Sens 0 vs Leafs 5: The "Didn't show up for a must-win game" edition
1. Too many shots from the point which were blocked by the Leafs.
2. Letting TO get in close way too often - poor job keeping Leafs to the outside.
3. Kubina is now playing for the Sens wearing 17 and is left handed.
4. I realise Andy gave up 5 goals but he had 40 shots against and I think he was still trying, albeit the Schenn goal was not great.
5. Our top players weren't our top players, and the line combos should probably go back to the original layout.
6. Sens are now 3 pts away from being out of the playoffs. If this team is going to make it they need to fix whatever is going on internally or Murray is going to have to pull the trigger on a deal for some D-man. I'm not convinced Borocop or Wierdcock are the answer and clearly Phillips and Carkner are doing more harm than good. Butler hasn't done anything to increase his value and Bingo is struggling as it is so I'm not sure what we have to offer.
7. I really think the Leafs were playing as I've never seen them play before and Reimer clearly was fantastic. Add in the point has also been raised that Ottawa frequently plays a Friday night game before facing Toronto the next day (not just this season).
8. Also Bingo dropped another tonight 5-2 vs Rundblad and the Portland Butt Pirates (affiliate of Phoenix). Lehner was in net but he really doesn't have much help in front of him and I can't expect much for the rest of the season unless T. Murray does anything to help them out. The Klinkhammer deal was fabulous, now Bingo needs a little more if Lehner is going to maintain any decent confidence level.
The team is in a real slump. These things are so hard to figure, but there's lots of hockey still to play, and I don't see them losing their next 27 games. There's still 54 points up for grabs, and the team is sitting at 61.
They need to get back on track, and I'm sure they all know that.
Anyways, in all seriousness I am legitimately worried about this team right now. 1.7 goals/game average in our last 10 doesn't really scream "playoffs". This team DESPERATELY needs a top 6 winger, and its become blatantly obvious.
Leafs continue to avoid Selfish penalties...
Franson penalty was somewhat harmless... Then add the delay of game and the too many men, and it is pretty clear that the Leafs are a totally new disciplined team than they were earlier in the year... Penalty kill is so bad that not taking penalties is their only option.
Sens took a number of unnecessary penalties, the leafs made them pay, and that was the difference.
These teams are very close, and special teams are enough to decide a game in this way.
Honestly, both teams were subpar defensively. Leaf fans are celebrating but the team is a 'Pretender.' How can one take seriously, a team that still gives up almost 50 shots on net? To a team that just played the previous night?
The Sens' 3 dmen mentioned, is an easy culprit. But, I agree. They were terrible.
The Sens have some talents but they have a major weakness there that needs to be addressed.
If they have to lose, a loss like this is better than a one goal loss, helps the coach get their attention and also managment in deciding what move to make.
They seem to be taking a long look at the Bingo guys;they're not going to trade away any valuable picks or prospects.
As for all the over excited Leaf trolls swarming our board,not sure why they're hyperventillating; from all their chest thumping, I understood that under the leadership of the best GM ever their rebuild is over and they are a top contender this year.
You would think they wouldn't be so excited to defeat the lowly Sens, a rebuilding team which actually leads them 3-2 in games so far this year,even though, by pure coincidence of course, the Sens meet the Leafs on the back end of back to back games in every meeting this year.