HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Will Bryzgalov ever be worth his contract? All Bryz Discussion Here. Part Three

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Scoopyten

vCash: 500
I think people need to realize that Bryzgalov had a season similar to this one in his first full season in Phoenix, and bounced back the next year to be a Vezina finalist.

I won't argue that he's been bad, because he has been. He's been very inconsistent, he doesn't seem to trust his fundamentals, his confidence is low and he doesn't have a lot of faith in the team in front of him. All legitimate worries.

But the guy has been a very good goalie for the past four or five years. He's shown an ability to rebound from bad seasons in the past and be very good, almost elite.

There have been more issues than Bryzgalov this year, he's just been the most noticed one.

Old
02-06-2012, 02:16 PM
toughfighter83*

you know what the problem is, is that no one gives him a chance because it's all about the money and that's not fair because you cant have goalies to come in this team and expect to bail out to the team's turnovers, poor defense every single shift, as some point it will bite them, it doesnt work that way.

tim thomas was strugging a couple of years back, henry wasnt great either for the last couple of years, brezzy is playing only 30 games and he's struggling, you cant write him off, fans have no patience.

the problem is flyers fans wants a cup now and to be honest i dont think it's going to happen because the defense is very sloppy, not too menion the lost of pronger really hurt this team, if he was here i think both goalies will be ok, you cant keep shopping for goalies because they are struggling, it's part of the game.

that's no such thing as a perfect goalie, good goalies have struggles and flaws, or bad seasons, it's just a bad season for brezzy. he will get better if you give him a chance, there's no timelimit for when goalies get better.

Old
02-06-2012, 02:32 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
you know what the problem is, is that no one gives him a chance because it's all about the money and that's not fair because you cant have goalies to come in this team and expect to bail out to the team's turnovers, poor defense every single shift, as some point it will bite them, it doesnt work that way.

tim thomas was strugging a couple of years back, henry wasnt great either for the last couple of years, brezzy is playing only 30 games and he's struggling, you cant write him off, fans have no patience.

the problem is flyers fans wants a cup now and to be honest i dont think it's going to happen because the defense is very sloppy, not too menion the lost of pronger really hurt this team, if he was here i think both goalies will be ok, you cant keep shopping for goalies because they are struggling, it's part of the game.

that's no such thing as a perfect goalie, good goalies have struggles and flaws, or bad seasons, it's just a bad season for brezzy. he will get better if you give him a chance, there's no timelimit for when goalies get better.
I think Bryz will get better.

I don't ever think he'll be worth a nine year contract however. Agreed people are reactionary and a bit delusional with the trade proposals. We're stuck with him regardless. I also believe that even if he played at his peak this team still isn't a true cup contender.

Old
02-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
When Fleury, Quick, Lundqvist, etc let in the bad goals Bryz did yesterday, it's something you shrug off as an anomaly. With Bryz it's been the norm this year. That's the difference.
i saw 1 bad goal [Gaborik], that Bryz still did the exact correct thing on.

and his lifetime numbers would suggest that is not the norm for Bryz. I don't think it's fair to eliminate 326 games of his career.

Bryz does need to still get better, though, and his career numbers suggest that he will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
No, the fact the premier goaltenders allow those kinds of goals means it's not really a bad goal.

Did you watch the videos?

A lot of people here don't want to come to grips with that fact so they need to find someone else to blame.

I think I don't disagree with any of that. Except to say that if you watch that video of MAF you will see nearly the same exact goal as Gaborik scored yesterday on Bryz. Just because it trickles in doesn't mean it's a bad goal.

As for the 3rd goal, surely you want your goalie to stop that. But NHL players score from there, and five holes goals are not always bad goals.

"Stellar" would be more appropriate.

well said. all of that.

Old
02-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoopyten View Post

There have been more issues than Bryzgalov this year, he's just been the most noticed one.
naturally, he's had almost twice as many games as Bob.

Old
02-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
naturally, he's had almost twice as many games as Bob.
Also, looking at twitter and other message boards, every goal he allows is his fault...like the 5th one yesterday. He wasn't anywhere near the net...bum.

I think he takes more heat than is deserved is all. He can bounce back, and be a damned good goalie.

Old
02-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
We've been waiting for him to bounce back and be a damned good goalie for a few months now. It's getting out of hand. How much time does he need?? If he doesn't get his crap together by the end of next season things are going to get very interesting.

02-06-2012, 02:59 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoopyten View Post
Also, looking at twitter and other message boards, every goal he allows is his fault...like the 5th one yesterday. He wasn't anywhere near the net...bum.

I think he takes more heat than is deserved is all. He can bounce back, and be a damned good goalie.
Supposedly 5+ mil top tier goalie who has below a .900 sv% and close to a 3.00 GAA is going to get that.

With almost the same exact defense as last season (with Timonen who has played better and Carle who has looked worse) we had better goal-tending by Boucher and Bobrovsky than with Breezy. Same defense. Same coach. Only difference is we lost Carter/Richards, but gained a slew of other forwards, like Read/Talbot/Couturier who are good defensively. Honestly, the excuses are running out. We saw the same type of goals last season go in on Boucher and Bobrovsky, and people attacked them. Some here though, who attacked those goalies, seem to be defending Breezy from the same type of goals he is letting in. This time its the defense's fault though.

Old
02-06-2012, 02:59 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
How much time does he need?? If he doesn't get his crap together by the end of next season things are going to get very interesting.
I'll wait until I hear Ed Snider's opinion on the matter before I jump to any conclusions.

Old
02-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpyD View Post
I'll wait until I hear Ed Snider's opinion on the matter before I jump to any conclusions.
Last I heard he was dead set on correcting the goaltending debacle. Currently, that debacle has gotten worse. If things don't improve in his second season, it'll probably be time to pop some popcorn and see what happens.

Old
02-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
We've been waiting for him to bounce back and be a damned good goalie for a few months now. It's getting out of hand. How much time does he need??
if he keeps getter skewered for [nearly] EVERY goal he lets in, I'd bet the entire year.

Philly is living up to it's reputation of 'chewing up & spitting out goalies' - as described yesterday when it was 2-1 & Bryz was playing great, after 2 great games ...

we are so starved for a savior, that even this original thread questioning Bryz's 9 year contract / worth was started 6games into his Flyers career.

Oy Vay

Old
02-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpyD View Post
i wonder what the odds of that happening are ??

id love to get an "honest" interview with him right now..

but chances are that would never emerge.

Old
02-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
We saw the same type of goals last season go in on .... Bobrovsky, and people attacked them.
and others said:

he's a rookie - give him time
he's a Russian - give him time
language issue - give him time

give him time.

then we also need to give [who's gonna be here long term] time & stop needling him for [almost] every goal against.

Old
02-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
if he keeps getter skewered for [nearly] EVERY goal he lets in, I'd bet the entire year.

Philly is living up to it's reputation of 'chewing up & spitting out goalies' - as described yesterday when it was 2-1 & Bryz was playing great, after 2 great games ...

we are so starved for a savior, that even this original thread questioning Bryz's 9 year contract / worth was started 6games into his Flyers career.

Oy Vay
Questioning a 9 year, 5.6 million dollar contract given to a 31 year old goaltender is perfectly normal. It's an idiotic contract. Many people all over these forums were laughing at Philly for that contract, and instantly put it on par with Luongo's and DiPietro's...and rightfully so. What nobody (outside of a few Phoenix fans) foresaw was that he would be this bad to start the contract.

As for getting skewered in the media, there's a really simple solution for that: stop sucking. Stop blowing big games.

Quote:
and others said:

he's a rookie - give him time
he's a Russian - give him time
language issue - give him time

give him time.

then we also need to give [who's gonna be here long term] time & stop needling him for [almost] every goal against.
There's a whole world of difference between a rookie who's never spoken English and never played in North America needing a season to adapt, and a well established goaltender who was supposed to be the Great Solution needed an entire season to adapt. Bob has plenty of excuses, and he hasn't really needed them all that often. At this point Bryz has very few.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 02-06-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old
02-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
It's an idiotic contract.

Many people all over these forums were laughing at Philly for that contract, and instantly put it on par with Luongo's and DiPietro's
and if VAN had won game 7 last year, they would all shut up.

Why ?? it's about the CUP, not the contract.

Quote:
As for getting skewered in the media, there's a really simple solution for that: stop sucking. Stop blowing big games.
that's the point: nearly every goal against is labelled 'soft' and 'cuts the heart out' 'he sucks' .... Carle coughs up the puck 30 feet in front of the net, a pass to a wide open guy, bottom of the circle = Bryz's fault ....

the 6th NJ goal was blasted by Bob ..... gets a pass from everybody .. why ? because the team was awful, it was a PP goal ... but it was still a warm-up slapshot from above the circle .....Foster isn't Chara, but Bob got no heat from anyone, including me.

i don't judge soft / bad goals by $ amounts or contract years. i'm fair to both goalies.

goal #6 vs NJD & goals 3,4 vs NYR are all the same to me: would like to get them, but not a matter of 'the goalie sucks'

Old
02-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
There's a whole world of difference between a rookie who's never spoken English and never played in North America needing a season to adapt, and a well established goaltender .....
i'm sure the details are different for every goalie, but the course i suggested last year, is applicable to this year - give him time

Lavy:
Quote:
Laviolette refused to single out his goalie. He never singles out any player in defeat. It’s always “we.”

“With regard to yesterday, there’s things we could have done better as a team defensively,” he said. “We could have blocked more shots. We could have played with more desperation. We could have scored more goals. We could have defended better in our end. We could have gotten saves.

“No one is exempt from the loss yesterday. We are all included in that. In order to beat a team that is having a good year and sits in first place in the Eastern Conference, it’s got to be a better effort. That doesn’t exclude anyone who comes into this locker room right now.

“That’s the best way to put it. It’s not as simply as you want to make it out to be. Our game has to be better. It’s all pieces ... Generally speaking, we all need to elevate our game.”
http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/flyers...182&feedID=695

he gets it.

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 02-06-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old
02-06-2012, 03:32 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:

Oy Vay
He was playing great, for two periods.

Then he let the Gaborik softie and humongously imploded.

Old
02-06-2012, 03:33 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
give him time.
Unfortunately for the Flyers, they have nothing but time in regards to Bryz.

He's gotta go on a hot streak at some point in the next 8 years.

Old
02-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Time is cheap with a rookie goaltender who costs 1.75 mil. Time is expensive as hell and detrimental to the overall product that can be put on the ice when you have to waste over half a season on a 5.66 million dollar goaltender who plays like an AHLer. He's had MORE than enough time. He's had crazy humongous time. Yet...he hasn't found consistency, he still lets in weak goals at the post, etc.

He let's in goals off turnovers at the circle. He lets in goals when the opposing team skates it in and shoots from the circle. He lets in slapshots from the point, and wrist shots from the point. He routinely gets beaten 5 hole, especially on failed poke checks. If the puck changes direction at all it usually goes in. If he's screened at all it usually goes in. He routinely gets beaten at the post. Any time we play a great team, he can't keep it close. If the offense doesn't score 4 goals or more, we are generally hosed because he routinely lets in 3 goals, and at least one of them is weak (Yes, I know you argue differently, because you judge him based on beer league standards and not NHL franchise goaltender standards).

This has been going on all season. He has yet to show he's fixed any of his glaring problems. Every time we think he's making progress he reverts back to crap. It's flat out unacceptable. The worst part? The moment he lets in a bad goal, he just looks defeated and everything gets worse. He's shown mental weakness. Above all, he has costed this team far more games than he's stolen for them, which is what he's here to do.

How much freaking time are we supposed to give this guy? 8 more years? Personally, I'll give him until next season. I expect to see Bob starting in the playoffs if something doesn't change fast with Bryz's consistency, play, and mental fortitude. After that, if he doesn't pull it together, I want him hauled out at any cost for the good of the team.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 02-06-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old
02-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Supposedly 5+ mil top tier goalie who has below a .900 sv% and close to a 3.00 GAA is going to get that.

With almost the same exact defense as last season (with Timonen who has played better and Carle who has looked worse) we had better goal-tending by Boucher and Bobrovsky than with Breezy. Same defense. Same coach. Only difference is we lost Carter/Richards, but gained a slew of other forwards, like Read/Talbot/Couturier who are good defensively. Honestly, the excuses are running out. We saw the same type of goals last season go in on Boucher and Bobrovsky, and people attacked them. Some here though, who attacked those goalies, seem to be defending Breezy from the same type of goals he is letting in. This time its the defense's fault though.
Bryzgalov has struggled, sometimes mightily.

