HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Number One Priority by the Trade Deadline

Old
02-05-2012, 11:16 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
If Gill was 3-4 years younger he would be exactly what this team would need. But he has sucked for two years. He is so slow its painful, he is basically a situational D man at this point.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:51 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

vCash: 500
Is LAs management still soured on Drew Doughty? Do you think there'd be any way they'd let him go? It would probably need to be a massive overpayment. Maybe Jack Johnson is a more realistic possibility. LA may be able to lose defense to upgrade the offense, if they hope to make a run at the playoffs.

I'd say if homer makes serious offers for Ryan Suter or Shea Weber and it turns out that they definitely aren't available, then I would turn my attention to a guy like jack Johnson. If he turns out to be unavailable as well, then I'd look at a guy like Bryan Allen or Hal Gill.

But number 1 on the priority list should be doing whatever possible, (and rational) to get suter or weber.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 01:05 AM
BillDineen

It is tough for me this year.

Pronger is done and who knows for sure when JVR will be back.

I do not have confidence we can beat Boston, NYR, Pens or even the Devils in a 7 game series.

We have relied heavily on rookies all year. Who knows if they can keep the pace up through the end of the year, let alone the playoffs.

We have 2 d rookies (Gus and Bourdon) and 3 d (Carle, Mesz, Coburn) that are prone to rookie type error filled games. Does acquiring 1 d solve this?

Very little confidence in our goaltending.

G is slumping and is a -12 in his past 13 games. Although I do like that he is still a point a game player in a "slump"!

I do not want any rentals. If we make a trade for a d, I hope it is someone who is either likely to sign and we would want to sign or a younger d.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 01:21 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Do this :
Trade picks for Gill AND Allen
Trade JVR for suter

(just copied these out of the GDT so ignore the line up mistakes)

Scott Hartnell Claude Giroux Jaromir Jagr
Matt Read Maxime Talbot Jakub Voracek
Zac Rinaldo Brayden Schenn Wayne Simmonds
Tom Sestito Sean Couturier Harry Zolnierczyk

Kimmo Timonen Braydon Coburn
Matt Carle Ryan Suter
Bryan Allen Andrej Meszaros
Hal Gill

Looks solid

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 01:25 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Is LAs management still soured on Drew Doughty? Do you think there'd be any way they'd let him go? It would probably need to be a massive overpayment. Maybe Jack Johnson is a more realistic possibility. LA may be able to lose defense to upgrade the offense, if they hope to make a run at the playoffs.

I'd say if homer makes serious offers for Ryan Suter or Shea Weber and it turns out that they definitely aren't available, then I would turn my attention to a guy like jack Johnson. If he turns out to be unavailable as well, then I'd look at a guy like Bryan Allen or Hal Gill.

But number 1 on the priority list should be doing whatever possible, (and rational) to get suter or weber.
I want no part of Doughty's contract

Old
02-06-2012, 01:26 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Do this :
Trade picks for Gill AND Allen
Trade JVR for suter

(just copied these out of the GDT so ignore the line up mistakes)

Scott Hartnell Claude Giroux Jaromir Jagr
Matt Read Maxime Talbot Jakub Voracek
Zac Rinaldo Brayden Schenn Wayne Simmonds
Tom Sestito Sean Couturier Harry Zolnierczyk

Kimmo Timonen Braydon Coburn
Matt Carle Ryan Suter
Bryan Allen Andrej Meszaros
Hal Gill

Looks solid
Reportedly, the asking price for suter is

A roster player
An A quality prospect
A B quality prospect
A first rounder

So we'd probably be looking at

Jvr
Schenn
Bourdon
1st

For

Suter

Which is a completely ridiculous price to pay for a pending UFA who may not re sign. If it were for Weber on the other hand...Also, how exactly do you expect to fit Suter, Gill and Allen under the cap?

Old
02-06-2012, 01:32 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Reportedly, the asking price for suter is

A roster player
An A quality prospect
A B quality prospect
A first rounder

So we'd probably be looking at

Jvr
Schenn
Bourdon
1st

For

Suter

Also, how exactly do you expect to fit Suter, Gill and Allen under the cap?
Allen is 2.9.. Suter is 3.5m.. Gill is 2.25m

JVR is 1.65m.. Shelley waived frees up 1.1
Plus the traded contracts will be prorated... And we should have about 4m cap space at the deadline..

If there's a will there's a way!

and regarding Suter's value, i don't see them getting that much ..
I see JVR + 1st + possibly Bourdon being more realistic

Old
02-06-2012, 01:41 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Allen is 2.9.. Suter is 3.5m.. Gill is 2.25m

JVR is 1.65m.. Shelley waived frees up 1.1
Plus the traded contracts will be prorated... And we should have about 4m cap space at the deadline..

If there's a will there's a way!

and regarding Suter's value, i don't see them getting that much ..
I see JVR + 1st + possibly Bourdon being more realistic
I'm not saying they will get that, just that it's what they'd allegedly be asking for in return.

Old
02-06-2012, 01:47 AM
hotshot26

Doug Murray

hotshot26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 01:49 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot26 View Post
Doug Murray
I dont see the sharks letting him go unless an overpayment happens

Old
02-06-2012, 03:11 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
It is tough for me this year.

Pronger is done and who knows for sure when JVR will be back.

I do not have confidence we can beat Boston, NYR, Pens or even the Devils in a 7 game series.

We have relied heavily on rookies all year. Who knows if they can keep the pace up through the end of the year, let alone the playoffs.

We have 2 d rookies (Gus and Bourdon) and 3 d (Carle, Mesz, Coburn) that are prone to rookie type error filled games. Does acquiring 1 d solve this?

Very little confidence in our goaltending.

G is slumping and is a -12 in his past 13 games. Although I do like that he is still a point a game player in a "slump"!

I do not want any rentals. If we make a trade for a d, I hope it is someone who is either likely to sign and we would want to sign or a younger d.
This.
I still expect us to make the playoffs but this team is depending heavily on rookies and adding a single body won't turn us into a contender.
There are teams out there like Boston and the Rangers who are already well balanced and who will still improve at the deadline by adding valuable role players.

If Homer can get an UFA who is looking to sign a contract with the Flyers and makes em better mid term without overpaying, he should do it. Else, just stand pat and let the youngsters learn how to handle the playoffs on the job.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:27 AM
mirimon

A dman or two would be nice. A bottom six forward who can play on the pk would be nice as well, if it's a good faceoff guy that would be a plus as well.

I don't want us to trade any roster players or a 1st round pick to get these added though, so I'm not sure what can be done.

Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr
JvR-Couturier-Read
Simmonds-Talbot-Voracek
Dvorak-Schenn-Brière
Rinaldo

Timonen-Coburn
Meszaros-Carle
Oduya-Bourdon
Lilja

would that lineup work cap-wise? I know Shelley most likely won't be waived, but still... Some mid-level picks and/or Phantoms players enough to get Oduya and Dvorak? Oduya isn't the crease clearer that Allen or Gill is, but he could step up and log some minutes if one of the top 4 ds are injured in the playoffs. With Beauchemin and Gleason locked up, and I don't think Suter will be moved, there isn't any rental d out there that I am all that crazy about though.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:55 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Honestly, if we need some bigger bodies on the D, I'd say we should still go after Gill and/or Schenn. If we can out of anything though, get Suter.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 04:59 AM
IceHot

If you were gonna be asked to sacrifice that much for Suter then I'd turn around and offer something a little less for the Sabres
Tyler Myers to see if they would bite and which is more of what we need to replace Pronger.
Maybe JVR+ one of our top defense prospects Gus or Bourdon, and a first or second dependent on another body coming our way, would make the Sabres budge or consider a trade.

IceHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 05:47 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHot View Post
If you were gonna be asked to sacrifice that much for Suter then I'd turn around and offer something a little less for the Sabres
Tyler Myers to see if they would bite and which is more of what we need to replace Pronger.
Maybe JVR+ one of our top defense prospects Gus or Bourdon, and a first or second dependent on another body coming our way, would make the Sabres budge or consider a trade.
Id love to get Myers. But i know Buffalo looks at him as a cornerstone of the franchise. We would have to do more than just give up assets, we would also have to take back one of their bad contracts i.e. leino or Ehrhoff.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 06:58 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

They should be sellers.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 07:03 AM
Broad Street Elite

The only trades that make any sense right now are for a UFA 5/6 defenseman (Allen, Gill, etc.) and a defensive center or winger (Gaustad being my top choice).

Essentially, my feeling is this.... We're not as good as Boston or New York. However, we're good enough to get hot in a series and get lucky enough to beat either of them. There's simply nothing that's reasonably available that makes us a favorite there. I want to keep our young forwards together, then target getting tougher defensively in the offseason. Next year is more realistically our year.

I don't want to cough up young players for a Schenn or a Suter (not really available) to still be the underdog in any meaningful playoff series.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 07:06 AM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
They are better off standing pat. Give the rookies some play-off experience and see how the dice roll out in the off-season.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 07:34 AM
Kaktus*

I do not mind selling. I think I said the same thing a month.

In a perfect world.

Jagr for 2nd round pick and a prospect
Timonen to a team like Van for at least a 1st round pick and maybe a player.
Carle to a team like Detroit for 1st round pick and a prospect.
Briere to Washington (Caps need 2nd line center) for d-sive prospect, young player or a pick.

Flyers move 20mil in salary. Have very good draft with at least 3 1st round picks while keeping young players. All of our players have very high potential. We do not have a single **** up.
Buy out Bryzgalov and waive Shelley.

We are going to create a lot of holes but will still be competitive. Trade for Gill and Sarich to plug holes.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 07:50 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
I do not mind selling. I think I said the same thing a month.

In a perfect world.

Jagr for 2nd round pick and a prospect
Timonen to a team like Van for at least a 1st round pick and maybe a player.
Carle to a team like Detroit for 1st round pick and a prospect.
Briere to Washington (Caps need 2nd line center) for d-sive prospect, young player or a pick.

Flyers move 20mil in salary. Have very good draft with at least 3 1st round picks while keeping young players. All of our players have very high potential. We do not have a single **** up.
Buy out Bryzgalov and waive Shelley.

We are going to create a lot of holes but will still be competitive. Trade for Gill and Sarich to plug holes.
Trading Danny B is suicidal. The guy is easily the biggest clutch player on this team. When nobody else is scoring, Danny is.

I wanna keep Kimmo too but I can see how riding him for a prospect would be prosperous as he really starting to wear down now.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 08:01 AM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Weber

I have a feeling we can get him too

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 08:03 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Trading Danny B is suicidal. The guy is easily the biggest clutch player on this team. When nobody else is scoring, Danny is.

I wanna keep Kimmo too but I can see how riding him for a prospect would be prosperous as he really starting to wear down now.
If (major if) we trade at the dead line, we trade everyone. Danny too. Danny as good as he was is getting old. This is his worse season in the last 10 years. It will get worse very quickly.

With Gleason and possibly Suter off the table, price for Carle and Timonen will be sky high. I will repeat myself but I think we can get 1st and very good NHL ready prospect for each. We trade our D to teams like Hawks (have a lot of NHL ready prospects and rumored on the market for a d-men) or Van or some other team West and we can rebuild in one year. As soon as next year Flyers are a serious threat for a very long time.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 08:28 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Anyone that mentions MFL being called up and playing for the Flyers should not be aloud to talk hockey anywhere or anytime in their lives. Ever!
We have a glorified and more highly paid MFL in net right now.

Actually, that's not fair to Leighton. Leighton had a .918 save % as a starter and a .916 save % during our cup run in the playoffs.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 08:36 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Don't trade away our first round pick. If someone wants to overpay for JVR and/or Carle, I say do it. I don't think we will because we have to maintain this air of 'Cup or Bust,' but I think it's for the best long term.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 08:45 AM
PAZUZU

people wanting suter or weber in orange and black are dreaming, preds have the cap space to keep both. a 3rd pairing dman is not going to fix this teams defensive zone issues, so i'm with the stand pat group. let the young guys get experience and hope bryz gets hot down the stretch.

homer is not usually in the stand pat group, so most likely there will be a deal done.

PAZUZU is offline   Reply With Quote