HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Bryzgalov ever be worth his contract? All Bryz Discussion Here. Part Three

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2012, 12:04 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haleks View Post
I'm not a goalie but isn't it better to just put your stick perpendicular to the ice near your body and once it hit you, you smoother it?
no, you want to 'push' the stick away from your body, in order to [hopefully] counter-act the forward trying to push the puck towards the net. your aim there is to contact the puck as soon as possible, the more time a forward has to make the shot, the better his chances .. in that case, by Gaborik curling AWAY from the post [and not trying to stuff it between Bryz and the post - which Bryz had covered], he bought himself more room & time .. ultimately that's why it went in - Bryz protected against the 'stuffer', while Gaborik got a regular backhand attempt on net ..... still that save is made 95% of the time with Bryz's wrong guess .. but a goalie's 1st priority is to cut off the stuffer.

i would still blame myself on that one [and Bryz here], although realistically, he did exactly what we all do. the only other thing i've seen done is a goalie holding the tape knob of his stick, and violently 'sweeping' the stick towards that player [on the ice], around the post, even wrapping back around the net [in an attempt to blow up the play] . Bryz really had no time for that, though ... and it most likely wouldn't have helped in this case, as Gaborik went away from the net, more towards the high crease .. that's because Mez let him do that by chasing behind.

Old
02-06-2012, 12:59 AM
G'aal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
he's played in 20 games. that's almost 25% poor games. he's got 11 wins .... stolen ? about 3 i'd guess.

but this isn't about Bob ... Bryz needs to be better, but the last 2 goals were not awful

Bryz was there .... not sure how it snuck through .... has to make that save. Mez CAN'T chase behind the net
Actually, although number of goals allowed isn't perfectly correlated with whether or not the goalie had a good game or a bad one, the fact remains that Bob has given up four or more goals just three times in 20 games. Bryz has given up four or more eight times in his last 20 games, a period of time in which he's played some of his best hockey all season.

It's by no means too late for Bryz to turn it around. The real issue/question is whether or not he was a product of the system in Phoenix or if his confidence is shot. Neither is good, but the latter can at least be restored.

I'm a Kings fan, but given the Philly ties the organization has, I've been following the Flyers in recent years. I've watched Bryz shut down the Kings many times over the past few seasons. Granted, the Kings have been defense-first for a few years now, so they make most opposing goalies look good. I never thought he was a spectacular goalie, but he was big in net and seemed technically sound. He was solid, bottom line.

He's just flat-out missing the puck, now, not making the big saves he used to in Phoenix. It's almost like he's not tracking it well, or is so psyched out that he's flinching. Some guys just can't handle the pressure of a big market. You probably can't make a much bigger jump than Phoenix to Philadelphia.

If the Flyers can work to get his head back on straight, I think he'll be fine.

Old
02-06-2012, 06:49 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
but all 3 of those goals were routine saves
Nonsense.

Bryz Haterz would be well-advised to go take a look at the slop surrendered by the totally-awesome-guy-I-wish-we-had-instead-of-Bryz fellow commonly referred to as MAF yesterday:

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player...F#nhl/28203497

Especially note the one at 2:25 of the video. But watch the whole thing.

Then go here to watch Vokoun's performance vs. Bruins yesterday:

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player...F#nhl/28203237

BOTH videos feature close-in goals that HAVE TO BE STOPPED just like the one Gaborik scored yesterday.

Old
02-06-2012, 07:02 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
This. The Gaborik goal was unspeakably bad -- really just total incompetence and lazy technique (which has been a theme all season), especially with the goal stick. And it's not like Del Zotto fired a great shot for the third goal... it went through Bryz's ****ing five hole because of -- wait for it -- lazy technique. It's not like he was moving side to side. That NEEDS to be a save. The people who don't think the third goal was inexcusable on Bryz's part are delusional apologists.
You need to watch other goaltenders allowing goals.

Old
02-06-2012, 07:16 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
"Actually, it was a funny bounce, too, because the puck hit me in the stick and started climbing my stick, [going] over my pads and under the arm," he said.
Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1lbiEb0vD

Old
02-06-2012, 07:18 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
What has enabled the Rangers to dominate the series?

"The goalie," Flyers defenseman Kimmo Timonen shot back. "When they break down, their goalie makes the saves."

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1lbij0tIw

Old
02-06-2012, 07:22 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
You need to watch other goaltenders allowing goals.
So the fact that other goalies let up bad goals makes that second goal ok? They're all bad, they all need to play better. We're focusing here on Bryzgalov, who happens to be our goalie. I don't think that we're asking for too much from him. That save is certainly one he needs to make.

The first goal is a fluke, can't blame him. The fourth goal was a bad turnover -- it would have been nice if he had saved it, but I can't fault him for that. The second goal he needs to have for a multitude of reasons. The third goal I think he should have had as well. Bourdon made a bad turnover, but the puck stayed on the left side of the ice the whole time and Bryzgalov squared up to the shooter. Just got right through his legs.

Fact is that he let in two goals on two straight shots (end of 2nd period, beginning of 3rd period) in a 90-second span of playing time. Those are backbreakers, particularly the one at the end of the 2nd. You need to get a better performance from your $5.66 million/yr, franchise goalie. The shame of it is, he was playing a solid game up until 5 seconds left in the second. A lack of mental toughness got him.

Old
02-06-2012, 07:50 AM
duffy9748

What did Timonen say?

Old
02-06-2012, 07:53 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
So the fact that other goalies let up bad goals makes that second goal ok?
No, the fact the premier goaltenders allow those kinds of goals means it's not really a bad goal.

Did you watch the videos?

Quote:
We're focusing here on Bryzgalov, who happens to be our goalie. I don't think that we're asking for too much from him.
I think a lot of people are. When it's all boiled down and the fluff is stripped away, "we" want Bryz to cover up for the fact that our coach has NO IDEA of how to teach this team to play defense. NONE.

A lot of people here don't want to come to grips with that fact so they need to find someone else to blame.

Quote:
The first goal is a fluke, can't blame him. The fourth goal was a bad turnover -- it would have been nice if he had saved it, but I can't fault him for that. The second goal he needs to have for a multitude of reasons. The third goal I think he should have had as well. Bourdon made a bad turnover, but the puck stayed on the left side of the ice the whole time and Bryzgalov squared up to the shooter. Just got right through his legs.
I think I don't disagree with any of that. Except to say that if you watch that video of MAF you will see nearly the same exact goal as Gaborik scored yesterday on Bryz. Just because it trickles in doesn't mean it's a bad goal.

As for the 3rd goal, surely you want your goalie to stop that. But NHL players score from there, and five holes goals are not always bad goals.

Quote:
The shame of it is, he was playing a solid game up until 5 seconds left in the second.
"Stellar" would be more appropriate.

Quote:
A lack of mental toughness got him.
Maybe.

I think it is more not dealing well with being hung out to dry all game every game by an unprepared and undisciplined team.

Old
02-06-2012, 08:19 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
No, the fact the premier goaltenders allow those kinds of goals means it's not really a bad goal.

Did you watch the videos?
I did. I don't think any of those goals by the 'premier' goalies was as bad as Bryz's second. Fleury got pulled after the third goal, but that was still an awful goal for Johnson to give up. I still think it's a bad goal because it's easily preventable for him. That goal from behind the net that Vokoun gave up -- he lost that puck because it was up in the air and landed in front of the goal; Bryz saw Gaborik get the puck and tracked it the whole time. He was a little lazy there and it cost him.

Quote:
I think a lot of people are. When it's all boiled down and the fluff is stripped away, "we" want Bryz to cover up for the fact that our coach has NO IDEA of how to teach this team to play defense. NONE.

A lot of people here don't want to come to grips with that fact so they need to find someone else to blame.
I agree that it's easy to blame the goalie. However, I've watched and played enough hockey to know when someone's not carrying his weight. Bryz isn't the only one, but when you play goalie and you don't play up to your contract and ability, you're going to have to face the music. I don't think Laviolette is perfect at all. However, given the roster that he has and the turnover that the team has had, I'd say he's doing a pretty good job.

For the record, I don't think this team is going to make it far this year.

Quote:
Maybe.

I think it is more not dealing well with being hung out to dry all game every game by an unprepared and undisciplined team.
I think hung out to dry is overstating it. The team as a whole played well yesterday. Goals 3 and 4 were sloppy but preventable, especially 3. There were plenty of plays where the Rangers were out of position and let up a good opportunity. Difference was that their goalie bailed them out.

Any time you let up a goal with 5 seconds left in a period--at even strength--that's a lack of mental toughness. All six Flyers on the ice are accountable, but it starts with Bryz on that one.

Old
02-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Devastate

@Jxc

You're pointing out videos to bad goals. Tell you what... I'll watch them when you watch any game and see those shots get stopped 10 times a game. Hell, go to an adult league.

And I'm far from a bryz hater, I'm actually a big fan of his.

Old
02-06-2012, 11:14 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

How many points is Bryz going to have to drop before BOB claims his rightful place?

We gave Bryz more than enough time to prove he should be number one and he hasn't accomplished it.

Having solid games against the dang Wild, Winnipeg and NJ isn't enough.

To date he has two really good games against two really good teams.

That being, the most recent Nash game and opening night against the Broons.

He's been horrible VS the Rags.
Was horrible against Chicago.
Was horrible two of the three times against Boston.
Was horrible against St. Louis.
Was horrible against Van.

The list goes on.

Bad times are ahead for this guy when we keep dropping points because of his lackluster play and proceed to drop ranks in the standings.

Old
02-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

When Fleury, Quick, Lundqvist, etc let in the bad goals Bryz did yesterday, it's something you shrug off as an anomaly. With Bryz it's been the norm this year. That's the difference.

02-06-2012, 11:52 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
When Fleury, Quick, Lundqvist, etc let in the bad goals Bryz did yesterday, it's something you shrug off as an anomaly. With Bryz it's been the norm this year. That's the difference.
yep. every goalie gives up bad goals. there is no disputing that. But if you cant shake off a bad goal and let it bother you as a goalie going forward its going to be a long night in goal.
The really good goalies can brush off the bad goals. So far this season we havent seen that from Bryzgalov. The dude is fragile mentally.

Old
02-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
exactly.. like the bad game bob had due to reffing..

no ones blaming the loss on him, cuz its an anomoly and not his reality to control..

if Bryz was in net that nite i would have cut him the same slack.

but the loss to NYR is all on him, different circumstances entirely

as beef said if it were an oddbal goal that rarely sees twine, thats fine whateva. but with Bryz it seems every puck that has a remote odd of going in, does so.

were way to far into the season for this to be bad luck or just needing to adjust. wayyy to far..

Old
02-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
yep. every goalie gives up bad goals. there is no disputing that. But if you cant shake off a bad goal and let it bother you as a goalie going forward its going to be a long night in goal.
The really good goalies can brush off the bad goals. So far this season we havent seen that from Bryzgalov. The dude is fragile mentally.
that is one area were Bob excels..

he picks himself right back up and dusts off any goal.

ive never seen him get ratttled. in fact i think he gets madder and feister with every goal..hes got a tiny bit of Hexy in him some nites

Old
02-06-2012, 12:04 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Bryz needs to play with more heart consistently rather than say things like "mistakes happen." Yup..it is what it is with Bryz I suppose...

Quote:
Goaltending obviously was the single biggest factor in the game -- Lundqvist was sensational for 60 minutes, while Ilya Bryzgalov was excellent for 39 minutes and 54 seconds before imploding.

After all the hard work that went into the Flyers rallying back from 1-0 and 2-1 deficits against the hardest team to come back against in the NHL, the soft goals that Bryz allowed to Marian Gaborik (final five seconds of the second period) and Michael Del Zotto (36 seconds after Wayne Simmonds re-tired the score) cut the heart out of the Flyers.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...-2612/45/41920

Old
02-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Ouch.

But, true.

Old
02-06-2012, 12:10 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
that is one area were Bob excels..

he picks himself right back up and dusts off any goal.

ive never seen him get ratttled. in fact i think he gets madder and feister with every goal..hes got a tiny bit of Hexy in him some nites
edit nmind. had a brainlock

Old
02-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 626
Quote:
I asked before and nobody seemed to know:

If Bryz never lives up to his contract, can he be Huet'd? Or will his NMC prevent that?
The NMC prevents exactly that type of scenario.

The only options for the Flyers to be rid of him are a trade (he must waive NMC for it to happen) or buying him out.

Old
02-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

That's grand.

Thanks for clarifying!

Old
02-06-2012, 01:52 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

The only options for the Flyers to be rid of him are a trade (he must waive NMC for it to happen) or buying him out.
He could also waive his NMC to go play in Russia as well I believe. The Flyers just couldn't force him to leave.

Old
02-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

and we can not send him to AHL, right?

Old
02-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
and we can not send him to AHL, right?
Only if he agrees to it.

Old