HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In Praise Of Wilson

Old
02-05-2012, 11:37 AM
GrizzLeaf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
No, no if Lemaire had Toskala and Stajan he would have won cups, CUPS I tell ya!
Hehehhe

I think Wilson's taken so much heat for so long, posters are just going on momentum when they see his name in a thread and go there to post.

GrizzLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:37 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
which Lemaire never did with the Wild so your point is invalid.
Year after year he took a team that didn't look good and made them contenders for a playoff spot. No matter where he has gone or who he has had, he has almost always had a top 10 ranked PK. Does that suggest fluke to you? Have you guys been following hockey for even a decade?

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:38 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
You seem to be making big leaps in your logic here. Once again, nobody expected Wilson to come in and win a cup right away, they simply wanted to compete. You're saying it's all talent related, but we can all come up with examples of less or similarly talented teams doing much more than the Leafs under Wilson, even if it was just for a season or two.

No I said talent and coaching matters. Please no lectures on logic, my head might explode.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:38 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
which Lemaire never did with the Wild so your point is invalid.
I was pretty impressed with the results he got from the 02-03 Wild

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...023312003.html

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Darcy Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Andropov-Moore-Grabo-Stajan are not the worst combination of centers in the league,
how long were they all playing here together? 1 season? and it is a stretch of a statement to begin with given Grabo hadnt blossomed yet. their wingers were also all terrible , except for Steen and possibly 1 or 2 others.

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:39 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
No, you brought up Lemaire, and you didn't SPECIFY team. Try to keep up with your meandering attempt to save face
Apparently I gave your intellect more credit than I should have. My bad.

Old
02-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Darcy Tucker

Quote:
I was pretty impressed with the results he got from the 02-03 Wild

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...023312003.html
cool.

Wilson has never had good seasons before coming to the Leafs, I am convinced. Fire Bourke.

look at Rolosons numbers. 2.00 GAA .927. Fernandez was good that year too. They had Gaborik and a ton of vets to support him with. How is that team comparable to any Wilson had prior to last season ? Also they were 42-29-11, not exactly world beaters.

Old
02-05-2012, 11:42 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLeaf View Post
Hehehhe

I think Wilson's taken so much heat for so long, posters are just going on momentum when they see his name in a thread and go there to post.

Best hockey we've seen in years, we actually dominate teams with our style many nights, and still it's the same old tired lines. I live in a world where you update your opinions, not cling to something you've been saying for two years now, despite CHANGING fortunes. Give the guy SOME credit, afterall, it was ALL his fault when we stunk, remember?

Old
02-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Interactif

Quote:
how long were they all playing here together? 1 season? and it is a stretch of a statement to begin with given Grabo hadnt blossomed yet. their wingers were also all terrible , except for Steen and possibly 1 or 2 others.
Still when you see how good Moore has been since he left Toronto, Andropov is Winnipeg's/Atlanta's #1C, Stajan who was playing well that season, and Grabo who yes was a rookie but he was 25 at the time, which is older than Kessel is presently. It was not a bad Center core. Just look at John Mitchell in NY, Leafs couldn't wait to get rid of him, but Torts has got him in the lineup and they are in 1st. He wouldn't have made that Center core if he was on that team, working with what you have is a strength of coaching.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:43 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 1323
So the people who are defendinding Wilson are saying coaching has no bearing on how a team plays and it's just about talent ?

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:45 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
So the people who are defendinding Wilson are saying coaching has no bearing on how a team plays and it's just about talent ?
I bet last year's New Jersey Devils results would throw them for a loop!

Old
Darcy Tucker

Quote:
thats one way to skew things.

Old
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Apparently I gave your intellect more credit than I should have. My bad.
It's okay, I always look at the source anyways Bring some game next time.

Old
02-05-2012, 11:46 AM
donkeyy0

Quote:
Thank you.

And please let us know ANY Leafs team that has succeeded WITHOUT that type of goaltending. Just one?
Let me list out Felix Potvin's SV%s as a Leaf to you. .910, .907, .907, .910, .908, .906.

Not awful, not great definitely not the .850 that we grew to expect from Razor and Toskalol, but he wasn't blowing people out of the water with those numbers.

donkeyy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:46 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
If you have an IQ of 48 perhaps yes.

Old
02-05-2012, 11:47 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
cool.

Wilson has never had good seasons before coming to the Leafs, I am convinced. Fire Bourke.

look at Rolosons numbers. 2.00 GAA .927. Fernandez was good that year too. They had Gaborik and a ton of vets to support him with. How is that team comparable to any Wilson had prior to last season ? Also they were 42-29-11, not exactly world beaters.
Pretty much what I expected. Make a silly comment, have it proven wrong, then make a sarcastic remark to try and save face.

You claimed that Lemaire never did anything with that Wild team. He did.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyy0 View Post
Let me list out Felix Potvin's SV%s as a Leaf to you. .910, .907, .907, .910, .908, .906.

Not awful, not great definitely not the .850 that we grew to expect from Razor and Toskalol, but he wasn't blowing people out of the water with those numbers.
Save percentages weren't as high in general back then professor. Come on. Patrick Roy has a .910 save percentage. Ed Belfour had a lower save percentage average in those years.

Old
eyeball11

Quote:
It's okay, I always look at the source anyways Bring some game next time.
You bring the some modicum of intellect, I'll bring some game. Deal.

Old
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Still when you see how good Moore has been since he left Toronto, Andropov is Winnipeg's/Atlanta's #1C, Stajan who was playing well that season, and Grabo who yes was a rookie but he was 25 at the time, which is older than Kessel is presently. It was not a bad Center core. Just look at John Mitchell in NY, Leafs couldn't wait to get rid of him, but Torts has got him in the lineup and they are in 1st.
John Mitchell is a fine example of a player who was given every chance to succed in Toronto. Good for him that it is finally working out.

I don't think that the worst Leaf hater would tell you that that group of centreman is good but yet we see it here.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:48 AM
donkeyy0

Quote:
Still when you see how good Moore has been since he left Toronto, Andropov is Winnipeg's/Atlanta's #1C, Stajan who was playing well that season, and Grabo who yes was a rookie but he was 25 at the time, which is older than Kessel is presently. It was not a bad Center core. Just look at John Mitchell in NY, Leafs couldn't wait to get rid of him, but Torts has got him in the lineup and they are in 1st. He wouldn't have made that Center core if he was on that team, working with what you have is a strength of coaching.
This. This this and more of this.

Torts is a good coach. Johnny Malkin is actually contributing for the best team in the league right now. He found a way to fit him in.

donkeyy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dayjobdave

The posters who kept going on about how we have to play the trap in order to cut our goals against have been pretty quiet recently...

Two well known facts are that coaching doesn't matter unless you're losing, and junior stats do not matter unless they are bad.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Darcy Tucker

Quote:
Pretty much what I expected. Make a silly comment, have it proven wrong, then make a sarcastic remark to try and save face.

You claimed that Lemaire never did anything with that Wild team. He did.
I claimed he never had playoff success with them. thanks for posting 1 season where he had a decent record and trying to make a point.

also I discussed why that specific team you posted was good that year. so this post is pretty much ignoring the facts.

Old
02-05-2012, 11:50 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 1323
Quote:
thats one way to skew things.
How am i skewing things . You and others keep saying it's all about the talent . If it's all about the talent then your opinion coaching doesn't matter .

Good coach's get more out of their teams than the talent they have .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Boom King

Good on Wilson and the rest of his staff as well as the players thus far. Finish line is still playoffs so for me, that will be Wilson's ultimate performance grading criteria. If anything, the improved PK means no more excuses.

Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
How am i skewing things . You and others keep saying it's all about the talent . If it's all about the talent then your opinion coaching doesn't matter .

Good coach's get more out of their teams than the talent they have .
Just because talent is the most important element in success doesn't mean other elements aren't important.

Expand your mind.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote