott put an end to it vs the Devils or the Caps?
What's more pathetic: the " piling on " or a guy who accept a 7 million paycheck for doing NOTHING. As i said elsewhere, if Gomez has an once of pride in him, he will retire.

Latrappe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:00 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
What's more pathetic: the " piling on " or a guy who accept a 7 million paycheck for doing NOTHING. As i said elsewhere, if Gomez has an once of pride in him, he will retire.
To quote Winston Bogarde

"Why would I walk away from money that is mine. The minute i signed that contract that money was my money, I was not going to walk away from it"

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Latrappe
If Cam allow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
To quote Winston Bogarde

"Why would I walk away from money that is mine. The minute i signed that contract that money was my money, I was not going to walk away from it"
Because, sometimes, there's things, in life, who are far more valuable then money. Pride of being everything you can be or more is one of these things. I'm sure Patrick Roy is livid to see a guy like Gomez smiling, each and every day, knowing that he could do so much more for his team.

Old
02-04-2012, 08:21 AM
HeShootsHeScores

I find this sarcastic celebration totally stupid.

A GM wanted to give him 7 millions a year, and another GM agreed to bring him here for a great prospect. End of the story. Overpaid, Bad trade, move on.

HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeShootsHeScores View Post
I find this sarcastic celebration totally stupid.

A GM wanted to give him 7 millions a year, and another GM agreed to bring him here for a great prospect. End of the story. Overpaid, Bad trade, move on.
We're talking about Montreal here. The Ribeiro trade is still a hot topic after 5 years.

Now you have a 7M$, 5-year Niinimaa for what is now a top pairing defenseman of 22 years on the best team in the East. That's also outscoring him.

It's not gonna go down easily.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:29 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitespy View Post
Image they had a _your name here_ day cause you can't seem to get on the right track at work? This **** is stupid.
Your a highly visible athelete making a TON of cash and you haven't come close to performing, so you take the criticism while you cash in you six figure check every two weeks.

I want him to go back to #91...Koivu and Muller wore #11 and he has soiled it!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:33 AM
icerocket

Can't wait to celebrate Gomez day!!!!

I hope he wants to retire after.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
@Skorpion, I don't buy that stuff. If I were in his(Gomez) shoes, I'd be the 1st guy donating like 1 Million bucks to the Montreal Children's Hospital or something.
And you know he hasn't how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
With high quality ice-time Gomez has not scored a goal in 1 calendar year (maybe I just jynxed him) and has barely been booed at all ; and when he is, a big portion of the crowd loudly cheers to negate them. Frankly, I don't think he's had it too bad in Montreal.
Except when he turns on the TV and hears about his goaless streak. Or he opens a paper. Or he turns on the radio. Sure the crowd in the Bell Centre has been fairly decent but it doesn't negate the abnormal hate for this guy throughout the entire city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
if you want to criticize anyone for this mess, go no further than Gainey...

chill out, enjoy the parody, might as well have some fun with it to distract from what a cluster ******* it was trading for him in the first place and being stuck with him now.
Couldn't agree more on the Gainey front. However the Gainey part kind of takes away the rest of the point you are making here. LA Lakers, Patriots, Celtics, Yankees. Look at their top-payed players. The ones at the top are the BEST of the team. Is Gomez the best player on the Habs? Clearly not. I would get the anger from a city if the highest paid player - who is also considered the best - would be ridiculed for having a rough season. At that though, a website and event planned is still harsh. In this situation, Sather was a moron for giving Gomez that much money and Gainey is an even bigger moron for trading a future franchise defenseman to take on this albatross of a contract.

I can't chill out with this. You may see it's a parody but this is a classic act of bullying someone. Sure most will laugh and shrug off the bully label, but when you ridicule someone to this point of no return, it becomes disgusting to watch.

Shawn Wilken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:58 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Montreal the best fans in the NHL? Ya right, think again.

