HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Everything Scott Gomez: The Official Discussion

Old
02-04-2012, 08:56 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
didnt he have ninny on koivu line one game????
And he played George Laraque on the PP once.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:59 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I figured that the cheers were satirical but not unsupportive. It's kinda like a "meh what else could we do but cheer?".

Carbo is one the best hockey minds in history, you really have no idea what you're asking do you?
So was Gretzky but he was a terrible coach. Just because someone is brilliant on the ice does not necessarily mean they're brilliant off the ice. All I'm saying is that you gotta be completely unaware of what's going on in Montreal to actually think that ppl were legitimately cheering for Gomez OR you gotta be an idiot. U can choose which category Carbo falls under.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:02 PM
GordonGraham

vCash: 500
I think the cherring is hilarious and well deserved.

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Bloumeister
Certifiable

Gomez might just be one Big Mac away from scoring...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...154054013.html

Can anyone bring McDonagh... err, McDonald's at the game tomorrow?

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:06 PM
yvan74

couple of funny links to look at!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUumD...layer_embedded

http://didgomezscore.com/

yvan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Lshap

Unless you believe Gomez is not trying on the ice, or he takes cheap shots at other players, or he punched a 10-year-old kid, the booing simply makes Montreal fans look like a bunch of babies. Yes, yes, yes, I've heard all the "I bought my ticket so I have a right to boo" arguments, which really means, "I have a right to be obnoxious". Well, I also bought tickets. I've gone to the games. I've seen some great games and some blown leads. But it never occurred to me to boo a team I constantly refer to as "Us" and "We". Until the players disrespect the fans I won't disrespect them.

The simple truth is that we're watching a player who has totally lost his confidence. Gomez is still capable of setting up plays, but seems to have lost the ability to finish anything. This happens to every player at a certain point in their career. His contract and his ice time are the fault of management, not Gomez. I think he's doing his best; unfortunately, there's no 'best' left in the tank. Am I frustrated? Yup. Will I boo Gomez for the erosion of his hockey talent? Nope.

Booing him accomplishes nothing. It doesn't help Gomez, it doesn't convince management to send him down, it doesn't make him a more attractive trade prospect. Mostly, it doesn't make Montreal a more attractive destination for players. So, aside from being rude and disloyal, ask yourself what exactly the point of booing is? If all you can come up with is "It makes me feel good", then take a moment to consider what that says about you.

This summed it up for me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
"Hi Scott. I'm a Habs fan and would love you to play better and live up to your contract. So at this point, I'm going to boo you. Somehow some way, the booing will encourage you to play better. No, I won't boo other players who stink on the team. Just you. Oh, btw, could you please put in a good word for us to Parise and Suter and tell them that Montreal's a great place to play and how we have the greatest fans in the world? K, thanx.

PS: You suck and I hope you retire.
PPS: Nothing personal"

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:13 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
so now booing and/or mock celebrating milestones of scoring futility in a simple sports game is considered "dehumanizing"

some of you really need to get out and experience the world a bit more... there is much more to life than hockey.
LMAO.

I do go out there and experience the whole world. That's why I don't have time to organize events, create websites or go out and "party like it's 2011 " for a struggling hockey player.

m00ks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:16 PM
larek

[QUOTE=Lshap;43607691]Unless you believe Gomez is not trying on the ice, or he takes cheap shots at other players, or he punched a 10-year-old kid, the booing simply makes Montreal fans look like a bunch of babies. Yes, yes, yes, I've heard all the "I bought my ticket so I have a right to boo" arguments, which really means, "I have a right to be obnoxious". Well, I also bought tickets. I've gone to the games. I've seen some great games and some blown leads. But it never occurred to me to boo a team I constantly refer to as "Us" and "We". Until the players disrespect the fans I won't disrespect them.

The simple truth is that we're watching a player who has totally lost his confidence. Gomez is still capable of setting up plays, but seems to have lost the ability to finish anything. This happens to every player at a certain point in their career. His contract and his ice time are the fault of management, not Gomez. I think he's doing his best; unfortunately, there's no 'best' left in the tank. Am I frustrated? Yup. Will I boo Gomez for the erosion of his hockey talent? Nope.

Booing him accomplishes nothing. It doesn't help Gomez, it doesn't convince management to send him down, it doesn't make him a more attractive trade prospect. Mostly, it doesn't make Montreal a more attractive destination for players. So, aside from being rude and disloyal, ask yourself what exactly the point of booing is? If all you can come up with is "It makes me feel good", then take a moment to consider what that says about you.

This summed it up for me:[/
show me video of fans booing Gomez unless im deaf i havnt heard it not booing just for Scott--

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:18 PM
mrcontractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice Brisebois View Post
Yeah, it sucks, but I blame management for not having the guts to do anything about it. He should have been in the AHL a long time ago. I feel for Gomez because all the jokes/talk/media attention about him seems to be making him fall further into the gutter. Time away from Montreal in the AHL would not only help the Habs, but it would probably help Gomez as well.
I was just going to say something along these lines. I'm not even going to comment on the booing but stuff like a celebration tomorrow is just dumb and shows a lack of class. On the other hand, Molson is letting all this happen. He knew about this anniversary thing and he could of made the decision of finally doing the right thing and burying him in the minors. Instead he'll let the clowns run the circus. As if this team needs anymore bad publicity this year. This kind of crap travels fast around the league (see the protest) and I don't know who in their right mind would want to come here and play after all that.

mrcontractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Lshap

Quote:
show me video of fans booing Gomez unless im deaf i havnt heard it not booing just for Scott--
I'm just responding to the posts in this thread. I actually missed today's game (part of my 12-step program), so if I'm criticizing events that didn't happen I apologize.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

I wonder if Bell Center security will search fans for birthday hats, cakes, kazoos, etc...

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
I can give you 7 million reasons why he isn't suicidal..
so I guess the players that overdosed/committed suicide who made millions in their career means nothing. Only Gomez because its Gomez makes sense. So informative. Pleas professor tell me more

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
I'm surprised it took that long.

Seriously they are not respecting the fans keeping this bum on the team.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
I'm surprised it took that long.

Seriously they are not respecting the fans keeping this bum on the team.
He really isn't the problem at this point. Send him in the minors and we're not any better.
If they opt to keep him along for next year, then you'll have a point.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:46 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
He really isn't the problem at this point. Send him in the minors and we're not any better.
If they opt to keep him along for next year, then you'll have a point.
no goals puny few points- giant contract-- hes a problem but a good problem for what this team needs for the rest of this season

Old
02-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
no goals puny few points- giant contract-- hes a problem but a good problem for what this team needs for the rest of this season
I was talking about sending him down now, as the poster I was quoting said keeping him here is an insult.
Doing that would be useless.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:00 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I was talking about sending him down now, as the poster I was quoting said keeping him here is an insult.
Doing that would be useless.
and would help to play him like a workhorse-- 30 minutes a game

Old
02-04-2012, 10:10 PM
FrenchyRivera
Rookie User

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../18827756.html

"They pay for their tickets, they have the right to do what they want," he said. "But instead of booing one player, night after night, stop going to the Bell Centre if you're that angry. The abuse can destroy a person."

Brisebois reached the breaking point before a game against the Toronto Maple Leafs in February 2003 when he complained of chest pains during the warmup and feared he had had a heart attack. He was later diagnosed with stress-related anxiety.

"The doctor told me that my heart was fine," Brisebois said. "Everything was in my head. I wasn't a machine, just a player who worked hard. (But) In the street, people would shout, 'you're rotten, Brisebois,' It was too cruel."

"I can tell you that the pain was so great that every insult destroyed me bit by bit, undermined my confidence," he said. "After parties, I hid myself and cried in my car on the way home."

He was diagnosed with depression, but Brisebois said he couldn't just walk into the locker room and tell his colleagues he was taking antidepressants.

I want everyone to read the article above about Patrice Brisebois's struggles when he was being relentlessly booed on the ice. I don't care "how much money you make" or "how mentally tough you are", athletes are still human beings.

This "sarcastic" cheering for Gomez is disgusting and as a Canadiens fan of 20 years, I am disgusted at the fans who not only do this at the games but sit on message boards saying how "wonderful" it is. I feel sad for you people saying this, you need to look in the mirror and examine the direction your life is going in, because it's truly disgusting.

FrenchyRivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:12 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
the price to dehumanize a person?
Oh come on... Lets ban all satire/critical humor while we're at it. Its illegal to make fun of public people from now on!

I won't celebrate or any stupid stuff like that, nor would I boo Gomez but he's a public person making a fool of himself by being absurdly incompetent.

Laughing at Gomez not scoring a goal over 1 year is like laughing at Pauline Marois talking english.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:38 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Oh come on... Lets ban all satire/critical humor while we're at it. Its illegal to make fun of public people from now on!

I won't celebrate or any stupid stuff like that, nor would I boo Gomez but he's a public person making a fool of himself by being absurdly incompetent.

Laughing at Gomez not scoring a goal over 1 year is like laughing at Pauline Marois talking english.
Look, there's just something about a performer, placed in that position by circumstances beyond his control, getting openly mocked on a regular basis by 20 000 fans that just makes me feel queezy inside. I don't get a kick watching it.

I find unclassy, tasteless, pointless and downright juvenile.

But that's just me.

Old
02-04-2012, 10:39 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchyRivera View Post
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../18827756.html

"They pay for their tickets, they have the right to do what they want," he said. "But instead of booing one player, night after night, stop going to the Bell Centre if you're that angry. The abuse can destroy a person."

Brisebois reached the breaking point before a game against the Toronto Maple Leafs in February 2003 when he complained of chest pains during the warmup and feared he had had a heart attack. He was later diagnosed with stress-related anxiety.

"The doctor told me that my heart was fine," Brisebois said. "Everything was in my head. I wasn't a machine, just a player who worked hard. (But) In the street, people would shout, 'you're rotten, Brisebois,' It was too cruel."

"I can tell you that the pain was so great that every insult destroyed me bit by bit, undermined my confidence," he said. "After parties, I hid myself and cried in my car on the way home."

He was diagnosed with depression, but Brisebois said he couldn't just walk into the locker room and tell his colleagues he was taking antidepressants.

I want everyone to read the article above about Patrice Brisebois's struggles when he was being relentlessly booed on the ice. I don't care "how much money you make" or "how mentally tough you are", athletes are still human beings.

This "sarcastic" cheering for Gomez is disgusting and as a Canadiens fan of 20 years, I am disgusted at the fans who not only do this at the games but sit on message boards saying how "wonderful" it is. I feel sad for you people saying this, you need to look in the mirror and examine the direction your life is going in, because it's truly disgusting.
I was not a fan of Brisebois...but for the life of me I just don't understand how you can boo a player on your team due to poor play and consider yourself a fan. It makes ZERO sense. I could understand if the player was a ******, didn't give any effort or was rude to the fans but besides that it makes no sense at all if you want that player to improve his performance. And that whole "I bought a ticket I have a right to boo" is some of the dumbest crap you can say. Jackie Robinson's hecklers said the same crap.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:42 PM
Lafleurs Guy

The cheering is nicer than booing. At least there's some good natured kidding in this.
Quote:
I was not a fan of Brisebois...but for the life of me I just don't understand how you can boo a player on your team due to poor play and consider yourself a fan. It makes ZERO sense. I could understand if the player was a ******, didn't give any effort or was rude to the fans but besides that it makes no sense at all if you want that player to improve his performance. And that whole "I bought a ticket I have a right to boo" is some of the dumbest crap you can say. Jackie Robinson's hecklers said the same crap.
I don't boo my players either. It's one thing to criticize a GMs decisions on a message board, it's a whole other ballgame to boo your team at the game. I just don't have it in me to do this. That being said, I support the right for other folks to do so.

As for Jackie Robinson, it's a dishonour to bring him up in this conversation. We all know what his hecklers were all about it it has nothing to do this this conversation or one involving a blueliner who'd trip on his own blueline. Let's leave Robinson's detractors out of this because it's an extremely bad comparison.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:47 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
The cheering is nicer than booing. At least there's some good natured kidding in this.
Still difficult to watch but in essence, I would actually have to agree. In high school, this would be more like collective verbal mockery rather than a full fledge beatdown.

Old
02-04-2012, 10:49 PM
larek

Quote:
its not for you to understand -- all of a sudden all booing will stop because it bothers you??
booing has been around since the beginning of sports --- its human nature- when fans are replaced by robots controlled by you then booing will stop

Old
02-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Vinc360

What do we do to let management know how we feel? I guess not going to the games would be better. But frankly, if Gomez can't take the 7.4 mil and laugh with us, there's something wrong with the guy. Even he must know he's not worth that much money and the money is what people are laughing about, not his skill level.

Vinc360 is offline   Reply With Quote