HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Weirdest/most Unique Arena

Old
01-26-2012, 01:50 AM
mpir3

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Weirdest one I ever saw was on the top level of a boys & girls club, and we had to climb the stairs with all of our equipment.
Pittsfield, MA? I've played in one similar there.

Played in some weird ones growing up... Chazy, NY, a few in vermont and quite a few in Quebec The kids here in Phoenix have it easy ..

mpir3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:09 AM
MNWild9

I have three rinks in mind. One would be The Super Rink in Blaine,MN if you dont know what rink your skating and you park on the wrong side of the rink you have to walk through some odd hallways to get to the other side. Another would be the old Ralph Engelstad arena that place sucked big time I always hated playing there. The ice always sucked. But the worst was Rugby,ND it was a old quonset which was a fair building that just had dirt floors. The locker room were tiny and were under ground most of the time the mats were missing and parents or coach would have to carry you up the stairs. I once had to crawl up the stairs. Also their zamboni was a joke most of the time it would break down during a tournament so they would just have people shovel the rink.

MNWild9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:21 AM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebels21 View Post
the rink at playland in new york was probably the weirdest one for me. nice locker rooms but u had to walk down a hallway and down a staircase to the ice. There was an open area on top for fans. they threw soda at the opposing goalie one time.
I still play at Playland in Rye. Was the Rangers practice facility until they built the new one a few years back. The nicer dressing rooms that are on the rink level used to be reserved for the Rangers use only and now are only used by Manhattanville College. There's also a 1/2 sized rink on the upper level. Cool old place with alot of history.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:55 AM
RangersAM99

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
Haha much nicer than Wall
oh yeah, "gold coast arena" is a **** hole

RangersAM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Jaca Hockey Arena in Spain is quite nice:

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:38 PM
OpenIceHit42

Unfortunately I can't find pictures of it online but my team traveled to the "Roller Dome" in Franklin Tennessee several times back in the 90's. Was an outdoor roller hockey rink with a roof over it, open on both sides and stadium style seating at both ends of the rink. The locker rooms were underneath the stands. Was a pretty cool rink.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Guffaw

Not sure if already mentioned, but the War Memorial in Johnstown PA.

I played there a few times in college vs. Pitt-Johnstown. Slapshot was filmed there, the step down from the tunnel/concourse to the ice was like 2 feet, and they had a pimp working the scoreboard and penalty box doors each time we played.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Khabby

I played in a rink in Bedford thats an airdome, I think its used for soccer in the summer time, But in the winter they put a rink down on it. You have to go through 2 sets of doors to get on the ice, and wait till one set closes before you can go in the other so the air doesnt escape and deflate the arena

Khabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:56 PM
seabird

from about 2000-2003 i played in a hong kong expat league on the 8th floor of the dragon center mall in sham shui po. the rink was about 1/2 size, no dressing rooms, and a mini roller coaster overhead. best part was the hkd10 budweisers sold by the league. great memories and great group of guys.

seabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 10:13 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
i think most arenas in SE Asia qualifies as "weird/unique"

This is where my team practices.. 3 hours drive from my city but we got a good deal on 6 hours of ice time here so it's pretty sweet.

Me and the boys are used to full contact hockey, but we have to be careful when checking near the boards since it's really short... more like fences than boards if you ask me.

This is the biggest rink in my country, but the management hates hockey, charges ridiculously high prices, soft ice, boards are higher but still have railings and glasses will break on a high impact check.

Still waiting for some crazy enough investor to build a decent one like the new rink in Singapore...

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:00 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
2 rinks: one inside a mall in Charlotte, NC. winter wasn't too bad but in the summer the sun would come through the skylight like an oven. add to that shoppers throwing pennies at you from above and it was quite bizarre.
the 2nd one is in Erie, PA. the benches were kind of like a dugout. you had to step UP to get on the ice.

Played at the one in erie as well. The ice was not your standard size and stepping up onto the ice was weird as well. Played there once and hated it. Forget the name but its where Penn State Behrend played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
Not sure if already mentioned, but the War Memorial in Johnstown PA.

I played there a few times in college vs. Pitt-Johnstown. Slapshot was filmed there, the step down from the tunnel/concourse to the ice was like 2 feet, and they had a pimp working the scoreboard and penalty box doors each time we played.
Hated playing here as well. The step down sucked, it seemed like the ice would never freeze right so the ice was always ******, and always hated playing goalie in an arena filled with empty dark seats. Once the puck goes up above the boards and in the line of the seats, you lose the puck every tiem

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 05:11 AM
Grinder89

I wish I could recall the town! In the mid 90's I played at a rink that didn't have a proper zamboni. A tractor pulled some sort of ice resurfacing machine. I know the rink was somewhere in the Kwartha Lakes Region (Central Ontario)

Grinder89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:37 AM
Lui One Hall

The new Olympic Arena or Bolshoy Arena in Sochi looks pretty cool.

Hockey/ice rink in Dubai, UAE.

Lui One Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Trevor3

The strangest for me is the Siki Bennet Arena in St. George's, NL. I doubt it's 50 ft wide and probably only 80 ft long. It was originally a curling rink, but they decided to convert it and basically flooded the room. There are bleachers behind one net, the opposite end has enough space to park a zamboni of to one side thanks to an addition to the building, the other side has a small space enough for someone to walk through. There isn't much point though as the boards are flush with the wall along the length of the rink coming down that side. Plywood, painted yellow with red silhouettes of figure skaters and hockey players from the top of the boards to the ceiling. There is no glass along that side, just the yellow wall of the building. The other side has benches squeezed between the boards and the other wall. The end of the rink with bleachers has wire cage instead of glass, like the NHL back in the 40s.

You can only play 4 on 4, although 3 on 3 is probably better. The dressing rooms are equally as tiny, usually a team gets 2 rooms when they play there. That place is always good for a laugh though, and makes a great ball hockey rink in the summer.

Trevor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 06:52 AM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Happy View Post

Hated playing here as well. The step down sucked, it seemed like the ice would never freeze right so the ice was always ******, and always hated playing goalie in an arena filled with empty dark seats. Once the puck goes up above the boards and in the line of the seats, you lose the puck every tiem
Someone else knows what I'm talking about. We were warned about the step down, but at least 3-4 players would up on their butts first time we played there.

The pimp was there in the early to mid 90's. Not sure when you played there.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Tuff Gong

Send a message via MSN to Tuff Gong
Rink in Adelaide Australia had an actual ski slope in it, weird lining up for a faceoff as someone skis past.

Rink in Melbourne had some really soft spots that were like potholes, had to watch where you were skating.

Rink in Quebec City was in a shopping mall that had a roller coaster above it.

Tuff Gong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:40 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
2 rinks: one inside a mall in Charlotte, NC. winter wasn't too bad but in the summer the sun would come through the skylight like an oven. add to that shoppers throwing pennies at you from above and it was quite bizarre.
That's where I first learned to skate.

Sadly it's now a dead mall.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 04:15 PM
BBH
34|38|61|10|13

Send a message via Skype™ to BBH
I learned to play at Downers Grove Icearena. Very strange place. Ice quality was absolutely horrific, and there were steel rafters about 10 feet from the ice with peeling insulation covered in what looked like tinfoil. Hated it. The lights were dim and the locker rooms smelled like, well, any locker room. We had to walk past the Zamboni entrance to get to the locker room, and there were holes in the rubber covering, so many-a blades were dulled there.

BBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faryn View Post
La Glace Alberta

the arched roof was interesting to play with it wasn't very high and when the puck hit the roof ice and snow would come off it. during the winter it would seem like it was colder inside the arena then outside, we would have to were tuque and gloves under our equipment to stay warm. The change rooms were under the ground and you would have to walk up stairs to get to the ice surface. There was enough room for about 30 spectators at one end of the ice.

There were quite a few of rinks like this around Grande Prairie Grovedale and Clairmont had them too but Leglace was by far the worst although it was an interesting rink to play in.

I agree with everything you just said. Every rink not in the city is garbage Basically an outdoor pond with a roof on it.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Angelus
Smile Time!

Edmonton, westmount centre food court

Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 08:58 AM
shoeshine boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
That's where I first learned to skate.

Sadly it's now a dead mall.
that's the one! I forgot to mention the smell of Cinnabon wafting down as you were playing. also hated the climb up the stairs after the game. one time a teammate got injured and it took the paramedics forever to figure out how they were going to get the stretcher out. I'm not sad to see that mall die. the last couple of years we went (went every year for a tourney) it seemed less than safe. heck, one year a woman on an opposing team got her car stolen from the parking lot.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 10:34 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
that's the one! I forgot to mention the smell of Cinnabon wafting down as you were playing. also hated the climb up the stairs after the game. one time a teammate got injured and it took the paramedics forever to figure out how they were going to get the stretcher out. I'm not sad to see that mall die. the last couple of years we went (went every year for a tourney) it seemed less than safe. heck, one year a woman on an opposing team got her car stolen from the parking lot.

Like a lot of malls, it started off being the nicest place in town and went way downhill when the neighborhood changed. There were multiple shootings inside the mall one year and that pretty much killed it off.

If it says anything about the demographics, they took out the ice rink and installed an indoor soccer field. This was taken from almost exactly the same angle, just before it closed for good:

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 06:02 PM
TieClark

I can't remember any really unique rinks, but I always loved Port Credit arena because it felt like an actual arena and not just a rink with one section for stands.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:55 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Rostraver Ice Garden outside of Pittsburgh

The upper part is a restaurant.

It smells really weird in the rink. Not sure what asbestos smells like, but it wouldn't surprise me if it smelled like the rink. The boards are abnormally high and made of concrete. The glass has no give. The locker rooms are really weird, with the showers basically in the dressing area, only separated by an wall with a few arches in it. Also, the roof collapsed a few years ago after a big snow storm.

Beauner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:59 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faryn View Post
La Glace Alberta

the arched roof was interesting to play with it wasn't very high and when the puck hit the roof ice and snow would come off it. during the winter it would seem like it was colder inside the arena then outside, we would have to were tuque and gloves under our equipment to stay warm. The change rooms were under the ground and you would have to walk up stairs to get to the ice surface. There was enough room for about 30 spectators at one end of the ice.

There were quite a few of rinks like this around Grande Prairie Grovedale and Clairmont had them too but Leglace was by far the worst although it was an interesting rink to play in.

I also played at this one rink up in the Yukon when I lived there that was completely outside except for the change rooms which had a fireplace in them to keep them warm and the glass was a chain fence. It was very similar to an outdoor neighborhood rink but it was used for organized hockey.
I could have played here. Small world.

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote