HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Keenan vs. Healy

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2003, 04:46 AM
Coolburn

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Keenan vs. Healy

So I read a little blurb in today's Sun-Sentinel paper regarding a comment by Glenn Healy and Keenan's reply to it (and then the rebuttal). If you haven't heard or seen it yet, here is the little part that was in the paper:
Quote:
Healy remarks irk Keenan

Former goalie Glenn Healy unleashed into Keenan this week on Canada's TSN, and the Panthers' coach isn't happy.

In arguing that a team doesn't need a competent bench coach to win, Healy cited Keenan's 1994 Stanley Cup-winning term with the New York Rangers, where Healy was the backup goalie.

"It was uncalled for and it's fairly disrespectful," Keenan said. "I don't know why he's doing that. ... I guess he's upset that he didn't play that much, I don't know. Mike [Richter] had such a great year, so how can I not go with the hot goaltender?"

Keenan mostly feels betrayed because he says he's the reason Healy came to New York.

"[Then-GM] Neil [Smith] wanted to sign a backup goaltender," Keenan said. "[Then-assistant coach] Colie [Campbell] and I said, `Let's get this Healy guy.' We think he'd be more experienced and a good backup if [Richter] ended up getting hurt.' Neil said it would cost us a little money and I said, `Neil, this is New York.'"

According to the Globe and Mail, Keenan complained to a TSN executive about Healy's comments. Healy's reaction?

"Keenan may run the 20 rented mules down in Florida, but he doesn't run me anymore," Healy told the newspaper. "And he should be aware of that. First Amendment rights."
Source: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/h...ports-panthers

So with this out there now, many FL fans have already questioned whether Iron Mike is the right coach for the Panthers. He's had success in the past with young teams but that's if they buy into his system. These players just don't seem to respond to Keenan like other teams he's had. Maybe one or two individuals (Jokinen & Kozlov) have responded but the rest probably never will. So Keenan will bench them and Dudley will be forced to move them and their careers will probably flourish elsewhere. The point of this rambling is to find out what other fans think of the situation: Should FL stick with Keenan or to succeed should they fire him and get another coach? I'm not asking if Keenan will get fired...just if he's the wrong coach for this team?

Old
10-25-2003, 05:47 AM
tom_servo

What's up with Healy calling out Keenan?

Old
10-25-2003, 06:00 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

geez, I always thought Healy was kinda meek

Old
10-25-2003, 06:41 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichPanther
The point of this rambling is to find out what other fans think of the situation: Should FL stick with Keenan or to succeed should they fire him and get another coach? I'm not asking if Keenan will get fired...just if he's the wrong coach for this team?
I automatically respond "fire him" when Mike Keenan's name is in such a question. It's my right as a Blues fan.

Old
10-25-2003, 06:57 AM
Table 6

I don' think Glen Healy should be questioning the performance of ANYBODY. The guy was one of the worst goalies to ever have a fairly long career in the NHL, and im still amazed at how he managed to pull that one off.

Old
10-25-2003, 08:25 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Keenan will get fired. He'll get into a power struggle with the GM, like he ALWAYS DOES, and then either he will get fired, or he will get named GM, then subsequently fired because he sucks so much.

Also - Keenan didn't have anything to do with the 1994 win? Screw that. Mike Keenan is most of the reason that club won the Stanley Cup that year from missing the playoffs the year before.

Old
10-25-2003, 08:46 AM
FlaPanthers7

Keenan was great for that Ranger team in '94, but he is not the right coach for a rebuilding franchise. The players aren't buying into the system, and the players aren't perhaps the right kind of players for his system. He won't adjust to the kind of team he has and Cohen is too cheap to bring in the players Keenan works best with. Florida has had absolutely no consistency under Keenan - some nights they buy into him, some nights they don't!

He worked a wonder with Jokinen, but all he really did was give him the opportunity and confidence to be the kind of player everyone expected. That's the great movitator Keenan can be...

The best thing IMO for the Panthers is to end the Keenan experiment before it gets any worse and bring in a coach who is a teacher, exactly like Atlanta did with Bob Hartley.

Old
10-25-2003, 10:45 AM
Vlad The Impaler

I think Keenan is becoming a wiser coach over time and *slowing down* on the power struggles. Still, there's already a power struggle with loser-Dudley since Ricky-basement has prevented him from running practices in the past and both apparently report to the owner or something.

Florida is really a circus right now and it ain't Keenan's fault IMO. I look at this roster and see no way this team could perform much better than it does right now. They are very, very young.

This team will get better when Rick Dudley goes, not Keenan.

Iron Mike has worked wonders with Jokinen, true. He has done the same in the past for Pronger and Thornton. He can probably jumpstart Bouwmeester when the kid is ready (if allowed to run freaking practices!) but it's just not going to happen overnight with such a young team.

Atlanta has more veterans in key roles and also can thank Kovalchuk who has been a goalscoring machine and basically scored half the goals for his team right now.

I look at the Panthers roster and don't see how they could do much better than that right now.

Old
10-25-2003, 11:19 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
I think Keenan is becoming a wiser coach over time and *slowing down* on the power struggles. Still, there's already a power struggle with loser-Dudley since Ricky-basement has prevented him from running practices in the past and both apparently report to the owner or something.

Florida is really a circus right now and it ain't Keenan's fault IMO. I look at this roster and see no way this team could perform much better than it does right now. They are very, very young.

This team will get better when Rick Dudley goes, not Keenan.

Iron Mike has worked wonders with Jokinen, true. He has done the same in the past for Pronger and Thornton. He can probably jumpstart Bouwmeester when the kid is ready (if allowed to run freaking practices!) but it's just not going to happen overnight with such a young team.

Atlanta has more veterans in key roles and also can thank Kovalchuk who has been a goalscoring machine and basically scored half the goals for his team right now.

I look at the Panthers roster and don't see how they could do much better than that right now.
Um, I think you're mistaken and that might be due to the media not giving you all the facts. Keenan is employing a method he learned from Scotty Bowman by letting his assistants run the practices. He's mentioned this at least twice that this was his decision to let the assistants run the practices. I think Dudley just wanted to bring his guys in as assistants but Keenan also got one of his in Pelino. The supposed power struggle that you "perceive" isn't really there and it was also perpetuated by the media. Keenan has also come out and said this is false about him and Dudley not getting along. They had discussions all summer about which players were going to be brought in and Dudley didn't bring in anyone that Keenan didn't want actually. I wish I kept that article in the Sun-Sentinel because it actually sets the story straight. I disagree that the team will get better when Dudley leaves though and believe his past is influencing your opinion of him. This is the reason I have posed the question because I don't want Keenan's past have any influence on his current coaching job.

Having said all that, I think the team could only play a tad better because we've seen them do that. They just need to be consistent and that's not something synonymous with such a young team. But I still wonder if Keenan is helping or hurting that consistency. There might be a better coach out there for this team and many feel its Larry Robinson. I just wanted to hear some others opinions.

Old
10-25-2003, 12:00 PM
incawg

Healy is a moron. He had some comment about how "everyone" in Canada outside of montreal is a leafs fan during the same show. Probably just trying to get press for himself.

Old
11-09-2003, 08:34 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
The supposed power struggle that you "perceive" isn't really there and it was also perpetuated by the media. Keenan has also come out and said this is false about him and Dudley not getting along.
I can see that :p

Quote:
They had discussions all summer about which players were going to be brought in
I hope Dudley also told Keenan the scoop that he was going to get the boot early in order for Ricky-basement to once again find some weird scapegoat and continue his crappy ways... :p

They sure got along nicely, hey? This is exactly what I am talking about. It's always smoke and mirror with Dudley. One improv move after the other.

Old
11-09-2003, 10:17 PM
evildreams

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
I can see that :p

I hope Dudley also told Keenan the scoop that he was going to get the boot early in order for Ricky-basement to once again find some weird scapegoat and continue his crappy ways... :p

They sure got along nicely, hey? This is exactly what I am talking about. It's always smoke and mirror with Dudley. One improv move after the other.
vlad, you are one very bitter BUF fan; so he ****ed your sabres...let it go.

spin it how you'd like, but on this one, dudley was right. frankly, i've gotten far too used to FLA pissing season away (wasting 1/2 the season) before making a needed change, so this is rather refreshing. now the big question is not only who will come in and be the permanent replacement, but when it will be formally announced. if this process extends over a grotesque period (10 games), then i might jump on your boat. we shall see.

Old
11-09-2003, 11:47 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildreams
vlad, you are one very bitter BUF fan; so he ****ed your sabres...let it go.
What the hell are you talking about

Quote:
spin it how you'd like, but on this one, dudley was right.
I actually agree! I don't understand how Keenan lasted this long. It's better to have a management with true solidarity. It will also buy Dudley some time.

Quote:
frankly, i've gotten far too used to FLA pissing season away (wasting 1/2 the season) before making a needed change, so this is rather refreshing. now the big question is not only who will come in and be the permanent replacement, but when it will be formally announced. if this process extends over a grotesque period (10 games), then i might jump on your boat. we shall see.
I don't think it will take that long. People are waiting in lines for NHL head coach jobs. I'd say there's a good chance it will be one of Dudley's friends.

I have no idea what that team needs as far as coaching direction. Last year I watched the Panthers maybe 40 times and I liked the way the team played. This year I have watched only two or three periods and hear a lot of bad comments.

Closed Thread