HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

#53, 2/4/12, Kings @ Hurricanes 1-2L Postgame THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
02-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

vCash: 500
Trade Kopitar, that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. LO ****ing L.

If I have to watch one more game of Stoll rendering Richards a useless player I'm going to shove forks into my eyes. I don't even care if it's my boy Jeff ****ing Carter; every time Stoll is on the ice with Richards I die a little inside. What's the point of having two top centers if one of them has to play with talent-less hacks with the hockey sense of Kyle Calder and hands of Mikko Eloranta. I don't care what it takes, get Richards someone to play with DL. One of your biggest believers is losing faith.

Seventyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
Until they take away points for going to overtime or a shootout, they still count. Florida has 11 OTL and they're sitting at the top of the southeast. Do you think any Panthers fans really care that much about why they're where they are in the standings? They're happy because they had reasonable expectations entering the season (missing the playoffs, probably) and their team is playing better than they hoped. Most of the rage around here seems to be based on the expectation that this Kings team would be leaps and bounds better than the teams from 09-10 and 10-11. This overall sense of entitlement after making the playoffs twice is ridiculous. Making the playoffs is not a right. Not pointing at you specifically it's just an overall theme. A lot of people
wrote off Carolina tonight. Well, Carolina is a pretty decent hockey team with a hell of a forecheck and we saw it tonight.
I'm not talking about points and standings. I am solely talking about the fact that the Kings have won exactly as many games as they've lost under Sutter. Obviously they've been getting to overtime in several of those losses. I'm not disputing that.

The Kings are actually scoring fewer goals per game under Sutter than they did under Murray. The difference is that they are averaging 1.55 goals against per game.

The fact that this team is WORSE than the 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 version is pretty disconcerting. I didn't expect them to be the best team in the NHL by "leaps and bounds," but I did expect them to improve. The core of this team (minus Quick) has clearly stagnated (and in some cases, devolved) in their development.

Carolina might have played a solid game tonight, but that's not an excuse for the Kings NOT to play a solid game. They showed up for about the first 15 minutes of the game and then watched Carolina control the game from there on out. The Kings could barely score one goal against one of the worst defensive teams in the NHL. That's a problem.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Johnny Utah

Boring. This team is just boring to watch.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I'm glad I missed the game and did something more resourceful, like go to the gym. It's really not worth having to watch every game anymore like I used to. How many times do we have to sit through and watch this team struggle to mount any bit of offensive pressure or good quality scoring chances.

Now when I see Boston, Detroit, New York, Philadelphia play, I see teams that work hard inside the offensive zone, a lot of movement, creativity, tape-to-tape passes, etc. Those games are fun to watch. Kings games are a God damn bore. Lombardi has assembled a team that has no sense of what to do inside the opposite blueline.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Johnny Utah

Can I trade Richards and Penner for Teubert, Schenn, Simmonds and that 2nd now?

Also, can I have that 4th and Purcell back and Moulson too. And let's re-sign Handzus...

Man, now that's a line-up....

Old
02-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Thats how the Bruins won the cup, that is how the rangers are winning now. That type of style wins hockey games in the playoffs not wide open odd man rush style.
The Bruins had the 5th best offense in the league last year. They have 61 more goals than the Kings this year in 3 fewer games.

SIXTY ONE. Can you imagine what Quick would do with 61 more goals of support? Are you kidding me?

They've also given up 6 fewer goals than the Kings. That is how they are the champions. "Defense wins championships" isn't what it used to be.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:25 PM
ScoreZeGoals
I'm bored...

Quote:
Until they take away points for going to overtime or a shootout, they still count. Florida has 11 OTL and they're sitting at the top of the southeast. Do you think any Panthers fans really care that much about why they're where they are in the standings? They're happy because they had reasonable expectations entering the season (missing the playoffs, probably) and their team is playing better than they hoped. Most of the rage around here seems to be based on the expectation that this Kings team would be leaps and bounds better than the teams from 09-10 and 10-11. This overall sense of entitlement after making the playoffs twice is ridiculous. Making the playoffs is not a right. Not pointing at you specifically it's just an overall theme. A lot of people
wrote off Carolina tonight. Well, Carolina is a pretty decent hockey team with a hell of a forecheck and we saw it tonight.
Entitlement? There might be a little of that, but what about the fact that we are over five years into a rebuild and we have the worst offense in hockey. It's easy to label people as being entitled because it lets you overlook the fact that there are justifiable reasons to be pissed-off at what is happening with this team. I expect my team to not play a stone-age offensive system. I expect people to be fired when they are inept (Kompon). I expect the GM to address gaping holes in the team that he has had years to fill. I guess I'm just entitled however because I want the Kings to resemble a 2012 hockey team

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Boring. This team is just boring to watch.
No way man, that was some entertaining hockey.

-LOL

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Looking at 11-4-6 as being a losing record is pessimism at its finest. I'm not pretending that I'm not disappointed with losing but I saw this team get blown out regularly while missing the playoffs for seven straight years so seeing them not lose a game by more than two goals for over a month and a half is pretty solid to me. This team lost five straight games in December. Expecting them to suddenly shift from that into a powerhouse is ridiculous. The fact that we're even competing for a playoff spot considering how poorly this team played for most of the season is a miracle.
I'm fully aware of this miracle - every time I look at the standings.

To add to this developing perfect storm: Nashville has already scored 2 goals against StL tonight - in the 1st period.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
Entitlement? There might be a little of that, but what about the fact that we are over five years into a rebuild and we have the worst offense in hockey. It's easy to label people as being entitled because it lets you overlook the fact that there are justifiable reasons to be pissed-off at what is happening with this team. I expect my team to not play a stone-age offensive system. I expect people to be fired when they are inept (Kompon). I expect the GM to address gaping holes in the team that he has had years to fill. I guess I'm just entitled however because I want the Kings to resemble a 2012 hockey team
Being pissed off is one thing. I hate watching this team lose more than anything so I am with you on that. (And I'm all for firing Kompon.)

But talking about things like trading Anze Kopitar when this team has climbed from 11th into a playoff spot in the past two months is just absolutely ridiculous. This team is not as bad as most people seem
to think, that's all I'm saying.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
yeah, I cannot lie: that stings!

Every day Kompon MUST expect to get fired. How can he not?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
johnjm22

There are less talented teams in the leauge that are outscoring the Kings.

Nearly every player on the Kings is struggling offensively.

^These facts clearly point to a systemic issue.

There's no one player that the Kings can realistically acquire that's going to turn them into an adequate scoring team. The SYSTEM must be changed first.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:32 PM
sjmay*

Another entertaining game, Ward was the reason why the Canes won this game, the Kings for shifts were all over them...

I liked the mixup of the bottom six, Richardson brought some energy to the 4th line, who...quite possibly was the best line all night, followed by Lotkionov's line.

That right there, loses you games, when your bottom six is outplaying your top six, you are going to lose on most nights...

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
I'm not talking about points and standings. I am solely talking about the fact that the Kings have won exactly as many games as they've lost under Sutter. Obviously they've been getting to overtime in several of those losses. I'm not disputing that.

The Kings are actually scoring fewer goals per game under Sutter than they did under Murray. The difference is that they are averaging 1.55 goals against per game.

The fact that this team is WORSE than the 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 version is pretty disconcerting. I didn't expect them to be the best team in the NHL by "leaps and bounds," but I did expect them to improve. The core of this team (minus Quick) has clearly stagnated (and in some cases, devolved) in their development.

Carolina might have played a solid game tonight, but that's not an excuse for the Kings NOT to play a solid game. They showed up for about the first 15 minutes of the game and then watched Carolina control the game from there on out. The Kings could barely score one goal against one of the worst defensive teams in the NHL. That's a problem.
It's not an excuse, no. But it's a reality of the league that on any given night any team can win. If the Kings went into this game expecting to win, that's probably a big factor as to why they lost. That's not the mindset they've had lately, but an aberration as far as the lack of effort. The poor showings have l been happening more frequently of late so I hope it doesn't become a strong trend, but it's not like we've been getting blown out every night.

This team has been earning their points for a while now. I would say that in most of the games they lost in OT/SO, they were the better team throughout the game. That's part of the reason it's so frustrating, but how many games under TM this year did we dominate? Those
few shutouts/blowouts here and there, but never consistency. This team has consistently been in games going into the third period for almost two months now. This team is a tweak and a spark away from being a top club, whether that happens or not remains to be seen but you can't deny how close we are.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1888
Quote:
Being pissed off is one thing. I hate watching this team lose more than anything so I am with you on that. (And I'm all for firing Kompon.)

But talking about things like trading Anze Kopitar when this team has climbed from 11th into a playoff spot in the past two months is just absolutely ridiculous. This team is not as bad as most people seem
to think, that's all I'm saying.
I don't see most people saying it's bad, it's just...very average. And trading Kopitar is pretty ridiculous IMO.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:36 PM
TheSlovenian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Another entertaining game, Ward was the reason why the Canes won this game, the Kings for shifts were all over them...

I liked the mixup of the bottom six, Richardson brought some energy to the 4th line, who...quite possibly was the best line all night, followed by Lotkionov's line.

That right there, loses you games, when your bottom six is outplaying your top six, you are going to lose on most nights...
But which line scored the goal tonight??? THE FIRST LINE. Effort isn't everything. Goals count.

TheSlovenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Johnny Utah

Stoll is out 2nd line RW. Penner is our 2nd line LW. Enough said.

Old
02-04-2012, 09:44 PM
johnjm22

Cam Ward:
3-1-2, 1.14 gaa, .966 sv% in last 6 GP

Jaroslav Halak:
6-1-0, 0.99 gaa, .956 sv% in last 7 GP

Looks like we ran into arguably the two hottest goaltenders in the league on back to back nights. Carolina has also been excellent defensivly as of late, and we all know St. Louis one of the best defensive teams in the league under Hitch.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:45 PM
kingsfan28
Its All About Sv Pct

Quote:
It's not an excuse, no. But it's a reality of the league that on any given night any team can win. If the Kings went into this game expecting to win, that's probably a big factor as to why they lost. That's not the mindset they've had lately, but an aberration as far as the lack of effort. The poor showings have l been happening more frequently of late so I hope it doesn't become a strong trend, but it's not like we've been getting blown out every night.

This team has been earning their points for a while now. I would say that in most of the games they lost in OT/SO, they were the better team throughout the game. That's part of the reason it's so frustrating, but how many games under TM this year did we dominate? Those
few shutouts/blowouts here and there, but never consistency. This team has consistently been in games going into the third period for almost two months now. This team is a tweak and a spark away from being a top club, whether that happens or not remains to be seen but you can't deny how close we are.
They played like it in the 1st, the problem was they didn't do that the rest of the game. The 1st and 3rd periods are completely opposite.

We also blew another chance to move up on SJ after they lost to PHX .

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:48 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
We're supposed to be emerging as a contender that free agents would find appealing. I'm just not seeing it.
The Kings will never be a free agent destination. Anyone lining up to sign in Anaheim after they won the cup? Vancouver and San Jose are contenders every year, and they're not big players come free agency either.

If the Kings had just 18 more goals, an average of 1 more goal for every player that suits up every game, they would be up near the top of the conference. If Penner alone had even 5 more goals, for a grand total of 9, which is still well off his career average, that's probably 5 more points in the standings.

KingsFan7824 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:52 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlovenian View Post
But which line scored the goal tonight??? THE FIRST LINE. Effort isn't everything. Goals count.
the 1st powerplay unit scored the lone goal tonight....

Back to what you were saying?

Old
02-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Nex06

Quote:

Any other line outplayed the top two lines tonight? Maybe Manchester top line? Healthy scratches? Bailey with friends?

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:56 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
Any other line outplayed the top two lines tonight? Maybe Manchester top line? Healthy scratches? Bailey with friends?
LOL Local beer league line, yea probably...

It was fun to watch, would have loved it more watching on a TV instead of a damn computer screen....next year will be different lol

Old
02-04-2012, 09:56 PM
TheSlovenian

Quote:
the 1st powerplay unit scored the lone goal tonight....

Back to what you were saying?
My bad.

TheSlovenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:03 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Cam Ward:
3-1-2, 1.14 gaa, .966 sv% in last 6 GP

Jaroslav Halak:
6-1-0, 0.99 gaa, .956 sv% in last 7 GP

Looks like we ran into arguably the two hottest goaltenders in the league on back to back nights. Carolina has also been excellent defensivly as of late, and we all know St. Louis one of the best defensive teams in the league under Hitch.
That seems to be the excuse every night there is a loss. At some point the Kings have to impose thier will on teams Consistantly.

Cup teams don't lose cosistantly to bottom feeders.

Nashville has already potted two on the Blues in the first period.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote