HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

's Source: "I was told one of either Carter or Nash will be moved shortly"

Old
02-06-2012, 11:23 AM
golffuul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant View Post
Carter to the Leafs, book it.
There is nothing the Leafs have that Columbus could possibly be interested in. So unless Toronto can include a 3rd team in the deal, there is no way the Maple Leafs can get carter.

I'm sure that Toronto would love to dump a bunch of players and b-prospects on Columbus, but I can't imagine Columbus' management committing professional suicide by doing that.

golffuul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 11:25 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rs3 View Post
Nino Niederreiter + 2nd rnd for Carter

I don't hear many proposals involved the NYI. Islanders have been playing decent hockey and could still make a push for the playoffs. Carter coming in might give their fan base something to be excited about other than Tavares. I just think it'd work if Nino was back on a line with Johansen. They did pretty well in Portland together. I know it doesn't fit our needs, but Nino-Johansen-Yakupov would be a pretty good line.
I think Carter is going to be grouchy in NYI for the same reason he's supposedly grumpy in CBus. He doesn't seem interested in going to an "Up and coming" or "rebuilding" team. The Isles are a longshot to make the playoffs, and if they do some how miraculously get in, they're not going anywhere this season.

For Carter to be effective, it seems he needs to be on a team that is already "there."

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by golffuul View Post
There is nothing the Leafs have that Columbus could possibly be interested in. So unless Toronto can include a 3rd team in the deal, there is no way the Maple Leafs can get carter.

I'm sure that Toronto would love to dump a bunch of players and b-prospects on Columbus, but I can't imagine Columbus' management committing professional suicide by doing that.
Hey now, let's not be unreasonable. Toronto does have pieces that we'd like for Carter. Personally, I have a great deal of interest in Gunnarsson and Schenn. Whether they'd part with the right pieces though, is a different matter entirely.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 11:30 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:

i disagree...i think a deal around Schenn or Gunnarsson would interest the Jackets...but...with that said, i doubt the leafs are all that interested because of Carter's rep\relationship with Lupul, along with his contract.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 11:37 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:

well clb is in last place and the leafs are in the playoff hunt, saying we have nothing columbus would be interested in is a very bold statement indeed.

IF toronto wanted Carter we have the assets to do it (we have roster players such as connolly lombo mcarthur who could be traded, also have prospects in aulie, blacker, frattin, colborne, kadri) however, i see a trade more like this for Carter:

1st
salary dump
b level prospect

Columbus was dumb to take him on, who would be happy if they had the situation carter is in? No one will pay a premium for him like Columbus did.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
well clb is in last place and the leafs are in the playoff hunt, saying we have nothing columbus would be interested in is a very bold statement indeed.

IF toronto wanted Carter we have the assets to do it (we have roster players such as connolly lombo mcarthur who could be traded, also have prospects in aulie, blacker, frattin, colborne, kadri) however, i see a trade more like this for Carter:

1st
salary dump
b level prospect

Columbus was dumb to take him on, who would be happy if they had the situation carter is in? No one will pay a premium for him like Columbus did.
I do agree that the Leafs could put together a good package for Carter, if Burke thinks that's the way to go.

That being the case though, I don't think that the Jackets paid a premium for Carter. Obviously - he's struggled this year, mcuh of which IMO is due to injuries. Carter is a top 5 goalscorer over the last 5 years, and he's locked up long term at a bargain rate. Obviously, a couple of those last years might not be such a bargain, but I think he should "overproduce" his contract over the entire term.

I don't see the Jackets moving Carter at a firesale price - which is what you appear to be looking for. I understand that from your perspective - the Jackets paid a premium for him, but I don't see how a mid round 1st round DP, and a B prapect is anywhere close to his value. That's the going rate for a 20 game rental like Ruutu. Just my $.02.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:21 PM
93gilmour93

Quote:

I'm pretty sure columbus would have interest in the players of 29 other teams right now. You think the jackets wouldn't love to have some of the leafs players right now.

93gilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Toe Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Yes, and going about it all wrong. Each year the team puts on a late season surge after the games don't matter, and racks up enough points to finish somewhere in the top 8. Usually one behind the "can't miss" prospects, and if this team has proven anything, it is that if it can miss with a prospect it will.

We know we won't get fair value for almost anybody on the roster. They're all overpaid, and Howson is desperate and the other GM's will eat him alive. It's bad drafting combined with bad asset management combined with bad contracts which have sunk this team. It was listed earlier in this thread, all of the bad draft picks that this team has had over the years. The problem is each one of those draft picks has been the result of horrible seasons that the fans have had to endure.

in 02-03 The Fans endured 45 losses, and watched that pick get traded for a middle pairing defenseman

in 03-04 the Fans endured 49 losses, and later watched that 8th overall pick get traded for the 199th overall pick

in 07-08 the Fans endured 48 losses and were forced to be thrilled when that was turned into a 3rd round pick.

2006-2007 and 2009-2010, The fans endured a combined 100 losses, and watched those 100 losses get turned into Jeff Carter, a player we'll be lucky to get a backup goaltender and 3rd round pick for.

A teardown and a rebuild from scratch is going to take a long time, and while the team has a secure future in the city now that the lease issue is settled, you have to wonder how well it will fare now that the long time fans have been alienated over how this all happened.

It's one thing to lose. Its another thing entirely to lose and get absolutely nothing of value for it. This is what Columbus has done throughout it's entire existence.
Great post

Toe Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 View Post
I'm pretty sure columbus would have interest in the players of 29 other teams right now. You think the jackets wouldn't love to have some of the leafs players right now.
Inb4 MacArthur Kadri and 2nd.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
No one will pay a premium for him like Columbus did.
Then he won't be traded. It isn't really complicated.

Old
02-06-2012, 01:58 PM
CBJ103

Nash will not be traded. To summarize again :
1) His value in Columbus is presently so much higher than it would be anywhere else that no other team will be willing to pay what it would take to make such a trade happen (nor, from a value standpoint, should they).
2) The management team in Columbus (Priest/Howson) does not have the courage or ability to make such a trade happen. It would alienate a not-insignificant portion of the current seat license holders and this management will not do that.

I'm not saying that a Nash trade wouldn't lead to more success in the future which is obviously what the franchise needs. I don't know if it would or not. I do know that the CBJ aren't going to take that risk, at least not this year.

Carter will likely not be traded either. It would require a top-pairing defenseman or a set of very high picks coming back and I don't see a team out there who will make that move.

CBJ103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:02 PM
93gilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
And if he's asked to be moved then what? Was it not reported that he wasn't to thrilled to be traded to columbus.

93gilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Halibut

I could see the Flames going after Carter, but it likely wouldnt be until the draft unless it involves Bouwmeester. Do the two contracts cancel out? Could Calgary's blueline survive the loss of Jay?

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:07 PM
umwoz

The loss of Jay Bouwmeester doesn't cripple anybody's blue line.

umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:11 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
The loss of Jay Bouwmeester doesn't cripple anybody's blue line.
Dont be so ignorant.

It absolutely cripples the flames defense, and a 1 for 1 trade would do absolutely nothing for the flames in terms of ownership's "win now mandate"

Jay Bouwmeester is still a top pairing defender in this league, and easily the most important player on our defense.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:48 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Did Columbus pay a "premium" for Carter?

I thought the price was pretty fair. Neither too high, nor too low.

Frankly, if the CBJ do trade Carter, I think they score a pretty fair return too. Certainly not an overpayment, but I don't think they'll sell him at deep discount either.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
And just in support of this notion... just 'cause we've got him on the market doesn't mean we're going to take the next deal that comes across. The big difference between now and a few months before w/r/t Jackets demands for a Carter trade is that now we're calling GMs instead of GMs calling us. The price has yet to drop to two middling prospects and a draft pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 View Post
And if he's asked to be moved then what? Was it not reported that he wasn't to thrilled to be traded to columbus.
Take off the "to columbus" bit and your statement is accurate. It wasn't the destination - he didn't want to leave Philly at all.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Dont be so ignorant.

It absolutely cripples the flames defense, and a 1 for 1 trade would do absolutely nothing for the flames in terms of ownership's "win now mandate"

Jay Bouwmeester is still a top pairing defender in this league, and easily the most important player on our defense.
Yeah he's getting a ton of ice time and I dont think they want to trade him. That's why a move in the offseason would make a lot more sense once they've cleared away a ton of cap space through all the UFA's moving on. Only problem is I dont know what they would have left that would interest Columbus as a trading partner.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Yeah he's getting a ton of ice time and I dont think they want to trade him. That's why a move in the offseason would make a lot more sense once they've cleared away a ton of cap space through all the UFA's moving on. Only problem is I dont know what they would have left that would interest Columbus as a trading partner.
Nothing, really. JayBo's shutdown skillset is exactly what we need.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote