HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

GDT Wings @ Nashville Jan. 6 2005

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2006, 02:04 PM
Higgy4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
I can toss out better names, but they won't be available and/or a trade with Lang won't fetch them.
Then you dont "settle" for lesser guys for a player like Lang.

If the Wings really want Witt, it probably wont take Lang to get him. He is UFA after this year, he wants out of Washington and the Caps will probably be happy to get anything they can for him.

Old
01-09-2006, 02:11 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro

Carney is the guy I would go after if I were Ken Holland. He plays exactly the style of D that the Wings are lacking - tough and physical but not a dinosaur like Lilja. He can still move pretty well, and he can log a lot of minutes. He's the type of player that would be a perfect fit with Schneider. He would sit back and do his thing while Schneider jumps up all the time. They shouldn't give up more than a mid to low pick for him, or a combination of a low pick and someone like Kopecky or Meech, who have a lot of guys ahead of them and wouldn't be sorely missed.

The other thing we have to remember here is that because of the cap, the Wings don't really have any flexibility here. Carney is about the only guy out there that might be cheap enough to pick up and wouldn't cause cap issues.
Carney is 36 and Lilja is 30. So, Lilja is not the "dinosaur" of the 2.

Carney makes over 2 million a year, so I dont think we would considered him all that "cheap". In fact, of the 3 players we are talking about (Carney, Witt and Salei) he makes the most of all of them.

I would take Carney. I would take Witt. I would take Salei.

But I think they can get any of these guys without having to trade Robert Lang.

Old
01-09-2006, 09:35 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4

I'd take any of them also, on most teams. But I've been wondering if any would really fit Detroit's style. This isn't the 97/98 teams of bangers and grinders where guys like Bob Rouse and Jamie Macoun fit in. This team still more resembles the largely skill teams of the 2000s where blueliners like Duchesne, Dandeneult and Olausson thrived.

Now I certainly don't want Tom Poti on our blueline, but I wonder if any of those players have the requisite puck skills to really work on our blueline. We saw the trouble a typical stay-at-home guy can have in Detroit with Hatcher and, to a lesser extent, Lilja. This isn't to say they have to be able to rush the puck up ice, but that they should probably feel comfortable handling the puck in their own zone and making a pass or two and not just chipping the puck up the boards.

I'm not familiar enough with Witt, but Salei has always struck me as someone who just isn't all that hot with the puck on his stick. Carney, I'm in-between with.

Old
01-09-2006, 11:54 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98
I'd take any of them also, on most teams. But I've been wondering if any would really fit Detroit's style. This isn't the 97/98 teams of bangers and grinders where guys like Bob Rouse and Jamie Macoun fit in. This team still more resembles the largely skill teams of the 2000s where blueliners like Duchesne, Dandeneult and Olausson thrived.

Now I certainly don't want Tom Poti on our blueline, but I wonder if any of those players have the requisite puck skills to really work on our blueline. We saw the trouble a typical stay-at-home guy can have in Detroit with Hatcher and, to a lesser extent, Lilja. This isn't to say they have to be able to rush the puck up ice, but that they should probably feel comfortable handling the puck in their own zone and making a pass or two and not just chipping the puck up the boards.

I'm not familiar enough with Witt, but Salei has always struck me as someone who just isn't all that hot with the puck on his stick. Carney, I'm in-between with.
Those are just the 3 names that have come up the most in this conversation.

And, lets be honest...the Wings do need another solid defensive defensman. But...not to beat a dead horse still...trading Robert Lang to get a mid tier defensman like the ones we are tossing around is just the wrong move. I admit it will be very tough to pry away a stud top pairing guy from somebody...even if the Wings offer up Lang. But I still dont want them "settling" for a mid level guy either.

Old
01-10-2006, 07:23 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Carney is 36 and Lilja is 30. So, Lilja is not the "dinosaur" of the 2.

Carney makes over 2 million a year, so I dont think we would considered him all that "cheap". In fact, of the 3 players we are talking about (Carney, Witt and Salei) he makes the most of all of them.

I didn't call Lilja a dinosaur because of his age, it was because he's big, dumb, and slow. Carney is a physical defender but is more mobile. He's not Dandenault, but he can get around pretty well.

Witt, Carney and Salei all make about 2 million a year, so if the Wings could get one, they could get any of them.

I'm not talking about trading Lang because I don't think that's an option unless they want to give him away. He's more valuable than what they could get for him. Like I said, I would trade maybe a 4th rounder for Carney, or something like Meech and a 5th rounder. Given the way trades have gone down so far this year this doesn't seem out of line.

Old
01-10-2006, 08:33 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
I didn't call Lilja a dinosaur because of his age, it was because he's big, dumb, and slow. Carney is a physical defender but is more mobile. He's not Dandenault, but he can get around pretty well.

Witt, Carney and Salei all make about 2 million a year, so if the Wings could get one, they could get any of them.

I'm not talking about trading Lang because I don't think that's an option unless they want to give him away. He's more valuable than what they could get for him. Like I said, I would trade maybe a 4th rounder for Carney, or something like Meech and a 5th rounder. Given the way trades have gone down so far this year this doesn't seem out of line.
Well, when someone calls somebody a "dinosaur" they are normally referring to age. So...you confused me there.

Carney makes over 2 million, Witt makes 1.6 and Salei makes 1.8. Yes...all in the relative same ballpark, but in todays NHL every penny counts.

If I had my choice, I would want Salei. I just dont know what Anaheim would want. Obviously not Lang since they are cutting salary, not adding more of it.

Old
01-10-2006, 09:47 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Well, when someone calls somebody a "dinosaur" they are normally referring to age. So...you confused me there.

Carney makes over 2 million, Witt makes 1.6 and Salei makes 1.8. Yes...all in the relative same ballpark, but in todays NHL every penny counts.

If I had my choice, I would want Salei. I just dont know what Anaheim would want. Obviously not Lang since they are cutting salary, not adding more of it.
I lean toward Carney because he has more playoff experience and doesn't lose his cool like Salei does. Both players played well in the 03 playoffs, but that's Salei's only playoff experience. Carney has been to the playoffs 10 times. And Salei is 31, and Carney is 35, so it's not like Salei is 27 or 28, or that Carney is 39 or 40.

Old
01-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
I lean toward Carney because he has more playoff experience and doesn't lose his cool like Salei does. Both players played well in the 03 playoffs, but that's Salei's only playoff experience. Carney has been to the playoffs 10 times. And Salei is 31, and Carney is 35, so it's not like Salei is 27 or 28, or that Carney is 39 or 40.
I think Salei plays a bit more physical than Carney though. Which I think should be the most important thing if the Wings are looking for D.

Carney is more Chelios-like. He can play physical, but he doesnt intimidate anyone by any means. Salei is the kind of guy who wants to punish other players.

I have been checking out the Ducks board, and most of them seem to think Salei is in the midst of a career year for them.

Anyway...if we are picking between these 2, I would lean more towards Salei. But who really knows?

Closed Thread