HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Eagles & NFL discussion

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Doesn't matter. He's going to the Hall of Fame.

Jreffrey Lurie's August media event will be interesting to watch.
Which is also thoroughly annoying, unless his next 3 or 4 years are similar to the year he had this season.

Old
02-06-2012, 12:12 PM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
God hates Philadelphia.
I feel you guys, I'm pretty sure he hates Seattle too.

Old
02-06-2012, 12:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Which is also thoroughly annoying, unless his next 3 or 4 years are similar to the year he had this season.
Only 1 QB with 2 Super Bowl wins isn't in - Jim Plunkett, and Eli is already way ahead of Jim Plunkett.

Old
02-06-2012, 12:24 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

vCash: 50
on the brightside, eagles have the early 6-1 odds to win the super bowl next year how do these oddsmakers have jobs?? won't they ever learn andy reid will never win a super bowl for Philly.

Old
02-06-2012, 12:25 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceman26 View Post
on the brightside, eagles have the early 6-1 odds to win the super bowl next year how do these oddsmakers have jobs?? won't they ever learn andy reid will never win a super bowl for Philly.
As of right now, I like their odds of winning the two-hand touch super bowl. Anything involving tackling will give us trouble...

Old
02-06-2012, 12:51 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Only 1 QB with 2 Super Bowl wins isn't in - Jim Plunkett, and Eli is already way ahead of Jim Plunkett.
Doesn't mean he actually deserves it based off of his ability. That's why I said it was annoying. It's a team accomplishment.

Old
02-06-2012, 12:55 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Doesn't mean he actually deserves it based off of his ability. That's why I said it was annoying. It's a team accomplishment.
Yeah but I think in football more than other sports a position like QB is more important than other positions. A QB with multiple championships (and SB MVPs) is not the same thing as an OL with multiple championships. I hate Eli, but after this I think he is a shoe-in for the HOF, and deservedly so unfortunately.

Old
02-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah but I think in football more than other sports a position like QB is more important than other positions. A QB with multiple championships (and SB MVPs) is not the same thing as an OL with multiple championships. I hate Eli, but after this I think he is a shoe-in for the HOF, and deservedly so unfortunately.
QB is the most important single position, but it's not more important than an entire unit. His statistics, this season aside, are only above average. He throws for a good amount of yards, but also turns the ball over a ton. I believe this was his only season with a top 10 QB rating, let a lone a top 5.

Like I said, if he replicates this year a couple more times than I think he'll deserve to be in, but as of now I don't think that he deserves it on his own merit. I think it's just because people still give QB's more credit/blame than they really deserve.

Old
02-06-2012, 01:53 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by litflyersfan View Post
As an Eagles fan this has to make you sick.
The Giants deserve it and the Eagles don't. Not sick.

Old
02-06-2012, 02:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
QB is the most important single position, but it's not more important than an entire unit. His statistics, this season aside, are only above average. He throws for a good amount of yards, but also turns the ball over a ton. I believe this was his only season with a top 10 QB rating, let a lone a top 5.

Like I said, if he replicates this year a couple more times than I think he'll deserve to be in, but as of now I don't think that he deserves it on his own merit. I think it's just because people still give QB's more credit/blame than they really deserve.
It's a Quarterback league now. If you don't have a quarterback, you don't have a team.

Old
02-06-2012, 02:20 PM
kicksave27

See Andy defense and a running game you can win superbowls, even with mediocre quarterbacks. wes welker is the giants mvp, if he makes that catch, pats win.

Old
02-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
It's a Quarterback league now. If you don't have a quarterback, you don't have a team.
Its true that the league is geared towards offense, and protecting the QB. It's easier to play QB now than it has ever been. However, half of the final 4 teams were there primarily because of their defense.

Do you feel like Eli Manning deserves to be in the Hall of Fame?

Old
02-06-2012, 02:40 PM
DumpyD

Why are you trying so hard to tear Eli down? He's far better than anything we've had around here in a long time.

Old
02-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Quote:
Its true that the league is geared towards offense, and protecting the QB. It's easier to play QB now than it has ever been. However, half of the final 4 teams were there primarily because of their defense.

Eli is a HOF, not only because he has had some very good seasons but when his team needs him most he usually always delivers. Cant say we have had a QB like that around here in a long time.

Old
02-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
See Andy defense and a running game you can win superbowls, even with mediocre quarterbacks. wes welker is the giants mvp, if he makes that catch, pats win.
Eli is not a Mediocre QB. He was great all year.

Old
02-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpyD View Post
Why are you trying so hard to tear Eli down? He's far better than anything we've had around here in a long time.
He isn't really far better than anything we've had around here, sans this season. He has had one terrific season, and undoubtedly the talks will begin today across the country that he is a great QB, better then his brother, and a Hall of Famer. And that will all be because his team has won two championships. His defense was the MVP of the first game, but to his credit he was great in this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
Eli is a HOF, not only because he has had some very good seasons but when his team needs him most he usually always delivers. Cant say we have had a QB like that around here in a long time.
What other very good seasons has he had that weren't completely marred by his turnovers? 2009 is all I can think of.

Also, it isn't the Hall of Very Good.

Old
02-06-2012, 02:52 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:

Yes.

Old
02-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:

What other very good seasons has he had that weren't completely marred by his turnovers? 2009 is all I can think of.
He was good in 2008 also, Qb's are judged about how they do under pressure and he has been great in those situations. That's why he is going to the HOF.

Old
02-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Yes.
Do you base that on anything besides this season, and his Super Bowls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
He was good in 2008 also, Qb's are judged about how they do under pressure and he has been great in those situations. That's why he is going to the HOF.
I agree he definitely does well in pressure situations. His 2008 was good, but nothing that Mcnabb didn't produce on a consistent basis. Which to me would be a tier below the elite, and not HOF worthy.

Old
02-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
It pains me to say it, but I can see Eli as a HOFer too. I doubt he isn't let in.

02-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It pains me to say it, but I can see Eli as a HOFer too. I doubt he isn't let in.
I know he's going there, and it annoys me haha. Unless he does put in more seasons like this. Then he'll deserve it.

Old
02-06-2012, 03:11 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
I agree he definitely does well in pressure situations. His 2008 was good, but nothing that Mcnabb didn't produce on a consistent basis. Which to me would be a tier below the elite, and not HOF worthy.
I would take Eli and his turnovers over Mcnabb's low interception rate 100 games out of 100.

Old
02-06-2012, 03:16 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
I know he's going there, and it annoys me haha. Unless he does put in more seasons like this. Then he'll deserve it.
If Curtis Martin is a first ballot HOFer, then I have to believe a 2x Super Bowl champ with most likely another 5 good years (those damn Mannings are durable creatures) ahead of him is eventually going to walk into the HOF as well.

Old
02-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpyD View Post
If Curtis Martin is a first ballot HOFer, then I have to believe a 2x Super Bowl champ with most likely another 5 good years (those damn Mannings are durable creatures) ahead of him is eventually going to walk into the HOF as well.
Curtis Martin is 4th all time in rushing so he had to be in. It's also the hardest position to remain good at for a long time.

And like I said, if he does put up 3 more seasons like this one then he'll deserve it in my opinion. But still as of right now I think he's just a real good QB, not great.

Old
02-06-2012, 03:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
I don't know how you can call Eli mediocre after this season. The running game you mentioned? Where was it? The Giants were last in the league in rushing yards per game (less than 90). Don't think he's elite? Fine. But you can't say he's mediocre after the way he played this season and with some of the throws he made this postseason.