HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #50: Kings vs Blues (premature pie)

Old
02-04-2012, 05:46 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

vCash: 500
Wow.. another 1-0 win at home for the blues, feels like they've had a few of those lately...

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Pie Man
A-Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermorrison View Post
Leave Halaks first six games behind, he would be leading the leage in GAA (1.56) and SV% (.941)!
It's odd enough to see one of our players ranking top-5 in any staticts, but that way we'd have our goalies 1st and 2nd in GAA, 1st and 3rd in SV% and 3rd and 4th in shutouts...
The trap man Hitchcook can do wonders for a goalie stats.

Pie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample XIX View Post

You mean forchecking and backchecking ?

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Stillflexin*

New fact about the Blues on HFBoards. We aren't a good team just a product of a system. Our goaltenders our actually really bad we just play trap to make them look good.

Stillflexin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:33 PM
execwrite

From the Nashville newspaper preview:

Blues injuries: D Barret Jackman (head) and C Scott Nichol (personal) are questionable. D Kent Huskins (ankle) is doubtful. C Alexander Steen (concussion) and C Andy McDonald (concussion) are out.

Predators injuries: None

Huh???

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:35 PM
mistermorrison

Send a message via ICQ to mistermorrison
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample XIX View Post
Let's be honest: Either your haven't watched much Blues hockey lately or you are pretty new to the sport - which one is it?

mistermorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:39 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I really thought Arnott had a fractured clavicle. If its just soft tissue soreness to the shoulder, that's great news (even if he misses a couple games).

Halak is so confident in his interviews. I love what he said. "Some nights I need the guys to step up and get some goals. Tonight that wasn't necessary and I was able to make the saves." Humble and clearly feels like a part of a team.

Because of the long break, I wouldn't be surprised if Elliott got the start (edit, JR says it will be Halak).

The Blues really need to get a solid win vs Nashville. They've arguably outplayed them in a couple of the losses earlier this year. But its the 2 points that matter.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 03:38 PM
BlueDream

Halak got a shutout. He was always going to get the start tonight.

And let me say that Halak and Elliott have been GREAT and made big saves but Hitchcock's system DOES still help them. I think it helps our defense more though. We have solid d-men but our forwards are generally very good at back-checking that it helps them out and we allow fewer shots.

I'm just saying, I think our goalies and defensemen would have slightly worse numbers on other teams, but still be good. But on our team they're great, if that makes sense.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 03:56 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Basically the Blues are a puck possession team now, so the whole goal when they don't have the puck is backcheck & disrupt plays until possession regained. Since there's always a PMD out there with Petro, Shattenkirk or Russell, they don't have to do anything fancy except get the puck back and trust the D to start a new play up ice (on top of which the Perron/Steen/Oshie neutral ice steals help a lot). Then they also forecheck smartly and with lots of physicality so they wind up getting a bunch of offensive zone time. They just need one or two more guys to be better finishers. You can see why Brett Hull loved playing for Hitchcock once he bought in; if the Blues had a sniper ala Ty Tarasenko the offense would take off.

I was particularly impressed with Berglund in the Kings game even though he didn't get on the score sheet. He seemed to have jump everywhere and was fantastic on the backcheck. One thing I've noticed with him is his energy can wind down so it'll be interesting to see how he looks in the later stages of tonight's game.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Blues0307

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Halak got a shutout. He was always going to get the start tonight.

And let me say that Halak and Elliott have been GREAT and made big saves but Hitchcock's system DOES still help them. I think it helps our defense more though. We have solid d-men but our forwards are generally very good at back-checking that it helps them out and we allow fewer shots.

I'm just saying, I think our goalies and defensemen would have slightly worse numbers on other teams, but still be good. But on our team they're great, if that makes sense.
There's no doubt about it, and there's nothing wrong with that. Being a huge Rams fan, I'll take a coach that can coach his players up any day of the week.

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 04:44 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Berglund and Stewart both showed signs of life. That line was playing exceptionally in the 1st period, and solid all game.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 02:06 AM
Pie Man
A-Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermorrison View Post
Let's be honest: Either your haven't watched much Blues hockey lately or you are pretty new to the sport - which one is it?
Is there a 3rd option? Look, I just want some Pie

Old
02-05-2012, 02:11 AM
Pie Man
A-Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillflexin View Post
New fact about the Blues on HFBoards. We aren't a good team just a product of a system. Our goaltenders our actually really bad we just play trap to make them look good.
Is not all the good teams playing after some kind of system? Or do you mean teams that look good on paper must be good on the ice too? and vice versa.

Before Hitchy come how did the Blues play? and how did we play after he took over?