HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Yelling at another player not on your team 2 pass the puck to you: Bush league or no?

Old
02-05-2012, 12:15 AM
BHDefensiveForward

vCash: 500
I will never pass to a voice, period! You should always be scanning the area anyways, and if you don't look and pass to the wrong guy be prepared to get an ear full when the puck is hammered into your net.

BHDefensiveForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Jackson12

no problem with it at all. trying to get payback for having it done too you in a rec league game just makes you such a loser.

Jackson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:44 PM
POTS

Bush league...do it in a higher level league and expect to get drilled...A rookie did it to Mario (called him by his nickname) who dropped it to him...next shift Mario cleaned his clock, took the puck, scored and told him "dont pull that $#@! up here"...this told first hand by said "rookie"...just sayin"

POTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:18 PM
beenhereandthere

Quote:
Originally Posted by POTS View Post
Bush league...do it in a higher level league and expect to get drilled...A rookie did it to Mario (called him by his nickname) who dropped it to him...next shift Mario cleaned his clock, took the puck, scored and told him "dont pull that $#@! up here"...this told first hand by said "rookie"...just sayin"
Seems to me, besides the skill level, this is one reason why you don't see if that much at higher level. It seems to violate a code.
I still will try to look before I pass it, but once in a while, you just don't have the time.
Seems to me as well, that in basketball and soccer, people don't do this, so why do hockey players have to lower themselves to it?

beenhereandthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 04:20 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

I don't care if people do it. It doesn't generally make any difference to me as I look before I even have the puck a lot of times so I know where my pass is going even before it arrives.

I generally don't pass blindly to a voice.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 08:22 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Seems to me, besides the skill level, this is one reason why you don't see if that much at higher level. It seems to violate a code.
I still will try to look before I pass it, but once in a while, you just don't have the time.
Seems to me as well, that in basketball and soccer, people don't do this, so why do hockey players have to lower themselves to it?
hockey players do it all the time. oh and FYI it happens in basketball to

hyster110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:22 AM
beenhereandthere

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
hockey players do it all the time. oh and FYI it happens in basketball to
I've played for 30 years and have only seen it 5 to 8 times and I play more than twice a year of course.

Old
02-07-2012, 09:16 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
I don't care if people do it. It doesn't generally make any difference to me as I look before I even have the puck a lot of times so I know where my pass is going even before it arrives.

I generally don't pass blindly to a voice.
Drop passes are the devil.

Last edited by The Tikkanen: 02-08-2012 at 08:59 AM.
The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

It is 100% acceptable. Maybe if a team falls for it often enough they will learn to talk on the ice and learn their team mates voices.

One of the major downfalls of lower level players is they don't speak to each other out there.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Stickmata

Yeah, totally bush league IMO, but enough guys do it that if you fall for it, it's on you.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Hugh Madbrough

it's bush

Hugh Madbrough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 04:45 PM
damacumich

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I think it's hilarious that so many people think it's too bush league for their... bush league.
Or some would say, too bush league for their busch league

damacumich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Patchey*

I do this all day. If you get so butt hurt that you want to fight me cause I embarrassed you, you're just going to be further embarrassed and chirped by the entire team.

Patchey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:45 AM
kook10

I don't think it is bush league in and of itself, but usually its the same jerk who is "woo"ing for the puck and chirping all over the ice anyhow so it just pisses you off more.

kook10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:55 AM
mooseOAK*

The ones who do it to players that aren't very good but they are, bush league.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Phil Connors*

If you're dumb enough...

I've done it to people I know to just mess around, but I would never do it to someone(beginner) who is having enough trouble already.

As mentioned before:

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
Like many things in rec hockey, it's a jerk move if you do it someone who's new to the game or significantly worse than you. If you can pull it off against an experienced player or one much better than you, then good for you.

In a game, it's pretty much always fair play. The above only applies to playing shinny with buddies and buddies of buddies.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 02:52 PM
ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by kook10 View Post
I don't think it is bush league in and of itself, but usually its the same jerk who is "woo"ing for the puck and chirping all over the ice .

Yeah it's a pretty embarrassing move to try. Although it's more embarrassing if you get burned by a guy who uses it on you.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Propane Nightmares
Prehistoric Banter

It's a legit tactic, I often see semi pro guys tap their sticks on the ice when they are backchecking as if to call for a drop pass. That also makes you look like less of an ass than shouting pass.

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Playing D, when I'm battling in front of the net and we are losing like 6-1 near the end of the game, I always yell "front of the net!" when an opposing forward wins a battle in the corner and has their back to me. Sometimes he blindly passes it right to me in front of the crease, despite his teammates yelling, "noooooo!".

But you have to make sure you are in the right position on the guy you are trying to defend because he can actually get that gift pass onto his stick instead of mine, or it can deflect off of me to him or into my own goal. It can be risky.

I use my discretion. But I have to admit, I do like making forwards look stupid when they fall for it.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 05:04 PM
TieClark

I see no problem with it. You still have to be aware of where you're passing the puck... blinding throwing it somewhere because someone called for it is a bad play.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:51 AM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

vCash: 2637
"Pass it to the point!"

Finnish your Czech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:16 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
John Madden or Holik I think. I'm sure I remember seeing that and the opposing player was in a Devils jersey.
It was Madden.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/23/sp...r-lemieux.html

"John Madden had one more trick left for the Pittsburgh Penguins, and Mario Lemieux served as his chump. Madden, the Devils' creatively annoying center, had been caught in a corner, badly out of position, so he yelled to Lemieux for him to pass him the puck. And Lemieux did. And he put it right on the tape of Madden's stick.

Lemieux, already flustered, caught up to Madden and whacked him with his stick. Then he whacked him again. Then, at center ice, in full view of the officials and the television cameras, and with a capacity crowd about to celebrate the Devils' 4-2 series-clinching victory, Lemieux cross-checked Madden from behind, and Madden collapsed to the ice.

Lemieux spent the last minute of the Eastern Conference finals in the penalty box. Afterward, Madden said he had taken a guess at Lemieux's nickname -- Ace -- when he called for him to pass the puck. Madden conceded that it was kind of a dirty trick. But it worked. It worked like almost everything else the Devils tried against Lemieux and the Penguins in the series."

edit: Oops, already posted.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:53 PM
beenhereandthere

Seems to me the players that know another language besides English and have teammates that know that language, have an advantage, since they can call for passes and the guys that don't know the language have almost no idea what they're saying.

Old
02-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Trojan35

Beer league? Bush IMO.

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote