HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are we really as bad as our record this year?

Old
02-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Failing Hands

vCash: 500
Are we really as bad as our record this year?

Here are just a few stats I came across. I know everyone is saying blow up the team, but we really have been unlucky too this year I feel.

11th in the League in goals against/game
19th in the League in goals/game (only .03 goals off 15th)

With all that, take into account we have the worst powerplay in the League and 29th in the League when scoring first with a .440 win %.

I really think maintaining that lead has been the major difference between playoffs and no playoffs. I think it has gotten to the players heads when they get a lead and over-think things when they are ahead.

I dunno, I just think we are not that bad a team considering all the injuries we've had. Next year will be a better year.

However, I do think Gauthier is a cancer and the Habs need to get rid of him before he makes things a whole lot worse. There are pieces there to win the Cup. Just hope our GM doesn't ruin that.

Failing Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

No, if our powerplay was even around the middle of the pack and if we weren't so bad in shootouts we could've been close to, or even in a playoff spot right now.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Joe Cole

I have not liked the roster make up of this team for a long time. There have always been bright spots, but not enough.

Yes, they are as bad as their record indicates.

A good team is consistent, the Habs are not.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Andy

Nope.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:12 PM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

I know people are tired of hearing that but we are really, really unlucky. If they don't shoot themselves in the foot in terms of trade and get a good coach, we can compete as soon as next year with a similar roster.

Go look at the goal differentials of the teams around us, we aren't anywhere near as bad as them.

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

No we're not. I don't know how many games, early this year under Martin ,where we were left scratching our heads as to how we came out without the victory. I remember one game versus Buffalo we had more scoring chances than they had shots, and we still lost.

I mean, every team will lose some games they deserved to win, but it happened way too frequently this year for us. Every team will also win game they deserve to lose, I don't recall the Habs ever doing that this year.

Our PP has been horrendous as well. To the point where it seems they aren't even trying anymore. It's like the players worry more about not allowing a shorthanded goal as opposed to scoring one. The lack of personnel movement on the PP is a real head scratcher. I do not understand why Cole-DD-MaxPac have been put together on the PP to begin with, but it seems our coaching staff is satisfied with that combination seeing how they haven't been changed since forever. It's really unacceptable that we are dead last on the PP, and is a testament to how poor our coaching staff have been. Weber, PK and Kaberle are good PP players. Emelin proved to be one as well last year in Russia. I mean, we don't have to be top 5, not even 10, but hey, at least mid-range. With a 17.5% (15th place PP percentage), we'd have scored 10 extra goals on the year. That certainly could have translated to a couple more victories.
Our Shootout efficiency is at an all time low as well. Price who's usually been good in them, has been pretty bad.

Our record would already be better if we still had Martin. So, that alone tells you we're not as bad as our record shows.
If we simply improved our PP and Shootout efficiency on top of it, which is very doable, then we'd be even better.

Last edited by Kriss E: 02-06-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:18 PM
PricePkPatch

Probably not. Like you said, bad motivational coaching and disastrous PP.

But don't try to make any rival fanbase admit it.. They'll want to gloat about it, and no argumentation will convince them to pass the opportunity.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:20 PM
habitue*

Florida have about the same stats than the habs in goal for and against and they have 10 more points + they are leading their division. That team is no better than the Habs. No way !

injuries, bad training camp, did not help at all.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Not as bad, but we aren't a great team by any means.

Yes the PP would probably make us a 7-8th place team, but I wouldn't consider that a good team. Just a bubble team.

The top 5 pick (if everything stays the same) should do us a wealth of wonder. Another high quality, possible franchise player would be just what the doctor ordered for the franchise.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:26 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Nope.
This and NO !

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Yes. 'Cause last time I check the PP was part of a team's play. And since there's always a last team in every stat, our team is as bad based on the fact that we don't have what it takes to have a better PP.

Thing is in the end, if we finish with 12 points out of 8th place, it only means 6 wins. In 2009-2010, Isles were able to have a 5th pick and yet only had 5 less wins than us in 2009. Usually it is more than that, yet, it's not like we finish with 30 points less than the 8th place team.

We do have underperforming players all over this lineup. We had underperforming coaches and GM's as well. It is what it is. Unless we, again, want to use the injuries as an excuse, which does NOT work 'cause Pittsburgh has had injuries of their own, we keep saying how Philly is solely Pronger AND they have no goalies etc...Luck? Well that doesn't work. Just go visit every team who is struggling right now and they keep talking about that, poor refereeing and all......

What people are mistaken is that the real question is "If our lineup at his best would be better than it is"...well of course it would. Just like most of the NHL lineup though. But based on reality, with only 1 line up front, with a struggling D, with a great but not saviour goalie, we are CLEARLY, THIS YEAR, just as bad as it does indicate it. Again, we are just 11 points from 8th with 30 games left...that's 60 points. So "just as bad" doesn't mean, YET, incredibly awful despite all this underachieving performances we are witnessing so far.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

No we aren't, but every team can say 'oh if this guy had a better season, oh if we didn't have this injury, etc.'

It's an excuse for losers.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:37 PM
EmelinBOOM74
NHL Managerial Guru

We are not as bad as our record shows. Our captain has missed most of the season, and underachieved greatly when he was dressed. Our best defenseman hasn't played a single minute all season. At the start of the season, assistant coach Perry Pearn was fired and later Jacques Martin was fired. Cammalleri & Plekanec both underachieved during the first half. Our players have never gotten into a rythym with a completely healthy roster.

The maturation of Diaz and Emelin will be a big plus going forward especially with Gill becoming a UFA. Our record is not a reflection of our roster or team, it is merely a representation of underachievment.

EmelinBOOM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Bobs your uncle

Pretty much ...

Bobs your uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Intense

the two highest paid players on the roster :

1 - Hasn't scored a single goal this season (Gomez)
2 - Hasn't played a single game this season (Markov)

Intense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:54 PM
gusfring

Yes. You are what you are...

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:55 PM
larek

does it really matter? Canadiens are where they are- excuses or questions are not going to change it- much rather be where they are now than where they have been the last so many years- im not just a fan anymore thats staisfied with average to below average- seen enough of that to last a lifetime- NO- habs need a change in all possible ways - new people new ideas new way of building this team

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Coldplay
Courage

**** no. We're a playoff-calibre team.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Failing Hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Yes. 'Cause last time I check the PP was part of a team's play. And since there's always a last team in every stat, our team is as bad based on the fact that we don't have what it takes to have a better PP.

Thing is in the end, if we finish with 12 points out of 8th place, it only means 6 wins. In 2009-2010, Isles were able to have a 5th pick and yet only had 5 less wins than us in 2009. Usually it is more than that, yet, it's not like we finish with 30 points less than the 8th place team.

We do have underperforming players all over this lineup. We had underperforming coaches and GM's as well. It is what it is. Unless we, again, want to use the injuries as an excuse, which does NOT work 'cause Pittsburgh has had injuries of their own, we keep saying how Philly is solely Pronger AND they have no goalies etc...Luck? Well that doesn't work. Just go visit every team who is struggling right now and they keep talking about that, poor refereeing and all......

What people are mistaken is that the real question is "If our lineup at his best would be better than it is"...well of course it would. Just like most of the NHL lineup though. But based on reality, with only 1 line up front, with a struggling D, with a great but not saviour goalie, we are CLEARLY, THIS YEAR, just as bad as it does indicate it. Again, we are just 11 points from 8th with 30 games left...that's 60 points. So "just as bad" doesn't mean, YET, incredibly awful despite all this underachieving performances we are witnessing so far.
That's a valid point, but I think Markov's injury affects us even more because we lack that depth than Pittsburgh has. Just look at how inexperienced our defensive core is. Markov is the powerplay magician. Our powerplay just looks like they're always trying to force things. Markov knew how to settle things down and, often, teams would opt to double team him which opens another man up on the pp. Makes a huge difference, IMO. We've already surpassed the number of injured player games from last year a few games ago. Says a lot.

There are still pieces missing, but I do think that there are some positives on this team as well. It's definitely not all bad. Kaberle was a huge mistake though.

Failing Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 04:01 PM
HTTP 400

vCash: 3601
Standings are the only way to measure success. So clearly, the Habs are as bad as their record.

But still. Habs are -8 overall this year in goals for/goals against. They are surrounded by teams with -28, -28, -25, -26, -21. One can see it this way: Habs have been closer than any other "bad team" to winning those few games that put them out of the playoffs.

In short : the situation is that bad, but the team isn't. We'll be in the playoffs next year.

Last edited by HTTP 400: 02-06-2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: sp
HTTP 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 04:03 PM
MathMan

There's many strong indications that the Habs are not nearly as bad as their record, starting with the goal differential, and the 9-21 record in games decided by one goal or one goal plus empty-netter.

Something to consider, certainly, before the whole thing just gets blown up.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 04:06 PM
sharks9

Not at all. With a couple good moves and a high draft pick we'll be back in the playoffs next year.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

In addition to the stats line, I tend to see a lot of our games where the opposition just doesn't look that impressive. Winnipeg for one is a team that simply IS NOT better than us. But they have more points. Even when we play Toronto or Ottawa, I don't see those teams being better. I think our team has just lost more than its fair share of "unlucky" games. Or been "less opportune" in clutch moments. Or something like that. Every team has wins it deserved to lose and losses it deserved to win... but it only takes 5 additional games of imbalance in that cosmic karma for the Habs to be 15th instead of in the hunt.

I'd like to be "in the hunt" because I'd like to see the team make the playoffs. But teams in the hunt also miss out. And I guess the silver lining to our "unluckiness" is that at least if we were going to miss out, better to miss out and pick from 15th in the Conference than 9th (been there done that). So maybe there is a cosmic balance after all.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Rbk
MontrealCulinary*****

Send a message via MSN to Rbk Send a message via Skype™ to Rbk
http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Shows/1221.../ID=2193260907

Rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 05:03 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
There's many strong indications that the Habs are not nearly as bad as their record, starting with the goal differential, and the 9-21 record in games decided by one goal or one goal plus empty-netter.

Something to consider, certainly, before the whole thing just gets blown up.
what gets blown up?

larek is offline   Reply With Quote