HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Burke's Team - Not what he promised

Old
02-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Swervin81
aka LeafsSharksBoy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post

He started with

and in less than 4 years he has a team that is 90% new players
Ryan Hollweg

What a ****ing joke

Swervin81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
He should have kept the picks and drafted Seguin and Hamilton .
Thanks for that pro-tip, Captain Hindsight.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 09:45 AM
number72

Quote:

He started with

and in less than 4 years he has a team that is 90% new players
Sure the roster is faster, more skilled and the people inside the jersey have change but the team is not more truculent/physical/gritty then it was four years ago. And for 90% change in the roster how come there is not 90% improvement in the team. Seems like a lot of change for changes sake rather then for results.

And until this year, the team was about as competitive as those earlier teams. Three for four year rebuild is not amazing overachieving feat nor a disaster. It is an average rebuild. Average rebuild is Average.

number72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 09:46 AM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

vCash: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Sure it is faster, more skilled and the people inside the jersey have change but the team is not more truculent/physical/gritty then it was four years ago.

And until this year, the team was about as competitive as those earlier teams. Three for four year rebuild is not amazing overachieving feat nor a disaster. It is an average rebuild. Average rebuild is Average.
We still beating this decaying corpse of a horse?

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 09:51 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Sure the roster is faster, more skilled and the people inside the jersey have change but the team is not more truculent/physical/gritty then it was four years ago. And for 90% change in the roster how come there is not 90% improvement in the team. Seems like a lot of change for changes sake rather then for results.

For someone with strong opinions on Burke's rebuild you sure have trouble grasping what is actually happening.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 09:51 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Yah I think you are right and I didn't notice his recent production slump. I'm hoping that picks up but teammates l don't think Connolly is person on the third line, keeping lombardi and crabb's point totals down. He is better defensively then Bozak but Bozak is more physical which is not saying much so I see why Bozak remains on the first.

Burke needs to do something with the center logjam. Will be interesting.
I didn't realize how bad he was slumping until i looked up his stats either . Also , how sad is it that he's less physical than Bozak . It's too bad he din't have some heart or grit because the talent and the hockey IQ is there .

I just hope the logjam and cap don't cost us Grabo , the guys really grown on me .

hotpaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 09:52 AM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelsmustache View Post
We still beating this decaying corpse of a horse?
That post would be better directed at the other poster who is regurgitating 2007 rosters. Apparently he is happy with a 4 year rebuild. I am not dead horse or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Ryan Hollweg

What a ****ing joke
And then Burke teased us with Lebda and Exelby.

Old
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:

Really, You don't see how Burke came in with literally nothing to work with and was able to turn that around in 4 years? The 2008 team was one of the worst in the NHL since the Ballard era. We now have 2 players in the top 10 in scoring, have 2 goalies with 5 shutouts in 12 games, a perfect PK in 2012 and are sitting in a playoff spot.

Sure we aren't a cup contending team yet, but to go from what we were, to where we are in 4 years is nothing short of amazing. it isn't like we got Malkin and Crosby 2 years in a row. Plus you seem to forget John "Mr.Horrible Contract" Ferguson Jr and the mess he left with players like Blake and Toskala.

I can't stand people who won't give credit where credit is due, until we win a cup. It's a very sad thing.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Scarecrow Boat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0PqYd0ieQM

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 09:56 AM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espher View Post
Thanks for that pro-tip, Captain Hindsight.
Hindsight ? I hated this deal from the second it was announced and it's easy to find my comments about this trade from 09 .

Old
02-06-2012, 09:59 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Hindsight ? I hated this deal from the second it was announced and it's easy to find my comments about this trade from 09 .
I know brother, every time I see Kessel in the top 10 in scoring I cry myself to sleep dreaming of what could have been.

Old
02-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
I know brother, every time I see Kessel in the top 10 in scoring I cry myself to sleep dreaming of what could have been.
I think I might be the onlyone who doesn't like Dougie "Shoot the puck from anywhere into everyones shin pads" Hamilton. But I do like Seguins game, but I would take Kessel over Tyler any day of the week.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 10:01 AM
CellarDweller0

Quote:

So your pissed that he couldn't trade scrubs for elites like Crosby, Ovi, Ryan, etc...?

Do you really think that is how it works? Really?

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 10:04 AM
hotpaws

Quote:
Really, You don't see how Burke came in with literally nothing to work with and was able to turn that around in 4 years? The 2008 team was one of the worst in the NHL since the Ballard era. We now have 2 players in the top 10 in scoring, have 2 goalies with 5 shutouts in 12 games, a perfect PK in 2012 and are sitting in a playoff spot.

Sure we aren't a cup contending team yet, but to go from what we were, to where we are in 4 years is nothing short of amazing. it isn't like we got Malkin and Crosby 2 years in a row. Plus you seem to forget John "Mr.Horrible Contract" Ferguson Jr and the mess he left with players like Blake and Toskala.

I can't stand people who won't give credit where credit is due, until we win a cup. It's a very sad thing.
I get tired with this nothing to work with and the cap was in a mess crap .

Kabs , Antro , Schenn , Grabo , Kul , Reims , Gunner , VS , Tlusty , Hayes , Frattin , Kubina were all on our team or in our system . Plus don't forget we still had all our 1st all well as most of our other picks .

You want to talk about bad contracts ? How about Komi , Lombo , Connoly .

Old
02-06-2012, 10:06 AM
number72

Quote:

He is not overachieving with a quick rebuild nor has he created a disaster like say the Islanders are still in. Then again he has big corporate $$$ that other teams do not.

People seem to take the saying of average results to mean he is a terrible GM.
Not that means he is average. Not good nor bad just meh. Average Rebuild is Average.

Old
02-06-2012, 10:06 AM
GrizzLeaf

Quote:

The biggest problem Burke had was goaltending. He didn't even realize how bad it was until after the season had started (hence the Kessel trade). I truly believe he would have spent a ton of time and energy getting an upgrade in goal first, that summer had he known just how bad things were back there.

He said many times that you build a team from the goal crease out. That, more than anything has snakebitten this club and the rebuild.

We're seeing results now, because of goaltending. Sure, the players are also that many more games along, so they have developed chemistry and whatnot. Add in some tinkering that Burke has done to improve the line-up, yet again. But the single biggest impact on the team this season (and part of last season) has been in the crease.

I can't criticize the rebuidl or Burke's handling of it, since we all knew it would take more than a season or two. And I expected some mistakes (the Lebdas and excelbys) on his part, since contrary to popular belief, he isn't a god

But screwing up on the talent assessment in the crease is all on him. And I would even go as far as saying it added a season (year) to the rebuild. Had this team gotten at least average goaltending from the start, they would have won more games, gotten more confident, and all that builds momentum and a psychological expectation of winning (in the players).

Rebuild took about a year longer than I thought it would, but in the grand scheme of things, it looks like it'll all work out.

GrizzLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 10:08 AM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
I keep crying too seeing a 19 year old 3 zone player who's on pace for 70+ points , not to mention a big elite 2 way D prospect that ripping up the O .

But i'll take your word for how great this trade was . You were bang on when you said the Raycroft and Tosk deals were great as well .

Last edited by hotpaws: 02-06-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old
02-06-2012, 10:10 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
I get tired with this nothing to work with and the cap was in a mess crap .

Kabs , Antro , Schenn , Grabo , Kul , Reims , Gunner , VS , Tlusty , Hayes , Frattin , Kubina were all on our team or in our system . Plus don't forget we still had all our 1st all well as most of our other picks .
Doesn't look like much to work with

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 10:10 AM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by CellarDweller0 View Post
So your pissed that he couldn't trade scrubs for elites like Crosby, Ovi, Ryan, etc...?

Do you really think that is how it works? Really?
Where did I say pissed? Seriously people read. Think. For the umpteenth time Average: Being intermediate between extremes, as on a scale

He results have been average.
He is fine human being but his results to date have been average.
Not like average like he failed or is incompetent but mediocre.

Old
02-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Where did I say pissed? Seriously people read. Think. For the umpteenth time Average: Being intermediate between extremes, as on a scale

He results have been average.
He is fine human being but his results to date have been average.
Not like average like he failed or is incompetent but mediocre.
So basically you're angry because Burke hasn't learned how to spin straw into gold with every transaction he has made thus far?

Damn him for being human!

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 10:14 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
I keep crying too seeing a 19 year old 3 zone player who's on pace for 70+ points , not to mention a big elite 2 way D prospect that ripping up the O .

But i'll take your word for how great this tread was . You were bang on when you said the Raycroft and Tosk deals were great as well .
Link?

Old
02-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
I keep crying too seeing a 19 year old 3 zone player who's on pace for 70+ points , not to mention a big elite offensive D prospect that ripping up the O .

But i'll take your word for how great this teade was . You were bang on when you said the Raycroft and Tosk deals were great as well .
It's like you're rooting against the Leafs to validate your agenda. In case you're wondering, that's not very appealing.

Dayjobdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 10:15 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Perhaps this year we'll see playoffs.

No credit for getting younger even I could get the team younger.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 10:15 AM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Doesn't look like much to work with
How about adding Segs and Hamilton instead us just saying picks . Still nothing in your opinion i guess . Not surprising really coming from you .

Old
02-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
How about adding Segs and Hamilton instead us just saying picks . Still nothing in your opinion i guess . Not surprising really coming from you .
Because they were picks when the trade was made?

Can I borrow your crystal ball sometime??

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote