HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Third Most Goals Against in NHL

Old
02-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Canuckman44

vCash: 500
Third Most Goals Against in NHL

Well, some people think it is the goaltending, some the defence corps, but the forwards seldom get much flack from the fans regarding defensive play. What do you think? The team is dropping toward the" out of playoff race".
What do you think they team should do in terms of player personel in the next three weeks leading up to the trade deadline?

Canuckman44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:08 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
It's the defense AINEC.

Goaltending was a problem early on as well on though no doubt about it. I don't agree with the forwards aspect. If the forwards haven't been playing as great as they have, we wouldn't be where we are. Condra, Greening, Michalek, Spezza, Alfredsson, Smith all played phenomenal defensive hockey this season. Heck, the whole forward corp.

We are a top 4 defense man and another depth defense man away from making a strong run in the playoffs(Maybe win the first round) and add a top 6 then I think we actually have a shot against anyone until maybe the finals/conference but who knows.

Regarding this season, reason why we are so bad is because in the beginning, the defense and goaltending were both very bad but our forwards were amazing, then our goaltending got a bit bette and so did our defense and our offense remained amazing, then our goaltending went into beast mode, defense good and offense was great, not as strong though(Turris was a factor)

We were never really firing in all cyclinders expect the games against Pitts, New York Rangers and San Jose.

Last edited by ReginKarlssonLehner: 02-06-2012 at 12:15 AM.
ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:23 AM
Kamina
Amok

We definitely need another top 4 D and top line forward before we can actually do some damage.

T6F - Spezza - Michalek
Foligno - Turris - Alfredsson
Greening - Smith - Neil
Condra - Winchester - Butler
Konopka / Daugavins / JOB

Kuba - Karlsson
T4D - Gonchar
Phillips - Cowen
Carkner/Lee

Before we fix those two problems, we'll probably just be pushovers for whoever we face in the first round, if we even make the playoffs at all.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:45 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckman44 View Post
Well, some people think it is the goaltending, some the defence corps, but the forwards seldom get much flack from the fans regarding defensive play. What do you think? The team is dropping toward the" out of playoff race".
What do you think they team should do in terms of player personel in the next three weeks leading up to the trade deadline?
The root of the problem is inexperience. We have enough depth on the backend, IMO. Goaltending is inconsistent which is typical when you have an average goalie like Andy. Our forwards have not been perfect, and again inexperience leads to turnovers and odd man rushes. There's really no cure other than time. We should not look to add unless the piece coming our way is young with very high upside. All about long-term, not this season.

02-06-2012, 09:08 AM
sanityplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamina View Post
We definitely need another top 4 D and top line forward before we can actually do some damage.

T6F - Spezza - Michalek
Foligno - Turris - Alfredsson
Greening - Smith - Neil
Condra - Winchester - Butler
Konopka / Daugavins / JOB

Kuba - Karlsson
T4D - Gonchar
Phillips - Cowen
Carkner/Lee

Before we fix those two problems, we'll probably just be pushovers for whoever we face in the first round, if we even make the playoffs at all.
This, who's our best defenseman defensively, this year? Kuba? Phillips? That's our biggest problem.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanityplease View Post
This, who's our best defenseman defensively, this year? Kuba? Phillips? That's our biggest problem.
Kuba and it ain't even close.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 09:32 AM
sanityplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
I think that sums up this teams problems perfectly.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanityplease View Post
Yep in a perfect world, the 2nd pairing should be our 3rd pairing, you have a rookie and and an aging dman, in a playoff team thats your third pairing, and in any other playoff team, Chris Philips wouldn't even crack the lineup. He doesn't look like an NHLdman at all, still has troubles with the puck, lost in his zone and terrible skater.

Kuba-Karlsson
Top 4 D- Top 4 D
Cowen-Gonchar
Philips

Old
02-06-2012, 10:06 AM
BlackMamba24

Hello ladies and gents, havent posted in here for a while, but ive been on this site often and i like to read,observe and see whats going on. Thisis by far the best sens site i've been on. Just as far as info,opinion,and good discussion.

Now on the SENS
I just think this team is got to get back to playing more responsible in their end. Tighten things up a little, limit turnovers/oddman rushes. They give up way to many scoring chances and odd man rushes, for my liking.

Starting games off well would help, playing 60 minutes would as well. They just got to go and play and keep things simple and be responsible. They should be ok, and they'll start winning games if they do that.

Are there weakness on this team, yeah there is, we all know what they are. If they can may a move to improve in one of those areas, they should, of course keep in mind without mortaging the future. Otherwise stay with this group and see what happens.

BlackMamba24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 10:31 AM
BlackMamba24

Quotes from Spezza
“We’ve got to take a deep breath and just relax,”
"You've got to look at the big our last two weeks have been really bad and we’ve lost games that we shouldn’t have lost and we’ve blown some leads that we shouldn’t have blown. "
"You have to look at the season as a whole. We’re happy to be in this position and now we’ve got some important games down the stretch. "We’ve put ourselves in a position to play some important games. Take a breath (Sunday) and come back to work on Monday.”

Paul Mclean quotes:

“We just have to find a way to do a little bit more. Not a whole, whole lot more,” said MacLean. “We have to be better on special teams. I think our best players need to be our best players, just like every other team in the league.

“We don’t have to (have) anything spectacular by any individual or (anything). We just have to come and play a good solid game from start to finish. When our team is good, our best players are good. When our team isn’t good, our best players aren’t good.”

Just some things to think about for fellow sens fan who are in panic mode/hysteria. Like spezza said relax and take a deep breath guys and gals, they'll be okay, they've been through slumps before, remember the 1-5 start, they've battled adversity, and i expect this to continue to compete an battle. This is in all honestly where i thought they woudl be, i thought they could contend/battle for a playoff spot.

quotes take from http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../19341811.html

They WILL be FINE. I think they will make the playoffs.

BlackMamba24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanityplease
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanityplease
The fact that Kuba has played very well isn't a problem at all. I'd say our only problem with the defence is that Phillips is on the 3rd pairing and deserves to be there. If he was playing like the top four guy he used to be, our depth in the position would be fine, if not great.

Karlsson, Gonchar and Kuba are all playing well within the role of top 4 defencemen.

Cowan is having issues with consistancy, but can be more then counted on as a bottom pairing guy, who can move into the top four when needed.

Lee/Carkner are adequate as 6/7 men, but no more can be expected of them at this point.

Unfortunately, the team expected more from Phillips when they resigned him, and they just have not gotten what they needed.

Last edited by Micklebot: 02-06-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Micklebot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 01:18 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I think Phillips could be a top 4 guy, just not with Carkner or any other plodding, physical defenceman.

A Phillips-Gonchar pairing might be better than Cowen-Gonchar at the moment, given Jared's struggles, but that would leave an inconceivable Cowen-Carkner pairing to pull up the rear.

With Phillips forced into the role of primary puck-rushing and distribution d-man on that 3rd pairing, it's a task he can't possible fulfill. Cowen might actually fit that role better.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 01:30 PM
KT7

Its the D for sure. This game works in circles....a few years ago we had no offensive puck movement and great stay at home D, now its the opposite. Phillips has deteriorated to a point where what we thought we had isn't there anymore. The only true capable defensive Dman on this roster isCowen, and he is struggling. Itdoes need to be adressed....if not from outside the org, then by promoting Boro permanently and getting him comfy with this role.

KT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 01:55 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
I think Phillips could be a top 4 guy, just not with Carkner or any other plodding, physical defenceman.

A Phillips-Gonchar pairing might be better than Cowen-Gonchar at the moment, given Jared's struggles, but that would leave an inconceivable Cowen-Carkner pairing to pull up the rear.

With Phillips forced into the role of primary puck-rushing and distribution d-man on that 3rd pairing, it's a task he can't possible fulfill. Cowen might actually fit that role better.
This is what I have been thinking as well Cowen has struggled quite a bit during this losing stretch. If Carkner gets moved than a Cowen - Lee third pairing doesn't look so bad as both are decent skaters & could be a nice tandem together.

I was flamed for suggesting that Ottawa should not have re-signed Phillips but now that they have we are stuck with him. I agree with Nyquil that he would be better off with Gonchar, in fact, they might be better off with each other since Gonchar isn't playing all that great either but at least he is getting some pts. I still think they need to move their UFAs at the deadline for whatever they can get & bring up whatever peices they may need from Bingo that they didn't get through trade.

I don't see moving our vets as giving up I see it as improving the team & sticking with the rebuild plan. It doesn't mean that the new players won't help us get into the playoffs, they could be better than the vets we traded, at least that would be the hope. they would certainly be better for the future of the team.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:38 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Since Cowen is playing like a blundering idiot, the best option right now is

Kuba - Karlsson
Phillips - Gonchar
Cowen - Carkner
Lee in when not hurt

But Phillips and Gonchar are 3rd pairing caliber. So ideally there need 1 top pairing guy and 1 top 4 guy. Huge problems on D right now and this can't be adressed right now or in the summer IMO.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Lenny the Lynx

I just heard on the radio that the 4th pairing in practice was Lee & Butler.

Does anyone else think we should try that in the next game just to see what happens?

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:53 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post

Does anyone else think we should try that in the next game just to see what happens?
It would be funny for sure. Maybe in the 2nd when the game is out of reach. But really they should take the forward who's best at skating backwards and give him a try.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post

Lol that was the extras only.