HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Mitch For Real?

Old
02-04-2012, 07:44 PM
darko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRangers View Post
Soild third liner, but probably not going to be a top 6 guy.

Solid 4th liner. Not a bad guy to have around.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 04:58 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Hes ok,for what he is..He also is easily replaceable and def wouldnt be missed if moved or sent down.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 05:18 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Filling the role asked of him well & I do not expect more. Good value for 7th rounder and small caphit. Can see him, like Eminger last year, getting a one year deal slightly under $1M for next year. He could also possibly be part of a deadline package deal...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 07:54 AM
eco's bones

A guy Mitchell reminds me of is Brian Noonan. He's a prototypical bottom 6 jack of all trades. He's defensively reliable. He has the size and strength to work and grind along the boards and in the corners and is not afraid to do so. He can keep up at an NHL pace and has nice hands and a decent shot. He fits as a Tortorella type of player.

He's not all that creative. He definitely lacks Avery's brashness and sheer entertainment value. He's not going to agitate the **** out of the opposition. He's a different player than Avery but he's done fine for us. EC was a floater, not as responsible defensively--not nearly as good along the boards. I have no problem with a 4th liner with 11 points in 31 games. That projects to almost 30 over a full NHL season. A 4th liner doing that without being a detriment in other areas is a good player to have.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 08:24 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
What are you saying here? You want a team full of John Mitchells? Would much rather have Avery over him.Im not an Avery fanboy either,just anyone over Mitchell..
I like Avery too but right about now I would sit AA for a few games first, he has done nothing for weeks, and insert Avery with Rupp and Mitch, but that ain't happening...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 08:33 AM
alkurtz

Every elite team has both stars and role players.

Mitchell is a perfect role player on this team: works hard, defensively responsible, strong along the boards, and seems to be a positive influence in the clubhouse.

His skills are only 4th line, but he can slot up and play 3rd line if necessary.

He is an essential "piece" on our team.

Frankly, those of your who rather have MZA are missing the boat altogether. MZA cannot play a 3rd-4th line role. He has to play on the top 6 in order to maximize his skills (I am a member of the camp who does not think he can play in that role for the Rangers because his skating and size negates his creativity).

You couldn't put MZA out there late in the game to forecheck and control the puck along the boards. You can do that with Mitchell.

Mitchell has earned his spot on this team. He will never be more than he is, but what he is and brings to the table is vital and necessary.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:03 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I was happy when we acquired Mitchell. I know most people didn't care, but I saw a guy that fit the mold of the team very well.

He's not an integral part of the success and is no more than an extra forward in the future, but right now I'm glad to have him.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:27 AM
NYR Viper

John Mitchell is Fedotenko's replacement moving forward. He plays an identical style to Ruslan. Great board-work. Big Body. Hard to play against.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
What little things? I wasn't sure that cherry was on top of anything else. I wouldn't expect to see him here next season.
Agree with this.

He's a fringe 4th liner. Scored a couple soft goals that the goalie should have stopped.

I don't expect to see him come playoff time or next season.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I was happy when we acquired Mitchell. I know most people didn't care, but I saw a guy that fit the mold of the team very well.

He's not an integral part of the success and is no more than an extra forward in the future, but right now I'm glad to have him.
Every team needs role players...ex. Brian Noonan, Craig MacTavish, Stephane Matteau, Doug Lidster, not everybody is a star player...

Old
02-05-2012, 11:06 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Wow did you just insult Brian Noonan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
A guy Mitchell reminds me of is Brian Noonan. He's a prototypical bottom 6 jack of all trades. He's defensively reliable. He has the size and strength to work and grind along the boards and in the corners and is not afraid to do so. He can keep up at an NHL pace and has nice hands and a decent shot. He fits as a Tortorella type of player.

He's not all that creative. He definitely lacks Avery's brashness and sheer entertainment value. He's not going to agitate the **** out of the opposition. He's a different player than Avery but he's done fine for us. EC was a floater, not as responsible defensively--not nearly as good along the boards. I have no problem with a 4th liner with 11 points in 31 games. That projects to almost 30 over a full NHL season. A 4th liner doing that without being a detriment in other areas is a good player to have.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:07 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
Every team needs role players...ex. Brian Noonan, Craig MacTavish, Stephane Matteau, Doug Lidster, not everybody is a star player...
Exactly. Having Mitchell playing on the 4th line is the least of the Rangers concerns. He isnt hurting this team at all.

JoeRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRangers View Post
Exactly. Having Mitchell playing on the 4th line is the least of the Rangers concerns. He isnt hurting this team at all.
Fits Torts system perfectly...when he and Hags came up the dynamic of this team changed for the better

Old
02-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
Fits Torts system perfectly...when he and Hags came up the dynamic of this team changed for the better
No offense to what your saying here, but i believe the dynamics of this team was already in tact before either player came up. Now if you want to say the team played better with them in then fine, BUT i would credit MOST of that success to Hagelin and not Mitch.

I like Mitch as a decent 4th line/fringe nhl nothing more now or in the future. He would be the first player i would replace on this team. Other than that he has been very solid for us and im glad to have him as a Ranger.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 08:35 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Agreed, but he is not nearly as physical as Noonan was. I do not mind him, but keep wanting to see more from someone who has his size. He seems completely unwilling or unable to use his size.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote