HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Is it possible?

Old
02-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

vCash: 500
Is it possible?

Is it possible to break '94's record of 52 wins? We currently have 33 wins with 32 games remaining. We'd need to win 20 of our last 32 games to get 53 wins.

That is a .625 Win %.

Wow, I would've never thought this could happen. Will it?

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

I'd say yes, mainly because our win % right now is higher than .625.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:42 PM
KennyWu

Yes

I'd say mainly because of the shootout/no-ties era we're in.

KennyWu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 01:13 PM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

I think we can do it.

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Is it possible to break '94's record of 52 wins? We currently have 33 wins with 32 games remaining. We'd need to win 20 of our last 32 games to get 53 wins.

That is a .625 Win %.

Wow, I would've never thought this could happen. Will it?
We more than likely won't do it and even if we did, this team is a far cry from the '94 team!

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
We more than likely won't do it and even if we did, this team is a far cry from the '94 team!
So you're saying that this is a bad hockey team?

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Placid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
I dont think he is saying that

Personally, i'd say that if the Rangers had an "average NHL goalie", the win percentage would have easily been below .500..

Hank has "stolen" a truckload of games that the Rangers had no business winning this season

Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:00 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
The 94 team's offense beats us by a country mile but I'd definitely take 12's goaltending and defense. It is possible for this team to get 53+ wins.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Gatorade*

Doubt it. Biron will lose a few down the stretch.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Drew, buddy, it's ok. It's ok to believe. This is a different Rangers team. They won't hurt you anymore.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 07:55 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
The 94 team's offense beats us by a country mile but I'd definitely take 12's goaltending and defense. It is possible for this team to get 53+ wins.
I agree about the goaltending but the defense? I'd take the 94 defense. We forget how good they really were. If we're talking for one play-off run I go 94 because of the ages of everyone but Leetch and Zubov. If we're talking about building a team the arguement is a little different but there is no one on this team anywhere near where Leetch and Zubov were.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 08:09 PM
darko

We can. We are on pace to break it.

I don't think we will though. Pretty tough schedule rest of the way. (17 games in 30 days in March - that's a killer).

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Giacomin

The way the Rangers have been playing I think they can do it. I like the fact that the Rangers seem to rebound off a bad game by winning 5 in a row which has happened several times this season.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 11:02 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
I agree about the goaltending but the defense? I'd take the 94 defense. We forget how good they really were. If we're talking for one play-off run I go 94 because of the ages of everyone but Leetch and Zubov. If we're talking about building a team the arguement is a little different but there is no one on this team anywhere near where Leetch and Zubov were.
You have a very valid point about Leetch and Zubov. Especially Leetch... The rangers will probably never have another defenseman as great as him. This year's D ain't no slouch though, and the truth is that their full potential hasn't been seen yet with Sauer still out. We haven't had a 100% healthy D-core all year.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Not quite. The success of this team is 100% related to hard work and accountability which means that everyone has been totally buying into Tortorella's system. The only parallel between this team and 94's team is the hard work, sacrifice and effort put forth by both teams night in and night out.

The 94 team had much more offensive talent and playoff experience overall but this current team has a special chemistry and bond amongst the players that is clearly evident on the ice.

Old
02-06-2012, 11:37 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Drew, buddy, it's ok. It's ok to believe. This is a different Rangers team. They won't hurt you anymore.
Lol, thanks! I agree wholeheartedly that this current team has a special bond and chemistry amongst the players that has been forged thru hard work and sacrifice. The team has become an extension of their coach and has taken on his "take no prisoners" personality.

While the win record would be nice, I'd much rather see them have playoff success and win a cup.

Old
02-07-2012, 12:00 AM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
Leetch
Zubov
Lowe
Beuk
Lidster
Karpovtsev
Wells

vs.

Girardi
McD
Staal
MDZ
Sauer
Eminger/Strahlman/Bickel

Leetch/Zubov aside, people forget how good Kevin Lowe was (even if he did wear plastic skates).

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:35 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Lol, thanks! I agree wholeheartedly that this current team has a special bond and chemistry amongst the players that has been forged thru hard work and sacrifice. The team has become an extension of their coach and has taken on his "take no prisoners" personality.

While the win record would be nice, I'd much rather see them have playoff success and win a cup.
Congratulations my friend, that's the most positive post I've seen from you yet!

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:55 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Congratulations my friend, that's the most positive post I've seen from you yet!
I believe in this team but I still feel that we are short offensively. I don't want to see the team get blown up by giving away too much at the deadline but we desperately need to get a legit guy who can fill the need at least temporarily vis a vie a rental.

We have discussed this point ad infinitum and I believe that we need to go for it this year because of the uncertainty with a potential lockout looming when the CBA expires in sept.

That being said, who do you go after at the deadline? I'm not in love with Ruutu and I don't want to overpay for a guy like Ryan. I could see a player like Ray Whitney who despite being 39+ yrs old has produced everywhere he's been and is having another terrific year. Will he be available? I'd love players like Shane Doan or Steve Downey but who knows if they'll be available and at what price.

My biggest concern/fear is god forbid we get picked off in the 1st round yet again; we have to win at least a round or two for this season to be considered a success.

I'll be there tonite in section 411; this is really a big game because if the Devils win, they'd be only 6 points behind us!

Thanks for the kind words; speak to you soon.

Old
02-07-2012, 08:09 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Remove the games the rangers won in a shootout and go from there. There were no shootout victories in '94.

Not sure how many games the Rangers have won in the shootout so far this season.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:17 AM
arunnair87

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Remove the games the rangers won in a shootout and go from there. There were no shootout victories in '94.

Not sure how many games the Rangers have won in the shootout so far this season.
We won 3 and lost 4.

arunnair87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:21 AM
mahonistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Leetch
Zubov
Lowe
Beuk
Lidster
Karpovtsev
Wells

vs.

Girardi
McD
Staal
MDZ
Sauer
Eminger/Strahlman/Bickel

Leetch/Zubov aside, people forget how good Kevin Lowe was (even if he did wear plastic skates).
i was pissed when they traded zubov. then pittsburgh made an even dumber trade and traded him for kevin hatcher

mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:25 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunnair87 View Post
We won 3 and lost 4.
So if there were still ties instead of shootouts the Rangers would have 68 points now instead of 71 correct? and 30 wins?

JoeRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
I believe in this team but I still feel that we are short offensively. I don't want to see the team get blown up by giving away too much at the deadline but we desperately need to get a legit guy who can fill the need at least temporarily vis a vie a rental.

We have discussed this point ad infinitum and I believe that we need to go for it this year because of the uncertainty with a potential lockout looming when the CBA expires in sept.

That being said, who do you go after at the deadline? I'm not in love with Ruutu and I don't want to overpay for a guy like Ryan. I could see a player like Ray Whitney who despite being 39+ yrs old has produced everywhere he's been and is having another terrific year. Will he be available? I'd love players like Shane Doan or Steve Downey but who knows if they'll be available and at what price.

My biggest concern/fear is god forbid we get picked off in the 1st round yet again; we have to win at least a round or two for this season to be considered a success.

I'll be there tonite in section 411; this is really a big game because if the Devils win, they'd be only 6 points behind us!

Thanks for the kind words; speak to you soon.
Yeah, the offense has me concerned as well. And the PP is in a shambles. If that aspect gets hot...look out. We'll smash the record. But, this team is trudging along mostly riding the backs of their Defensive soldiers and having a brick wall in net. I think they can get close, but several players need to start finding their scoring game again.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:10 AM
McRanger

The defensive personnel was much better in '94 and much much better offensively.

The '12 Rangers plays a better team defensive game. And I would take this goaltending.

'94 offense blows this teams away, but I might rather have this team protecting a 1 goal lead.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote