HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Sens 0 vs Leafs 5: The "Didn't show up for a must-win game" edition

Old
02-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Iamok
#Panic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Surprised that tonight was the worst in the last 20 years that the Sens have returned to Ottawa.
Wow, it's impressive that you can remember the attendance of every single Leaf - Sens game for the past 20 years...

Iamok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Euclid
Futbol Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
So, I abandoned this game only to go read Storm of Swords... it ended up being the "Red Wedding" section of the book. FML (though I saw it coming from a mile away, both the wedding and Sens massacre). I'm depressed, should have gone out drinking tonight.
I feel for you, man.

Euclid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:31 AM
Philadelphia Collins

On the bright side, Jim O'Brien was awesome all night

On the other hand, when Jim O'Brien is your best offensive player...

Philadelphia Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:04 AM
ShotDownCrosby

While a loss like this sucks, I hope this gets the team back in shape realizing that refs are NOT to blame! That the team needs to be better and nothing else.

I thought EK was great, he was defensive AND at the end of the game it made me laugh seeing him trying to just get a goal on his own. He was obviously frustrated.

Alfie was great as well as OBrian. But we need more than that. And I hope this just points that out!

Still not out of the playoff race, but we need some big win streak to get there.

ShotDownCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:14 AM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 10639
Well I'll be staying away from these boards for a couple of days!

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:19 AM
DeVoice

again all the Downer family comes out to play.

1: Not suppose to be in a plyoff spot.
2: Rebuild teams go up and down win 3 loose 3 rinse repeat.
3: Tarana has always had the largest amount of wack-a-doos (biggest fan base,biggest bandwagon.)
4: Stay the couse we still are winning the season series.
5: Built strong foundation (tweeks can begin alot sooner)
6: Laffs have not had anything to cheer for years so good on them they deserved the win and i don't mind thier jeers and whines it helps me remember that a small market team has surpassed thier market exspectations several times.

We all knew this season was a wait and see...so wait and see

happy to be a Sens fan

DeVoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
Haha +1.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Either players are not listening or something is amiss with the coaching staff. The same plays work against the Sens almost every game in many cases against the same guys.

How many times have we seen 4 guys chasing the puck carrier down low leaving someone wide open in front and the points completely clear. How many times do the Sens over commit to one side or the other leaving it wide open for a trailer on the opposite side to walk in for a clear shot. How many times do our D get beat by allowing an opposing player to get behind them. When our forwards are deep in the O-zone why do they insist on making those soft passes back to the D when the opposing forward is playing high almost 3-4 feet from the D who then either have to back out of the zone or risk getting checked or bobbling the puck and losing it for a breakaway or odd man rush.

Teams have been studying the Sens and this is where coaching has to step in and vary some things around to force the other team to adjust too. They keep trying the same plays and don't seem to have any other strategy during the game except to change the lines. I would expect the coaches to be much better at making in-game adjustment when things aren't working other than flipping 3rd line and 1st line wingers.

I'd like the Sens to play a safe defensive checking game for a while until they settle down. There will be less pressure if they wait for the other team to make mistakes. Right now they are forcing plays, the back checkers are getting caught up ice and aside from the Kuba-Karlsson pairing on most nights the D are being overwhelmed.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 12:07 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
Either players are not listening or something is amiss with the coaching staff. The same plays work against the Sens almost every game in many cases against the same guys.

How many times have we seen 4 guys chasing the puck carrier down low leaving someone wide open in front and the points completely clear. How many times do the Sens over commit to one side or the other leaving it wide open for a trailer on the opposite side to walk in for a clear shot. How many times do our D get beat by allowing an opposing player to get behind them. When our forwards are deep in the O-zone why do they insist on making those soft passes back to the D when the opposing forward is playing high almost 3-4 feet from the D who then either have to back out of the zone or risk getting checked or bobbling the puck and losing it for a breakaway or odd man rush.

Teams have been studying the Sens and this is where coaching has to step in and vary some things around to force the other team to adjust too. They keep trying the same plays and don't seem to have any other strategy during the game except to change the lines. I would expect the coaches to be much better at making in-game adjustment when things aren't working other than flipping 3rd line and 1st line wingers.

I'd like the Sens to play a safe defensive checking game for a while until they settle down. There will be less pressure if they wait for the other team to make mistakes. Right now they are forcing plays, the back checkers are getting caught up ice and aside from the Kuba-Karlsson pairing on most nights the D are being overwhelmed.
A lot of the stuff mentioned I just can't blame on the coaching staff though, I'm sure they talk about it till their blue in the face, it seems like peewee mistakes, its up to the players to heed the words, go out and rectify the mistakes. It's a part of the young team learning curve, were going to look like crap sometimes, and with the home stretch here, teams are going to be a lot more tight checking and defensive, so we need to be the same.

As far as the game on Saturday actually went, we lost, time to move on and break the slump. The Leafs aren't a bad team at all, but I firmly believe we have the better management and better run organization and that will come to fruition and be shown in the future, so I'm not too worried about a 5-0 loss to the Leafs, its happened before and really never hurt us that much.

PeterSidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 01:12 PM
HappyDude
Classless

Let me just say that anyone who believes cole and galley that the sens "Didn't show up" are foolish! They were playing really hard for most of the game, reimer just stoned them.

HappyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 01:49 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
I still believe this whooping by the leafs is the best thing that could have happened to Ottawa.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Blair

Send a message via AIM to Blair Send a message via MSN to Blair
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude View Post
Let me just say that anyone who believes cole and galley that the sens "Didn't show up" are foolish! They were playing really hard for most of the game, reimer just stoned them.
I dunno. Sens got a lot of shots but not a lot of quality chances. Leafs were playing well lately and Ottawa not so much so a game like this maybe wasn't completely unexpected. I'd agree that with the possible exception of a couple of players (MM comes to mind... maybe Gonch) it's more to do with the growing pains of a team like this and not necessarily a lack of effort.

Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 02:21 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Ottawa's D outside of Kuba-Karlsson is horrible meanwhile our top line is...not a top line outside of Spezza.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 02:54 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Is Lee injured? That's the only reason I can think of to explain we he's not in the lineup over Carkner.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 04:09 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
My thoughts exactly. Point me in the direction of rationale people who have a grip on reality. HF is NEVER the place for that.

Why is it that when I talk with friends who are just as passionate a fan as myself or anyone on here, we understand the ups and downs of a season and realize that the team is bound to struggle a bit. But when you come on here, the sky is falling and the Sens are a mess and falling apart?

It makes zero sense.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 04:31 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

Reading through this thread is hilarious.

They burnt a jersey?! Aahahahahahahhahaha!!!

I was there, but didn't see that when I leave, and no, I didn't leave early. I would have taken a video for sure if I saw.

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 05:48 PM
DionPhaneuf3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickster View Post
Leafs were so lucky to get out of those two penalty kills in the first...
Game would have been totally different if the Sens had gone up 1-0.
Better teams than most NHL experts thought they'd be...
lucky or skill? Best PK since the new year...

DionPhaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 06:45 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DionPhaneuf3 View Post
I'll give the Leafs credit. They had solid PK skills, very impressed by that but the thing is, they were horrible all year long so it's a small sample size.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 07:41 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionPhaneuf3 View Post
I think he just means that if the Sens were to capitalize, the game would have looked a lot different.

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:18 AM
pepty

vCash: 492
Scanlan has an article about the ugliness on Saturday with the Leafs fans. Doesnt mention the jersey burning etc, but just the rowdiness and gerneral rudeness and suggests that some season ticket holders will not renew as the atmosphere is so unpleasant when the Leafs and thier legions of fans are iin town.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...480/story.html

Sometimes it takes an outsider to help locals see things for what they are. Even the most die-hard of Sens fans were taken aback by the atmosphere on Saturday in a rare 5-0 thrashing by Toronto, a beatdown that seemed to render Ottawa fans mute, and chased more than a few of them out of the building entirely.

A 15-year Senators season-ticket holder was so disgusted by the behaviour of Ottawa and Toronto fans, but mostly Toronto fans, she wrote to tell me she doesn't even feel it's safe for a fan to attend a game alone when the Leafs and Canadiens are in town "since the corridors are bedlam before the game and after."

.................................................. .................................................. .....

Newcomer Kyle Turris, a former Phoenix Coyote, says that in a playoff series against Detroit three-quarters of the building was supporting the visiting Red Wings. But they didn't boo, and certainly didn't deride Coyotes captain Shane Doan.

"They were just chanting "Go, Wings, Go," Turris said.

The season-ticket holder who wrote was discouraged that "the thugs and hooligans are ruining Senators games and no one can or has the chutzpah to do anything about it!"

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:28 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Pretty brutal but I don't see much of a solution... Maybe sell Leafs (Habs are fine) games the same way they sold the ASG tickets, you have to purchase a 10 game pack or be a STH to have access to them?

JonnyMacSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Blair

Send a message via AIM to Blair Send a message via MSN to Blair
I don't know if it makes much sense not to renew season tickets over 3 games a year. I'm thinking the number of leafs fans that came to see this game would be made into less of an issue if it ended up 5-0 sens instead of 5-0 leafs. Win the game, and suddenly the rowdy leafers are a lot less rowdy.

Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 01:25 PM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
I personally just don't like sitting in the stands with tons of Leaf fans so I swapped my tickets to that game for tickets to the game against Chicago.

Ottawa can sell out games just fine but the thing with Montreal/Toronto fans is that the tickets are too hard to get or too expensive in their own market so it is easier to just come see them play here. Ottawa's marketing team knows this hence why Leaf games were gold games despite how crappy their team has been since the lockout.

It's all well and good for people to cry about Ottawa's fans needing to "take back" our home rink, but I doubt half of the people that do so even pay to go see the games in the first place.

At twenty three years of age I'm part of the first generation of children to actually grow up with the team here in Ottawa and have only just recently gained the ability to start buying ticket packages. So if the Senators continue to build the team properly and put together another ten years of consecutive playoff appearances this problem will sort itself out.

It takes time to build the loyalty that the Montreal/Toronto fan bases have from their long history. With the first generation of Sens fans now hitting full fledged adulthood it will still probably take until that group's offspring matures, and the old holdovers die out from the post Senators days before you'll see a sea of Sens jerseys at a Toronto/Montreal game.

WantEggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 05:46 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
I personally just don't like sitting in the stands with tons of Leaf fans so I swapped my tickets to that game for tickets to the game against Chicago.
I can understand why you wouldnt go to a game with Leafs fans , judging from some of the comments in the Scanlan story, such as this one:

I have a 3 year old son who adores Alfie. He pretends to be Alfie or one of the other Sens almost every day while playing hockey at home with his ministicks. We waited awhile before leaving our seats to ensure that most of the yahoos had left the area so he didn’t need to be exposed to the drunken masses........ Once we left our seats and walked down to the concorse my son wanted to go to the cutouts (like every other game) and put his face in the goalies mask and on Alfie’s body. Unfortunately I will not be letting him put his face anywhere near the Alfie cut out again. As we were at the goalie cut out a group of Leaf fans came over (and even though there was a child there) one of the guys (I won’t call him a man due to his actions) continued cursing and dropped his pants and put his bare ass on the Alfie cut out. I had to go find an usher since there was no one in the area................... It is unfortunate that one classless individual has defiled something many kids enjoyed. I am all for the cheering and cat calls, the Leafs were the better team that night. But to do something like that, let alone in the presence of a child is what makes all Leaf fans look bad.....................We are season seat holders and I find the Leaf fans are the most crass and classless. Other than the annoying chants the Habs fans are respectful and friendly regardless of the outcome

You can certiainly see why this person will not be taking their child to another game attended by Leaf fans.

What I think might be useful is some way for anyone, season ticket holder or not ,who wants to sell their tickets or give them away to provide some way for them to give or sell their tickets to Sens fans first.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote