HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hamilton Bulldogs/Wheeling Nailers 2011-12 season V2.0

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Talks to Goalposts

vCash: 500
Question for those that watch most Hamilton games.

Leblanc's statistical profile breaks down like this:

.36 goals per game (solid, 30 goal rate in 82 games)
.68 points per game (decent but not spectacular for a 1st round talent in AHL at 20. To think he has a future as a scorer in the NHL you'd want him above .75)
Point total fairly heavily biased towards goals, even for scoring winger.
3.68 shots per game (Massive, one of the best I've seen in a 20 year old AHLer. Suggests he is extraordinarily good at getting in scoring position with the puck and generating personal scoring chances. Best comparable at 20 I've found is Montreal's own Max Pacioretty who had 3.44 per game)
7 of 9 goals on ES (very good, getting PP time but goal totals aren't inflated by it).

Solid NHL scoring when called up (2.45 per 60 minutes ES which gets adjusted to 1.92 factoring in abnormally high team on ice shooting%. 1.92 is a very good rate for pretty much any player that isn't a superstar) that isn't biased towards goals.
And I've heard that he generally plays on a 2nd line away from the team's established forward talent in Palushaj and Engqvist, both on ES and PP.

From this I would conclude that Leblanc is either
1. really good player at the AHL level that is something of a puckhog (accounting for bias towards goals and massive shot totals by being selfish with the puck),

2. an excellent AHL player that plays with linemates nowhere near his level (accounting for profile by being the guy that scores largely by himself with relatively less support from teammates) (NHL equivalent, Phil Kessel in Toronto pre-Lupul)

3. a guy whose teammates deliberately feed him the puck because he's the guy most likely to score (like Ryder on Koivu's line).

4. Belonging to the "spray and pray" low percentage shots school of goal scoring (like Gionta but more so) when playing in the AHL.

Which would be the more accurate interpretation based on watching him play?

Last edited by Talks to Goalposts: 02-03-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old
02-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post

.68 points per game (decent but not spectacular for a 1st round talent in AHL at 20. To think he has a future as a scorer in the NHL you'd want him above .75)
3.68 shots per game (Massive, one of the best I've seen in a 20 year old AHLer, suggests he is extraordinarily good at getting in scoring position with the puck and generating personal scoring chances. Best comparable at 20 I've found is Montreal's own Max Pacioretty who had 3.44 per game)
7 of 9 goals on ES (very good, getting PP time but goal totals aren't inflated by it).

Solid NHL scoring when called up (2.45 per 60 minutes ES which gets adjusted to 1.92 factoring in abnormally high team on ice shooting%. 1.92 is a very good rate for pretty much any player that isn't a superstar) that isn't biased towards goals.
And I've heard that he generally plays on a 2nd line away from the team's established forward talent in Palushaj and Engqvist, both on ES and PP.

1. really good player at the AHL level that is something of a puckhog (accounting for bias towards goals and massive shot totals by being selfish with the puck),

2. an excellent AHL player that plays with linemates nowhere near his level (accounting for profile by being the guy that scores largely by himself with relatively less support from teammates) (NHL equivalent, Phil Kessel in Toronto pre-Lupul)

3. a guy whose teammates deliberately feed him the puck because he's the guy most likely to score (like Ryder on Koivu's line).

4. Belonging to the "spray and pray" low percentage shots school of goal scoring (like Gionta but more so) when playing in the AHL.

Great post. Hope you get an answer.

Old
02-03-2012, 01:02 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post

3.68 shots per game (Massive, one of the best I've seen in a 20 year old AHLer, suggests he is extraordinarily good at getting in scoring position with the puck and generating personal scoring chances. Best comparable at 20 I've found is Montreal's own Max Pacioretty who had 3.44 per game)

none of the above

Old
02-03-2012, 06:30 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Well, there you go, Derek Wills just said Conboy was out for the season.

Habs Prospects website
Old
02-03-2012, 06:56 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsprospects View Post
Well, there you go, Derek Wills just said Conboy was out for the season.
yea he said it last week for the first time, before that it was that he's out long term.

Huge back to back series, really sucks no Palushaj or Leblanc.

Lines were all over the place due to all the penalties but something like,

Dumont Masse Schultz (they started the game)
Fortier Willsie Nattinen
Lefebvre Engqvist Berger
FitzGerald DeSimone Avtsin

Fortier 7 PP (Engqvist, St-Denis) 1-1 after 1, good game so far.

Old
02-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Beakermania*

What a 2nd period.

5-1 Dogs now.

Old
02-03-2012, 07:55 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Fun game to watch, could easily be 7-1 or 8-1.

Got to give credit to Avtsin, he's not 100% but the coaching staff asked him if he could give them 3 or 4 shifts a period since they don't have enough players for the game without him. (Stafford is at home for personal reasons)

FitzGerald isn't very smart. Dogs up 3-1 on the road in a huge division game, and he tries to spear garnet exelby right in front of the ref. Gets 5 and a game (granted he was sticking up for Dumont who got cheap shoted by exelby) If he gets suspended the Dogs will not have enough players for tomorrows game so they will need to call up Malka from the ECHL.

Old
02-03-2012, 09:33 PM
pachorella

Who should make it to the AHL next year?

The franchise has a lot of young prospects playing in "junior" and knocking the door of the ahl. Hamilton Bulldogs record this year so far :20-19-1
Obviously, the management staff is looking forward to move some youngsters from the junior to the ahl in order to observe them closely, teach them the system and improve the team.
Who out of the youngsters you think will make the ahl transition next year.
In my opinion

FORWARDS:

Brendan Gallagher
Micheal Bournival
Danny Kristo

DEFENSMAN:
Nathan Beaulieu
Jarred Tinordi

Old
02-03-2012, 09:38 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

That plus Ellis, Holland, Quailer, Pateryn and MAYBE Westin or Nygren or Pribyl.

Old
02-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Those 5 you mentioned will all be AHL material. Depending on how bad the Habs gut the team in the off-season, Gallaghar may go straight to NHL! Maybe with great training camps 1 D also.

Old
02-03-2012, 09:49 PM
pachorella

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
That plus Ellis, Holland, Quailer, Pateryn and MAYBE Westin or Nygren or Pribyl.
I agree, Holland specifically is having a great season with the Americans(whl), a great improve from last year and being acquired in the trade give him this edge that he just recently interested the habs

Old
02-03-2012, 11:29 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
none of the above
enough with the suspense... if it's none of the above, what's your take on him?

Old
02-04-2012, 03:22 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
none of the above
that is so unlike you...

answers man, give 'em!

Old
02-04-2012, 11:27 AM
katatoniak

Schultz looks to be a lot better stats wise then last year... If he continues this way, he could possibly get a call up during next season to see what he got.

Old
02-04-2012, 02:41 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachorella View Post
The franchise has a lot of young prospects playing in "junior" and knocking the door of the ahl. Who out of the youngsters you think will make the ahl transition next year
Gallagher, Bournival, Tinordi, Ellis, Beaulieu, Holland and Pateryn. Kristo I would assume he will be there as well. Quailer I don't know if he will turn pro or go back to the NCAA for his Senior year, if it wasn't so crowded I would think he'd be turning pro but we'll have to see what management wants to do as I don't ever recall the Habs having such a large and skilled group of prospects all turning pro at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Pribyl they would need to buy him out of the final year of his contract in the Czech league, so with the already large incoming crowd, perhaps they will be better off leaving him there for one more year to improve his foot speed and mobility instead of putting him in the AHL at 19 and with likely limited ice time.

Since Nygren doesn't need to be signed this summer, and this is his first full season in the SEL (or was until he got sent down) perhaps they will leave him in Sweden for one more year instead of trying to find a spot for him in the AHL on what should be a very crowded blueline without him.

Westin it will be interesting to see if they offer him a contract or not. He seems to be doing well in the junior league and while his SEL numbers aren't impressive, I've heard good things about his play on the 4th line on a bad Modo team (last I checked, haven't been keeping up with the SEL lately) If there's room in the 50 contract limit and they do sign him, they could consider loaning him back to Modo for a year since he would be in tough for ice time in Hamilton but the problem with that is he will count against the 50 contract limit while he's in Sweden and we could be up against the limit so they might have to pass on him depending on what the plan is for the direction of this organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
enough with the suspense... if it's none of the above, what's your take on him?
1. I wouldn't call him a puckhog, he wins a lot of his battles in the corners and along the walls in the offensive zone and he's not shy to shoot the puck but he will pass it as well. As some guys are pass first or think pass most of the time, that's not Leblanc but he can dish the puck so I don't think puckhog applies here.

2. I don't think this is the case here either. Leblanc isn't what I would call an excellent AHLer just yet, and while I'm not a fan of Willsie, he did score 30 last year and is a skilled player so I wouldn't say it's a case of Leblanc "an excellent AHL player that plays with linemates nowhere near his level".

3. I don't recall ever noticing his linemates trying to deliberately feed him the puck, Leblanc gets a lot of his scoring chances off his own hard work and efforts.

4. Perhaps a little bit as he does shoot often and will shoot from all over as he's clearly not shy about shooting but I don't think I would really say he takes a lot of low percentage shots as that's more Willsie's M.O. imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
Schultz looks to be a lot better stats wise then last year... If he continues this way, he could possibly get a call up during next season to see what he got.
As i've been saying, currently Schultz has been playing his best hockey as I've seen just about every game he's played in the AHL. When he got moved up to the line with Dumont and Masse, they have clicked and he started to show more things offensively while continuing to work hard and bring a physical presence. Last year he really struggled with the pace of the play and had injury issues (this year as well with a couple injuries). But he's showing good progress, so if he keeps it up, they perhaps he could be a callup next year at some point.

Old
02-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
1. I wouldn't call him a puckhog, he wins a lot of his battles in the corners and along the walls in the offensive zone and he's not shy to shoot the puck but he will pass it as well. As some guys are pass first or think pass most of the time, that's not Leblanc but he can dish the puck so I don't think puckhog applies here.

2. I don't think this is the case here either. Leblanc isn't what I would call an excellent AHLer just yet, and while I'm not a fan of Willsie, he did score 30 last year and is a skilled player so I wouldn't say it's a case of Leblanc "an excellent AHL player that plays with linemates nowhere near his level".

3. I don't recall ever noticing his linemates trying to deliberately feed him the puck, Leblanc gets a lot of his scoring chances off his own hard work and efforts.

4. Perhaps a little bit as he does shoot often and will shoot from all over as he's clearly not shy about shooting but I don't think I would really say he takes a lot of low percentage shots as that's more Willsie's M.O. imo.
thx...

I haven't heard this comparison really being made, but when I watch Leblanc with the Habs, I see a guy who could be a lot like Kesler in his prime/once he adds more strength.

intense, good with the puck, strong on the cycle, plays with a bit of an edge, pretty good hands & shot.

Old
02-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
thx...

I haven't heard this comparison really being made, but when I watch Leblanc with the Habs, I see a guy who could be a lot like Kesler in his prime/once he adds more strength.

intense, good with the puck, strong on the cycle, plays with a bit of an edge, pretty good hands & shot.
I love Leblanc's intensity and speed. I don't see him ever adding enough strength to power through opponents like Kesler in his prime. I know LL will grow and add strength, but overpowering his peers has never been part of his game, at least not in the Q or WJC, I don't see it happening in the NHL.

Old
02-04-2012, 07:40 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

same lineup although not sure if Avtsin has seen any ice time, perhaps he overdid it yesterday with the wrist .

Masse sniped one and Engqvist gets one on the backhand, continues to put points on the board.

Lawson has looked good the last few starts since that bad outing in the outdoor game.

Old
02-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
I just noticed Schultz had 11 points in his last 17 games. He's developing pretty well.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:01 PM
S Bah

I have to wonder whether the Engqvist as a 4th line center test is finally over and Naatinen's turn is here.The NA game seems to be too fast for Engqvist from what I've seen,it's either that or a lack of confidence.Regardless the prospects coming through the pipeline will most surely provide the competition to find the right man for the job. When the new prospects turn pro and begin learning the respect and pride necessary to wear the colors of the Montreal Canadiens,a new regime of legendary teams will start it's assault on the records of Montreal Canadiens Stanley Cup wins.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I have to wonder whether the Engqvist as a 4th line center test is finally over and Naatinen's turn is here.The NA game seems to be too fast for Engqvist from what I've seen,it's either that or a lack of confidence.Regardless the prospects coming through the pipeline will most surely provide the competition to find the right man for the job. When the new prospects turn pro and begin learning the respect and pride necessary to wear the colors of the Montreal Canadiens,a new regime of legendary teams will start it's assault on the records of Montreal Canadiens Stanley Cup wins.
Naatinen can barely keep himself in the lineup in Hamilton and even when he does get in the lineup its usually as a winger.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:14 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I just noticed Schultz had 11 points in his last 17 games. He's developing pretty well.
Ive high hopes this kid become a high quality grinder very tough to face in the NHL.. Would look pretty nice on our fourth line..

Old
02-06-2012, 01:42 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Ive high hopes this kid become a high quality grinder very tough to face in the NHL.. Would look pretty nice on our fourth line..
Another two years and the prospects will have a Calder Cup and be ready for the NHL.The Habs are that close and with the draft picks in 2012 & 2013 they should be back in the playoffs with a vengeance.

Old
02-06-2012, 09:06 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I have to wonder whether the Engqvist as a 4th line center test is finally over and Naatinen's turn is here.The NA game seems to be too fast for Engqvist from what I've seen,it's either that or a lack of confidence.
I'd be very surprised if this was the case. Depending on what direction we are headed this summer, Engqvist is a cheap depth player that is currently our best player in the AHL so if they bring him back I at least wouldn't be suprised even though he hasn't looked good in the NHL. Nattinen on the other hand is a long ways away. He seems quicker and more physical then Engqvist but that's about it, while he's looked a little better as the season has wore on, overall he's not really been very good although it has to be tough as he's been in and out of the lineup and all over the roster when he does dress.

Old
02-06-2012, 10:45 AM
blueberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
C'mon, schultz is never gonna play.

Closed Thread