HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#53, 2/4/12, Kings @ Hurricanes 1-2L Postgame THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
02-05-2012, 12:32 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
we aren't even close to the 29 team in scoring LOL, how are we above .500?
We arn't. Yes we get points for OTL's but we have technically lost three more games than we have won. Over time losses are still losses. Because OTL's are a separate category teams records look better. Hell, having OTL's and losses as a different category means that there are only 7 current teams with sub .500 records, it's a joke. We are currently a losing team

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:47 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Kopitar is the closest thing in this league to Malkin. Guys just bounce off Kopitar, his possession ability is unreal. He is a legit first line C. Get him some wings to play with and he could do some damage.
Not really. Malkin is more pure of a goal scorer. A lot more offensive.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 05:12 AM
stonedhenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Not really. Malkin is more pure of a goal scorer. A lot more offensive.
I wonder what kind of player Malkin would be today, if he had been developed under Terry Murray and his system. Murray definately helped Kopitar to be better on D, but he made him worse offensive player. Just look at some highlights from his rookie season and moves he made then. Man just look at his first NHL goal. Could he blow by defender (like Pronger then) and make that finish today? No he can't anymore. Now he is slower, his hands are worse, so he stops at the boards and waits for his wingers. I think even he realizes he regressed at offensive skills, so he is less confident (he holds himself at the boards) Well his wingers aren't helping him either.

stonedhenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 05:16 AM
BD33

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedhenge View Post
I wonder what kind of player Malkin would be today, if he had been developed under Terry Murray and his system. Murray definately helped Kopitar to be better on D, but he made him worse offensive player. Just look at some highlights from his rookie season and moves he made then. Man just look at his first NHL goal. Could he blow by defender (like Pronger then) and make that finish today? No he can't anymore. Now he is slower, his hands are worse, so he stops at the boards and waits for his wingers. I think even he realizes he regressed at offensive skills, so he is less confident (he holds himself at the boards) Well his wingers aren't helping him either.
I agree I often wonder how good Kopi could really be on a team that doesn't completely stifle offensive creativity. I don't know if he'd really be as talented as Malkin, but they are of a similar mold I think.

BD33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 05:35 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedhenge View Post
You also have to take into account, the amount of times opposing teams focus on shutting him down.

Back as a rookie, no one had much video on him, no one knew how explosive he could be, now, he is the one being gameplanned around, it's a much much different game for him now than it was when he first started in the league.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 08:04 AM
backhander

thought the kings had a better effort last night than in st. louis, but one more obviously would have helped. there was moments where the kings looked like they were taking over....again no goals. how can the team get pucks closer to the net and crash....everything seems to be from the outside. if they lose the tampa bay game...that's going to hurt. the win against carolina would of helped too with san jose losing.

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 08:34 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

The vast majority of the posts in this thread are shameful and embarrassing.

People whining on about the team and then expecting the team to be better. YOU SUCK, there, now go do a great job. Is that how your parents raised you? YOU SUCK now go try again.... I know that isn't true.

Being frustrated is one thing and if you are looking for allot of offencive production then this team will have you in knots but if you are looking at our chances of making the playoffs since DS took over and can't see that we are gradually improving under his watch and still are so frustrated that you can't take it, then don't.

The Ducks are a better scoring team, they might make you less frustrated.

I know we are all Kings fans and I don't like it when we lose close games either but saying that we should trade everyone but Quick is knee jerk reactionary pablum at best in my opinion.

When the going gets tough you keep on buckling down. Do we need a sniper? Yep. Do we need to develop our PP? Yep. Would I fire Kompon? Yep. Would I have brought in an entirely new coaching staff if I were DS? Yep. Is DL possibly losing his job by sticking to his chosen D above all else path? I think he could be.
Does that mean that I think we should deal away players like Doughty, Kopitar, etc? Nope.

Like I said, frustration is easy to get, it happens all the time but what makes you better is how you react to challenging situations in life.

I just thank god that the vast majority of people who post here will never GM the Kings, me included.

I have been around here for a pretty long time and I know (or knew) most of the people who post here and know for a fact that most of us are allot better then what gets posted here after each and every single loss.

Will we win the cup this year? I am not sold that we are a favorite but I would like our chances if the playoffs started today.

We need help and work but we are better than allot of teams and seem to rise to the occasion when we face the best in the league.

Oh well, it could be better but it isn't as bad as allot of the people who post here now whine about.

Last edited by etherialone: 02-05-2012 at 08:41 AM.
etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 08:41 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
So when do the excuses stop? It's getting to a point where it doesn't matter how hard guys like Lewis work there is no results. Until there are changes made excuses will continue like back to back games or the other team is great defensively or ram into a hot goalie blah blah blah. Worst scoring team in the league and no signs of improvement.

But ok let's give the lack of offense a pass because they are tired.
Whats our record under DS again?

No excuses necessary.

Do we need to be better offencively? Yes. Did I say that we didn't? Nope.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:37 AM
TopT

There is nobody on the Kings that is a legit first line winger and I blame Lombardi for that and his dumb drafting. I mean how many defencemen do you need in the minors.

Our team is more like this

xxxxx - Kopi - xxxxx
Brown - Richards - Williams

And I am not even sure that Brown is a legit 2nd line winger, more of a great 3rd liner
I am really thinking hard on which team in the NHL any of our wingers would play on the 1st line

TopT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Trade Kopi, wtf are you thinking people?

You should go to the box and feel some shame.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopT View Post
There is nobody on the Kings that is a legit first line winger and I blame Lombardi for that and his dumb drafting. I mean how many defencemen do you need in the minors.

Our team is more like this

xxxxx - Kopi - xxxxx
Brown - Richards - Williams

And I am not even sure that Brown is a legit 2nd line winger, more of a great 3rd liner
I am really thinking hard on which team in the NHL any of our wingers would play on the 1st line
agreed

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:11 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post

People whining on about the team and then expecting the team to be better. YOU SUCK, there, now go do a great job. Is that how your parents raised you? YOU SUCK now go try again.... I know that isn't true.

Being frustrated is one thing and if you are looking for allot of offencive production then this team will have you in knots but if you are looking at our chances of making the playoffs since DS took over and can't see that we are gradually improving under his watch and still are so frustrated that you can't take it, then don't.

The Ducks are a better scoring team, they might make you less frustrated.

I know we are all Kings fans and I don't like it when we lose close games either but saying that we should trade everyone but Quick is knee jerk reactionary pablum at best in my opinion.

When the going gets tough you keep on buckling down. Do we need a sniper? Yep. Do we need to develop our PP? Yep. Would I fire Kompon? Yep. Would I have brought in an entirely new coaching staff if I were DS? Yep. Is DL possibly losing his job by sticking to his chosen D above all else path? I think he could be.
Does that mean that I think we should deal away players like Doughty, Kopitar, etc? Nope.

Like I said, frustration is easy to get, it happens all the time but what makes you better is how you react to challenging situations in life.

I just thank god that the vast majority of people who post here will never GM the Kings, me included.

I have been around here for a pretty long time and I know (or knew) most of the people who post here and know for a fact that most of us are allot better then what gets posted here after each and every single loss.

Will we win the cup this year? I am not sold that we are a favorite but I would like our chances if the playoffs started today.

We need help and work but we are better than allot of teams and seem to rise to the occasion when we face the best in the league.

Oh well, it could be better but it isn't as bad as allot of the people who post here now whine about.
Thank you.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
You also have to take into account, the amount of times opposing teams focus on shutting him down.

Back as a rookie, no one had much video on him, no one knew how explosive he could be, now, he is the one being gameplanned around, it's a much much different game for him now than it was when he first started in the league.
this is so true.

you have to imagine before the game, opposition coaches are saying to their team to look out for #11 when he is on the ice, you shut him down you shut the kings down, so keep a man on him at all times

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:42 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Where was the captain in this game? Another Houdini effort while he sits quietly on the bench? 2 shots on goal in the last 4 games? 0 points and a minus 2 in the last 4? This is the captain? Where is the leadership, where is the inspiration, who would want to follow this guy into battle?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Where was the captain in this game? Another Houdini effort while he sits quietly on the bench? 2 shots on goal in the last 4 games? 0 points and a minus 2 in the last 4? This is the captain? Where is the leadership, where is the inspiration, who would want to follow this guy into battle?
Come on Tik where were you when he was leading the way? Everyone goes through slumps. Also it's not like anyone else is stepping up to lead by example.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:

You had me at "Is that how your parents raised you?"

Hey, I don't have the desire, skill, nor the time to be a parent to the Kings. Curious analogy though.

Quote:
Will we win the cup this year?
I can answer this for you right now.

Quote:
I am not sold that we are a favorite but I would like our chances if the playoffs started today.
So.. what you're saying is that we could POSSIBLY be a favorite in the future?!?!

You would like our chances if the playoffs started today? Of beating the #2 seed? really?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:10 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
No one -- I repeat -- NO ONE said "we should trade everyone but Quick".

What was said was "Quick is the only _untouchable_ player". That doesn't mean that the rest of the roster should be out the door yesterday, but that the armchair GMs would ENTERTAIN trade discussions that involved any other player on the team... that is LIGHTYEARS away from calling for them all to be gone. If you don't understand the difference and nuance, then maybe that's why you are so annoyed at the other posters on the board -- because apparently to you, there's no territory at all between "we're doing fine" and "we suck and should just go root for another team".

Just because the political parties are doing everything to remove any understanding of nuance from the current public discussion doesn't mean we have to allow the elimination of nuance from discussions about the team we root for. #imjustsayin

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:11 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
You had me at "Is that how your parents raised you?"

Hey, I don't have the desire, skill, nor the time to be a parent to the Kings. Curious analogy though.

I can answer this for you right now.

So.. what you're saying is that we could POSSIBLY be a favorite in the future?!?!

You would like our chances if the playoffs started today? Of beating the #2 seed? really?
Yes,

People on this board have a bad habit of VASTLY underestimating what it takes to win in the playoffs.....

Anyone who thinks it's remotely the same as regular season.....not sure what I can tell you...

Old
02-05-2012, 12:17 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:

The sad thing about this year is that I no longer get frustrated. I simply get bored. Every game day, I'm excited about watching and I really look forward to it--until the game starts. And then I see the same robotic, uninspired, emotionless play and I just feel myself shutting down. I NEVER used to do anything but watch while the game was on. I wouldn't miss a second, my focus would be complete. I could feel my muscles twitching as I strained along with the players, trying to win that battle in the corner or to get that breeakout pass.

And yet, this whole season, I find my mind wandering while I watch, I'm using my laptop, I'm in the other room doing whatever and just checking the score occasionally. It just all seems so pointless. Even when the Kings play well, I have a hard time getting excited because I know that in a game or two they'll be back to the live-action sleeping pill style. It just no longer seems worth the time to watch.

I don't know what the point of this post is. I'm not saying that I hate the team or that everyone should stop watching. I just needed to vent to people who care. Are they improving under Sutter? Maybe. Will they make the playoffs? My instinct is "barely, if at all"; I think people who like our chances in the playoffs are delusional because however good the defense is, this team is short on EMOTION. The old cliche is that defense wins championships, but I don't believe that. I think it's that emotion wins championships. It seems like defense is really important because that's the one way that a team short on skill but long on emotion can compete. Sadly, this team does not have the foundation of emotion and intensity needed.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
The sad thing about this year is that I no longer get frustrated. I simply get bored. Every game day, I'm excited about watching and I really look forward to it--until the game starts. And then I see the same robotic, uninspired, emotionless play and I just feel myself shutting down. I NEVER used to do anything but watch while the game was on. I wouldn't miss a second, my focus would be complete. I could feel my muscles twitching as I strained along with the players, trying to win that battle in the corner or to get that breeakout pass.

And yet, this whole season, I find my mind wandering while I watch, I'm using my laptop, I'm in the other room doing whatever and just checking the score occasionally. It just all seems so pointless. Even when the Kings play well, I have a hard time getting excited because I know that in a game or two they'll be back to the live-action sleeping pill style. It just no longer seems worth the time to watch.

I don't know what the point of this post is. I'm not saying that I hate the team or that everyone should stop watching. I just needed to vent to people who care. Are they improving under Sutter? Maybe. Will they make the playoffs? My instinct is "barely, if at all"; I think people who like our chances in the playoffs are delusional because however good the defense is, this team is short on EMOTION. The old cliche is that defense wins championships, but I don't believe that. I think it's that emotion wins championships. It seems like defense is really important because that's the one way that a team short on skill but long on emotion can compete. Sadly, this team does not have the foundation of emotion and intensity needed.
With you, I am. I go through the exact same motions during the game these days, it feels awful.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post

People on this board have a bad habit of VASTLY underestimating what it takes to win in the playoffs.....

Anyone who thinks it's remotely the same as regular season.....not sure what I can tell you...
Oh, are you gonna say something like the Kings will up their game and play better? (like they did the last 2 years for 2 or 3 games per series)

pssst: the opposing team ALSO ups their game in the playoffs.
If you can't score in the season, what make you think you'll start scoring in the POs?

(and I'm sure you remember last seasons late collapse - if the season had gone another week or 2, the Kings would have likely missed the POs)

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:25 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Oh, are you gonna say something like the Kings will up their game and play better? (like they did the last 2 years for 2 or 3 games per series)

pssst: the opposing team ALSO ups their game in the playoffs.
If you can't score in the season, what make you think you'll start scoring in the POs?

(and I'm sure you remember last seasons late collapse - if the season had gone another week or 2, the Kings would have likely missed the POs)
So, the Kings can't score in the playoffs, yet, what did they do against SJ, they averaged 4 goals a game or something like that?

Good to know...

Like I said, most people on here VASTLY underestimate what it takes to win in the playoffs...

Old
02-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Dave33
Still smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
With you, I am. I go through the exact same motions during the game these days, it feels awful.
Same here. On the bright side I'm saving a lot of money by not going to games.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
No one -- I repeat -- NO ONE said "we should trade everyone but Quick".

What was said was "Quick is the only _untouchable_ player".
I see absolutely no reason that Quick would be more untouchable than some of the other players. People who say that Quick is the only untouchable in the team don't really understand how the market works, what exactly you can get on market in each position. Either say that nobody is untouchable or don't talk about trading our core at all.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:28 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
I see absolutely no reason that Quick would be more untouchable than some of the other players. People who say that Quick is the only untouchable in the team don't really understand how the market works, what exactly you can get on market in each position. Either say that nobody is untouchable or don't talk about trading our core at all.
Now that is a discussion that is perfectly rational to have -- countering viewpoints with support, etc. Reasonable people can disagree there.

But what I was pointing out was Tonellisghost's distortion of the position of another poster, and going on to argue against the straw man, instead of the actual position.

Last edited by TonySCV: 02-05-2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: no politics
HansH is offline   Reply With Quote