HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1973-74 Rangers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-01-2012, 10:03 PM
  #26
alkurtz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mahopac, NY
Posts: 894
vCash: 500
Best radio memories: straining to hear fading in and out broadcasts from Toronto and Montreal on my little transistor radio. Loved the way that the great Foster Hewitt and Danny Galivan broadcast the games.

FYO: Ratelle broke his ankle after he got hit by a shot by one of his own men....defenceman Dale Rolfe. Can still see it clear as day

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:40 AM
  #27
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,298
vCash: 500
One of my most fav Ranger teams EVVAH!

Too busy to elaborate now.
Thanks for starting this thread.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 12:03 PM
  #28
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
Trip down memory lane, my favorite Ranger team from when I was a kid, this team had 11 players with over 44 points, had two feared fighters Ron Harris and Steve Vickers, had 5 excellent defensemen, rolled 4 quality lines, and had superior goaltending.

Player GP G A Pts PIM
Brad Park 78 25 57 82 148
Gilbert, Rod 75 36 41 77 20
Stemkowski, Pete78 25 45 70 74
Ratelle, Jean 68 28 39 67 16
Tkaczuk, Walt 71 21 42 63 58
Fairbairn, Bill 78 18 44 62 12
Vickers, Steve 75 34 24 58 18
Hadfield, Vic 77 27 28 55 75
Rousseau, Bobby 72 10 41 51 4
Irvine, Ted 75 26 20 46 105
MacGregor, Bruce 66 17 27 44 6
Seiling, Rod 68 7 23 30 32
Marotte, Gilles 46 2 17 19 28
Butler, Jerry 26 6 10 16 24
Rolfe, Dale 48 3 12 15 56
Harris, Ron 63 2 12 14 25
Neilson, Jim 72 4 7 11 38
Sacharuk, Larry 23 2 4 6 4
Carr, Gene 29 1 5 6 15
Egers, Jack 28 1 3 4 6
You left out Ted Irvine as a feared fighter.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 01:35 PM
  #29
ret513
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 187
vCash: 500
Great thread..thanks for the memories!
I grew up in a L.I. neighborhood full of Rangers fanatics
Vickers was my favorite player. I remember walking a few miles with friends to Models in E.Northport to meet Walter Tkaczuk and get a signed pic for free..He was cool and loved the young fans.
It was great time and a great team!

ret513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 01:42 PM
  #30
Mio41
Ron Harris #3
 
Mio41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,441
vCash: 500
In the early 70's they practiced at Skateland, my father brought me and there was nobody there and I stood behind the Ranger net and watched my man Eddie face shots w/o a mask and they were just starting to use curved sticks then it was amazing. My father went up in the stands and talked to Emile Francis for about a 1/2 hour...great memory...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 01:43 PM
  #31
Mio41
Ron Harris #3
 
Mio41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ret513 View Post
Great thread..thanks for the memories!
I grew up in a L.I. neighborhood full of Rangers fanatics
Vickers was my favorite player. I remember walking a few miles with friends to Models in E.Northport to meet Walter Tkaczuk and get a signed pic for free..He was cool and loved the young fans.
It was great time and a great team!
When I was a kid that's all I cared about was my Rangers and all I did was play street hockey, even in the summer and I always wore my Ron Harris jersey...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 04:37 PM
  #32
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,004
vCash: 500
Just reading this thread brings back so many memories. We did a lot of the same stuff as kids. Pretty cool.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 08:30 PM
  #33
Leetch66
Registered User
 
Leetch66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PEI Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,146
vCash: 500
Vic Hadfield was my favorite Ranger back in the days...many a game of road hockey he played in after school...and living in the sticks back then...most of those games were played on a clay road ! I still have a whack of hockey cards from those years and I was able to get Jean Ratelle penned...it is a great looking card !

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:11 PM
  #34
surf
Wheres the Reggae?
 
surf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: sea bright nj
Country: United States
Posts: 1,427
vCash: 500
When are some of the kiddies here gonna start breaking down this roster and complain they should have drafted player X over Vickers?LOL...Or ask about fantasy points...

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:48 PM
  #35
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
When I was a kid that's all I cared about was my Rangers and all I did was play street hockey, even in the summer and I always wore my Ron Harris jersey...
Sounds like me right now.

Rangers and street hockey.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 10:54 PM
  #36
trilobyte
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 12,543
vCash: 500
Marv Albert calling those games on the radio is one thing that still sticks in my mind about that era of the Rangers - Marv's economical, accurate style of calling the play. He would always provide a great recap of the play and I liked the way he described the play but never got too verbally superfluous. Sportscasters talk too much, so often. They should just **** and describe the play, low key and cool.

So many players to like on those early 70's Rangers teams, but Park was just incredible, and I was blown away by how effective Walt Tkaczuk was,, probably one of the strongest players pound for pound in the NHL at the time. Bruce MacGregor was severely underrated, he was like an earlier version of Blair Betts but more offense. Obviously, I am leaving out the obvious like Ratelle, Gilbert and Hadfield. I loved how tough Hadfield was.

I really enjoyed the 1972/1973 Rangers too, especially the way they did a real number on the Bruins, eliminating them in 5 games while putting on a clinic of smart defensive hockey. They completely owned Boston in that series. Tkaczuk, Fairbairn and Vickers was one dangerous line. Vickers was one of the most complete players around, in my opinion. For me, it was sweet revenge, but no Cup (sadness).


Last edited by trilobyte: 02-04-2012 at 12:57 AM.
trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:48 PM
  #37
ret513
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
When I was a kid that's all I cared about was my Rangers and all I did was play street hockey, even in the summer and I always wore my Ron Harris jersey...
Yes...and the kids who didnt play hockey or cared for the sport later became Islander fans

ret513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:25 AM
  #38
Mio41
Ron Harris #3
 
Mio41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
Marv Albert calling those games on the radio is one thing that still sticks in my mind about that era of the Rangers - Marv's economical, accurate style of calling the play. He would always provide a great recap of the play and I liked the way he described the play but never got too verbally superfluous. Sportscasters talk too much, so often. They should just **** and describe the play, low key and cool.

So many players to like on those early 70's Rangers teams, but Park was just incredible, and I was blown away by how effective Walt Tkaczuk was,, probably one of the strongest players pound for pound in the NHL at the time. Bruce MacGregor was severely underrated, he was like an earlier version of Blair Betts but more offense. Obviously, I am leaving out the obvious like Ratelle, Gilbert and Hadfield. I loved how tough Hadfield was.

I really enjoyed the 1972/1973 Rangers too, especially the way they did a real number on the Bruins, eliminating them in 5 games while putting on a clinic of smart defensive hockey. They completely owned Boston in that series. Tkaczuk, Fairbairn and Vickers was one dangerous line. Vickers was one of the most complete players around, in my opinion. For me, it was sweet revenge, but no Cup (sadness).
How about Ron Harris playing center in the playoffs and scoring 3 goals, including an ot game winner vs. the Canadiens. Marv Albert was great, he never missed a pass or check, and I could visualize the game in my head as I listened, I miss those days!

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:27 AM
  #39
Mio41
Ron Harris #3
 
Mio41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Just reading this thread brings back so many memories. We did a lot of the same stuff as kids. Pretty cool.
I"m probably older than you, I'm 53, been a Ranger fan for 46 years...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:06 AM
  #40
Mio41
Ron Harris #3
 
Mio41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,441
vCash: 500
Just watch the Vickers-Marcotte annihilation for the 1st time in 40 years, wow what a whipping...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 10:07 AM
  #41
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
I"m probably older than you, I'm 53, been a Ranger fan for 46 years...
A LOT older.....

Your not that old Methuselah, LOL!

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.