HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

STU Tommies

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2011, 07:35 PM
STUTOMMIES

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
After much thought, I've reconsidered.
Let's rewind, shall we?

1. Van Laren hits Gaudet and down he goes. Play continues in the STU end and Quesnel hunts him down and gives him a slash on the leg.
2. Whistle blows and Quesnel is given a Match penalty. Ref speaks to Van Laren and nods his head. Van Laren is given nothing for the hit.
3. UdeM bench goes nuts. Tabernacks and Chalices being flung all over the place.
4. Ref finally goes over to see what the fuss is about and Serge blasts him.
5. Referee:"But Serge, Van Laren didn't mean it, he said so, and besides Gaudet had his head down so it's his fault. And besides, that was just like a Scott Stevens hit that didn't ruin anyone's career."
6. Serge: "I guess you're right. Sorry for being upset and I'll tell my guys to quiet down"

And they all lived happily ever after.
I know, I know. My problem isn't the penalty or the suspension, per ce. It's with a few folks (Timbit not included because I would be the same way if it happened to one on my side and it has) that want to make Van Laren a villain and have openly done as much.

It's over with but I'm not letting a few squirrels slander Van Laren endlessly and rest assured if someone didn't defend him, every time his name was mentioned some "commentators" would bring it up.

Old
11-27-2011, 12:59 AM
austrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
A little disappointed in the attendance. Thought for sure the place would be packed.
Hoepfully it is for their last game ever at the LBR in January.

understand it was close to a thousand....for that rink, that's a lot of people...considering how bad the tommies have been for so long, they seem to have recaptured some of the enthusiasm...once they start winning on a regular basis, the buzz will return if it already hasn't...

Old
12-03-2011, 12:16 PM
cookiecutter

There! For all of those who were wanting a coaching change over the past year or so, we got more than we could have hoped for these past two weekends! A couple of great games and tough losses. But we will eventually be back on the top of the pack and have a full rink! For those who wanted status quo, now you see what the fuss was about. Now we need to change up the female program. I know that will drag out the people who call me a troll. I know it has come a long way, but we have our choice of local female players since UNB vanished, we have money for European players, and we have money to recruit. We have everything but results.

Old
12-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Rob

Definitely better than the last three years. Still a long shot to make the playoffs but at least the future looks brighter than it has in a long time.

Old
12-07-2011, 10:28 AM
cookiecutter

STU Positives

Read the stuff Ryan was saying in the press this morning. Nice to hear a guy single out players for making positive steps. Most teams carry a truck load of stats on each player and they talk about these during player interviews. As much as hockey is a team game, passes will always go astray, penalties are part of the game, and players will pass up shots they should take. The more info a player can be provided about his individual play the more he can improve his piece of the puzzle. You can't teach talent, but the coach can certainly teach everything else...including mental strength. Go Ryan!

Old
12-07-2011, 12:21 PM
rantfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecutter View Post
Read the stuff Ryan was saying in the press this morning. Nice to hear a guy single out players for making positive steps. Most teams carry a truck load of stats on each player and they talk about these during player interviews. As much as hockey is a team game, passes will always go astray, penalties are part of the game, and players will pass up shots they should take. The more info a player can be provided about his individual play the more he can improve his piece of the puzzle. You can't teach talent, but the coach can certainly teach everything else...including mental strength. Go Ryan!
In keeping with my previous postings on this subject,I believe that the TOMMIES in the 1st half have demonstrated that they are better than their record and that the NEW coaching regime has made MONUMENTAL strides .

Acquiring more talent is a must but it now must be obvious to EVERYONE that there has been a MAJOR upgrade in the coaching who have managed to have THIS team give just about EVERYTHING that they can in giving the opposition fits on each and every night and utilizing the avaialble talent properly.

I believe that Tommies Ressurection is underway and that better things are closer rather than further away.

GO TOMMIES GO !

Old
12-25-2011, 09:37 AM
STUTOMMIES

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all you CIS fans out there. Hope everyone has a great holiday season! All the best.

Old
12-28-2011, 06:22 PM
STUTOMMIES

Saw this on another thread and wanted to share it with the rest of you. Super interesting article on the guy who started Hockeydb.

http://www.masslive.com/sports/index...m_rules_i.html

Old
01-02-2012, 09:53 PM
STUTOMMIES

STU lost a close one tonight against Moncton 3 to 2. First period was a dud for the Tommies as they were out scored 2 - 0 and out shot 18 - 3. I don't think the guys got the memo that Christmas giving was over as both goals came as a result of sloppy turn overs in their end. Although they did kill off a full 2 minute 5 on 3.

The two later periods were much more even but a third period PP goal by MCT stood up as the winner.

Bernier will be a big plus for STU moving forward and we finally get Van Laren back this Friday against Dalhousie.

Last edited by STUTOMMIES: 01-03-2012 at 05:35 AM.
Old
01-29-2012, 01:09 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Stu

Good weekend for the TomCats, 3 of 4 possible points. Beat X and an overtime loss to SMU. They will need 4 wins out of the last 5 games to take a shot at the last playoff spot. There games have been close and 3 of those games are on home ice.

Old
01-29-2012, 02:06 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Good weekend for the TomCats, 3 of 4 possible points. Beat X and an overtime loss to SMU. They will need 4 wins out of the last 5 games to take a shot at the last playoff spot. There games have been close and 3 of those games are on home ice.
If we could get a couple of bounces now and again perhaps we could squeak in. Overall we are 1 win better than last year, 2 points in the standings, and have been in many games. I think the culture of losing is still with that team but as some of the veterans move on and new blood is brought in, well maybe things change a little faster next year. Just a waiting game now.

Old
01-29-2012, 06:59 PM
SnipeShow91

Boys are making it interesting! Thats why the 2nd half of the CIS is the better and more exciting hockey. Especially January hockey!

Old
01-30-2012, 08:21 AM
cishockeyfan

I know this is irrelevant, but would like to see STU gets some new uniforms next year moving into the New Barn. Not a fan of their white jerseys with the extra Large T on them, or their Green Jerseys with St Thomas on them. I used to love their STU Logo, it was a great Logo for a college team on a Jersey. I find that extra large T makes their players look smaller than they are or something.

I like when they got those Dallas Stars Jerseys Back in the 90's and they looked intimidating coming into the AUC with those all Black uniforms, with the STU Logo with Dark Green , and pure gold Trim, not yellow like it is now.

Im pretty sure the tommies will be good from here on out, theyll get in a couple of big guns to build around the pieces in place for sure

Old
01-30-2012, 11:16 AM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
I know this is irrelevant, but would like to see STU gets some new uniforms next year moving into the New Barn. Not a fan of their white jerseys with the extra Large T on them, or their Green Jerseys with St Thomas on them. I used to love their STU Logo, it was a great Logo for a college team on a Jersey. I find that extra large T makes their players look smaller than they are or something.

I like when they got those Dallas Stars Jerseys Back in the 90's and they looked intimidating coming into the AUC with those all Black uniforms, with the STU Logo with Dark Green , and pure gold Trim, not yellow like it is now.

Im pretty sure the tommies will be good from here on out, theyll get in a couple of big guns to build around the pieces in place for sure
It is interesting that you mention that. STU only has one set of jerseys this year, their home whites with the big T. They didn't have money for away jerseys. On the road or at home white only this year.

Maybe over the summer they get new jerseys. The women got new white jerseys this year with "Tommies" across the front, retro 80 style, and they have their dark greens with the "T".

Old
01-30-2012, 04:34 PM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
It is interesting that you mention that. STU only has one set of jerseys this year, their home whites with the big T. They didn't have money for away jerseys. On the road or at home white only this year.

Maybe over the summer they get new jerseys. The women got new white jerseys this year with "Tommies" across the front, retro 80 style, and they have their dark greens with the "T".
Really? I was unaware they were not wearing the Green ones at all this year, what happened to them?

Old
01-30-2012, 05:32 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
Really? I was unaware they were not wearing the Green ones at all this year, what happened to them?
I believe they just wore out. They may have worn them in one preseason game, maybe, can't remember for sure but every regular season game was home whites.

Old
01-31-2012, 10:47 AM
austrooper

Quote:
I believe they just wore out. They may have worn them in one preseason game, maybe, can't remember for sure but every regular season game was home whites.
How bizarre? don't think I've ever seen that for a major university program...not to have home and away jerseys.....are finances that difficult?....and what does that mean for the recruitment of talent into the program?

Old
02-02-2012, 05:46 PM
RCPXP

On Friday, February 10th, the STU Men's Hockey team will say farewell to the LBR. Tommies TV invites you to share your best LBR Memories with us.

Tweet w/hashtag #LBRMemories
Post at http://www.Facebook.com/TommiesTV
Email to LBRMemories@gmail.com

We'll share your memories on Tommies TV on February 10th broadcast.

Old
02-02-2012, 07:46 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Tomcat

Best memory, maybe that guy who put on the old Tomcat costume. He had his belly full of booze one night and ran into the side of the Zamboni. Never did see him after that! He was a terrible skater, that shot pucks at the boards and the nets in between periods back in the late 80's, Early 90's.

Old
02-05-2012, 07:30 AM
AUS Fan

Playoff Chances

I am doing my gazintas again and figure that STU has one chance to make the playoffs: SFX and Dal split their two games, SFX and Dal both lose their remaining game and STU runs the table with three wins.
That will leave Dal with 19 pts, STU and SFX tied at 20 pts with STU holding the tie-breaker over the X-Men.
If Dal gets 20 pts, they hold the tie-breaker over STU.

Old
02-05-2012, 09:43 AM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
I am doing my gazintas again and figure that STU has one chance to make the playoffs: SFX and Dal split their two games, SFX and Dal both lose their remaining game and STU runs the table with three wins.
That will leave Dal with 19 pts, STU and SFX tied at 20 pts with STU holding the tie-breaker over the X-Men.
If Dal gets 20 pts, they hold the tie-breaker over STU.
Lets say that happens, unlikely, but it is possible. STU plays Saturday afternoon against PEI at 2 PM. STU wins and has twenty points. Dal and X play at 7 PM that night. One of those two teams are finished because of it and STU is hoping that X or Dal plays for pride/respect. After what I saw last night at the LBR, I don't think X will do that. Dalhousie...sure why not.

In regard to X's antics last night it was pretty bad but you could tell they were frustrated and disappointed with another loss to the last place team. Understandable really. I did want to point out the classy move Troy Ryan pulled.

X was playing out the rest of the game on the PK, most of it 2 men down with a 1:30 left. Ryan calls a time out. The only time I have seen this done, late in a game that is already won, is UNB against us several times. When the Squirrels do it they load the PP and pad the stats, all class. (Has anyone else seen UNB do this?) Ryan obviously told them to keep the puck on the perimeter, don't shoot on net, for the love of God don't get scored on and play out the clock. Why? Don't embarrass X and make the situation worse.

That pleased me as a hockey fan.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:18 AM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Lets say that happens, unlikely, but it is possible. STU plays Saturday afternoon against PEI at 2 PM. STU wins and has twenty points. Dal and X play at 7 PM that night. One of those two teams are finished because of it and STU is hoping that X or Dal plays for pride/respect. After what I saw last night at the LBR, I don't think X will do that. Dalhousie...sure why not.

In regard to X's antics last night it was pretty bad but you could tell they were frustrated and disappointed with another loss to the last place team. Understandable really. I did want to point out the classy move Troy Ryan pulled.

X was playing out the rest of the game on the PK, most of it 2 men down with a 1:30 left. Ryan calls a time out. The only time I have seen this done, late in a game that is already won, is UNB against us several times. When the Squirrels do it they load the PP and pad the stats, all class. (Has anyone else seen UNB do this?) Ryan obviously told them to keep the puck on the perimeter, don't shoot on net, for the love of God don't get scored on and play out the clock. Why? Don't embarrass X and make the situation worse.

That pleased me as a hockey fan.

I did notice this last time UNB played STU, as they did put their number 1 and 2 power play units out in the last of the game. In the past, when games have gotten out of hand, and UNB was on late power plays, they wouldn't often ever put out the Tremblays, Hennigars, Culligans and Baileys, and would usually put out the guys who were not regulars on the power play units.

I like Troy Ryan, I like what he has done so far, and I think he is truly respected by everyone, fans, media, players, opposing coaches. If you look at strictly wins/loses it doesn't look like STU improved a lot however they have, the rest of the stats have improved they're discipline has improved, they're spirits have improved. and with a full off season as head Coach Troy will have a much better chance of making even bigger strides for next year. The new Rink will certainly help.

Old
02-09-2012, 10:39 AM
SnipeShow91

it took till game 26, and the Tommies are out. At least it wasnt mid january where they were playing for pride. But I said it at the start of the year, they had to win the season series against Dalhousie and they didnt. They had to beat win the season series against Dal (didnt happen) win or tie X (they won it) get points off the big teams (1 OT loss to UNB, 2 to SMU) and split with UPEI and they would be 5th or 6th. If it didnt happen this year, should happen next year.

UNB webcast guys were saying Lavinge is done after this year? Any truth?

Old
03-08-2012, 09:11 AM
cookiecutter

Season over

Well, at least it was a fun season! It will be exciting to see what coach Ryan does now that he is able to build the team with his own recruits! We should expect to see results in three years and after four years what the team will be like for years to come. If Ryan does show success will he be offered other positions in other universities, junior etc. What will happen if we don't become compatitive? I see the womens team bowed out again. Should a coaching change be made there? After almost ten years of high recruiting dollars we are doing no better than teams that don't even get their sticks paid for! Oh well, probably an untouchable coach? I believe the mens program brings in dollars, but womens hockey not so much. I think they should be a club team like UNB. After all, other teams are winning at STU with no money going their way.

Old
03-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Island Husky

ROFL is the expression isn't it?? On the subject though, I was surprised at UPEI taking the title, and MT A getting into the final, Ol Jack must be singing in his cups! I see PEI is ranked 4th for the Nationals..seems high but I don't follow it close enough. I guess at the AUS Finals, PEI needless to say won some big games, I think their two toughest games were first and second. But anyway, that X game must have been a real "Katie bar the door" How quickly the intensity of this league has grown do you find?

Closed Thread