HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Doesn't Ottawa have a new owner?

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2003, 07:05 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

vCash: 500
Doesn't Ottawa have a new owner?

I'm pretty sure they do, so what is the financial situation in Ottawa concerning salaries? Could they afford to pick up another player for the playoff run? If yes, then how about Straka for Fisher? Straka would add leadership and experience and strengthen Ottawa's left wing and is a leginamite scoring threat who plays good in the platoffs (I remember a series verses NJ when he had 6 goals and 11 points in 7 games) while Pittsburgh would get a player who could contribute right away while not costing to much. Just a thought.

Old
11-06-2003, 10:41 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Martin Straka - $4,350,000
Mike Fisher - $962,500

Even injured, I'll take Fisher over Straka.

Old
11-07-2003, 07:38 AM
sensfan18

I'm sure they could afford it, the real question is why the hell would they want to?

Old
11-07-2003, 07:59 AM
SENSfreak_03

been there, done that, didnt get the t-shirt.

Old
11-07-2003, 10:47 AM
Other Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario66
I'm pretty sure they do, so what is the financial situation in Ottawa concerning salaries? Could they afford to pick up another player for the playoff run? If yes, then how about Straka for Fisher?
How about if the Sens need depth for the playoffs, they trade prospects or picks for impending UFA players, like they've been doing for the past five years?

Other Dave

Old
11-07-2003, 11:05 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

The Sens may make a trade at the deadline for another forward (and trade one or more of their forwards in the process), but it will be for more players LIKE Fisher. Fisher is one of the last guys who will be traded, unless it was involved getting a top-flight power forward (and even then, other players of value will be offered up first).

Old
11-07-2003, 04:48 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

How about Straka for Schastlivy as the main parts of a deal?

Old
11-07-2003, 06:00 PM
Jasper

vCash: 707
If it was me, I'd definitely trade either of those guys for Straka straight up. They're good players and both have a lot of potential but Straka puts us a step closer. Fisher isn't a natural left winger and Schastlivy hasn't been very impressive so far this season, plus he's injury prone.

Old
11-07-2003, 07:02 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper
If it was me, I'd definitely trade either of those guys for Straka straight up. They're good players and both have a lot of potential but Straka puts us a step closer. Fisher isn't a natural left winger and Schastlivy hasn't been very impressive so far this season, plus he's injury prone.
If Ottawa has the money, it would be a pretty good trade for them. Pittsburgh would also get a young player who could contribute now. If Straka only made 2 million a year most Ottawa fans would like either trade, IMHO. Straka is better that either of them right now and could EASILY put up over 60 poits a year, but with Ottawa's talent, I wouldn't be suprised to see him get around a point a game, give or take.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:24 AM
BigDaddyGarrioch

His attributes (offensive flare, speed and defensive awareness) are attractive to Ottawa but he has the ability to sustain injuries for lengthy periods of time. He's not the 'warrior' that Muckler would be looking for.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:59 AM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyGarrioch
His attributes (offensive flare, speed and defensive awareness) are attractive to Ottawa but he has the ability to sustain injuries for lengthy periods of time. He's not the 'warrior' that Muckler would be looking for.
That is why I proposed Straka for Schastlivy because he has had injury problems, too. If some of you think Straka is an outside player, he's not. He'll go to the net and plays very well in high traffic areas. It's just too bad Pittsburgh is averaging around 12000 fans a game. If they were averaging around 14500 or more, they might be able to keep Straka.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:42 AM
Spezza

Quote:
That is why I proposed Straka for Schastlivy because he has had injury problems, too. If some of you think Straka is an outside player, he's not. He'll go to the net and plays very well in high traffic areas. It's just too bad Pittsburgh is averaging around 12000 fans a game. If they were averaging around 14500 or more, they might be able to keep Straka.
I think the problem with acquiring Straka would be the opportunity cost of getting him. If we got him that'd probably rule out any further payroll additions.

No offense to Straka, but I don't think he's the difference between cup and no cup.

Old
11-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza
I think the problem with acquiring Straka would be the opportunity cost of getting him. If we got him that'd probably rule out any further payroll additions.

No offense to Straka, but I don't think he's the difference between cup and no cup.
I think Ottawa has a better chance at winning the cup then anybody else, but if they are going to try to shake up the team a little, adding Straka would only make them stronger, although the money would probably make the deal impossible for the Sens.

Old
11-08-2003, 11:37 AM
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I think Ottawa has a better chance at winning the cup then anybody else, but if they are going to try to shake up the team a little, adding Straka would only make them stronger, although the money would probably make the deal impossible for the Sens.
One problem with Ottawa trades is that we haven't seen Ottawa make a big trade with Melnyk as owner. Part of that, he's been owner about 2 months, and no trades have been necessary to date. We don't know if he'll splurge for a pricier player. He says he will and I don't see any reason not to believe him as well. When Bryden made his re-bid on the team last Feb, Melnyk said he would have put the money into the team if he was owner. I remember alot of people saying he was talk, but he did put his money where his mouth was after, so I could see him doing a move like this if someone like Straka could be had!!!

Old
11-09-2003, 07:51 PM
The Hamburglar

IF Melynk is willing to dish out $$$ for a pricey player, I don't think Muckler would limit himself to Straka. There is a lot of teams willing to lose $ here and there and probably someone with more power could be had.

Closed Thread