I can't believe the extent that people will go to ridicule a person. I am not happy that we are losing nor am I happy that Gomez hasn't scored a goal in over calendar year, but really does that give us the right, as the best fans, to ridicule him? I don't remember hearing anything like this happen in any other city when Pittsburgh, Chicago, Washington, Philly etc. were losing. (although if anyone can let me know if they had seen something of this nature, inform me please) So how are we the best fans?

This year I have found myself trying to keep interest, but unlike other years I don't care if I miss a game. My nonchalance is due more from MANAGEMENT choice than any individual player. If the fans really cared about the product on the ice and wanted to do something about it, we should stop spending money on the team, going to games, watching it on TV. Gomez is not the problem but we pick on him because it makes us feel better about the situation. Since we can't laugh and be happy that the team is winning, so let's laugh at someone else's misfortune. I've heard all kinds of excuses, but in the end a "great fanbase" stands by their players win or lose, up or down. Not the Montreal Canadeins fanbase, we like to slander our players to the point where they, nor anyone else would want to join this team anymore. Ok sure the fans insulting Gomez are having a good laugh, but who will have the last laugh when we notice players have no interest in joining this team because they fear similar exposure.

This is the MANAGEMENTS problem, not any individual player. Unfortunately for the "best fans" in the NHL, they are the most disconnected from reality. If we want to make an impact, hit them where it hurts, the wallet. Hurting Gomez, ridiculing him changes nothing.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
if you want to criticize anyone for this mess, go no further than Gainey...

he brought this situation into the organization, and frankly I don't think fans in any other major sports market would be any "classier" in dealing with it.

to be honest, this whole "celebration" thing strikes me as being a bit of self-depricating humour on the part of the fan base.

How do you think the LA Lakers fans would treat an unproductive player taking up such a big chunk of their cap space?

NFL doesn't have this problem since players just get cut when they perform as poorly as Gomez has, but can you imagine the vitriol you'd see from Jets or Giants fans if their team was stuck with an ineffective player as their highest paid player?

same thing with european soccer... players that stink it up get a ton of abuse from fans, stadiums chanting insults towards them...

Frankly, Gomez has gotten off pretty lightly all things considered. In other cities/sports he might be facing non-stop booing every time he hit the field of play.

chill out, enjoy the parody, might as well have some fun with it to distract from what a cluster ******* it was trading for him in the first place and being stuck with him now.
But that guy (Gomez) doesn't play soccer or football so who cares what soccer and football fans do to the players?

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 04:26 PM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGlkz...eature=related

Let's celebrate!

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Clumsyhab

Carbo is being an *** on l'Antichambre asking fans to boo Gomez like they did for Brisebois.

Clumsyhab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post

Couldn't agree more on the Gainey front. However the Gainey part kind of takes away the rest of the point you are making here. LA Lakers, Patriots, Celtics, Yankees. Look at their top-payed players. The ones at the top are the BEST of the team. Is Gomez the best player on the Habs? Clearly not. I would get the anger from a city if the highest paid player - who is also considered the best - would be ridiculed for having a rough season. At that though, a website and event planned is still harsh. In this situation, Sather was a moron for giving Gomez that much money and Gainey is an even bigger moron for trading a future franchise defenseman to take on this albatross of a contract.

I can't chill out with this. You may see it's a parody but this is a classic act of bullying someone. Sure most will laugh and shrug off the bully label, but when you ridicule someone to this point of no return, it becomes disgusting to watch.
i'm not a bully at all, and I'll be enjoying the "celebration"...

different perspective I guess. Watching today, fans were actually cheering every time he touched the puck or got a shot off... while it might be a somewhat cynical cheer, at the end of the day I'd say it's better than boos raining down, and the 1-year anniversary is at least part of why the tone has shifted.

again, if you look at other rabid fan bases around the world, you'll find actual bullying/threats directed towards players (heck, didn't the niners kick-returner get some death threats after his 2 fumbles... imagine what those fans would be thinking about gomez!)... this is not at all the same think imo.

but if it does bother you that much, probably best to just separate yourself from it all for a bit, because tomorrow we're gonna party like it's 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
But that guy (Gomez) doesn't play soccer or football so who cares what soccer and football fans do to the players?
perhaps because my post was in reply to a comment relating to habs fans as being "best in the world"?

this is the problem with parachuting into a discussion without knowing what's being discussed.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Carbo is being an *** on l'Antichambre asking fans to boo Gomez like they did for Brisebois.
Did he really say this?

If so, a comment like that certainly won't improve his chances of finding another NHL head coaching job.

02-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Latrappe
If Cam allow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Did he really say this?

If so, a comment like that certainly won't improve his chances of finding another NHL head coaching job.
He didn't. He said that Gomez " received " a TON of slack from the fans, even if he didn't score for a full year, while Brisebois was booed for every single mistake. I think Carbonneau wanted the fans to target the players who are responsible for that mess and not only the french speaking ones...

Old
02-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Did he really say this?

Quote: "Je ne comprend pas pourquoi les fans ont hué Brisebois et ne huent pas Gomez".

Clumsyhab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Quote: "Je ne comprend pas pourquoi les fans ont hué Brisebois et ne huent pas Gomez".
I hope he comprend why he is sitting on a chair in front of a camera, talking about the hockey game rather than behind the bench.

Shawn Wilken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 05:31 PM
ThaDevilGirl

I really want Gomez to score tomorrow. Would be awesome. Hopefully it's the GWG too.

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 05:35 PM
FlyingRat

It's pretty ironic that it's exactly that kind of ******** that made Brière turn down more money from Montreal to sign in Philadelphia and thus making them pursue Gomez.

FlyingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 05:37 PM
zx81

That would be worse for Gomez if he scores tomorrow.
He would be known for only scoring February 5th of each year
The one day per year guy.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Vinc360

I'm not saying it's right to boo Gomez but I don't think anyone has a problem with him personally. I think people are booing his contract, which GAUTHIER should be embarrassed about. Gomez is incredibly (and I mean INCREDIBLY) overpaid, but he does have heart and isn't even playing that bad, just not on the level of his salary. So fans are completely right about "making fun" of the SITUATION. I don't think they're making fun of him or saying he doesn't work hard. It's the management people are making fun of. Same situation with the Markov fiasco. I hear a lot of people making Markov jokes and nobody says it's "disrespectful".

And honestly, Gomez can take it. He's a big boy. And Montreal fans are amazing, they really are. You just can't mess with them. Gauthier is messing with the fans, it's as simple as that. To the guy saying it doesn't happen elsewhere... that's true. Stuff like that doesn't seem to happen much in other markets because I can't remember the last time a center was paid 7 million dollars and failed to score a single goal in a calendar year.

Edit: Obviously when I say gauthier I also mean gainey...

Vinc360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 05:42 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
And you know he hasn't how?

Except when he turns on the TV and hears about his goaless streak. Or he opens a paper. Or he turns on the radio. Sure the crowd in the Bell Centre has been fairly decent but it doesn't negate the abnormal hate for this guy throughout the entire city.

Great to see I'm not the only one. Makes my stomach turn to see so many people so dedicated at celebrating another person's misery. At the lowest point in those people's lives, I hope someone kicks em while their down and blatantly laughs at their misfortunes. Just for kicks.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Vinc360

Guys Gomez isn't "down" right now, he's not in a slump... he's just OVERPAID. That's all. He's not giving up on the team, he plays pretty well for a 3rd/4th center. He shouldn't be ashamed of how he plays, he was offered a crapload of money and took it like everyone else would. Gainey/Gauthier should be ashamed and that's why the fans are ridiculing the situation. Nobody's saying Gomez is the most horrible player in the NHL.

Vinc360 is offline   Reply With Quote