Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rpg mia

Old
02-04-2012, 11:52 AM
DaDucks

vCash: 500
why is DSP being used in the same sentence with Beleskey?

my god

DaDucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDucks View Post
why is DSP being used in the same sentence with Beleskey?

my god
tell me about it.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanconn View Post
who is so far ahead of him on the third line? bonino? clearly not. cogliano, sure but barely.

top 9 is saying like nothing btw

He's so easily ahead of Matt Beleskey though, its not even funny.

I don't see DSP as any sort of long term solution to out first line, and agree he's not a first line type player. but neither were Getzlaf and Perry a handful of seasons ago. Sometimes, a gritty player like DSP is exactly what the star players need. The kid clearly has a lot of goal scoring talent, and has shown not a whole lot of weakness in the skating department. Etem makes more sense long term, or maybe Yakupov..............

but i just don't see who would be much better with Getzlaf and Perry... Beleskey can't ever receive the tricky passes from Getzy and Perry, and Palmieri didn't show much readiness for the NHL on any of the lines with the Ducks, never should have left the AHL.

some players are just better suited for the jump to the NHL straight out of juniors, and DSP is probably one of them. He's doesn't make sense as a long term solution on the first line, but for the rest of this season, it would be good for him, and he might actually work very well on the top line, especially if he can create some space for Getzlaf and Perry, and help Perry be a pest in front of the net.

I just really like the idea of him playing with Perry. Perry sure scored a lot more points than DSP did in juniors, but both play a physical game, and no one likes to play against them.

DSP has a tonne of work to do, but could be very strong come next season. As it stands though, Hagman is about the only player capable of helping out Getzlaf and Perry, since Ryan pretty much needs to be split up from them now. Every team has our number when we have RPG together.

unlike Cogliano, or Bonino, DSP is a lot more well rounded, and since we can't put Cogliano's legs on Bonino's frame, I'm sorry to say, but I'd say DSP is easily the more talented player of the three, and a lot of teams would take him over Holland in an instant, he just fills a niche.

TSN has nothing to say but really great things to say about Smith Pelly, and talked about the kid a lot when World Juniors were on. Last time team Canada had a full top prospects game of junior players, DSP and Ryan Nugent Hopkins were talk of the game, and DSP score 2 goals.

where I come from, scoring goals against the best players in the world at Team Canada games, and in the OHL, means more than producing in the AHL. DSP was pretty consistent at the junior level in a power forward role, but really turned it on in the playoffs.

he has a long way to go to be a longstay powerforward in the NHL, but he's definitely got the skillset and talent to do it.

He gets so much acclaim from Canadian hockey analysts, im just surprised he hasn't been given more opportunities with the Ducks, and won't be at all considering the coaching change, and our horrible season.
Bonino has more points and a far better +/- in fewer games than DSP, plus he plays center and DSP doesn't. Bonino isn't competing with DSP for a job, but is better than him NOW. 2 years that'll be debateable.

Cogliano is a much better NHL player. Really, saying otherwise is laughable. You don't get NHL credit for juniors or press clippings.

The AHL is a MUCH better league than juniors. Lighting up 16 year olds vs playing with men? There's a reason these kids go from astronomical numbers in juniors to merely good or even pedestrian numbers in the AHL. and it isn't because their coaches don't like them. Your position is indefensible. Beleskey and Maroon had better OHL numbers than DSP, where are they now? DSP isn't special, he has to prove it somewhere, and so far all he managed to do was be -10 on one of the 2 or 3 worst 3rd lines in the league. He's scored 2 goals in 26 games (I'm not calling the one that was shot off the inside of his knee as evidence of being a "goal scorer") - it's far from clear he's a goal scorer at the NHL level. He throws a lot of hits, and that's a big deal with the current roster, but Luke Schenn throws a lot of hits and hat doesn't make him a top pairing defenseman either.

DSP is a grinder, projects as a 3rd liner with 2nd line upside. That description was NEVER applied to Getzlaf and Perry. DSP is good for his age, but a lot of that is due to being physically imposing, and again, he no longer has that advantage in the NHL. I think he'll likely be very good in 2-3 years, but he really should have spent the year in Juniors working on his offense, I'm afraid he won't top out as high as he should because of being rushed. Plenty of people agree with me. And the only reason he played was because the Ducks were so bad. I defy you to name ONE playoff team where he would be on the roster.

In reference to one of your earlier posts, he was averaging 10:51 TOI (same as Gordon). I have no faith he's in shape to double that output on the 1st line, especially after being out 4-6 weeks with a broken foot.

Palmieri has been given 115:17 over 11 games, with much of that on the 4th line. DSP had 219:23 over 26, all on the 3rd. I'm not sure how you think Palmieri was given a better chance to perform.

The kid has huge promise. But the only way he belongs on the first line is if the Ducks have sold off every UFA/RFA on the roster and are in tank mode. And they aren't yet.

And in reference to why Beleskey is being discussed with DSP - it's because Beleskey has better production this year. And has actually looked pretty good the last few games. Hopefully his issues were from the injuries and shoulder surgery last year.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Lyons71

Perry seems slow/tired. Ryan is just... ugh. Getzlaf seems normal, but is a little less physical than he's been. Ryan really just seems like he's miserable. No idea what's going on there.

We really need

Lyons71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Fallenity

I've definitely liked DSP better then Palmieri and think he should be given a chance. What if we throw the textbook out of the door and try for example Ryan - Koivu - DSP as second / third line? Or Cogs instead of Koivu. Spreads the RPG out, gives DSP a chance to play with skill and show what he's made of, while not faced with the extreme leap of AHL to NHL first line.

Fallenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenity View Post
I've definitely liked DSP better then Palmieri and think he should be given a chance. What if we throw the textbook out of the door and try for example Ryan - Koivu - DSP as second / third line? Or Cogs instead of Koivu. Spreads the RPG out, gives DSP a chance to play with skill and show what he's made of, while not faced with the extreme leap of AHL to NHL first line.
Why would you want to put Cogs back at center? He's done better on the wing. Not to mention you're replacing our best face-off man with one of our worst.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Fallenity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Why would you want to put Cogs back at center? He's done better on the wing. Not to mention you're replacing our best face-off man with one of our worst.
Well of course I meant Koivu would be centering the other line, but if you don't want to split Koivu and Selanne up, I don't really know who else other then Cogs would go there, unless we want to try the "Ryan as Center" experiment again.

Old
02-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Well of course I meant Koivu would be centering the other line, but if you don't want to split Koivu and Selanne up, I don't really know who else other then Cogs would go there, unless we want to try the "Ryan as Center" experiment again.
Cogliano just isn't cut out for playing center. That's the player who typically runs the offense on that line. Plays go through them. That's not Cogliano. When he was in that role earlier this season, he was often killing the play.

Old
02-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Cogliano just isn't cut out for playing center. That's the player who typically runs the offense on that line. Plays go through them. That's not Cogliano. When he was in that role earlier this season, he was often killing the play.
Thankfully the Edmonton fans were wrong about him not being able to play on the wing at least.

Old
02-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Fallenity

Quote:
Okey, what about:

Hagman - Getzlaf - Perry
Ryan - Koivu - DSP
Blake - Bonino - Selanne

Second and third line play as much, three scoring lines

?

Old
02-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Thankfully the Edmonton fans were wrong about him not being able to play on the wing at least.
Definitely. He's been a nice fit.

Old
02-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Okey, what about:

Hagman - Getzlaf - Perry
Ryan - Koivu - DSP
Blake - Bonino - Selanne

?
That kind of comes down to how everyone plays. The 1st line is going to be as good as Getzlaf and Perry are. That 2nd line would come down to how well Ryan does, and frankly, given how he's played this season I'm not comfortable relying on him.

Couldn't say on the 3rd line. Bonino has played well, but Koivu and Selanne have chemistry. Who can say how Bonino plays with Selanne? Blake is Blake. He's a complementary addition.

Old
02-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Fallenity

Quote:
That kind of comes down to how everyone plays. The 1st line is going to be as good as Getzlaf and Perry are. That 2nd line would come down to how well Ryan does, and frankly, given how he's played this season I'm not comfortable relying on him.

Couldn't say on the 3rd line. Bonino has played well, but Koivu and Selanne have chemistry. Who can say how Bonino plays with Selanne? Blake is Blake. He's a complementary addition.
I like it because it gives DSP a chance to play with better players. Blake and Selanne work well with eachother, although Cogs and Selanne could go together for their speed. Bonino is the question mark then. Hagman has worked before with the first line, but can be replaced with Beleskey if need be, which isn't the best but it suffices.

The main points are, that RPG has to be broken up, at least with Ryan moved. It would be good if DSP gets some time also with top players.

All in all, this team needs another good center.

Old
02-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

It definitely does. A young 2nd line center would go a long way towards improving the Ducks.

Old
02-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Okey, what about:

Hagman - Getzlaf - Perry
Ryan - Koivu - DSP
Blake - Bonino - Selanne

?
Cogliano will NOT be on the 4th line so DSP can be on the 2nd.

Old
02-05-2012, 07:26 PM
DisneyDucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Cogliano will NOT be on the 4th line so DSP can be on the 2nd.
Spot on

DisneyDucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:36 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

I still think DSP might be able to adapt playing on the first line.

Look how well Teemu and Koivu did in the Olympics with a guy like Jere Lethinen on their top line. I'm not saying DSP is of the same calibre as Jere Lethinen, yet, although he could be in the future...

but what I am saying is he could clear space for Getzlaf and Perry. He can pass the puck well, he skates well, and he has proven he can score with 3 nhl goals so far, and 16 goals in the playoffs with the Majors last year... in their run for the Memorial Cup.

Again, I don't think DSP is going to make sense on the first line beyond this season, really, but we don't have really any players who are first line quality wingers beyond Perry, Ryan and Selanne, anyways!!!

Who the heck is so much more skilled, and has worked so much harder than DSP, that he deserves a spot on the first line, while DSP doesn't even deserve one look on the first line?

I just don't see anyone on this team other than Ryan or Selanne, who flat out deserves to play on the first line with Getzlaf and Perry, based on skill or hard-work.

On any other team really, DSP has no business on the first line, but on our Ducks team right now, we don't have any clear cut better options... absolutely, there is no harm trying him out on the first line.

first, I don't think he will flat out fail with Getzlaf and Perry, those guys are just too good of players, and secondly, even if he doesn't end up working on the first like with Getzy and Perrs, that isn't going to destroy his confidence, and he will get to go back to the OHL, and maybe play for the memorial cup again...

Old
02-06-2012, 12:27 AM
tANNERRRR*

Just to clarify...Etem and DSP will both be AHL eligible next season, correct?

tANNERRRR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:32 AM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
Originally Posted by tANNERRRR54 View Post
Just to clarify...Etem and DSP will both be AHL eligible next season, correct?
yup.

Old
02-06-2012, 01:05 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

I think it's time to split up RPG again. Couldn't do it during the winning streak but now it's time IMO. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Ryan needs to be on a line with out Getzlaf and Selanne.

Hagman-Getzlaf-Perry
Cogliano-Koivu-Ryan
Blake-Bonino-Selanne
Beleskey-Pelley-Parros

The only place I see DSP in that lineup is in favor of Parros, and I don't think giving him 4th line mins is smart for his development. If Ryan can not produce on this line, then the team should really consider moving him. No one hates saying that more then I do, but it's time to see what he can do carrying his own line.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 01:07 AM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
I think it's time to split up RPG again. Couldn't do it during the winning streak but now it's time IMO. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Ryan needs to be on a line with out Getzlaf and Selanne.

Hagman-Getzlaf-Perry
Cogliano-Koivu-Ryan
Blake-Bonino-Selanne
Beleskey-Pelley-Parros

The only place I see DSP in that lineup is in favor of Parros, and I don't think giving him 4th line mins is smart for his development. If Ryan can not produce on this line, then the team should really consider moving him. No one hates saying that more then I do, but it's time to see what he can do carrying his own line.

Hagman-Getzlaf-Perry
Cogliano-Koivu-Selanne
Blake-Bonino-Ryan
Beleskey-Pelley-Parros

how about that? I just don't see the point in splitting up Koivu and Selanne...

Old
02-06-2012, 01:21 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Today's practice lines

Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry
Beleskey-Koivu-Selanne
Blake-Bonino-Cogliano
Hagman-Pelley-Parros

Old
02-06-2012, 01:34 AM
Selanne138

I dont see why people want to split the third line up right now, they have been by far our best unit, especially with Blake there. Maybe try the Selanne-Getzlaf-Perry line again? Not the most successful but its not like the Top 6 has been scoring anyways at ES.

I could actually see Hagman-Koivu-Ryan working. Not sure why, just a hunch, but who knows.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 04:12 AM
Exit Dose

I did some digging at Behind The Net. While I knew Ryan was one of the team leaders in takeaways, I didn't realize that for the last three seasons Ryan's drawn unmatched minors and given up penalties at about a 2:1 margin. Blake is the only other player on the team that is as good or better, season to season.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 04:22 AM
jepjepjoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I did some digging at Behind The Net. While I knew Ryan was one of the team leaders in takeaways, I didn't realize that for the last three seasons Ryan's drawn unmatched minors and given up penalties at about a 2:1 margin.Blake is the only other player on the team that is as good or better, season to season.
Selanne and Perry have drawn more this season...

jepjepjoo is offline   Reply With Quote