HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Everything Scott Gomez: The Official Discussion

Old
02-05-2012, 06:49 AM
Muminek

vCash: 500
On one hand I get fans being tired and mad at Gomez, but on the other hand I`m more worried about how it will influence future UFA`s signings. Will they want to come to a place where their own fans will humiliate them like that? Montreal has a bad reputation this year already.

Muminek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 07:13 AM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Gomez humiliated himself. Though the terrible media (not the fans) could sway some players away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muminek View Post
On one hand I get fans being tired and mad at Gomez, but on the other hand I`m more worried about how it will influence future UFA`s signings. Will they want to come to a place where their own fans will humiliate them like that? Montreal has a bad reputation this year already.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 08:08 AM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
The montreal media's become quite the ****show.

I don't think you can blame the fans for being pissed that the player they are paying 7.8m dollars has scored 0 goals in a year.

I do think the fans can however be blamed, for driving out good players like SK, Grabo, and Ribeiro because they have "attitude problems", and then once they leave they thrive in whatever market they go to. You guys got pretty much nothing from those guys leaving.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post

When Grabo, SK and Ribeiro left how many Habs fans were upset that they gave-up on three highly skilled players, and got nothing in return?

Pretty much none; they had all been calling for their heads for years.
The funniest of the 3 departure was Grabovski. Not one single hockey analyst, journalist, commenter, self-styled expert (English and French media alike) put up the slightest defense of Grabovski. Have fun going back in internet archives to confirm this. This board was also near unanimous in wanting him out...

Grabovski was just a young kid not a vet making 8 M$ a season. I'm very impressed at Burke for really going against the grain on this trade.

Last edited by Erik Estrada: 02-05-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Gomez and those guys are on 2 different playing fields.

why even bring them up
I was saying that while Gomez deserves the "wrath" of the fans, in the past the Habs have driven out players who don't deserve it.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Calacatz
Pak-trick!

Hi there,
I come as a Leafs fan in peace not to kick your team when you are down or disrespect you fans or swear like my head off like the one dude in here that can't handle it. i come here to support the comments of the OP in saying all you fans should BOOO the crap out of this guy every time he touches the puck. For what he gets paid he should be in jail for robbery. In Toronto or any other passionate city we would have lost it with this guy long long ago.
Kessel goes 4 games without a goal and people lay into him. Thats what passionate cities like ours do.
Gomez is a joke and it pains me you all have to go through this with him.
On the bright side - if you are going to miss the playoffs do it the right way. Bottom out get a lottery pick and build properly. Not like us Leafs did. The one time we bottomed out we didnt have the pick & we all know who that is.
take care!

Calacatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

If Gomez doesn't like it, then ****ing retire.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Bullsmith

Personally I think if you've spent hundreds to dollars to see another boring "effort" from an AHL-quality team, any excuse you can find to cheer is a win. Seriously, I hate the boo-birds by and large, but Gomez is a fricking disaster, the team is a fricking disaster and Montreal fans are fricking passionate about hockey. They know ***** when they see it, and silence is not their nature.

I remember the whole building cheering a hat trick for ... it might even have been daigle. Pure sarcasm directed at the team in the form of cheering the opposition ("Go Go Buffallo- pronounced Boo-fa-low) rocked the corner blues more than once in the old Forum) or cheering the home-team goats when they manage to not fall down. It's an old tradition in this town.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137

DO IT!

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:02 AM
JackieChan

Will the Habs run a sepia video with Dire Straits' Walk of Life before the game, showing his best failed attempts of the past year?

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:17 AM
SlipperyPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Look, there's just something about a performer, placed in that position by circumstances beyond his control, getting openly mocked on a regular basis by 20 000 fans that just makes me feel queezy inside. I don't get a kick watching it.

I find unclassy, tasteless, pointless and downright juvenile.

But that's just me.
I think Gomez seems like a great guy, and I do feel a little bad for him that all of this is happening, but how exactly is this "beyond his control"? Gomez accepted his contract, knowing full well that a contract that size comes with a lot of pressure to perform, and he is the one who hasn't been performing. Who exactly controls his lack of goal-scoring if not him? On the flipside, would we say that someone like Stamkos, who is scoring goals, is not in control of his goal scoring? Of course not - likewise Gomez is completely responsible for this situation because he's the one that isn't scoring.

But all in all, I think this is being a little overblown - it's just a few fans trying to have a little fun in what has been an otherwise terrible and depressing season.

SlipperyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:19 AM
habitue*

This celebration is CLASSLESS and USELESS !

Another reason for UFA players NOT to sign in Montreal.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:34 AM
pepperMonkey

You know, these days I think the fans of the Habs are more detriment to the Habs than an advantage.
How many players have we booed out of town who are doing pretty good elsewhere? The fans/media are an advantage if the team was playing at the top of the field but those dynasty days are over and the chances of the Habs playing at that level in any kind of consistency are slim specially these days with the cap.
UFA's don't want to come here because of the fans and media (lot alone the financial situation).
Wouldn't surprise me if the players here who are having a tough time would want to go elsewhere as well.
It's not just the management that's a mess. The fans, media, management and the players, we are all at fault in the dismal team we see on the ice. As far as I'm concerned, the fans and media actually makes the team play worse. We go away to other arenas and have to contend with fans cheering their team on. We play at home and have to contend with the fans booing our players... The only players who do well are probably those that have incredible mental toughness or are playing up to their potential...and sadly that isn't the case most times.
Mind you, I'm not saying we don't have the right to boo our own players, because we definitely do. Its just that it doesn't actually help the team win or even help them play better.
Frankly we deserve the team we have now.

PS...please fire management. They suck.
And if you want the #1 pick, play Gomez and Kabs 30+min a game/every game and boo them like crazy. No big time UFA would ever want to play here so the only way to get better is from within, i.e. the draft. So we need that #1 pick.

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Natural Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
Well in a normal job, you'd be fired before it got to that point.

I'd deal with having a "let's ridicule Alex" day if it meant I raked in 7+ million a year.
No kidding! People who feel sorry for this guy must live in fantasy land.

In no other profession would this guy still be employed.

Natural Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:48 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan View Post
No kidding! People who feel sorry for this guy must live in fantasy land.

In no other profession would this guy still be employed.
Wouldn't be anywhere near acceptable. Imagine working for Dunder-Mifflin and just never making one paper sale.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:50 AM
windycity

this plus constant booing or fake cheering is infantile

It sure as hell isn't going to make players want to come or stay in Mtl, that's what I concerned about

and it sure as **** isn't going to make the struggling player play better, au contraire

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:53 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Look, there's just something about a performer, placed in that position by circumstances beyond his control, getting openly mocked on a regular basis by 20 000 fans that just makes me feel queezy inside. I don't get a kick watching it.

I find unclassy, tasteless, pointless and downright juvenile.

But that's just me.
It isn't just you. I echo your thoughts.

Granted he signed the contract but it wasn't in Montreal. He was traded to Montreal as part of a huge rebuild and after a tumultuous centennial season. Disappointment was already looming but frankly he was part of a team that did find some success despite injuries. He was never going to live up to that contract. And he's not the only one on the team underperforming.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
If Gomez really wants to end this, he should just go in front of the freakin net and hope it bounces of his freakin shoulder pad or something. Since he's not going there, he's not going to score. He has a big say on his inability to score. Somehow, he just doesn't want to pay the price anymore. Pretty scary knowing that contract isn't done and chances are he won't change his way of playing.
I just don't get why he hasn't done this. I mean the guy has been struggling forever and hasn't changed a thing about his game. He doesn't pay the price or do the dirty work that you sometimes need to do in order to get the puck in the net.

Folks say that he's not a power forward and we shouldn't expect him to be Tim Kerr and that's fine, the guy should still be going to the net. He should be going to the net anyway whether he's struggling or not.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:08 AM
sampollock

gomer has no room to talk,

he has sat in front of the media how may times, and said he needs to step in up, and his actions have not backed up any of the 1000 times he has said this,

so get out.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

The next time an UFA player (like Parise) will say NO to Montreal, you will say thank you to the idiots who booed Gomez and made a celebration because he didn't score in a whole year.

In life, your job, there will always be people who will work less and have a higher salary. S.T.F.U and DO to something else.

GET OVER IT.

Lars Mon Amour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

I would have never bet a few weeks ago that we'd be on the cusp of this actually happening. I would have figured Gomez would have scored, he wouldn't be in the lineup, or something else would have stopped it.

With that said, the organizers of this celebration are also fighting an uphill battle... It's a matinee game which means more young kids and less drunken rowdy fans. It's the day of the Super Bowl and the Habs are completely out of the playoff picture. People's minds are elsewhere.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
The next time an UFA player (like Parise) will say NO to Montreal, you will say thank you to the idiots who booed Gomez and made a celebration because he didn't score in a whole year.

In life, your job, there will always be people who will work less and have a higher salary. S.T.F.U and DO to something else.

GET OVER IT.
It hurts how much I agree with this. Well said.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post

GET OVER IT.
It's not that serious. I'm sure a guy like Parise will understand that scoring ONE GOAL will prevent this from happening to him. These guys are professionals and they understand that playing in front of 20K people every game might have some repercussions if their level of play is far from being adequate for their salary. Stop making it seem like hockey players are precious little animals who should be shielded from any (well deserved) fan criticism.

The guy hasn't scored in a year and makes $7.5M. If any NHL player cannot understand why the fans are giving him that kind of reaction, they probably aren't that smart to begin with. Do a decent job and nothing of this will happen. This is a very extreme and rare case of possibly the most overpaid player in NHL history not scoring a goal for an entire calendar year. HE. DESERVES. SOME. KIND. OF. BERATING.

Have you seen clients giving an employee a hard time because their work was not up to par? I know I did. I've been on the giving and receiving end of such criticism. It's normal. Why shouldn't it be the same for hockey players? Sure, this might be a little over the top. However, Gomez's streak is also way over the top. As a fan of satire and sarcasm himself, I'm sure he gets it. He's surely not happy about it, but I'm sure he understands.

So yeah. Stop the dramatic overflows of concern for Gomez and our team attracting UFAs. Score one single goal in a year, and this won't happen. End of the story.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
The guy hasn't scored in a year and makes $7.5M. If any NHL player cannot understand why the fans are giving him that kind of reaction, they probably aren't that smart to begin with. Do a decent job and nothing of this will happen. This is a very extreme and rare case of possibly the most overpaid player in NHL history not scoring a goal for an entire calendar year. HE. DESERVES. SOME. KIND. OF. BERATING.
Doesn't he get enough of that already?

I mean sure, the Bell Centre never seems to boo the guy but take a step outside and EVERYBODY is talking about him, the newspapers mention him daily and the radios can't stop with their odd joke here and there about Gomez.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Clumsyhab

Luc Gélinas latest tweet: "J'ai hâte de voir si les spectateurs vont suivre les recommandations de Carbo, notre collègue à RDS et huer copieusement Gomez."

That guy is a moron. Then he's gonna beg Mr. Gomez for an interview during the 1st intermission.

Last edited by Clumsyhab: 02-05-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote