HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins claim Cal O'Reilly

Old
02-04-2012, 02:39 PM
AgentM

vCash: 500
O'Reilly got traded back to Nashville at some point during my season in NHL12 and now they won't trade him to me!

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

I give'em a B++ for the Bruins game.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:53 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
I give'em a B++ for the Bruins game.
Agreed . . . really, really liked how he, Sully, and TK worked the aggressive forecheck against the B's controlled breakout.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

In Shero we trust.

Jacques G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 03:08 PM
Honour Over Glory

Raymundo Shero picked a good time (and player) to pluck off waivers.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Pretty much what everybody described. He looks like a guy with a playmakers mentality and is somewhat creative with the puck, but he flubbed a few opportunities (Maybe a bit rusty) and he definitely looks soft.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Pretty much what everybody described. He looks like a guy with a playmakers mentality and is somewhat creative with the puck, but he flubbed a few opportunities (Maybe a bit rusty) and he definitely looks soft.
I think it's new-team jitters more than rust. We all remember what Neal looked like last year. I was far more impressed with O'Reilly tonight than I was with freshy Neal.

Old
02-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Jaded-Fan

As an aside, all the hand wringing about Sullivan that I have seen over the course of this year, he currently has only two less goals than Jagr (12-10) and it was only one less until Jagr potted one today in 'no one cares time' in the last period when his team was down by six goals. Jagr does have more assists, not a ton more, but more, but given who he plays with that is to be expected. And yeah Jagr did play 9 less games than Sullivan, but that also was expected and I expect him to miss more this season, and certainly was a factor in deciding between these two. You can not score from the press box.

All in all for less than half the cost, Sullivan was the wiser investment, if he was not the name player or story line Jagr was and is. Hell, at this point Jagr looks like he will end up pretty medocre in the total points and goals when all is said and done, maybe bottom half among forwards.. With over half the year gone, I do not see how people could look back and complain.

And this chump change pick up of his former linemate is looking, albeit for one game, pretty good as well. O'Reilly seems to have some wheels from the very little of the game that I caught and there is some chemistry there.

Last edited by Jaded-Fan: 02-04-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17

Cal didn't look nearly as bad as people said he was. Kinda like with Niskanen last season.

Either people severely overrated players' badness or Bylsma is magic.

Jesus Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 03:48 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
As an aside, all the hand wringing about Sullivan that I have seen over the course of this year, he currently has only two less goals than Jagr (12-10) and it was only one less until Jagr potted one today in 'no one cares time' in the last period when his team was down by six goals. Jagr does have more assists, not a ton more, but more, but given who he plays with that is to be expected. And yeah Jagr did play 9 less games than Sullivan, but that also was expected and I expect him to miss more this season, and certainly was a factor in deciding between these two. You can not score from the press box.

All in all for less than half the cost, Sullivan was the wiser investment, if he was not the name player or story line Jagr was and is. Hell, at this point Jagr looks like he will end up pretty medocre in the total points and goals when all is said and done, maybe bottom half among forwards.. With over half the year gone, I do not see how people could look back and complain.

And this chump change pick up of his former linemate is looking, albeit for one game, pretty good as well. O'Reilly seems to have some wheels from the very little of the game that I caught and there is some chemistry there.
Uh, Jaded, the hand wringing over Sullivan was that he'd had no business being a top six guy playing 17-18 minutes and was a poor complement for Geno and Neal. While people like me were writing that, we also were writing that Sullivan would be best used in a more limited role with two grinders/speed guys where his play making would be an asset and he wouldn't be asked to win a lot of board battles or face top defenders.

With everyone healthy, Sullivan's best spot, IMO, is fourth line LW, playing maybe 12 minutes between ES and PP. And, before you **** on that idea, remember that the Pens cup winning team had Dupuis on the fourth line.

Old
02-04-2012, 03:48 PM
KIRK

Quote:
A little soft, but I didn't see him getting manhandled physically or looking out of sorts defensively.

Old
02-05-2012, 01:52 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

It is just one game..... but with a little more coordination time, the 'Irish' line would have had several good scoring opportunities, and they hustled their ***** of.

If - rather big if - the old Nashville connection works out even better going forward, that is a pretty interesting buzz line that could give us some extra scoring against other teams bottom6.

...and lets remember also, that one of the knocks on O'Reilly is that he doesn't battle hard enough consistently.... first game with his new team doesn't necessarily say that he is as amped every time. But we can hope. Seemed rather handsy and Letestu'ish winning faceoffs also.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 02:39 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
He didn't shy away from traffic areas and this was his 1st game, I expected jitters and saw it, but I also saw a lot of good things, the good out weighed the bad yesterday afternoon.

We'll see how he does after a few games.

If Chris Bourque got 20 games, O'Reilly deserves his fair shake.

Old
02-05-2012, 02:41 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
It is just one game..... but with a little more coordination time, the 'Irish' line would have had several good scoring opportunities, and they hustled their ***** of.

If - rather big if - the old Nashville connection works out even better going forward, that is a pretty interesting buzz line that could give us some extra scoring against other teams bottom6.

...and lets remember also, that one of the knocks on O'Reilly is that he doesn't battle hard enough consistently.... first game with his new team doesn't necessarily say that he is as amped every time. But we can hope. Seemed rather handsy and Letestu'ish winning faceoffs also.
Sometimes, all you need is the right opportunity and it seems like Pittsburgh could be it, you know?

He's been on 3 teams this season already, he's trying to earn a spot, he knows he has a lot of room for improvement and being around a team like this, it SHOULD give him the kick in the pants he needs. If he can't, then well...best of luck to him when he's back on waivers.

So far though, he looked good in his 1st game. I won't write him off after 2-3 games either, I would like to see how he has done after around 8-10 games.

Old
02-05-2012, 07:43 AM
Jacques G
Glassic

I can't help but think that Shero already knew he was going to make this acquisition back when he signed Sullivan.

Old
02-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

If they actually score some points, I shall dub them.... The Shamrock Line.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
He didn't shy away from traffic areas and this was his 1st game, I expected jitters and saw it, but I also saw a lot of good things, the good out weighed the bad yesterday afternoon.

We'll see how he does after a few games.

If Chris Bourque got 20 games, O'Reilly deserves his fair shake.
I suspect he has until Staal comes back to prove he deserves a spot over Park or Adams.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:43 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I suspect he has until Staal comes back to prove he deserves a spot over Park or Adams.
I don't think it should be too hard to prove he deserves a spot over Adams. We just signed his replacement in Vitale, and Park is just as good on the PK while providing more offense and he's a RH center.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:45 AM
SteelFish87*

irish line looked great yesterday

i give them A-

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I don't think it should be too hard to prove he deserves a spot over Adams. We just signed his replacement in Vitale, and Park is just as good on the PK while providing more offense and he's a RH center.
I agree. I was an Adams supporter before but he really is invisible at this point.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:43 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
the irish line eh?

Súilleabháin - Ó Raghallaigh - Cinnédidh

of special note, Kennedy is derived from ceann and éidigh meaning "ugly head."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiChi Vitale View Post
If they actually score some points, I shall dub them.... The Shamrock Line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
irish line looked great yesterday

i give them A-
Looks like everyone is liking the possibility of a line with a built in nickname theme

My favorite so far though is 'O'Buzz Line' from Ogrezilla in the game day thread.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Looks like everyone is liking the possibility of a line with a built in nickname theme

My favorite so far though is 'O'Buzz Line' from Ogrezilla in the game day thread.
thank you thank you

I like it because its so simple and dumb. But it also has ROOTS with the team

I need to stop that didn't even make sense

Old
02-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

I'm going with the "Drunken Potato-Eating ********".

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:02 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
thank you thank you

I like it because its so simple and dumb. But it also has ROOTS with the team

I need to stop that didn't even make sense
It's too clever for Steigy to come up with though, lord knows what he'll come up with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I'm going with the "Drunken Potato-Eating ********".
I was going to suggest something Family-Friendly like The Lucky Charms line but your suggestion is good too