HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What brand of hockey cards are most valuable

Old
01-30-2012, 08:33 PM
prob22

vCash: 500
What brand of hockey cards are most valuable

Never collected hockey cards before but when I collected football cards bowman's were always what I collected. What are the top hockey brands?

prob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:22 PM
hockeykid87

Depends how much money you want to spend. If you want to spend about $500 for 5/6 cards, buy a tin of The Cup. If you're looking for something more practical, Upper Deck comes out with "Series 1/2" every year which is your basic set. A box of 24 packs costs about $70 I think. You'll get 2 jersey cards in a box, 6 rookies, sometimes an autograph if you're lucky. Like I said it all depends how much money you want to spend. Series 1 and 2 are always my favorites

hockeykid87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:38 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 1271
While everything now is made by Upper Deck, isn't Upper Deck "The Cup" the most expensive nowadays?

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:43 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by prob22 View Post
Never collected hockey cards before but when I collected football cards bowman's were always what I collected. What are the top hockey brands?
Opee-Chee and Bowman are valuable prior to the early 80's. Upper Deck is avg. at best. "The Cup" cards are way way to expensive IMO. I would much rather purchase NHL memorabilia myself.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:52 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Eriksson View Post
Opee-Chee and Bowman are valuable prior to the early 80's. Upper Deck is avg. at best. "The Cup" cards are way way to expensive IMO. I would much rather purchase NHL memorabilia myself.
Amen.

For the price of one good card from "The Cup" you could buy yourself an assload of kick ass goodies like a jersey, or some signed n framed photos etc. instead.

Old
01-31-2012, 09:48 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

There's only 3 companies out there that are making hockey cards nowadays. Upperdeck, Panini and In the Game. All 3 companies produce a good amount of different sets. I've always bought upperdeck, Series 1 is good to start with, there young gun rookies are pretty popular, I also like Black Diamond and SP authentic. All 3 can be had for around $100 each for a hobby box. Dominion from Panini and The Cup from Upperdeck both cost a small fortune $400-500 but it's your best bet for that huge hit.

Check out sportscardforum.com it's a trading/buying/selling site, you should find all the answers you need there.

Last edited by Bring_Bak_Damphousse: 01-31-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:30 PM
roaddogg02316

I can suggest sportscardforum as well. Very good site. I'm actually putting all my cards into their inventory manager. Lots to sell(preferred) or trade.

There are all ranges of stuff you can buy. Cheap(Score, Donruss) Expensive(The Cup or anything where you pay alot but you get very few cards) Because they are almost always going to be hits(high value cards) autographs, game used.

If you need anything let me know. Always looking to move cards.

roaddogg02316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:21 AM
backhander

the one's before the economy tanked....if you have to invest in hockey cards....buy stuff...pre 90's and older.

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:57 PM
BAuldie

Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Amen.

For the price of one good card from "The Cup" you could buy yourself an assload of kick ass goodies like a jersey, or some signed n framed photos etc. instead.
Thats a tad of an exaggeration.. really.. the vast vast majority of cup singles sell for under 100.. Now actually buying a box/case then yea.. you have a point.

I 3rd the sportscardforum.com recommendations.. I may be a bit biased but that's ok.

BAuldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:41 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAuldie View Post
Thats a tad of an exaggeration.. really.. the vast vast majority of cup singles sell for under 100.. Now actually buying a box/case then yea.. you have a point.
That's what I meant.

I mean what if, you bought a box of "The Cup" and only got one truly good card....if that.

To me it's not worth it. Hence why I said you could buy yourself an assload of kick ass goodies like an Authentic jersey, or some signed n framed photos etc. instead.

Old
06-15-2013, 02:55 PM
coolhockeyjack
Bobby looooou

Upper Deck has a series called The Cup. It sells for 400 dollars. It comes with 6 cards. They have jersey cut outs, draft board pieces ( yes they cut of pieces of the draft board), and signed cards.

coolhockeyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 03:04 PM
deems

The hockey card market tanked a while back, including Gretzky and Howe rookies (Gretzky $800 to $550 and Howe $3000 to $2500). Memorabilia is a better purchase and a more enjoyable one. You can display it somewhere vs. a little hockey card. I think resale favors memorabilia as well.

deems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:18 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

ITG Ultimate always intrigued me if I had an unlimited budget. They had 1/1 cut auto's from guys who played pre-war I think.

I'm personally more into displayable memorabilia than anything but if you want to buy the most expensive set, just start building 51-52 Parkhurst haha.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote