Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Whats wrong with Wheat Kings

Old
01-28-2012, 12:49 PM
MBJets

vCash: 500
Whats wrong with Wheat Kings

What is wrong with the Brandon Wheat Kings they have been on a major slide, it is hard to believe with players like Stone, Ferland, Dziurzynski, Sundher, Walker, Roy, Poluck and Bertaggia

MBJets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 02:56 PM
WheatiesHockey

January has been a bad month for the Wheaties.
A lot of the problem is the failure to compete. It is pretty near impossible to beat a team like the Calgary Hitmen when the score is 7-0 in the third period.
The Wheat Kings are spending far too much time in their own end of the ice struggling to get the puck into the neutral zone before they are even on the attack. The power play is anemic.
The team is not in an enviable position standings wise currently.

WheatiesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 07:40 PM
oldunclehue

Firstly the Anderson trade was a bust, he turned out to be horrible, Boes broke his hand punching a wall so they were left with a bad goalie for the last month.

Also rumblings that Clousten is not very respected by the team and isn't happy in Brandon himself.

Too bad, they have a lot of great prospects who need this year and next to be good to get drafted high!

oldunclehue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 11:30 PM
WheatiesHockey

Currently the Wheat Kings have three players in the WHL top 20 scorers. Normally that would be a difference maker for a team looking to move up in the standings.

Old
01-29-2012, 10:54 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Level of compete has been a huge disappointment for me when watching the Wheaties this year... Which is odd, really, because under McCrimmon, the Wheaties were rarely out of a game. If Brandon played games with the level of compete that the Blades do, they would probably be on top of the division with the amount of talent they have.

I wonder if you guys will see Kelly McCrimmon behind the bench again next season.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 11:10 AM
MBJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
Level of compete has been a huge disappointment for me when watching the Wheaties this year... Which is odd, really, because under McCrimmon, the Wheaties were rarely out of a game. If Brandon played games with the level of compete that the Blades do, they would probably be on top of the division with the amount of talent they have.

I wonder if you guys will see Kelly McCrimmon behind the bench again next season.
There is a good chance that may happen. With KM there was no doubt if the coach was going to be replaced or not. I feel they are still kids and need strong direction from coaching staff to win.

MBJets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 10:55 PM
WheatiesHockey

Wheat King fan are a bit spoiled. The team has missed the playoffs exactly once in something like the past 16 seasons which is a very enviable feat.
Some of the games this January have been downright brutal to watch and fans could not wait for the game to be over and head for the exits and it looked like the players could not leave the ice fast enough after the game. Not fun.
Leaving aside the compete factor, the Wheat Kings really have not improved very much since the first third of the season when they were riding high in the standings.
Momentum means everything in junior hockey. Calgary Hitmen, for example got off to a slow start and now they are the WHL's hottest team beating everyone and showing no signs of stopping.

Old
01-30-2012, 08:44 PM
travellingman345

From what I can tell, the Wheaties need to shore up the D a bit. They are so offensive and don't seem to help out in their own end. If they can balance the offensive with the defense they will have success down the stretch. I would never count Brandon out.

travellingman345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 01:50 PM
WheatiesHockey

Heading into the season, the Wheat Kings defense was considered a strong point.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:28 AM
oldunclehue

Wheaties bottom 6 forwards are where the issues lie, and the goaltending issues for the last 2 months with Boes's injury.

Stone is always there and great to watch, he shows up game in and out. I love Ferland but he's up and down with his play. Walker works hard but again isn't a huge game changer.

Dzurzinsky(sp) hasn't impressed me, plays selfishly and isn't a very hard worker. Sundher looks like a bust for a trade, doesn't put in a lot of effort.

Bottom 6 after that just don't have the offensive punch to shore up the scoring when the top 6 aren't scoring.

Watching the Wheaties is really seems like an attitude change, the players don't seem energized and can't step it up when they are down a goal or two in a game.

Hoping to see playoff hockey, but not holding my breath!

oldunclehue is offline   Reply With Quote