HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What's YOUR 10 Step Program.

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2003, 12:27 PM
Lowetide

vCash: 500
What's YOUR 10 Step Program.

First of all, I just wanted to post a really brief welcome to all of the new posters at HF in the last few weeks. Last night after the game there were 90 posters! Incredible. I think GuyF has been a big part of that, but the quality of posters here is second to none imo.

Reading the board after last night's game reminds me of the off season chatter we get, everything being questioned. It's good, but unusual, and part of it is Comrie, part of it Salo's performance, part of it the D, part of it the doa powerplay.

Anyway, I think it might be an idea to post our solutions to the problems facing the Oilers. It can work as an introduction to the board for some who are new, and (hopefully) be some fun.

The question is : What's YOUR ten step program to improve the team. Here's mine.

1. Either trade Comrie this week or go public that he's off the table until summer. This thing is taking on a life of its own, and since the cone of silence has lifted, it won't get better. On top of that, it seems to me that the Oilers might benefit from getting a center, but others have suggested (rightly) a dman or even a goalie might be a better target. imo they should wait until the off season, UNLESS someone overwhelms them. It's easier to evaluate your roster and your needs before the season than during, because during the season it's a moving target.

2. Put Semenov in the lineup to stay. This kid may have had a poor camp, but he's a solid defender. I don't think Bergeron should come out, I'd probably lift Ferguson. This guy is going to play 1,000 games in the NHL, and he's easily one of the 6 best dmen on this team.

3. Put York and Hemsky to work on the pp point. This is igor's idea, or at least he's the one who promotes it, but despite York's problems playing the point last season the team's pp was successful with him as qb. Hemsky, another brilliant passer, should also get some work there, maybe on the 2nd unit.

4. Acquire a top line center. I liked the Smyth experiment, but that seems to have gone the way of Beta. It's time for Lowe to make a list, and get an established 1line centerman. If he's a rental, so be it, but this team can't win a faceoff when they have to, and their two best wingers are playing with flavor of the week centermen.

5. Give Conklin several starts through Xmas. I don't think they have much choice, unless Salo plays alot better than he has so far this season. No reason to keep Valiquette out of the net, either, give him a long look too.

6. Trade Georges Laraque. It's time for him to go. If there's more to his game, the Oilers have given him enough time to prove it.

7. Stop shuffling the deck. Every gameday I eagerly await the list of forward lines. Why? They don't last the first period. Stop it.

8. Temper reference to the Cup teams. The Oilers are so obsessed with the Heritage Classic and the Lowe/MacT/Huddy connection to greatness that these young guys must think they're in the background somewhere. Time for management to take a back seat and talk about the present.

9. Trap I put it at 9 but it's really number one. If you can't beat them, join them. The Oilers are all flash and no substance, and imo it's not lack of worth ethic, it's lack of a genuine system. TRAP, not after the first goal, or in the 3rd when you're up, or only on the road.

TRAP.

10. Cash in the 6's and 7's for Kings and Aces. Never has one team had so many guys who can fulfill the 3 and 4 line roles, and so few who can play the skill minutes. Smyth, Hemsky, York, Dvorak have real first line skill, and imo Torres does enough to justify being on a top line. But the Oilers only have one skill player in the heart of his career and on top of his game (Smyth).

Time to elevate the talent base on the parent team, which is kind of covered in point #4.

Okay, there's mine. What are your 10?

Old
11-09-2003, 12:46 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

heres my quick ten steps
1. Play conklin more, have salo sit for awhile.

2. Insert semenov in the lineup. he will be a good defenseman, it will take time and he won't learn by sitting in the pressbox.

3. Have comrie sit this whole year. from listening to lowe, no offer has come across to him that really interests him. better to let him sit the year and maybe by the summer we can get a better return. lowetides analysis of this is better and i agree with it.

4. play semenov on the point for the powerplay. he has the monster shot just have to convince him to use it more.

5. need a new powerplay system. one that involves moving the puck around quickly plus the players moving as well so the defense can't adjust. easier said than done however it is too predictable.

6. have laraque sit until he has fully healed. what use is he if he isnt healthy, he may seem to think he has other skills but fighting is what got him on this team in the first place.

7. no doubt a centreman to play between smyth and hemsky should be a priorty.

8. on the penalty kill, moreau and reasoner are doing a great job but too many times they are getting caught up ice when they should just stay in the defensive zone. they seem to take off quickly up ice when a turnover is created, yes it might lead to a chance but in most cases it strands them in the neutral zone and the other teams gets a better chance.

9. either play stoll more often once he comes off the injured list or demote him toronto. it is not helping him sit at all.

10. have dvorak use a different brand of stick. his sticks are cursed i tell you.

Old
11-09-2003, 01:32 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
First of all, I just wanted to post a really brief welcome to all of the new posters at HF in the last few weeks. Last night after the game there were 90 posters! Incredible. I think GuyF has been a big part of that, but the quality of posters here is second to none imo.

Reading the board after last night's game reminds me of the off season chatter we get, everything being questioned. It's good, but unusual, and part of it is Comrie, part of it Salo's performance, part of it the D, part of it the doa powerplay.

Anyway, I think it might be an idea to post our solutions to the problems facing the Oilers. It can work as an introduction to the board for some who are new, and (hopefully) be some fun.

The question is : What's YOUR ten step program to improve the team. Here's mine.

1. Either trade Comrie this week or go public that he's off the table until summer. This thing is taking on a life of its own, and since the cone of silence has lifted, it won't get better. On top of that, it seems to me that the Oilers might benefit from getting a center, but others have suggested (rightly) a dman or even a goalie might be a better target. imo they should wait until the off season, UNLESS someone overwhelms them. It's easier to evaluate your roster and your needs before the season than during, because during the season it's a moving target.

2. Put Semenov in the lineup to stay. This kid may have had a poor camp, but he's a solid defender. I don't think Bergeron should come out, I'd probably lift Ferguson. This guy is going to play 1,000 games in the NHL, and he's easily one of the 6 best dmen on this team.

3. Put York and Hemsky to work on the pp point. This is igor's idea, or at least he's the one who promotes it, but despite York's problems playing the point last season the team's pp was successful with him as qb. Hemsky, another brilliant passer, should also get some work there, maybe on the 2nd unit.

4. Acquire a top line center. I liked the Smyth experiment, but that seems to have gone the way of Beta. It's time for Lowe to make a list, and get an established 1line centerman. If he's a rental, so be it, but this team can't win a faceoff when they have to, and their two best wingers are playing with flavor of the week centermen.

5. Give Conklin several starts through Xmas. I don't think they have much choice, unless Salo plays alot better than he has so far this season. No reason to keep Valiquette out of the net, either, give him a long look too.

6. Trade Georges Laraque. It's time for him to go. If there's more to his game, the Oilers have given him enough time to prove it.

7. Stop shuffling the deck. Every gameday I eagerly await the list of forward lines. Why? They don't last the first period. Stop it.

8. Temper reference to the Cup teams. The Oilers are so obsessed with the Heritage Classic and the Lowe/MacT/Huddy connection to greatness that these young guys must think they're in the background somewhere. Time for management to take a back seat and talk about the present.

9. Trap I put it at 9 but it's really number one. If you can't beat them, join them. The Oilers are all flash and no substance, and imo it's not lack of worth ethic, it's lack of a genuine system. TRAP, not after the first goal, or in the 3rd when you're up, or only on the road.

TRAP.

10. Cash in the 6's and 7's for Kings and Aces. Never has one team had so many guys who can fulfill the 3 and 4 line roles, and so few who can play the skill minutes. Smyth, Hemsky, York, Dvorak have real first line skill, and imo Torres does enough to justify being on a top line. But the Oilers only have one skill player in the heart of his career and on top of his game (Smyth).

Time to elevate the talent base on the parent team, which is kind of covered in point #4.

Okay, there's mine. What are your 10?

Great list. You would think if its so obvious to people like us, it would be even more obvious to the ones calling the shots (Lowe, MacT). Though I must say there must be some machanics behind the scenes of some of those situations we as the fans arent aware of, all those points really point towards a more productive outcome.

One thing I'd add to it is... Finally give Jani Rita a legitimate shot. He has the talent, we know that. He has not lost all of it somehow, like some people suggest. If given a real shot, he will stick.

Old
11-09-2003, 02:24 PM
igor*

1. Make evry single decision with a view towards 2006.
The most fundamental point IMO. And with the CBA renegotiation looming, and most of the seats at Northlands already sold this year ... there is no reason not to.

2. Trade Comrie whenever the return is at its highest.
Preferably for a prospect that has a chance of becoming an impact player. Its too early for a veteran, and Comrie won't fetch a quality experienced player anyways. And Dmen take too long to develop.

Either that or a very high-end young goalie like Luongo (though I'd guess that players like this aren't easy to get).

3. Put York and Hemsky to work on the pp point.
I'm not expecting or wishing Simpson and Moores to be innovators ... just hoping they'll check their egos and copy others who've had greater success with lesser rosters.

And then leave them there ... even if they have a few bad shifts.

4. Give Conklin the starters job and let him run with it.
No explanation necessary.

5. Stabilize the team.
It's time to let these players form a team. There has been way too much turnover here in the last few years. Time for some stability. If this team has had decent goaltending this year ... they'd be well up the standings. No need to start fixing other things that aren't broke.

6. Put Semenov in the lineup to stay.
I agree with this ... though I'm not completely sold on Semenov, but it takes Dmen a long time to learn ... and if they want all these guys to be peaking at a similar time; they better get on their horse with Semenov.

7. Stop shuffling the deck.
Every gameday I eagerly await the list of forward lines. Why? They don't last the first period. Stop it. (I'm shamelessly plagiarizing Lowetide here )

8. Never Trap!
Why in God's name does everyone want the Oilers to trap? They aren't built for it, and they have consistently been in the top ten in the league in terms of 5on5 play over the last three years ... where's the need. On top of that the Oilers don't give up that many chances in transition anyways ... so it would likely hinder this team more than help them if they trapped.

They give up a swack of chances off the cycle in their own zone ... but every team in the league uses a virtually identical system for Dzone coverage ... the Oilers just don't execute as well.

9. Be Patient
Fans panic, its our perrogative. Hell last night the Oilers outchanced the Leafs on the road ... if the cookie crumbles different the score is flip-flopped. Its no biggy that they lost.

I hope Oilers management weathers the rough patches (and there will be som more this season and in seasons after) and sticks with the players that can help this team in the long run.

10. Hemsky
Do whatever they can to make sure this kid turns in the best player, team-mate and person that he can be in the long run. A lot of the Oiler's future hopes are riding here.

Old
11-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Jamie

#1 - Deal Comrie, it looks to be a good time with lots of interest and injuries, not to mention tons of rumours. I'd prefer to send a forward with him (ie Horcoff, Stoll, etc) to get someone that could help a lot, rather than being another face in the crowd. I won't specualte any names at the moment though as that's Lowe's job.

#2 - Fix the defense. For a team thats trying to preach a defense first attitude, these kids seem lost in their own zone half the time. Have an extra practice just for the D, and make them do the simple plays, over and over again. The other team can't score if their not in our zone.

#3 - Play Semenov. Give him PP time with Bergeron on the top unit. Let him unload his shot, screen the goalie, and you'll get rebounds to score on. He doesn't have to pick corners, just anywhere on net will work.

#4 - Fix the PP. Goes back to the Semenov statement a little. Use Hemsky, Dvorak, Semenov and Bergeron to cycle the puck. Smyth is screening and then take shots from all over. 2nd unit same thing, Isbister screening, York, Reasoner, Cross, Brewer, all cycling, shooting from anywhere. They don't have to use 2 dmen either, but I feel they may as well as they're just as good at moving the puck and are better at shooting from the point.

#5 - Play Conks. He's done everything possible to prove he can be the top dog, let him disprove rather than just guessing he will. And if I was the boss, I'd deal Salo with someone to upgrade at any position we can, including goalie. If not goalie, then we can rely on Conks and Valiquette, if it fails, get a rent a goalie at the deadline.

#6 - Hit. The team needs to hit more. Plain and simple, thats how we got our first round upsets that seem like ages ago now, we wore the other team down by hitting. We're a young and big team, use it.

#7 - Never thought I'd say this, but trade Laraque. He's wasted salary. He's holding a roster spot that would be better filled by Salmalainen, Rita, etc.

#8 - Back to Rita. At some point he'll start to light things up in the AHL. Call him up when it happens and give him plenty of ice time, he'll repsond and take advantage of it.

#9 - Sign Staios long term or deal him. His value is at an all time high, and if we're not going to be able to have him next season, then lets get something for him. Our defense is week as is, so maybe include a forward or as I suggested with Salo and Comrie, get defense help there, but in other words, do not downgrade the defense, but use forwards and or Salo to upgrade it.

#10 - With the exception of dealing our only two top end guys Hemsky and Smyth; If there is any way to get a good young goalie(ie Noronen) do it. If there is any way to get a top young center(ie Lecavalier) do it. If there is any way to get a top young dman(ie Chara) do it. Rita, Salmalainen, Stoll, Sarno are all good enough to play full time NHL action, we have forward depth, so lets try and use it.

Old
11-09-2003, 02:52 PM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
1. Make evry single decision with a view towards 2006.
The most fundamental point IMO. And with the CBA renegotiation looming, and most of the seats at Northlands already sold this year ... there is no reason not to.

2. Trade Comrie whenever the return is at its highest.
Preferably for a prospect that has a chance of becoming an impact player. Its too early for a veteran, and Comrie won't fetch a quality experienced player anyways. And Dmen take too long to develop.

Either that or a very high-end young goalie like Luongo (though I'd guess that players like this aren't easy to get).

3. Put York and Hemsky to work on the pp point.
I'm not expecting or wishing Simpson and Moores to be innovators ... just hoping they'll check their egos and copy others who've had greater success with lesser rosters.

And then leave them there ... even if they have a few bad shifts.

4. Give Conklin the starters job and let him run with it.
No explanation necessary.

5. Stabilize the team.
It's time to let these players form a team. There has been way too much turnover here in the last few years. Time for some stability. If this team has had decent goaltending this year ... they'd be well up the standings. No need to start fixing other things that aren't broke.

6. Put Semenov in the lineup to stay.
I agree with this ... though I'm not completely sold on Semenov, but it takes Dmen a long time to learn ... and if they want all these guys to be peaking at a similar time; they better get on their horse with Semenov.

7. Stop shuffling the deck.
Every gameday I eagerly await the list of forward lines. Why? They don't last the first period. Stop it. (I'm shamelessly plagiarizing Lowetide here )

8. Never Trap!
Why in God's name does everyone want the Oilers to trap? They aren't built for it, and they have consistently been in the top ten in the league in terms of 5on5 play over the last three years ... where's the need. On top of that the Oilers don't give up that many chances in transition anyways ... so it would likely hinder this team more than help them if they trapped.

They give up a swack of chances off the cycle in their own zone ... but every team in the league uses a virtually identical system for Dzone coverage ... the Oilers just don't execute as well.

9. Be Patient
Fans panic, its our perrogative. Hell last night the Oilers outchanced the Leafs on the road ... if the cookie crumbles different the score is flip-flopped. Its no biggy that they lost.

I hope Oilers management weathers the rough patches (and there will be som more this season and in seasons after) and sticks with the players that can help this team in the long run.

10. Hemsky
Do whatever they can to make sure this kid turns in the best player, team-mate and person that he can be in the long run. A lot of the Oiler's future hopes are riding here.
I very much agree with this list. I especially appreciate #8. Not only the Oilers not suited for the trap, but it's boring and destroys the game. Someone else mentioned, everyone else does it, so why not us; well, two wrongs don't make a right.

Old
11-09-2003, 03:12 PM
Asiaoil

1 – Time to prune the tree. It’s really time to let go of a few guys who have had their chance and not produced the expected results. First on my list is Laraque who I would package with Comrie. That would get us one hell of a player in return. Chimera is also redundant IMO opinion because he just doesn’t seem to understand the type of player he needs to be to stay in this league (here’s a hint Jason – talk to Marty Reasoner). Horcoff has had a rough start but I still think he will come around.

2 – Handle Hemsky better. Once BG is gone we can start giving Hemsky time on the 4th line when he loses his game. The kid is really young and yo-yoing him between the top line and PB is just plain silly. Develop him like Havlat in Ottawa and we may actually have a talented offensive player who can also play defence.

3 – Give Conks his shot – Looks like this is a done deal now that Salo is “injured”. People discount what Salo has done for this team in the past – so he deserves a last chance to salvage his career here. But that’s it – he’s down to that. Best case scenario is that Conks and Salo can platoon until the trade deadline where we can dump Salo. Worst case scenario is that we simply waive Salo – hope someone takes him or else we negotiate a buy-out and send him on his way.

4 – Get Semenov in the line-up on a consistent basis – but on the 3rd unit where he can develop under less pressure.. Just like Hemsky we need to develop Semi better than we have been. Brew has been struggling under the unrealistic load he’s carrying and putting Semi along side him will just make it worse. Doesn’t this team know the meaning of patience with young players?

5 – Get Rita up here – If we clear out guys like Chimmer and BG then there is lots of room for Rita to play 40 or so games this year on the 4th line and maybe some time on the 2nd line when he deserves it. Tony S will be good but he shouldn’t be up at the expense of Rita. Again this is just poor player development IMO.

6 - Trade Comrie when the right deal comes along – but don’t get hung up on a perfect deal. We are not talking about trading Guy Lafleur here – MC is simply a very good 2nd line center - so IMO many of the deals that have been mentioned work. People are blowing this deal up way too big and setting up unrealistic expectations. I have been going on about MC for Blackburn for months – and if that deal is out there – I would absolutely do it given what has happened to Salo.

7 – Try hard to resign Staios – but if its no dice by March – trade him.

8 – NEVER TRAP - unless we are up in the third period and protecting a lead. Using the trap situationally is fine and smart but I will quit watching this team if they start playing the dreck that goes for hockey seen in most rinks of this league. It’s just not Oiler hockey – it’s just not right.

9 – See # 8

10 – Enjoy the bigger picture - a good young team is being put together so don’t get wound up with the game to game highs and lows. This team is really really starting to remind me of the Canucks just before they broke out a couple years ago. Hopefully things work out the same way for us.

Old
11-09-2003, 04:03 PM
momentai

Yeah. There has been a massive influx of newer posters to this board within the last couple of months. It's getting more and more difficult for me to catch up on the new posts. If I'm away too long, I'm back in the middle of page 2. :p

1. Comrie leaves when Lowe finds a good enough offer that helps the future and not one second before that.

This is of the utmost importance. This means no players like a Bondra, Gonchar, Perreault, etc. If the players are propects, then fine. They better be blue-chippers. A priority would have to be either a stud defensive prospect but if one could not be found available, a good forward work work as well.

Heck, if Lowe has to wait until before the draft... so be it. At least by then, we'll know where most teams' first rounders will end up. If it ends up high, we can get a good goalie or an excellent forward like an Ovechkin, Schremp, or Olesz or a dman like Cam Barker.

2. Powerplay is broken. Switch it up to make things better.

Put Mike York on the point. Leave Hemsky on the halfboards and keep Smyth/Isbister in front of the net. And keep Cory Cross away from the point on the powerplay please. I appreciate how much he's tried to contribute. However, it just doesn't work like it should.

3. Put Semenov back in the lineup no matter what.

Brewer doesn't seem to be comfortable unless he has Semenov on his other side to take care of things on the defensive end. When Cross is his partner, Cross more than usually takes a more offensive role leaving Brewer covering. It doesn't look like Brewer is responding well to this.

4. Fix up the in-zone defensive coverage.

Bring a tape of Anaheim's defensive zone coverage in the playoffs or even Minnesota's. Copy it and copy it well. Those players knew where each of their teammates were on the ice and reacted accordingly. It's this kind of trust that the Oilers need to succeed and get rid of these defensive mistakes.

5. Tone down the offense from the defense.

Now, I know that our dmen are greatly contributing to the offensive explosions from the Oilers. But we get caught a lot going the other way. Don't stifle the creativity but make sure they understand defensive positioning comes first. If the chances are that there's a 50/50 chance of keeping the puck in the offensive zone, err on the side of caution.

6. Conklin plays the next couple of games while Salo rests his groin.

It's clear that Salo has not had the most amazing of starts this season. Confidence in your goaltending and confidence in your defense goes hand in hand. Until Salo or Conklin can steal a game for the defense, the confidence isn't really going to be there.