I wasn't aware that I made any excuses for him. He absolutely needs to play better. I doubt anyone, even his most ardent fan would admit that.

As far as others making excuses for him, that's on them. I think that he's had the worst case of luck I have seen a goalie have and it's really affected his game. It has him guessing rather than using fundamentally strong approaches. A questionable goal immediately has him feeling off his game.

That run of bad luck, combined with the shaky defense and lack of familiarity has really snowballed on the guy. He didn't suddenly forget how to play at a high level, but he needs work on his mental approach and fundamentals

Old
02-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Time is cheap with a rookie goaltender. Time is expensive as hell and detrimental to the overall product that can be put on the ice when you have to waste over half a season on a 5.66 million dollar goaltender who plays like an AHLer.
He let's in goals off turnovers at the circle. He lets in goals when the opposing team skates it in and shoots from the circle. He lets in slapshots from the point, and wrist shots from the point. He routinely gets beaten 5 hole, especially on failed poke checks. If the puck changes direction at all it usually goes in. If he's screened at all it usually goes in. He routinely gets beaten at the post. Any time we play a great team, he can't keep it close. If the offense doesn't score 4 goals or more, we are generally hosed because he routinely lets in 3 goals, and at least one of them is weak (Yes, I know you argue differently, because you judge him based on beer league standards and not NHL franchise goaltender standards).

This has been going on all season. He has yet to show he's fixed any of his glaring problems. Every time we think he's making progress he reverts back to crap. It's flat out unacceptable. The worst part? The moment he lets in a bad goal, he just looks defeated and everything gets worse. He's shown mental weakness. Above all, he has costed this team far more games than he's stolen for them, which is what he's here to do.

How much freaking time are we supposed to give this guy? 8 more years? Personally, I'll give him until next season. I expect to see Bob starting in the playoffs if something doesn't change fast with Bryz's consistency, play, and mental fortitude. After that, if he doesn't pull it together, I want him hauled out at any cost for the good of the team.
I think Bryz's teammates are starting to turn on him, too. They already don't have any confidence in him or his ability to come up with the big save (or even the routine save). Kimmo's comment after yesterday's game pretty much said it all, whether he meant to take a shot at Bryz or not.

Ed Snider pledged, in a TV interview, that the Flyers would never go through the goalie circus of last season's playoffs ever again. Well, here we are, and it's become obvious that the more things change, the more they stay the same. Now I just wonder if Ed will swallow his pride and continue the quest to fulfill that promise, even if it means jettisoning the guy who was supposed to be the answer.

Old
02-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
humongously imploded.
if he was out of position = imploded
if the shots were from far out, not bottom of the circles = imploded
if he caught them, then dropped them into the net = imploded
stick-handling goofs = imploded

do i want my #1 to get at least one of goals 3 & 4 - absolutely

'imploded'? no

Bryz:
Wins: 2.02 GAA .930 Save %
Losses: 3.88 GAA .853 Save %

Bob:
Wins: 1.73 GAA .937 Save %
Losses: 4.37 GAA .875 Save %

Old
02-06-2012, 04:10 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
I am not sure, but I think like 60% of his salary is paid out in the 1st 4 years. I am quite confident that he will never see 9 years, more like 6. Bothers me when people hold their breath and pout over the 9 years with this bum rants.

I just want him to get his **** figured out ( career numbers say he should), or Bob to play well and earn the starters role.

By looking at post counts in Bryz threads I honestly believe some want him to fail so they can rant away in this thread, even though they should be smart enough to know he ain't going anywhere for at least 4years. And talk of buyouts etc are just plain idiotic, would be the absolute worst thing we could do.

Old
02-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Breeze 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post

And that's ALL that has to be said!!!!!!!!! Tim Thomas was offered up at the trade deadline and no one wanted him

Old
02-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Lundqvist is 15-20 in the playoffs .. has never been past round 2 [pretty sure].

hasn't been past rd 1 since 2007.

numbers are not everything. if Bryz lives up to his career numbers over the 9 years, i'll be happy. give us a CUP = exstatic

Closed Thread