HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

's Source: "I was told one of either Carter or Nash will be moved shortly"

Old
02-05-2012, 07:26 PM
JiggleTheHandle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Not when the third line could be a 2nd line on nearly every team in the NHL.
I believe he was thinking in terms of TOI

JiggleTheHandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
According Eklund one of them will be moved. I wonder what team they will go to.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...hortly/1/41880
Old news - Aaron Portzline, who is the beat reporter in Columbus covering the team, was on NHL Live last Monday and said he knows for a fact that Columbus will trade Carter. Carter's not happy in Columbus and management / ownership isn't happy with him. The Jackets will hold out as long as they can but when the deadline arrives, it sounds like they'll happily dump him for the best offer they can get. More than likely, Eklund watched the show and is now claiming Portzline as his source - the usual M.O. of constructing rumors that others have already reported.

Forget Nash - he's more of loyal soldier for the franchise and far more valuable. If he's dealt, the Jackets would get a lot more value - and willing trading partners - if they move him in the offseason.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:29 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

As a kings fan, I seriously hope not, but Carter to Anaheim wouldn't surprise me a bit.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Knight of the Realm
champs no more!

https://twitter.com/#!/mayorNHL/stat...04001363685376

Interesting if true.

Brown, JJ, and two picks/prospects for Nash.

Yeeeeeeeeaah NO!!!

links not working dab nab bit

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight of the realm View Post
https://twitter.com/#!/mayornhl/stat...04001363685376

interesting if true.

Brown, jj, and two picks/prospects for nash.

Yeeeeeeeeaah no!!!
done! I'd probably do it for Brown and JJ. Here we go

mayorNHL The Mayor John Hoven
FWIW - source told me several weeks ago, #CBJ asking price for Nash was Brown, Johnson and 2 prospects/picks. #LAKings said no thanks.
3 hours ago

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Knight of the Realm
champs no more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
done! I'd probably do it for Brown and JJ. Link is bad btw.
Right, LA turned it down.

https://twitter.com/#!/mayorNHL/stat...04001363685376

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
links not working dab nab bit
That's what happens when you listen to a Mayor who isn't me.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:58 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Unless Columbus surrounds Nash with legitimate NHL'ers, he should be traded. Rick Nash can't carry the BJ's by himself. He's tried. This team's drafting history is horrid, as is it's history of signing free agents. Since the Jackets entered the league, outside of Nash, they've drafted the following players in the 1st round:

2000 4th overall Rostislave Klesla - gone
2001 8th overall Pascal Leclaire - gone & bust
2002 1st overall Rick Nash - on roster
2003 4th overall Nikolai Zherdev - gone & bust
2004 8th overall Alexandre Picard - gone & bust
2005 6th overall Gilbert Brule - gone and bust
2006 6th overall Derrick Brassard - on roster, hasn't reached potential
2007 7th overall Jakub Voracek - traded, hasn't reached potential
2008 6th overall Nikita Filatov - demoted, sent home, traded went home, garbage

I mean, Christ. 8 straight years drafting #8 or better. If their scouting was worth a flying ****, they could have had a banner risen to the rafters by now. Poor Rick Nash has been sitting in C-Bus languishing. Who're the best linemates to have graced Rick with his presence in the last 10 years? He's lucky he's scored as many points as he has. He's like Thomas Vanek. Makes the most of what he can with what he has...and that ain't much.

I want to say that Columbus needs to take the approach of so many other teams and build through the draft, but they've been a miserable failure at that. They can't draft, they can't attract free agents. They're in real trouble. They need to trade Nash and Carter, and at least keep trying that approach. Regardless of how marketable some might think of Nash being, or how he's the teams only identifiable player, he alone is not going to put butts in the seats or keep this team in Columbus. I'm only 34, but this team has been the most futile in the league in the past decade, and even since I started watching hockey over 20 years ago. Simply woeful.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
That's hysterical that the Jackets think he's worth that kind of return. LOL Outside of being well paid, I can't even imagine Nash's level of frustration playing in Columbus. He'll be an old man before he's UFA, and they certainly aren't going to be competitive during the span of his current contract. I guess they could be, but it'd take a ****ing miracle.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Whoa someone is certainly expressing their opinions. How many times has Columbus had a lottery pick? 1 time. I'm not making excuses but its going to be difficult to **** up Yakupov. Brassard is coming around, Johansen and Moore look good too. I think Columbus will be okay, but you are correct in one of them needs to go. The failed draft picks has kept this team from building any kind of formidable depth. Unfortunately, trading one of the two best players on the team will be Columbus' only way of bringing in needs.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Finlandia WOAT
go rongos go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
Unless Columbus surrounds Nash with legitimate NHL'ers, he should be traded. Rick Nash can't carry the BJ's by himself. He's tried. This team's drafting history is horrid, as is it's history of signing free agents. Since the Jackets entered the league, outside of Nash, they've drafted the following players in the 1st round:

I mean, Christ. 8 straight years drafting #8 or better. If their scouting was worth a flying ****, they could have had a banner risen to the rafters by now. Poor Rick Nash has been sitting in C-Bus languishing. Who're the best linemates to have graced Rick with his presence in the last 10 years? He's lucky he's scored as many points as he has. He's like Thomas Vanek. Makes the most of what he can with what he has...and that ain't much.

I want to say that Columbus needs to take the approach of so many other teams and build through the draft, but they've been a miserable failure at that. They can't draft, they can't attract free agents. They're in real trouble. They need to trade Nash and Carter, and at least keep trying that approach. Regardless of how marketable some might think of Nash being, or how he's the teams only identifiable player, he alone is not going to put butts in the seats or keep this team in Columbus. I'm only 34, but this team has been the most futile in the league in the past decade, and even since I started watching hockey over 20 years ago. Simply woeful.
Just so I understand what you are saying:

Facts: Columbus can't draft worth crap, can't develop worth crap, and can't attract free agents worth crap.

Solution: Trade the only players on their roster worth playing more than 10 minutes a night for picks/prospects??

This isn't just you, this is the general feel of the thread, and Columbus/Nash/Carter discussions in general.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Retail1LO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tripps View Post
Just so I understand what you are saying:

Facts: Columbus can't draft worth crap, can't develop worth crap, and can't attract free agents worth crap.

Solution: Trade the only players on their roster worth playing more than 10 minutes a night for picks/prospects??

This isn't just you, this is the general feel of the thread, and Columbus/Nash/Carter discussions in general.
Rick Nash can't do it by himself...so you're better off attempting to get MULTIPLE pieces to the puzzle that might be able to be part of a bigger solution. I mean, seriously, you simply can NOT build around ONE guy. They've tried that. For a decade. Rick Nash, especially at this point of his career, isn't a franchise centerpiece. You're delusional if you think he is. And I didn't say you had to trade him solely for picks and prospects. He should be enough to net you a good pick, good prospect, and a roster player or two.

The point is you have two options. Fill in the blanks around Nash/Carter, and hope Carter works out to begin with...OR...use the only two GD pieces you have to try and head in a new direction. Every team in the league has reinvented itself at some point or another. You have to know when to pick your spots. No one on this thread can tell me that even if they hang on to Nash or Carter...that the Jackets will ever reach contention while either player is in his prime, assuming they're not past it already. They're depreciating assets. At best.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:29 PM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

Quote:

#Truth

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Finlandia WOAT
go rongos go

Quote:

The point is you have two options. Fill in the blanks around Nash/Carter, and hope Carter works out to begin with...OR...use the only two GD pieces you have to try and head in a new direction. Every team in the league has reinvented itself at some point or another. You have to know when to pick your spots. No one on this thread can tell me that even if they hang on to Nash or Carter...that the Jackets will ever reach contention while either player is in his prime, assuming they're not past it already. They're depreciating assets. At best.
So the solution is that they should:

--trade their best players for players of equal value (which, as we have already concluded, is not enough to get Columbus out of the basement consistently), or

--trade them for futures. This being the franchise that absolutely kills any futures that are not already a sure thing.

If I were Columbus, I would hang onto Nash or Carter, unless someone blows me away with an offer that would be idiotic to refuse. Because for a franchise that can't attract free agents and can't develop anyone other than someone who is NHL ready at 18, trying to dump the one part of your team that isn't terrible is not a good idea.

Last edited by Finlandia WOAT: 02-05-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old
02-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Retail1LO

Quote:
So the solution is that they should:

--trade their best players for players of equal value (which, as we have already concluded, is not enough to get Columbus out of the basement consistently), or

--trade them for futures. This being the franchise that absolutely kills any futures that are not already a sure thing.

If I were Columbus, I would hang onto Nash or Carter, unless someone blows me away with an offer that would be idiotic to refuse. Because for a franchise that can't attract free agents and can't develop anyone other than someone who is NHL ready at 18, trying to dump the one part of your team that isn't terrible is not a good idea.
Yeah well, at some point in time, Nash and Carter are going to cease playing inspired hockey. It may be happening to Nash slowly, and Carter could have very well showed up in town bent out of shape about being shipped from Philly to the dark side of the moon. If the team can't draft and can't attract free agents, well....

R.I.P. Carter & Nash

Because their careers are going to go to the grave in Ohio in that scenario.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Finlandia WOAT
go rongos go

Quote:
Yeah well, at some point in time, Nash and Carter are going to cease playing inspired hockey. It may be happening to Nash slowly, and Carter could have very well showed up in town bent out of shape about being shipped from Philly to the dark side of the moon. If the team can't draft and can't attract free agents, well....

R.I.P. Carter & Nash

Because their careers are going to go to the grave in Ohio in that scenario.
So the problem isn't the players, it's the organization?

A problem that is not helped if Nash and Carter are traded.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Retail1LO

Quote:
So the problem isn't the players, it's the organization?

A problem that is not helped if Nash and Carter are traded.
Ummm...I'd say the organization has definitely handicapped this franchise at nearly every step. I think Ken Hitchcock is one of the best coaches in the NHL, and even he couldn't do **** with the Jackets. No one's ever been set up for success in that market. I feel sorry for everyone in the organization below the GM and scouts. The coaches and players have gotten boned.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:50 PM
Finlandia WOAT
go rongos go

Quote:
Ummm...I'd say the organization has definitely handicapped this franchise at nearly every step. I think Ken Hitchcock is one of the best coaches in the NHL, and even he couldn't do **** with the Jackets. No one's ever been set up for success in that market. I feel sorry for everyone in the organization below the GM and scouts. The coaches and players have gotten boned.
Great! We are in agreement then.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Retail1LO

BTW, Carter and Richards were both traded just prior to NTC's that were due to kick in, right? Are those null and void once they're traded?

Old
02-05-2012, 10:55 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
What's his source? TSN.CA? Or Hfboards? Either way we beat him to the punch again.

NEXT.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
BTW, Carter and Richards were both traded just prior to NTC's that were due to kick in, right? Are those null and void once they're traded?
It's up to the acquiring team if they'd like to reinstate the clause. See CBA section 11.8 (I think sub a) for details.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:02 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I was told EK is clueless

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Dr Swag
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jacob View Post
Seems legit.
Damn, you beat me to my catchphrase.

Dr Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:04 PM
octopi

vCash: 844
Quote:

well at least next year he'll have Yakupov or Grigorenko to be miserable with.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:04 AM
Vyper

Sooo they won't be. Ok, glad that's cleared up

Vyper is offline   Reply With Quote