HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Two Things Are Obvious

View Poll Results: Who Do The Rangers Make A Run At This Summer?
Ryan Suter 9 8.11%
Zach Parise 54 48.65%
Neither 48 43.24%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Cmox

vCash: 500
I've always felt that Parise is a long shot but after Joe or whoever said he trains with Stepan in the off season made me believe that maybe there is as chance.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:53 PM
rmcg11

since there's no chance in hell that our 21 year old defenseman who already has 25 pts(only 3 points less than sutter) can develop to be a better offensive defenseman lets commit like 6 mill in ufa money to a player whos probably going to be less effective than a player on our roster within 3 years.

We can't afford that big ticket free agent till one comes off the books.
Use Wolski's expiring salary to go after a player in that same salary range thats actually worth it(a Brad Boyes or maybe a Tuomo Ruutu).
If they're looking for two much maybe try to give a player like Shane Doan a one year deal. That way we're not commiting too much money thats going to handcuff us when our rfa's are looking for raises two years from now.

Don't get me wrong Id love to have either Suter or Parise on this team but they just don't fit.

rmcg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

i dont understand the notion around here that we have to spend every dollar or close to it each offseason. does anyone realize del zotto stepan and mcdonagh are going to rfa in the next two years and all together would probably come to a cap hit close to what we would sign parise or weber for...

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Affinity

Neither. Boy do we have some delusional fans.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:04 AM
pld459666

I think they go and get Parise as he is exactly what this team needs.

As for potential cap issues 2 summers from now, if Parise is for us what he is for the Devils and Hagelin continues to get better and Kreider gives us even 20+ goals and 40+ points. Brandon Dubinsky and his 4 million become the odd man out.

In a capped world, these issues are going to crop up. That's why it's more important than EVER to ensure that we draft good talent and properly develope that talent so that tough decisions like trading a Dubinsky or an Anisimov don't really set the franchise back.

Additionally, moving one of those guys to replenish the system is probably the best way ensure long-term viability in terms of being a cup contender.

I'm not worried about the 2013 summer on July 1st 2012. Sorry. I'm not.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I think they go and get Parise as he is exactly what this team needs.

As for potential cap issues 2 summers from now, if Parise is for us what he is for the Devils and Hagelin continues to get better and Kreider gives us even 20+ goals and 40+ points. Brandon Dubinsky and his 4 million become the odd man out.

In a capped world, these issues are going to crop up. That's why it's more important than EVER to ensure that we draft good talent and properly develope that talent so that tough decisions like trading a Dubinsky or an Anisimov don't really set the franchise back.

Additionally, moving one of those guys to replenish the system is probably the best way ensure long-term viability in terms of being a cup contender.

I'm not worried about the 2013 summer on July 1st 2012. Sorry. I'm not.
Very nice job articulating what my thoughts are on this topic. You have to go for it now because we don't know what the future holds especially with the CBA set to expire on sept.15th and a pending lockout more than likely to happen.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
The PP could click at anytime... PPs are like that. Either way this team thrives on defense and hustle, which is the way to go because those are team dynamics rather than individual skill.

As for the poll - Another top 6 winger like Parise would make this team ridiculously good. If it means you trade Dubi then so be it.

Parise > Dubi

You can trade, buy low, draft another player to fill Dubis role. Players like 100% Zach Parise rarely become available.
Damn skippy! You hit the nail right on the head.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 04:22 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
This is a list of players with known hard slap shots who are RH and are all UFAs:
-Teemu Selanne
-Jarret Stoll
-Ales Kotalik
-Pavel Kubina
-Kurtis Foster
You can have him.. right now.

In fact, this may be the only deal the Devils would be willing to trade Parise to the NYR:

Parise + Foster for whoever and whatever

Guy is terrible defensively and more often than not is the reason we give up goals. Not to mention he's terrible at the point on the PP. He has a good shot but he can't cycle very well and his inability to keep the puck in leads to too many SH goals/chances. Benched last night after giving up a horrid SHG and its been a long time coming. Go take a look at our boards and notice that one of the most popular threads is talking about how we need to get rid of Foster ASAP.

Take himmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Very nice job articulating what my thoughts are on this topic. You have to go for it now because we don't know what the future holds especially with the CBA set to expire on sept.15th and a pending lockout more than likely to happen.
I don't think a GM who plans year by year is a good GM. You have to take a look at the big picture. If you sign Parise (or anyone this summer) to a huge $7 cap hit.. you are shooting yourselves in the foot for the following off season.

Too many RFAs to sign, too many important core players to sign, too many up and coming players to sign... you severely handcuff your ability to retain the very core that makes signing Parise a smart move in the first place (i.e. one that is competing for a cup).

I've said a few times on this board that if Parise doesn't re-sign with us.. I would eventually be OK with him signing with you guys. It would absolutely suck seeing him in a Rangers jersey and having to play against him so much.. but I believe it would ultimately lead to a negative transformation of your defensive core.

That, combined with the pretty good chances the cap goes DOWN (hence exacerbating the problems), makes it not such a good idea for you guys. Ryan would be a better option or even Carter at this point cap wise.

Also, where'd you get the idea that a lockout is more likely than not to happen? I mean, its going to be a ***** of a CBA negotiations but I'd put a pretty large sum of money that the NHL doesn't want to repeat 2004-2005 after seeing how it almost destroyed the league and all (as well as the lockout's effect on the NBA this season..).

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Kershaw

If there is a cap concern, I'm sure the Rangers will let Gaborik walk the offseason where Stepan and McDonagh need raises. It'll be well worth trading Gaborik for Parise in this line up.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Geffres
@geffres on twitter

ive said it once ill say it again, its fine if we lose dubi to get Parise, im fine with that

Geffres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 03:11 AM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geffres View Post
ive said it once ill say it again, its fine if we lose dubi to get Parise, im fine with that
Would you rather have Dubi at 4 mill or Parise at 6.5? To me it's simple -- you take Parise and save the 2.5 mill somewhere else.

We'd get plenty of takers for Dubi, too. He's on a decent contract for what he brings and would probably net us a high pick + good prospect.

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 06:58 AM
beastly115

Wow, as much as people complained about Sather buying up all the big name free agents pre-lockout, they sure want him to revert to his old ways.

Let's try to buy a cup because that worked out so well for us!

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:53 AM
WeWillWinTonight

Should have passed on Richards and went hard for Parise

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Leetch66

The time is RIGHT NOW...don't wait for Crosby to stand in our way next season and possibly a career ending injury to Hank or whatever . The door only remains open for a short period ...just ask the Ottawa Senator fans who watched the window of opportunity pass them by because they would never pull the trigger to get that one big piece which was a goalie for them and now they just are a run of the mill team . Go get St Louis for some pics and Dubi but retain Kreider while doing so since he is so highly thought of . Instead give up Erixon since the Bolts need help on D . Get er done Slats !

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Dorado*

As long as MSL is willing to play he will be a bolt for 2 reasons , 1. TB is his home and were the only team to give a chance and with them he has won , The Cup , The Hart and the Scoring Title . 2. As long as Stamkos is a Bolt MSL will be the guy on the PP feathering cross the box saucers on a tee for him to have in the back of the net before you can blink . MSL is a pass first RW whose career has had a major resurgence with Stamkos . He has won his cup and all the big awards and has lived in TB a long time he has no reason to leave . Also on the NYR MSL would see a huge drop in performance . He has always had a gunner on his line and while he is listed as a RW is more a playmaker . We have no gunners , we have plumbers . Even Gaborik relies on finding seams , and loose pucks to score not by the one timer . Not a good fit , and MSL is one if my all time favorite players and in my mind one I the best players of his generation . Just because Torts coached him with Tampa doesn't me he would be any good here .... See Brad Richards who is floundering right now in the quagmire called the NYR offense and PP

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Shadowrunner

Double post

Old
02-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Shadowrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
Wow, as much as people complained about Sather buying up all the big name free agents pre-lockout, they sure want him to revert to his old ways.

Let's try to buy a cup because that worked out so well for us!
I don't agree. In the dark ages he would plug holes with FAs because we had no kids that could realistically play. The Sabres of today are the Rangers of old.

This time around we're making sound additions to supplement an already existing core. We don't "need" a top line LW as much as we "could use" one. And that's when you have to make a callas to who's going to give the team a better shot at winning: a homegrown 55 pt player 4 mill/year, or a PPG monster at 6.5 mill/year.

If you can make the latter work, you do it.

Old
02-04-2012, 11:00 AM
sickboy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillWinTonight View Post
yeah cuz we r doing soo bad with him in the line up? Really thats waht ur goin with? there is no pleasing some of u people. what about the fact that not one big time Devil has ever played good for us, maybe John Maclean but thats it.

sickboy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:01 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
Contrary to popular belief, the power play personal is not the problem. It is the system. Sure another weapon on the PP wouldn't hurt but the painfully obvious problem is the set up of the PP.
Agreed. At this point, it has to be the coaching. There is no other explanation for a team that has Richards, Gaborik, Callahan, Stepan, and Del Zotto, amongst others on it to have a power play that's one of the worst 5 in the league. Going out and getting another rental defenseman that's ok at moving the puck but is suspect defensively will end up being a wash at best.

With all that said, I know the Rangers are going to throw an offer at Parise. But I think they have a better chance at landing Suter. I might be in the minority, but he fits a team need more than Parise does. Add Suter, and you have him, Staal, McDonagh, and Girardi that are capable top pairing guys. Can you imagine having four defensemen on the team that can log 25+ minutes a game? Henrik would win Vezinas left and right.

Last edited by I Eat Crow: 02-04-2012 at 11:06 AM.
I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:04 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Agreed. At this point, it has to be the coaching. There is no other explanation for a team that has Richards, Gaborik, Callahan, Stepan, and Del Zotto, amongst others on it to have a power play that's one of the worst 5 in the league. Going out and getting another rental defenseman that's ok at moving the puck but is suspect defensively will end up being a wash at best.

With all that said, I know the Rangers are going to throw an offer at Parise. But I think they have a better chance at landing Suter. I might be in the minority, but he fits a team need more than Parise does. Add Suter, and you have him, Staal, McDonagh, and Girardi that are capable top pairing guys. Can you imagine having four defensemen on the team that can log 25+ minutes a game? Henrik would win Vezinas left and right.
If they signed Suter, they'd trade Sauer or Girardi. And Sauer's value is low right now with his recurring head problems. Hang on to the 6.5-7.5 million, keep our defense as is, and retain Eminger.

Next year's defense:

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer
Del Zotto-Erixon
Eminger

Why fill a hole that doesn't need to be filled? That money can be spent elsewhere and actually fill a need for us. Or we can be 5-8 million under the cap for once, have some flexibility at the next deadline, and hang on to the money to give raises to McDonagh and Stepan. If we're still significantly under the cap, we can go after a Crosby, Getzlaf or Perry in the offseason of 2013 and make room for one of them. But if you're signing Suter this offseason, you risk losing cap flexibility for the long term as well as risking a Stepan/McDonagh offer sheet, or the chance to sign a premier forward whose topped 100 points. Parise this off-season I can see, and I'd be fine with depending on his cap number, but please stay away from Ryan Suter. Remember Chris Kreider will likely be on this team next year and I'd like to see if he can prove himself from the start.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:56 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy35 View Post
yeah cuz we r doing soo bad with him in the line up? Really thats waht ur goin with? there is no pleasing some of u people. what about the fact that not one big time Devil has ever played good for us, maybe John Maclean but thats it.
I wouldn't be so quick to attribute our success to Richards.

Just saying Parise is a lot more valuable than Brad

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:04 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
I don't know how plausible this is, but a trade for Bobby Ryan would also be a good choice.
Yes, except BR would cost assets.

Went with neither, given current roster.

A big salary (obviously not Gaborik or Richards, therefore Dubi/Girardi must be moved to create space. Then we can think about one more, and we have to be careful, we'll be stuck with our roster and need $$$ to pay expiring ELCs.)

Most we can hope for is a 1 yr sweetheart deal from Parise to stick it to LL + NJ.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:07 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Yes, except BR would cost assets.

Went with neither, given current roster.

A big salary (obviously not Gaborik or Richards, therefore Dubi/Girardi must be moved to create space. Then we can think about one more, and we have to be careful, we'll be stuck with our roster and need $$$ to pay expiring ELCs.)

Most we can hope for is a 1 yr sweetheart deal from Parise to stick it to LL + NJ.
I'd rather trade Staal over Girardi.
Girardi gives you about the same as Staal, is cheaper, plays the right side and has less trade value...

Staal could be used to get some pretty nice assets...

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:09 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillWinTonight View Post
I agree...9 years for a 31 year old = bad idea...
There should be a strict rule in the organization against signing people to UFA contracts LT on the wrong side of 30...

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

I say neither... We need cap space to sign our RFA's and resign Hank when his contract is up.. Think future cause we still have some prospects we are going to want to re-sign.

Tony D63 is offline   Reply With Quote