HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Defence is Better than we Thought?

Old
02-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
Maybe because we believe a few isolated games against the reigning Stanley Cup champions is indicative of who we are as a team?

Against Boston we are:
0-4-0 6GF & 23GA

Against the rest of the league we are:
27-15-6 155GF & 129GA

Do you really not see the wide discrepancy between these? Against Boston we have the tendency to perform like an AHL squad often looking nothing like the speedy, resilient, offensively dangerous club we have entrenched ourselves as. Against the rest of the NHL we arguably perform like an an elite team and a legitimate playoff threat with our overwhelming speed and depth.

Considering we have only had two blowout losses the entire season -- both at the hands of the Bostonians, I think it's fair to dismiss those games as an anomaly when judging our teams performance rather than taking that small sample size against one dominant team as the norm.
but that doesn't fit his agenda

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

From what I saw of the game tonight, the defense did a really nice job of clearing the pucks from the crease after a save.

Although Reimer looked on his game.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:52 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
I think Gardiner has been the largest improvement lately, man he is awesome out there.
Last season, he was hardly noticable on the team, so he sure has come a long way.

A bit of credit should clearly go to the coaching staff for making some major adjustments. I do wish they would have done it two months ago. Let's not get carried away quite yet, though, the Sens looked absolutely horrible tonight.

I do have to say, defense not leaving our goalie(s) out to dry is definately a nice change.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:54 PM
NoTouchIcing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucky View Post
50 shots against is a good defence? Must be a new system I'm unaware of. :-/
Notice how they didn't give up ANY second or third chances. Any coach worth his salt will tell you you can give up as many shots as you want, as long as you contain real scoring chances.

NoTouchIcing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:57 PM
Captain Clutch 13

Scoring chances are more important than shots, and the Sens did not have many even though they apparently had 50 shots, it felt like they shot 20.

Our team defense has been a lot better in 2012, I find myself not yelling at the TV as much about getting the puck out of our zone or making easy, easy clears. We moving our feet, covering lanes, have active sticks, and our pk has aggressive and solid. We get hemmed in here and there but thats hockey, thats going to happen.

Captain Clutch 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:58 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTouchIcing View Post
Notice how they didn't give up ANY second or third chances. Any coach worth his salt will tell you you can give up as many shots as you want, as long as you contain real scoring chances.
The whole reason there were so many shots on Reimer in the first place is because of how tight the Toronto defense was defending in their zone. When you can't drive the puck to the net or make plays around the net the first thing the coach says to try to get something going is "Just get some shots on net", the Senators were pretty much stuck using this strategy the entire game due to how the Leafs dominated the play.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:08 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
lol it's amazing some ppl post here without watching the games

after letting in some questionable goals against them last game, the sens were throwing EVERYTHING at the net

their gameplan was very simple- throw it in the corner, retrieve, pass to point and throw on net or throw on net from the corners

i didn't see much creativity out of the sens, they were just shooting everything as soon as they could

the leafs gave almost no 2nd shot chances or odd man rushes

it was a solid defensive effort

reimer was solid, didn't have to stand on his head

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:13 PM
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart

Gardiners puck poise is amazing.

The Lollipop King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:19 PM
IWD
Playoff-hardened

To be fair, if you take away the Bruin blowouts this season, our GA is actually pretty solid considering our mediocre goaltending early on.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:22 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTouchIcing View Post
The leafs defence was good at clearing the crease tonight though Reimer made a few outstanding saves. And you are sort of minimizing Reimer stopping 49 shots.

Also it should be said that Ottawa did play last night - they looked flat out there.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:26 PM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

With the young up-and-coming guys on our blueline in Gunnarsson, Schenn, Gardiner and even in a sense Franson it's looking like the Leafs have a bright future. Liles is a solid vet and Phaneuf is still young as well.

As most young defenseman are the Leafs are prone to inconsistency but I think its safe to say the Leafs having a promising future on the backend.

Gardiner is looking better and better lately and Gunnarsson does so much for this team. Franson lately has been very solid and Schenn has been picking it up as well too.

As far as the cupboard goes the Leafs don't have any really flashy defenders in the system but guys like Aulie, Holzer, Blacker and Percy could become decent NHLers.

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:29 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

i recall RW saying after the allstar break about wanting to get the team to play better defense .
so i guess theyre clamping it down now
they did last yr at this time as well - esp after the trade deadline

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Lots of ****** perimeter shots to inflate the total.

Or wasn't that the argument used to deride the Leafs when we'd put 50 up in a game?

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
It's been okay, still not great.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:48 PM
kawi

Liles

kawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:50 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi View Post
Liles

He helped the transition with quick paces. And Ottawa had no legs after playing last night to apply an aggressive forecheck. The leaf defenders fold under an aggressive forecheck.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:50 PM
lebdafor norris
sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi View Post
Liles
Leafs has not allowed a goal since he came back, he must be the reason. But seriosly I though this guy was suppose to be below avg defensively, he is actually pretty good in his own end, probably has the highest hockey IQ out of all the Leafs D.

lebdafor norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:02 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

"we"?

speak for yourself.

look:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...e=6&highlight=

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:02 AM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
case in point, this point. you can be articulate and still make no sense.
Or you can attempt to be articulate as well as make sense, and do neither. Both of which, are not me. That previous post made complete sense, though perhaps you were still living in 67'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
Maybe because we believe a few isolated games against the reigning Stanley Cup champions is indicative of who we are as a team?

Against Boston we are:
0-4-0 6GF & 23GA

Against the rest of the league we are:
27-15-6 155GF & 129GA

Do you really not see the wide discrepancy between these? Against Boston we have the tendency to perform like an AHL squad often looking nothing like the speedy, resilient, offensively dangerous club we have entrenched ourselves as. Against the rest of the NHL we arguably perform like an an elite team and a legitimate playoff threat with our overwhelming speed and depth.

Considering we have only had two blowout losses the entire season -- both at the hands of the Bostonians, I think it's fair to dismiss those games as an anomaly when judging our teams performance rather than taking that small sample size against one dominant team as the norm.
I don't care about the 'wide discrepancy'. It's irrelevant if the team won or loss the game. Point is, you don't do what the OP did, or what a lot of people here enjoy doing i.e., manipulate facts. They lost to Boston, it counts towards the GAA, and instead of eliminating the games because they were so bad and the Leafs play like another team against the rest of the NHL, they could, you know... just continue to progress defensively.

Also, I have never said the Boston games are the 'norm'. I actually did not even introduce the 'wide discrepancy' between Boston and against the rest of the NHL, you did. To which you then went ahead to prove your anomaly. I simply maintained, that you don't dismiss stats because they don't go with your own agenda, i.e., in this case, proving that the Leafs are good defensively. If someone were to argue the Leafs were good offensively, the same logic would be to remove all the games in which they were outplayed by a great goaltender. You simply, do not do commit such a fallacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
but that doesn't fit his agenda
Another brilliant post.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:10 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
Or you can attempt to be articulate as well as make sense, and do neither. Both of which, are not me. That post made complete sense, though perhaps you were still living in 67'.

I don't care about the 'wide discrepancy'. It's irrelevant if the team won or loss the game. Point is, you don't do what the OP did, or what a lot of people here enjoy doing i.e., manipulate facts. They lost to Boston, it counts towards the GAA, and instead of eliminating the games because they were so bad and the Leafs play like another team against the rest of the NHL, they could, you know... just continue to progress defensively.

Also, I have never said the Boston games are the 'norm'. I actually did not even introduce the 'wide discrepancy' between Boston and against the rest of the NHL, you did. To which you then went ahead to prove your anomaly. I simply maintained, that you don't dismiss stats because they don't go with your own agenda, i.e., in this case, proving that the Leafs are good defensively.

Another brilliant post.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:10 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafTroll View Post
Leafs has not allowed a goal since he came back, he must be the reason. But seriosly I though this guy was suppose to be below avg defensively, he is actually pretty good in his own end, probably has the highest hockey IQ out of all the Leafs D.
Id so say too, but yeah, was not expecting him to be as good as he is in his own end, not that he is perfect, but from the way avs fans talked i expected worse.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:13 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Can't believe Sens had ~70 shots directed towards Reimer (we had 20 blocked shots). They didn't get many good scoring chances.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:22 AM
dimi78

Quote:
Point is, regardless of whether you think the quality was low, against a good team, that would be a different story. Obviously, they were hemmed in their own zone too long on one too many occasions. But, oh well....
That is due to the wingers not being strong on the wall not the defense and it's the Achilles heal to this team defensively. If you've noticed the Leafs don't sustain a long pressure on the cycle offensively either and it's due to the same reason.

It's these situations where this team has improved mightily. Even though they're being hemmed in they're not loosing there cool caught running around and they're keeping there sticks down to not pick up penalties. They're much more poised in these situations and staying DISCIPLINE on there positional form as units keeping teams on the out side and protecting the front of the net rather it be the defense men clearing rebounds or checking the opposition in the front of the net and the forwrds espescially the wingers not named MacArthur have improved immensely in dropping down low in front of the net in helping the D pick up rebounds. It helps that the goalies have stepped up too the soft back breaking goals have been far and in between from both goalies from what was going on early in the year espescially on the PK they're making saves now that wasn't the case espescially with Reimer in the month of December

You don't get 6 shutouts in 13 games if your not playing solid defense hemmed in or not.

Last edited by dimi78: 02-05-2012 at 12:27 AM.
dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:33 AM
The Viper
Legolas

vCash: 90
we have 5 Shut-Outs in 13 games, not 6

sorry for correcting

The Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 01:32 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rask View Post
The defense is better than we thought because we haven't let in a goal in two games. Once we lose a game everyone will again resort to "This guy's a piece of ****! I've had enough of Burke! How much longer do we have to watch him overpay for these overrated defenseman!? **** this team!"
Rask = genius.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote