HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How good is Cody Franson and what is he worth?

Old
02-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

vCash: 500
I wouldn't trade him unless its in a package for a top player ... And even then, I might prefer to trade Schenn instead.

Franson is playing great, awesome shot, very physical (regardless of what most of you say), and is a decent skater (better than Schenn).

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 02:59 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
I wouldn't trade him unless its in a package for a top player ... And even then, I might prefer to trade Schenn instead.

Franson is playing great, awesome shot, very physical (regardless of what most of you say), and is a decent skater (better than Schenn).
I agree with you. He is looking promising and good as is right now, I love our team, it's more solid than people think. Little snippity snew of the coaching Mr Magoo and you got yourself a playoff team.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Darkhorse1280

I really wouldn't be surprised if the Leafs upper brass believe that Franson's value to this club is worth more than Schenn's at this point.

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Stephen

I could see him being a rangy minute munching two way defenseman with a lack of mean streak and physicality like Jay Bouwmeester, without Jaybo's speed.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:13 PM
showtime8

For a guy that was a healthy scratch, to one of the most improved on the team, I want to see a full season out of him before I start making assessments.

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:17 PM
LeafsFan2342
#CallupColborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessely Snipes View Post
I think Franson needs to be resigned. He has played well since getting a fair opportunity to start.
YES! Thank You! Franson IS the reason Burke took the chance on Lombardi's contract. Franson is a young and very promising offensive defenseman with a great shot and PP capability. It would be huge mistake to trade him.

LeafsFan2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:34 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Franson is key on this club

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:47 PM
seanlinden

One thing that I dont think has been mentioned here -- offer sheets.

Cody Franson is a good defenceman no doubt, but a team could give him up to $1.5m and only give up a 3rd round pick, or $3.1m and only give up a 2nd. With Phaneuf at $6.5m, Komisarek at $4.5m, Liles at $3.9m, Schenn at $3.6, Gunnarsson at $1.3 m and Gardiner at $1.1m, it probably doesn't make sense to pay Franson that kind of money.

Furthermore, if Toronto doesn't move a defenceman at the deadline or in the offseason, I have a difficult time imagining that Franson will want to stay.

To me, the obvious solution is that you've gotta move Komi at the deadline so that Aulie slots in as the #7 (good with a top 6 that might be a little bit too puckmovement heavy)... easier said than done with Burke at the helm though.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:49 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurHometown View Post
How good is Cody Franson and what is he worth?
Much better than Ron Wilson seems to think.

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:53 PM
Stats01

Franson is a must sign! How we got him for Lebda and Slaney is beyond me. He has one of the best and accurate shots from the point that I've seen from a Leaf player since....I don't even know. His shot is low and hard all the time. Why he isn't used on the PP more is beyond me. Ron Wilson is terrible at player management, just a horrible coach.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 06:19 AM
toronto murphy laws

Can anyone tell me how he looked in the playoffs last year with Nashville? I didn't watch any of that series.

He's definitely verging on untouchable imo. Obviously all in the context of what's being offered though.

He's got a great shot, keeps the puck in the offensive zone well, and has a great first pass.

toronto murphy laws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 06:31 AM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonajams View Post
Can anyone tell me how he looked in the playoffs last year with Nashville? I didn't watch any of that series.

He's definitely verging on untouchable imo. Obviously all in the context of what's being offered though.

He's got a great shot, keeps the puck in the offensive zone well, and has a great first pass.
I believe he was given protected minutes. He played on second powerplay unit and usually played against Lapierre line.

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:20 AM
daveleaf

When Burke made this trade I thought it was a great deal just based on Franson.

You get tired of hearing of protected minutes. The kid played great in the playoffs. Anyone who plays any minutes with Suter or Weber will be called 'protected minutes'. In my eyes he never looked at out place. We can go through the history of the NHL and I can pick out line mates that ended up in the hall of fame that guys would call 'protected minutes'.

He has a great shot, skates great for a big man and one can argue has more upside than Schenn if you really break it down. I'm not trying to make this player into a super star or anything but he is a great fit on this team.

Komo has to go!!!

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:22 AM
NigelTufnel

I like Franson quite a bit, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it if he's moved for the right price.

As for what he's worth, I'd say probably a mid to late first rounder.

NigelTufnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:30 AM
tuckerdomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
He's better than Schenn, what do you feel Schenn is worth?
Way better then Luke... Luke gets more ice cause he's being showcased.. anyone have the on ice stats?

tuckerdomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post

Cody Franson is a good defenceman no doubt, but a team could give him up to $1.5m and only give up a 3rd round pick, or $3.1m and only give up a 2nd. With Phaneuf at $6.5m, Komisarek at $4.5m, Liles at $3.9m, Schenn at $3.6, Gunnarsson at $1.3 m and Gardiner at $1.1m, it probably doesn't make sense to pay Franson that kind of money.

Furthermore, if Toronto doesn't move a defenceman at the deadline or in the offseason, I have a difficult time imagining that Franson will want to stay.

To me, the obvious solution is that you've gotta move Komi at the deadline so that Aulie slots in as the #7 (good with a top 6 that might be a little bit too puckmovement heavy)... easier said than done with Burke at the helm though.
You're worried about a $1.5 million offer sheet for Franson? Really?

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Igy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post

I wouldn't be worried about an offer sheet. Burke would match, for sure.

Gardiner is on an ELC and Gunnar was signed cheap because he hasn't shown anything until now. Franson has proven to be a top 4 D man and will only get better.

Igy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:48 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
I believe he was given protected minutes. He played on second powerplay unit and usually played against Lapierre line.
Pretty sure Preds fans were saying it was the best they had seen him play all year.

He was incredibly physical, much like he is on a good night here in Toronto, but was also a great shot blocker (IIRC) and was instrumental in their second pairing (I THINK) lol.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Lebanese Leaf

I'll put it this way, if we trade Franson for a pick, I would expect nothing less than a top 15 first rounder.

That's how good I personally think he has become for us.

Lebanese Leaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Igy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
I'll put it this way, if we trade Franson for a pick, I would expect nothing less than a top 15 first rounder.

That's how good I personally think he has become for us.
I agree.

Igy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:15 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
You're worried about a $1.5 million offer sheet for Franson? Really?
No, I'm worried about a $2 - $2.5m offer sheet for Franson... from a team willing to pay for potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igy View Post
I wouldn't be worried about an offer sheet. Burke would match, for sure.

Gardiner is on an ELC and Gunnar was signed cheap because he hasn't shown anything until now. Franson has proven to be a top 4 D man and will only get better.
That doesn't mean it would be a good idea to match. He hasn't proven to be a top 4 defenceman (not sure how you can call a 16-minute defenceman a top 4 guy, I believe there's also a stat going around which shows that he's yet to play 20 minutes in any game this year) and paying $2.5m for that makes absolutely no sense when we've got Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Komisarek, Liles, Schenn, Gardiner and Aulie.

If we ditch Komisarek, then sure, sign Franson to a deal that pays him on potential, but we can't be burning cap space like that to add to our group of depth defencemen. Don't get me wrong, I think Franson's going to be a really good defenceman down the road, but there's no way he adds that kind of incremental value when we've got so many other players at or above his calibre.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote