HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

In Praise Of Wilson

Old
02-05-2012, 09:28 AM
MrLegend28

vCash: 500
Detroit has the 6th worst PK in the league and they're the best team in the league..

MrLegend28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
diceman934

Wilson's record as a coach speaks for its self.....missed the playoffs 9 years out of 17 as a head coach thus far.

The PK is good right now, penalties are down that is coaching......however may I point out that he goal-tending has been great since the new year as well.....all good PK has great goal-tending.

Not a fan of Wilson.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsRReady View Post
Wilson definitely deserves some kudos. A legitimate argument can be made, however, that it took until the season was almost out of control before drastic measures were taken to fix the PK and to have the team start playing responsibly on the defensive side. Going into the season it was paramount that the PK and GA in general had to be fixed and everyone knew it. It just seemed to take Wilson a little longer than most to realize it.
Don't forget how bad our PP was last year as well, we were 2nd when the PK was really bad, so that has to be considered to on the "realize" it front.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:29 AM
LeafsRReady

And to use your analogy of turning the ship around, the Leafs were pretty close to becoming the Costa Concordia II.

LeafsRReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:30 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
And to use your analogy of turning the ship around, the Leafs were pretty close to becoming the Costa Concordia II.
Deep.

Old
02-05-2012, 09:46 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 208
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Deep.
Apparently not deep enough.

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:49 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Wilson's record as a coach speaks for its self.....missed the playoffs 9 years out of 17 as a head coach thus far.

The PK is good right now, penalties are down that is coaching......however may I point out that he goal-tending has been great since the new year as well.....all good PK has great goal-tending.

Not a fan of Wilson.
I agree, good goaltending is imperative.

#toskala

Old
02-05-2012, 09:50 AM
matcharles
Leafs for cup

I still want him fired. U mad?

matcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
I'd love it if he was fired but I do like the turnaround on the PK.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:56 AM
donkeyy0

You're right, I think Doug Wilson is a pretty good general manager. He's done pretty well for himself in San Jose.

donkeyy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:56 AM
SteveV*

Team is playing the best hockey in years and people still hold onto "I want him fired". It's hilarious, seriously. People can't separate personal likeability and one solid YEAR now of great hockey. Time to update the kneejerk hatred fellas, team plays hard.

Old
02-05-2012, 09:57 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyy0 View Post
You're right, I think Doug Wilson is a pretty good general manager. He's done pretty well for himself in San Jose.
See that little speck on your horizon, that's funny and you are here. Geez.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:04 AM
GrizzLeaf

I swear, when the Leafs make the play-offs, posters will still mention how long it took Wilson to get them there, if they credit him at all.

For a board full of fans that were saying they could be patient for a rebuild (when Burke came on-board), we sure are impatient for results. I've been maintaining all along that as long as this season's team does better than last season, and that team did better than the season before... (not just a little better but significantly better) then management has the team moving in the right direction.

Hate him or not, Wilson's made his mark on this team. The players work hard for him most nights. They obviously listen to him, since the PP went from bottom third to top third in one season. They've shown great improvements on the PK this last part of the season, and it's conceivable that they could rank considerably higher next season (if they keep doing what they're doing now).

Kudos for a job well done Wilson, god knows you get bashed enough when the team does poorly.

GrizzLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:09 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLeaf View Post
I swear, when the Leafs make the play-offs, posters will still mention how long it took Wilson to get them there, if they credit him at all.

For a board full of fans that were saying they could be patient for a rebuild (when Burke came on-board), we sure are impatient for results. I've been maintaining all along that as long as this season's team does better than last season, and that team did better than the season before... (not just a little better but significantly better) then management has the team moving in the right direction.

Hate him or not, Wilson's made his mark on this team. The players work hard for him most nights. They obviously listen to him, since the PP went from bottom third to top third in one season. They've shown great improvements on the PK this last part of the season, and it's conceivable that they could rank considerably higher next season (if they keep doing what they're doing now).

Kudos for a job well done Wilson, god knows you get bashed enough when the team does poorly.
Look at all the bums we've discarded, you look back now and it's amazing we won any games, just a motley crew of marginal players. It's really only been the last year or two that any sane person could claim a DECENT lineup, people who pad the "four years" stuff, come the F on, our talent level was abysmal, we were tearing this team down, NOBODY is left from those crappy teams. This is a process, and what I find encouraging, no signs whatsoever he is losing the room.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Coach Guido
Rookie User

The Coach

I like what Coach Wilson has done and I can't wait to hear people put down a winning team.

Coach Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:24 AM
donkeyy0

Quote:
See that little speck on your horizon, that's funny and you are here. Geez.
Well we certainly can't be talking about Ron Wilson.

I think he's been subject to a significant amount of unfair criticism from fans and the media, but he's been given an unbelievable amount of slack from management. If we could find some sort of happy medium, that would be right.

But he'd still probably have been fired a year ago.

Maybe the team wasn't good enough to work his "system", but as a coach how do you not alter your approach if you KNOW the team is not responding/cannot play the system you want. He shouldn't have been so single minded.

Even now, the team isn't "good". They're merely passable. Which...is a big upgrade. I think he set the bar so low in the past couple seasons that any improvement looks monumental. I don't know who I'd hire over him. Probably not Cronin or the other guy they brought in, I'd like Eakins as an assistant though. He seems to coach a very good defensive system from the games I've seen.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:34 AM
donkeyy0

Quote:
Look at all the bums we've discarded, you look back now and it's amazing we won any games, just a motley crew of marginal players. It's really only been the last year or two that any sane person could claim a DECENT lineup, people who pad the "four years" stuff, come the F on, our talent level was abysmal, we were tearing this team down, NOBODY is left from those crappy teams. This is a process, and what I find encouraging, no signs whatsoever he is losing the room.
The 2009-2010 Toronto Maple Leafs were not the least talented team in the Eastern Conference.

Although I admit this team looks vastly superior to that one, they were never THAT bad.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:34 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

praise for wilson comes with a playoff birth.

/thread

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:35 AM
donkeyy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreement View Post
praise for wilson comes with a playoff birth.

/thread
Do we aim so low that "roughly in the top half of the league" is enough success to warrant praise for a coach?

Old
02-05-2012, 10:38 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Do we aim so low that "roughly in the top half of the league" is enough success to warrant praise for a coach?
Yes, when you've missed the playoffs since the lockout, YES, success is making the playoffs. Or did you really expect us to be cup contenders already, and if so, please direct me to your musings on how we should have gotten there already?

I'd also add, PLEASE go back and look at our lineup a couple years back, if that doesn't look like juggernaut, nothing does! So much to work with for Wilson, SO, SO much, AND we had studs like Tlusty comin up too. SO deep!

Old
02-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Well we certainly can't be talking about Ron Wilson.

I think he's been subject to a significant amount of unfair criticism from fans and the media, but he's been given an unbelievable amount of slack from management. If we could find some sort of happy medium, that would be right.

But he'd still probably have been fired a year ago.

Maybe the team wasn't good enough to work his "system", but as a coach how do you not alter your approach if you KNOW the team is not responding/cannot play the system you want. He shouldn't have been so single minded.

Even now, the team isn't "good". They're merely passable. Which...is a big upgrade. I think he set the bar so low in the past couple seasons that any improvement looks monumental. I don't know who I'd hire over him. Probably not Cronin or the other guy they brought in, I'd like Eakins as an assistant though. He seems to coach a very good defensive system from the games I've seen.
The standings are so close and so much parity that the difference between good and great aren't much difference.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:48 AM
GrizzLeaf

Quote:
The first seasons were rebuild seasons (retool/rebuild/whatever label). We're finally going to see some results; making the play-offs. Going deep would be nice, but as they say, Rome wasn't built in a day. It's a process. This is just one step on the road to learning play-off success.

The coach has this young team playing hard most nights. He looks like he's a good choice for young developing players. Patience is a word that gets bandied about here often, but it's not something most posters have actually shown.

GrizzLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:49 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
The standings are so close and so much parity that the difference between good and great aren't much difference.
Yes, we're six points back of the defending cup champions to put the parity thing into perspective.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:50 AM
SteveV*

I bet all these people talking about low bars, all these years, are the SAME people who demanded Burke blow it up, tear it down, when he arrived.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Wilson will be judged at the end of the season, if the Leafs make the playoffs and if we do how the Leafs perform in the playoffs, this hasn't changed when we were slumping to when we are winning, this is fair in my mind.

The fanbase is too quick to give cred and too quick to criticize. I just had a discussion with a poster that told me Grabo was more valuable than Kessel was, fresh off his 1st star and points streak and Kessel not producing at a clip that was to earlier in the season. Now we or most know this is ridiculous as we saw last night, so best we keep an even keel and not overreact on a few games rather than judge on a whole season.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote