HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What condition are "demo" skates?

Old
02-04-2012, 01:42 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

vCash: 500
What condition are "demo" skates?

I have an opportunity to buy skates that are allegedly "demos" from a guy on Ebay. Supposedly, they were "only" worn a few times, but are being offered at 1/2 of the retail price.

Worth it, or pass?

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:03 PM
IDuck

demo typically means (ill use golf clubs for example because its easier to explain) that its a brand new club that a shop uses to showcase a new tech./product and let people test it out...now in the case of skates i would assume the guy is some sort of a dealer and had people test them out on the ice but probably not in a game....but to answer your question if they are in good condition its a great value....its like going to best buy and buying the open box item at $200 off and all your giving up is the joy of cutting open the box and opening everything (even though i love that)

edit: on something like this i always tell people to go with there gut...if it doesnt feel right or something seems off then dont do it, but from what you described, to me seems legit

IDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Crosbyfan

Are you going to try them on? Or do you really know the model?

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:43 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Are you going to try them on? Or do you really know the model?
No chance to try them on unfortunately, and they do not allow returns. I tried them on at a local hockey store to get a sense of how they feel, while still trying to decide how to proceed, so I know what size fits ideally.

What I'm looking to achieve is have a "performance" pair of skates, where my current pair is comfortable, but loosens during the games as they are a tad big. I'd keep my current pair for public skates with the kids, stick n' puck, etc., and use the smaller size, more snug-fitting pair for more competitive open hockeys/games.

I am leaning towards just getting another pair of my current (discontinued) skates as I found a brand new pair online at a 1/2 size down. I'll just wait until the newer model that replaced them goes on clearance in a year or two and is itself replaced with a newer model.

Old
02-04-2012, 11:49 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDuck View Post
demo typically means (ill use golf clubs for example because its easier to explain) that its a brand new club that a shop uses to showcase a new tech./product and let people test it out...now in the case of skates i would assume the guy is some sort of a dealer and had people test them out on the ice but probably not in a game....but to answer your question if they are in good condition its a great value....its like going to best buy and buying the open box item at $200 off and all your giving up is the joy of cutting open the box and opening everything (even though i love that)

edit: on something like this i always tell people to go with there gut...if it doesnt feel right or something seems off then dont do it, but from what you described, to me seems legit
What makes the situation seem a bit odd to me is that they have demos in this particular model in many different sizes.

Old
02-05-2012, 12:55 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
What makes the situation seem a bit odd to me is that they have demos in this particular model in many different sizes.
Well, not everyone's feet are the same size. If a shop has a demo program, they would have to have pairs in multiple sizes. I would be much more suspicious if they only had one or two sizes available.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote