HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Trade Deadline pt 2 - (Feb 27th at 2 PM CST)

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2012, 11:27 AM
braindead

vCash: 500
Not to mention Carter is a shoot first kind of guy (think Craig smith) and our top 6 is riddled with pass first guys. Carter between Erat and SK should be very effective.

Old
02-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Not to mention Carter is a shoot first kind of guy (think Craig smith) and our top 6 is riddled with pass first guys. Carter between Erat and SK should be very effective.
That's what I envision

Old
02-04-2012, 12:16 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

I could care less how many great character guys we have in the locker room. If we have add one bad apple, it can have a much more adverse reaction than positive results. It could either way but when we added Fisher, we knew exactly what we were getting. For the money that's getting locked up in him, that's too big a risk for this franchise that's built itself on quality people. Yeah, Carter's talented but are we absolutely sure we want his baggage? Make a move for a quality top 6 guy now and make a run at Parise if he hits free agency. We're not giving up as much now player wise and also adding the big fish all of us really want. I'd rather wait the few months and make the right move than do something now that is going to have long term effects we can't reverse.

Old
02-04-2012, 01:26 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I could care less how many great character guys we have in the locker room. If we have add one bad apple, it can have a much more adverse reaction than positive results. It could either way but when we added Fisher, we knew exactly what we were getting. For the money that's getting locked up in him, that's too big a risk for this franchise that's built itself on quality people. Yeah, Carter's talented but are we absolutely sure we want his baggage? Make a move for a quality top 6 guy now and make a run at Parise if he hits free agency. We're not giving up as much now player wise and also adding the big fish all of us really want. I'd rather wait the few months and make the right move than do something now that is going to have long term effects we can't reverse.
I kinda agree with you. Carter has a tendency to get hurt. If his contract wasn't that big it wouldn't be that bad but he's got a long contract and that would be another Erat/Legwand type albatross and he's not a organizational guy. I think Hemsky for one year and Smid the D is what I see Poile doing just a thought and see if it happens. One reason they are not in the Preds division going forward. I don't we would want to face Blum and Lindback in the future 6 times a year unless we got say a Nash that would be different

Old
02-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I somewhat agree with glenn as well. I'm on the fence with Carter. There is a lot of extra baggage that comes along with him. Even if his character issues turn out ok, I'm not so sure his hockey skill would even fit here. He's a floater with a great shot who needs to be fed the puck constantly to be effective. Aside from Erat, all our forwards know how to do is dump and chase. People say we have too many playmakers and passers. I would disagree. Sure we have some but most aren't good enough and/or consistent to be relied upon every game. We have plenty of players who can score, not enough players who can create space for themselves and others.

On the other hand, a player of Carter's calibre doesn't go on the trade block too often, so you have to capitalize while you can. Despite him being a floater, I'm sure he could be very useful to us. Maybe he'll make our playmakers look better. You have to take risks to succeed.

Old
02-04-2012, 02:09 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

OTF discussing whether we should pursue Hal Gill or not. I think that would be a fine move. Not too expensive, and adds size and penalty killing. Plus has postseason experience.

Old
02-04-2012, 02:34 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Gill would be a decent choice. Lump him in with Hannan, Sarich, and Allen as physical vet options to solidify the bottom two pairings.

Old
02-04-2012, 02:55 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Gill would be a decent choice. Lump him in with Hannan, Sarich, and Allen as physical vet options to solidify the bottom two pairings.
Gill isn't very physical though he tends to avoid the physical side of things but he is a huge body that can help the PK.

Old
02-04-2012, 03:08 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Gill isn't very physical though he tends to avoid the physical side of things but he is a huge body that can help the PK.
Gill has a history of getting physical when needed. Going for hits just to go for hits tends to get players out of position ... and really, he's in Montreal so there is no reason to put forth any effort.

Old
02-04-2012, 03:11 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Gill has a history of getting physical when needed. Going for hits just to go for hits tends to get players out of position ... and really, he's in Montreal so there is no reason to put forth any effort.
Hey it has taken a lot of effort to play this poorly to work at a top 5 pick in the draft too bad the draft wasn't a little better this season it may have actually meant we got a decent pick lol.

Old
02-04-2012, 03:14 PM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post

Baggage how about are current luggage Suter and Weber?

Carter is a floater but he floats to the net and puts pucks into it. See the 3 he put on us before my beer got hot not to long ago.

Wouldnt one of these look good in a Preds uni for the new year...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=41880

Last edited by VFL615*: 02-04-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old
02-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

I've said it before, but I think Carter is the absolute BEST player that I think will be traded at or before the deadline. I think Poile is in on it, and I really hope he brings Carter in. I don't think Carter will be that big of a problem here, and I also think bringing a guy of his caliber in convinces Weber and Suter to stay. Carter is a legit top 3 forward that we need with size and a shoot first mentality.

These guys don't grow and trees... not to mention go on the block often.

Old
02-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Carter's size is deceiving. He's soft as butter. Like Vasicek soft. Arnott is more physical.

I do agree he'll be the best player traded this year. He's risky, but you gotta take risks in this business.

Old
02-04-2012, 06:51 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Carter's size is deceiving. He's soft as butter. Like Vasicek soft. Arnott is more physical.

I do agree he'll be the best player traded this year. He's risky, but you gotta take risks in this business.
No one is as soft as Arnott

Old
02-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
No one is as soft as Arnott
Ok, you got me, I was exaggerating

Old
02-04-2012, 07:53 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Want me to drive down to Elmira and tell Craig Rivet to get his ass to Nashville?

Old
02-05-2012, 09:44 AM
maplepred

What do you think Carolina would want from us for ES??

Old
02-05-2012, 10:59 PM
cleangene

Checking out the repeat of Gagne's 8 pt. game on NHL net. today, I kept a close eye on Hemsky. Although it was only 1 game, I really didn't see anything from him to make me want him as a PRED. I remember some amazing moves and goals from seasons past, but he mostly stood around without any threat of shooting the puck. PLEASE DP...steer clear from this possible move IMO.

Old
02-05-2012, 11:27 PM
Drake744
Resident Jones Homer

vCash: 325
Could we (hypothetically) afford Staal while keeping Weber and Suter long-term while already paying Pekka for the next 7 years.....while still having leftover money for the rest?

Old
02-05-2012, 11:48 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Could we (hypothetically) afford Staal while keeping Weber and Suter long-term while already paying Pekka for the next 7 years.....while still having leftover money for the rest?
We can pay rinne/weber/suter a total of 23 million, plus give wilson a raise to 3 million, and add a 7 million dollar forward and still get in under 63 million, provided we get rid of SK, whose spot the new 7 mil guy would presumably take.

next year is going to be the tightest squeeze... after that fishers salary is off the books and erat and legwands actual dollar salary drops a good bit

Old
02-06-2012, 08:15 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

What's with the Staal talk? You might as well be talking about Stamkos or Crosby. He's not going anywhere, regardless of what Eklund "hears."

Old
02-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Nitrous Mafia

i would love a hal gill move.

Old
02-06-2012, 09:47 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
We can pay rinne/weber/suter a total of 23 million, plus give wilson a raise to 3 million, and add a 7 million dollar forward and still get in under 63 million, provided we get rid of SK, whose spot the new 7 mil guy would presumably take.

next year is going to be the tightest squeeze... after that fishers salary is off the books and erat and legwands actual dollar salary drops a good bit
I would hate to move SK. Young and skilled.

Old
02-06-2012, 10:01 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
i would love a hal gill move.
in the interest of the rest of the regular season, with a tough schedule, gill would be a last resort for me. he does have a reputation for going into beastmode in the playoffs, but he also has a reputation for having inexplicably average\poor regular season showings.

Old
02-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
in the interest of the rest of the regular season, with a tough schedule, gill would be a last resort for me. he does have a reputation for going into beastmode in the playoffs, but he also has a reputation for having inexplicably average\poor regular season showings.
and I think we could live with that. He'd address the grizzled vet problem and pair him with one of the kids, he'd be fine.

Closed Thread