7. Create a dependable second unit for the powerplay and stick with it.

I don't want to see a revolving door for the second unit. That, IMO, is a big reason why the pp is as poor as it has been. There have been times that after the Hemsky, York, Smyth unit dominated but couldn't score... we could not get ANYTHING done afterwards.

8. Tell everyone to be more physical. It's not enough to see a handful of hits every period.

Everyone has to contribute. Hits lead to a good forecheck and good scoring opportunities. It even punishes opposing players when they are in our own zone. Make them pay to play the Oil.

9. Sign Staios. We desperately need his defensive presence.

We've already lost Niinimaa who was a leader on the blueline. If we lose Staios as well, we are in a shambles defensively. Smith is not likely going to say longterm either especially at a 2.3 million pricetag. Think of it. We could be left with a defense of Semenov, Brewer, Bergeron, Ferguson, Doug Lynch, and Cory Cross. Very inexperienced and will be prone to mistakes.

However, if Staios' asking price is too high. Deal him. Maximize your assets, Lowe. We CANNOT lose him for nothing.

10. Hemsky.

Treat this kid like he's the future of this club. Why? Because he is. Get him to work on his shot in practice. If he develops a quick, swift wrister; he's going to be a dangerous dangerousl player.

P.S. I appreciate Kevin Lowe for joining Tambellini and Gretz for the World Cup. But if this is going to take time away from the Oilers and their needs, pass some of the duties to the assistant GM. Make sure that if the Oilers are floundering and need a trade or a callup, someone is there to actively grab the situation by the reins.

Old
11-09-2003, 05:48 PM
TheChase

1. Make the trade Comrie & Chimera for Stefan, ATL 1st pick and Coburn. He does not want to play for the oil and its disruptive to the team.
If you sit him until the trade deadline, his trade value would be less because of him missing so much play time, that fewer teams would opt for him ,those that do will offer less than now.
Why Stefan? is young defensive 3rd line centre with size, can win faceoffs,has defensive skills, can skate with the oil

2. Trade would allow Reasoner to center Smyth and Hemsky.
Better than breaking up York and Dvorak chemistry

3. Make Conklin the number 1 goalie, forcing Salo totry win it back from him.

4. Stop firing it! at the point man Semenov
he might not have to chase it down the ice and
actually get to let the howitser go)

5. Fix the powerplay - watch Detroit quick setup out of end /rapid player/puck movement

6. Make George Laraque Captain, that way he'll have to play his best every single game. Must hard bodychecking every game, if he does, so will the rest.

7. Stoll and Horcoff to Toronto

8. Rita on 3rd line with Moreau and Stefan/ Pisani in on pk

9. Stop pairing Ferguson and Bergeron & Keep Brewer and Semenov together

10.Increase the squad back to 23 to keep Salmelainen and Rita up; the're lower salaries anyway..

Old
11-09-2003, 06:05 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersRRRock/Kim
10.Increase the squad back to 23 to keep Salmelainen and Rita up; the're lower salaries anyway..
Their roster is at 23 right now with 1 player (Stoll) on IR. In yesterday's game, Hemsky and Semenov were healthy scratches while Isbister was out with a neck strain. 20 dressed plus 3 scratches equals 23.

11-09-2003, 07:03 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
The question is : What's YOUR ten step program to improve the team.
Here are mine:
1. Define the objective. This may seem odd but before improving the team or elevating the talent base you should define what the Oilers are trying to accomplish. Are we trying to win the silver thing, go deep into the playoffs, make the playoffs, MAKE $, survive as an organization ... Numerous business objectives need to be defined because those answers determine what type of player (veteran, superstar, prospect) we need when (now, 1 yr, 5 yr) and how much money (less, same, more) is available. For discussion purposes only my parameters are that we will continue to be a small market team with the existing budget, in other words no room for expensive superstars, and we have to make a modest amount of money. My discussion ignores playoffs, wins, losses, etc.

2. Define style of play. Some nights we go with big guys such as BG and Izzy and expect them to stand in front of the net. Some nights we go with speed guys such as Chimera and Salmo. I have no clue what defensive zone system we use but there is quite often a winger up high doing nothing, Hemsky comes to mind (not his fault that's where he's told to be). I haven't seen so many attempts to clear the zone stopped at the blue line since I stopped watching minor hockey. Regardless, pick a style and get players that fit. I believe the system most appropriate is defense oriented given that lack of money will not allow us to have young offensive talented players very long.

3. Trade Salo.[/B] I don't believe we need a superstar or superpaid goalie to have a successful defensive team. Play Conklin and Valiquette and only if they don't perform get someone else. Package Salo (not with Comrie but maybe Brewer) to get a number 1 or 2 defensive defensman. Get the right D and you can survive with less talent in goal.

4. Upgrade the defense. I want players who play defense first and offence second. I really like MAB because he is exciting to watch but he does not make my defense oriented team. Maybe he goes with Salo too. Brewer is an enigma. He could be great but maybe he gets more in a trade. The Staios issue needs to be resolved. Sign him to an extension now or trade him while he still has value.

5. Get a new powerplay system. It seems to me that most teams move the puck rapidly in the offensive zone with the objective of getting a back door one timer, ala Mike Modano. Our current method of shooting the puck in and hoping to get control doesn't seem to work. We are currently 28th in the league in PP effectiveness. Craig Simpson scored goals by standing in front of the net and taking a beating. That works if you have guys like Bertuzzi but we can't afford guys like that and Izzy and BG don't have the hands. Change the system to be more pass and speed oriented and trade Izzy and BG for someone who fits that system. BG may be the best heavyweight in the league but the instigator rule means that role is no longer as important as it was when we had Semenko.

6. Get a powerplay quarterback. I don't care if it's a forward or a defenseman but get someone who can direct the powerplay.

7. Wanted - several goal scorers.Somewhere out there there has to be some forwards who have hands and can score. You don't need a lot of players who can score, witness how well Minnesota does with only one, Gaborik. But you do need some and so far we have none, particularly if you think Smyth is a centre. There are NO UNTOUCHABLES. I am a big Hemsky fan, I love watching him play but if he can't play the defensive system and his +/- is bad he'd be outta here, particularly given his potential upside meaning he should have excellent trade value.

8. Align pay scale. We need to pay more for our top 6 forwards and less for the rest. Players such as Izzy, BG, Moreau who are not top 6 players are paid too much. If we pay less to 3rd and 4th line players we can pay more for 1st and 2nd line players without changing the budget. I'm guessing defensive specialists cost less.

9. Resolve the Comrie issue. Comrie is a top 6 player. Either play him or trade him for another top 6 player but right now he is holding budget dollars that should be spent. Unless of course the business objective is something different. That goes back to my first point and is a whole other discussion.

10. Evaluate the coaches. I want a defense oriented team and am unsure as to whether this staff is capable of making the adjustment since my interpretation of what we do now is we have no identifyable system.

Old
11-09-2003, 07:45 PM
outKast*

1 - 10. More money towards the organization to keep our players in their primes (and we wouldnt have this Comrie dispute and it would be no problem paying him 2-3 million.) Kevin's pulled off some solid moves but the constant rebuilding will not bring us cups and it's not fair for the fans if the Oil don't win. I don't know how they'll pull it off, but the Oilers need to add another 10 to 15 million to build a contender. If we had a 40-45 million dollar Budget we could have kept Weight, Hamrlik, Niinimaa, Marchant, Grier, Cujo. Man we'd have one hell of a team?
Smyth Weight Guerin
York Comrie Hemsky
Moreau Marchant Grier
Rita Murray Laraque

Niinimaa Brewer
Hamrlik Semenov
Smith Staois

Cujo
Markannen

shoulda woulda coulda...blah blah blah

Old
11-09-2003, 08:16 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:

TRAP.
1.NO DO NOT TRAP!!!....When teams like Minnesota come to Edmonton to play i barely even want to go...now if edmonton trapped and minnesota trapped...i wouldnt come at all...If the oilers start trapping all game they just lost at least one season ticket holder...and will lose several more
2. See above
3. See above
4. See above
5. See above
6. See above
7. See above
8. See above
9. See above
10. See above

Closed Thread