HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In Praise Of Wilson

Old
02-05-2012, 12:09 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
what a revelation. write a book about your findings, sir. I will buy it.
Do you actually have any point .

Also , do yourself a favour and stop knocking Lemaire . He's a tremendous coach and head and shoulders above Ronnie .

hotpaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Suntouchable13

vCash: 500
I am really impressed by the discipline this team has shown. That is definitely on the coach. Shows you that this team still listens to him. I wanted to see some improvement and I am seeing it.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Darcy Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post

Also , do yourself a favour and stop knocking Lemaire . He's a tremendous coach and head and shoulders above Ronnie .
do you have a point besides stating the obvious?

how am I knocking Lemaire? he is the best trap coach in history. I just poined out he only had playoff success when he had Brodeur, Nieds and Stevens. it takes those caliber of players to have success with that system. In this day and age any mid level talented team cant just trap their way to cups. How is this disputable. Did the Wild ever do anything in the playoffs? Phoenix? Nashville?

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:14 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
If your going to to give credit to Wilson for the players that develop , do you also blame him for the ones that don't .

It not easy to evaluate a coach's performance . You have to go beyond simply looking at the teams record or any individual stats .

I believe Wilson is a decent coach , nothing more .
There are players that have had progression in their games in addition to Grabovski, I'm not going to blame him for Versteeg when he is an outlier and not a member of a group who didn't get better.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:15 PM
donkeyy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
I am really impressed by the discipline this team has shown. That is definitely on the coach. Shows you that this team still listens to him. I wanted to see some improvement and I am seeing it.
I agree with this. I just don't think a few weeks of it is enough for people to praise Ronnie. To be honest I'm surprised that there has been any forward progress with this team, and that's terrible.

Hopefully he keeps proving me wrong, but a few good games after Jan 1st doesn't shouldn't suddenly make one forget what a terrible job he did leading up to this year.

Either way, he's here. He's doing his job well. Let's hope NOTHING CHANGES.

donkeyy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Interactif
Realism ** Optimism

All said, I am encouraged by what I see from the Leafs of late, I didn't think it was possible for Wilson to adjust the run and gun to protecting the lead, but we have played sound defensively the last 2 games that I am encouraged. But saying that we did blow a big lead recently also so let's not jump to conclusions until the year is over.

Whatever it is the results are there right now with the PK and most imporant Wins/losses, I am still sceptical Wilson can get us to the Holy Grail one day. But I also want to be fair, I said all along if Wilson gets us into the playoffs and we put up a good fight in the 1st rd, I would welcome him back. He has the extension so that would seem the prudent thing to do.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
topched

Quote:

LOL relax for a minute. Take a deep breath.

I don't know if I would call lemaire "tremendous" or "head and shoulders above RW"

Wilson's got more wins. Sure Lemaire's got a SC but that was practically 2 decades ago.

Why is he great, because he managed to implement a trap system and make the playoffs consistently with the Wild?

There are arguments for Lemaire being a better coach, but he's far from a shoe-in.

topched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
There are players that have had progression in their games in addition to Grabovski, I'm not going to blame him for Versteeg when he is an outlier and not a member of a group who didn't get better.
Versteeg is talented but when he stated in that article that he had to play with AHL'ers here in Toronto I wanted to drive down to the MasterCard Center and slam the door again in a symbolic gesture of it not hitting him on the way out.

I can't wait until he goes into a corner with Boyce.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:21 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayjobdave View Post
Versteeg is talented but when he stated in that article that he had to play with AHL'ers here in Toronto I wanted to drive down to the MasterCard Center and slam the door again in a symbolic gesture of it not hitting him on the way out.

I can't wait until he goes into a corner with Boyce.
Versteeg ended up playing with AHLers because he wasn't producing higher in the lineup. Maybe he thinks that we didn't watch the games.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:23 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
LOL relax for a minute. Take a deep breath.

I don't know if I would call lemaire "tremendous" or "head and shoulders above RW"

Wilson's got more wins. Sure Lemaire's got a SC but that was practically 2 decades ago.

Why is he great, because he managed to implement a trap system and make the playoffs consistently with the Wild?

There are arguments for Lemaire being a better coach, but he's far from a shoe-in.
If you and others think RW is even comparable to Lemaire you should go to the main board and conduct a poll .

Old
02-05-2012, 12:24 PM
topched

Quote:
Versteeg ended up playing with AHLers because he wasn't producing higher in the lineup. Maybe he thinks that we didn't watch the games.
Agreed. The guy started off the season with Bozak and Kessel, and couldn't mesh... even though he was given ample opportunity.

Dude was and is still a plug, he's got an attitude about him that I think might rub some folks the wrong way.

At the end of the day, Chicago was comfortable moving him, Toronto was comfortable moving him, and Philly was as well.

Any guy who played for 4 different teams in under 2 years should probably be watching what he says before he becomes a suitcase.

Old
02-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Darcy Tucker

Quote:
If you and others think RW is even comparable to Lemaire you should go to the main board and conduct a poll .
or we could subscribe to your newsletter and get informed

Old
02-05-2012, 12:25 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Steeg din't work well with PK and our 2nd line was great last year , thats why he was bumped down .

Old
02-05-2012, 12:26 PM
topched

Quote:
What are you even arguing?

Lemaire is retired... he's not coaching again.

Its like trying to tell me that Scotty Bowman is a better coach than RW so we should go hire him.

While we're at it I'm gonna argue that Sundin is better than Bozak and that we should get Salming out of retirement to QB our power play.

Old
02-05-2012, 12:29 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
or we could subscribe to your newsletter and get informed
Instead of posting sarcastic one liners you should take your opinion to the main boards and see how others feel about your views .

To be honest i don't think you give a damn about RW , you're are just supporting Burkes decision to keep him as our coach .

Old
02-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Darcy Tucker

Quote:
Instead of posting sarcastic one liners you should take your opinion to the main boards and see how others feel about your views .

To be honest i don't think you give a damn about RW , you're are just supporting Burkes decision to keep him as our coach .
Ive always respected and supported both. Even before they got to Toronto. Any Wilson thread on this board is full of me and my sarcastic one liners.

Old
02-05-2012, 12:34 PM
topched

Quote:

I didn't know the "main boards" were full of such intelligent, bright minded people.

Maybe if they're so much "smarter" over on the main boards you should take YOUR views over there and give us a rest from you're knowledge and wisdom. Our brains can't handle all that information overload you know... after all we're not the "main boards" we're just the "leafs board".

Old
02-05-2012, 12:35 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
What are you even arguing?

Lemaire is retired... he's not coaching again.

Its like trying to tell me that Scotty Bowman is a better coach than RW so we should go hire him.

While we're at it I'm gonna argue that Sundin is better than Bozak and that we should get Salming out of retirement to QB our power play.
WTF are you talking about now ?

What the **** does it matter whether he may be retired or not . You and others are saying that Wilson is comparable to Lemaire as a coach .

I and others are trying to explain that a a good coach can make a team perform better than the talent they have and someone brought up Lemaire as an example .

Old
02-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
I agree.

My point is, it's ok (ish) for us Internet people to refer to them as AHL'ers. For Versteeg to do so is such a prima donna look at me I'm a rock-star and you're not level of inappropriate team-mate behaviour that he must be a MASSIVE jerk.

You can't get guys like that out of town fast enough.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Darcy Tucker

Quote:

What the **** does it matter whether he may be retired or not . You and others are saying that Wilson is comparable to Lemaire as a coach .

I and others are trying to explain that a a good coach can make a team perform better than the talent they have and someone brought up Lemaire as an example .
perhaps you should head to the Lemaire boards and discuss this there.

Old
02-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Darcy Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayjobdave View Post
I agree.

My point is, it's ok (ish) for us Internet people to refer to them as AHL'ers. For Versteeg to do so is such a prima donna look at me I'm a rock-star and you're not level of inappropriate team-mate behaviour that he must be a MASSIVE jerk.

You can't get guys like that out of town fast enough.
this combined with his propensity to skate around on one leg and chew on his mouth piece made me want to punch him in the face. hes the definition of gutless puke.

Old
02-05-2012, 12:41 PM
topched

Quote:

They are certainly comparable.

See RW and the 1998 Washington Capitals.

They're coaching numbers are comparable when it comes to wins, playoff victories etc.

My point is either way, Lemaire isn't coming out of retirement to coach this team, even if you think he's a better coach. So this should be a mute argument.

Old
02-05-2012, 12:43 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
yet you quoted it ?

also I added it not even 1 minute after. hold on to your pants next time and respond before you get so defensive about Lemaire and his amazing Wild.
You seem upset. It's okay that you didn't understand his point and it's okay that you didn't know much about the Wild. Next time you won't make that mistake though..... or at least you shouldn't, but it looks like you did it again on this page.

PS - If you use the quick reply it automatically adds the quote, so if you edit while I'm typing I won't see that response.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:44 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
I didn't know the "main boards" were full of such intelligent, bright minded people.

Maybe if they're so much "smarter" over on the main boards you should take YOUR views over there and give us a rest from you're knowledge and wisdom. Our brains can't handle all that information overload you know... after all we're not the "main boards" we're just the "leafs board".
I guess only our boards are full of intelligent , bright minded people . I'm just saying you'll get a more objective opinion on the main board .

Judging by your sarcastic response however i'll take it that you already konw what the respones would be and you don't want to humilate yourself by suggesting that Wilson is comparable to Lemaire .

Old
02-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
I guess only our boards are full of intelligent , bright minded people . I'm just saying you'll get a more objective opinion on the main board .

Judging by your sarcastic response however i'll take it that you already konw what the respones would be and you don't want to humilate yourself by suggesting that Wilson is comparable to Lemaire .
Not sure about objective opinions regarding a semi-Leaf topic and the main board frankly lol..

In any case how about we move on here?

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote