HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Clarke MacArthur - slump or a one-off season?

Old
02-01-2012, 11:15 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
There has to be a lesson there.Not a single free agent has been worth a fraction of what we threw at them.Komi,MaC,Armstrong,Connolly,Dupuis and even Beauchmin didnt play that well here.Lesson:Only spend money on bonafide stars or they will wilt in Toronto under the expectations the higher salary puts upon them.Throwing money at a guy because you can,doesnt work.NYR does the same thing,never works.IF they arent a star dont pay them.
UFAs are almost NEVER worth the money you pay them, the whole point is that the player gets the highest bidder, and 99% of the time the team overpays to acquire the player.

Even if the player was producing at a normal or even marginal improvement, they are probably still getting overpaid.

Komisarek is overpaid for the job he does, but he is a valuable asset on the blue line, and the contract will be worth more as a trade commodity next year when he is only being paid $3.5M with a $4.5M cap hit.

MacArthur has been good, though last season he was great. The acquisition of Beauchemin in FA didn't pay the sort of dividends we'd hoped, but he landed us two fantastic players in Lupul and Gardiner.

Armstrong may be injured a lot, but the club's record with him in the lineup is better than without him, so he clearly brings an edge this team needs.

Bozak has been having a strong year, as has Gustavsson, and while we didn't get the greatest results from Dupuis, he is still young enough that he could become a solid 4th liner, which is all he was ever expected to be anyways.

Even Brett Lebda managed to salvage some worth for us, because he was, apparently, a key part of the Lombardi/Franson acquisition.

Even if a player was a bust, they've still proven to make some value for us.

The main thing to note with UFAs is that they don't cost assets other than dollars and cap space. Even if we only traded Komisarek for a 7th round pick, that's still an extra 7th rounder for free. And Burke has so far succeeded in extracting maximum value for any piece he has sent away.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Darcy Tucker

vCash: 500
doesnt Mac have 15 or 16 goals now? didnt he only score 21 all last year?

he is a good 2nd or 3rd line player. he hustles, makes smart passes and can actually bury his chances unlike some of the pretenders this year. nothing wrong with his contract at all. potential 30 goal scorer who wants to be here... another player who gets grass is greener syndromed.

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:09 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post

he is a good 2nd or 3rd line player. he hustles, makes smart passes and can actually bury his chances unlike some of the pretenders this year. nothing wrong with his contract at all. potential 30 goal scorer who wants to be here... another player who gets grass is greener syndromed.
Mac is slumping with assists because Kulemin is not scoring.
And I can't blame Kule he plays so well defensively and produces turnover leading to scoring chances - I just wish he scored like a second liner and not like a third liner.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:34 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post

^yes. I am in agreement.

Clarke Mac has obviously answered the call. Yeah he had a tough go there for a while, but he's back. He's going to score 20 plus goals this season and we're going to need a guy like him in the playoffs.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Darcy Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreement View Post
^yes. I am in agreement.

Clarke Mac has obviously answered the call. Yeah he had a tough go there for a while, but he's back. He's going to score 20 plus goals this season and we're going to need a guy like him in the playoffs.
and its guranteed we dont trade him for a player capable of replacing his production and potential. why dump him for a 2nd rounder if we are a playoff team? amazing how quickly fans want or think players need to be moved after Burke just re-signs them. Doesnt make sense.

Old
02-01-2012, 06:39 PM
TheOneArmedMan

I don't know why everyone is complaining about Macaurthur. He has more points and goals than Nikolai Kulemin and Tyler bozak and both of them are considered top 6 forwards.

TheOneArmedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Mowerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Mac maybe, but not Kulemin. Kulemin is a good player who is struggling with personal problems this year. He is still working hard and trying in games, Mac plays disinterested hockey. Last week after the Rags game, he complained that the Rangers try to bore you out of the arena. Probably why he looked like he didn't give a rat's ass during that game
Kulemin played at an unsustainable place taking everything into consideration and got a lot of fluke goals. MacArthur didn't.

It's tough to blame MacArthur when he hasn't really had the conditions for a good season. He had his start ruined (which is normally his most productive time), has had an inconsistent and revolving door of linemates, and a few other minor aspects which make finding consistency for a player that can struggle with it already even more difficult.

There is a difference between MacArthur's and Kulemin last year. MacArthur was a product of a player who has shown in the past in limited periods of time that he can potentially play at that par. They took a chance on him, put him in a position to succeed, and he realised his potential and stayed relatively consistent in putting up points and being an important aspect to his line's offensive productivity. Statistically, MacArthur's season was not a fluke. He put up numbers lower than what he had in the past in regards to stats such as shooting percentage. I broke it down in depth over the summer, but I can't be bothered to dig it up again right now. He also plays a very intelligent game. MacArthur is good at a lot of things, but his only great asset is his ability to read the ice and position himself in the ideal places. That's what got him his points last year.

Kulemin was different. Statistically, Kulemin's drop off was completely expected. He was shooting at a ridiculous shooting percentage that is virtually impossible to sustain. He doesn't get nearly enough shots on net, and the shots he does get on net aren't usually in prime locations. The blatant stupidity of hfboards and the ridiculous homerism led to an insane increase in the perceived value of Kulemin. If you weren't blinded by optimism and took a realistic look at how he plays and his statistics, you would have probably come to the conclusion that there would be a major drop off in productivity. That being said, for it to be as significant as it has been is certainly a shock.

I also can't stand the moronic belief that there are significant personal issues which are causing Kulemin's game to be so worthless. Even if it is true (which, as far as I know, has not been substantiated in any way whatsoever), That's not a bloody excuse. It's a terrible attempt at trying to justify his inability to score 30 goals.

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Platinum Seat Leafs

MacArthur has been frusterating this whole season ... I would be happy to see him go to get somebody else in here

Platinum Seat Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:51 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALDAL View Post
**** Kulemin is and is going to be a one year wonder guy has vanished from the face of the earth and to think we could of had him and Kadri for RICHARDS wow
Quote:
When you are making ****ing millions of dollars a year you better ****ing show up like what the ****... Kulemin play hockey or retire you scrub we could of had Mike Richards for you but burke did not want you in that deal u *****
Quote:
When you are on a sports team like Toronto and gunning for the Playoffs and everything you emotions are not allowed when u make that much i get he is sad but get over it you are here to play hockey not sulk and wine
Quote:
hes trying hard having open net chances and shooting the puck over the net or getting nice passes or break away's missing the net ... His hits arn't even worthy of being called a hit ...
Are you living near the nuclear plant?

That would explain a lot.

The real NHL is not/not a video game. It's played by real people.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:54 PM
DrkSideOfDaMoon*

macarthur is just a 20 goal scorer. Stop expecting so much from him.

DrkSideOfDaMoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:54 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

another goal tonight. it might prove to be the winner.

get into it!

Old
02-01-2012, 09:55 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkSideOfDaMoon View Post
macarthur is just a 20 goal scorer. Stop expecting so much from him.
laugh out loud.

Old
02-01-2012, 09:56 PM
DrkSideOfDaMoon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreement View Post
laugh out loud.
control yourself. Try to laugh quietly.

DrkSideOfDaMoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:15 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
MacArthur has a reputation for playing really well the first half of the season then fizzling and cooling off during the second half.

He has a problem with consistency.

Really, even though he's signed through next, year his 3.25 contract is an overpayment. I'd feel more comfortable with giving him $2.

But, I don't think Burke sees Clarke as part of the long-term outlook for the Leafs.

In the top 6, he's probably the only winger who needs to be removed to get bigger or give Nazzy more ice time.
His month per month per game production for his career:

Oct: .513 G - .205 A - .718 P

Nov: .200 G - .300 A - .500 P

Dec: .214 G - .357 A - .571 P

Jan: .270 G - .254 A - .524 P

Feb: .157 G - .294 A - .451 P

Mar: .157 G - .275 A - .431 P

Apr: Only 13 games played in his career.

So yes, there's a significant drop-off in February and March over his career.

Last year, February was his worst month (but over his career average, .571 vs .405 prior to last year), but March was very good (.733 vs .306 prior to last year).

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Darcy Tucker

this is only his second season playing significant minutes on a top line. I wouldnt read too much into those numbers.

Old
02-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Sundinftw

I guess we rip on mac too much - like a poster above said, he has more goals than kulemin and bozak (i guess there might be a question of defensive coverage though)

Sundinftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 06:56 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

the public outpouring of MacArthur praise continues...

have a great day everybody!

Old
02-02-2012, 07:07 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

its good to see mac producing offensively but i still think he might be one of the players out via trade. He's doing well but damn his drive drives me nuts at time.

02-02-2012, 08:50 AM
Pilot

Five more goals and he ties his 21 from last season. He is what he is - above average middle line guy. Last time he scored 30 goals was in Medicine Hat.

That line is carrying us right now.

Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
Five more goals and he ties his 21 from last season. He is what he is - above average middle line guy. Last time he scored 30 goals was in Medicine Hat.

That line is carrying us right now.
It's a bit surprising to see since he is more of a playmaker than he is a shooter really, but I don't mind it at all. If only we can get Kulie going then that line would be set.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:15 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

i know you're all talking about Reimer and Gagne, but look^

the answer to the OP is slump. he is not a one-off season type player.

G
Leafs
G

Old
02-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Darcy Tucker

personally im a big fan of Macarthur and what he brings to the table. I hope hes here for a long time. glad he was able to pot a few goals lately to quiet the trade speculation and criticism.

Old
02-06-2012, 03:16 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

I did a goals scored prediction thread at the beginning of the season. Out of 32 responses the average prediction for MacArthur was 19 goals. He's currently got 16 and is on pace for 25.

Seems like he's scoring pretty much as people thought he would.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:44 PM
mydnyte

he is on pace for about 30 goals ...I dont see what the issue is

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote