HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Schaefer: Upcoming RFA or UFA?

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2006, 11:44 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

vCash: 500
Schaefer: Upcoming RFA or UFA?

Does anyone know what Peter Schaefer's free agency status will be after the season? According to nhl.com, UFA's for the 2006-07 season are defined as follows:

"in 2006-07, a player age 29 with four accrued seasons or with eight accrued seasons"

Schaefer will turn 29 in July of 2006, so I presume for free agency purposes he is 28 next year (since the date of record is usually July 1st). Therefore, I don't believe Schaefer would qualify for UFA status under that clause. However, as noted above, a player can become a UFA if he has played 8 accrued seasons. Now - Schaefer turned pro in 1997-98, and thus has been a pro player for 9 years (including 1 year for the lockout as agreed to through the CBA), however, he did play one full year in Finland while in a contract dispute with Vancouver, so I presume that year doesn't count.

My question is therefore if a player spends a full year say in the AHL (as Schaefer did in 1997-98), does that count as a "accrued season"? I don't believe so, which leads me to believe he will be a Restricted Free Agent next summer, however, I could be wrong. Does anyone know how an "accrued season" is calculated? Is there a minimum number of games a player must play in the NHL over 1 season to count it as an accrued season?

The reason I ask is I've seen Schaefer listed as both an RFA or UFA on various projected summer of 2006 free agency lists. Anyone know? Thanks.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...id%5B%5D=19344

Old
01-10-2006, 03:25 PM
jamiebez

I think you're assumption is correct - his AHL season is not an "accrued" season, but that's just my judgment.

The rationale I'm using is the rookie cap: if a rookie plays less than 10 games in a season, it does not count as a season under the 3-year rookie cap, and hence, not as a year of service in the NHL. The Sens sent Hossa back to Portland to avoid this, IIRC. Same would apply here, I would think.

Old
01-11-2006, 02:38 AM
The Big Rig

I think I heard a player must play 40 games in a season to be considered to have played an "accrued season".

Old
01-11-2006, 06:39 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Thanks guys...so it appears Schaefer will be a restricted free agent this coming summer.

Closed Thread