HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Number One Priority by the Trade Deadline

Old
02-06-2012, 02:28 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoopyten View Post
Because if they buy out Bryzgalov, they're still stuck with a cap hit...and would be until 2027-28. That's not exactly doable.

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout_calcul...06&buyout_d=15
with an amnesty buyout, much like the Flyers did with LeClair and Amonte after the previous lock-out, the buy-out doesnt count against the cap

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:31 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
assuming his status doesnt change, the amnesty buy-out should be used on Pronger

actually now that I think about it, if Pronger isnt capable of playing, can the Flyers even buy him out?
It depends on how LTIR works in the new CBA I guess, and how many buyouts each team would get. But yea, if Pronger's cap hit counted and we were only allowed one, it would probably have to be him.

Quote:
Because if they buy out Bryzgalov, they're still stuck with a cap hit...and would be until 2027-28. That's not exactly doable.

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout_calcul...06&buyout_d=15
Amnesty buyout = no cap hit. It would still cost loads of money, but that's where Snyder comes in. It was his mistake anyway, so he should pay to take it back.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:40 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
The new CBA would surely still have LTIR allowances. Who knows if they stay the same. It would be a tough choice, it would have to depend on just how bad Bryzgalov flames out or if he shows signs that his play has improved.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
with an amnesty buyout, much like the Flyers did with LeClair and Amonte after the previous lock-out, the buy-out doesnt count against the cap
There's no guarantee that there will be an amnesty buyout in the new CBA.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:45 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Assuming the Bolts are out of it and are sellers at the deadline, I would look to them for some defensive help. I like the prospect of getting Kubina if the price is right and I would also look to Gilroy (not by himself but if they would throw him in to a Kubina deal). Then I look to Rutuu from Carolina. If they could nab those guys I'd be pretty confident moving forward. Something like MAB + a pick or two to TB, not sure what it would take to get Rutuu (or if that MAB deal would be enough to get the guys from TB)?

Hartnell-G-Jagr
Voracek-Briere-JvR
Read-Schenn-Simmonds
Talbot-Couturier-Rutuu
Rinaldo/Harry Z/Idiot

Timonen-Coburn
Mez-Carle
Kubina-Gilroy
Lilja/Gus

Bryz
Bob

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanRichards View Post
It depends on how LTIR works in the new CBA I guess, and how many buyouts each team would get. But yea, if Pronger's cap hit counted and we were only allowed one, it would probably have to be him.

Amnesty buyout = no cap hit. It would still cost loads of money, but that's where Snyder comes in. It was his mistake anyway, so he should pay to take it back.
As soon as there is an amnesty buyout, fine....right now, the only amnesty buyout is in the NBA.

Old
02-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Assuming the Bolts are out of it and are sellers at the deadline, I would look to them for some defensive help. I like the prospect of getting Kubina if the price is right and I would also look to Gilroy (not by himself but if they would throw him in to a Kubina deal). Then I look to Rutuu from Carolina. If they could nab those guys I'd be pretty confident moving forward. Something like MAB + a pick or two to TB, not sure what it would take to get Rutuu (or if that MAB deal would be enough to get the guys from TB)?

Hartnell-G-Jagr
Voracek-Briere-JvR
Read-Schenn-Simmonds
Talbot-Couturier-Rutuu
Rinaldo/Harry Z/Idiot

Timonen-Coburn
Mez-Carle
Kubina-Gilroy
Lilja/Gus

Bryz
Bob
Why ruutu? he wants about 5m+ for his next contract...

Krishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:54 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Better sign him for 12 years then.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
The new CBA would surely still have LTIR allowances. Who knows if they stay the same. It would be a tough choice, it would have to depend on just how bad Bryzgalov flames out or if he shows signs that his play has improved.
Would you really take that chance? If there is a window to get rid of him we MUST do it.

I think I saw enough from him and god knows I've been patient. I just want to take that type of chance.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:58 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
His next contract. He's a rental that I assume can be had for only a little. I wouldn't deal anything of real value for him, but if he can be had for some mid-level prospects and/or mid-round picks, I'd do it.

Old
02-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:

Hartnell-G-Jagr
Voracek-Briere-JvR
Read-Schenn-Simmonds
Talbot-Couturier-Rutuu
Rinaldo/Harry Z/Idiot

Timonen-Coburn
Mez-Carle
Kubina-Gilroy
Lilja/Gus

Bryz
Bob
The more I think about it, the more I'd prefer going with a young, signed defenseman than a veteran rental.

The draft is considered fairly deep, if not stellar, and there's quality to be found in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. They have a good group of youngsters that can grow together and become a very solid contender in a couple years, if not sooner.

I'd rather augment that, rather that take from it

Old
02-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Eh. I'm not eager to see Homer do anything drastic. Our biggest problems probably aren't going to be fixed by one trade. The defensive skill of our forwards is largely lacking, and goaltending exacerbates that issue. I don't think we're just one trade away from being real competitors, not this year.

02-06-2012, 03:05 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Would you really take that chance? If there is a window to get rid of him we MUST do it.

I think I saw enough from him and god knows I've been patient. I just want to take that type of chance.
Bryzgalov has had bad seasons before. His first full season in Phoenix he struggled with consistency and posted bad numbers. The next season, he was a Vezina finalist.

If there is any kind of amnesty buyout, they need to be wise in using it immediately-the NBA rule is one amnesty buyout for the life of the CBA-and there's also been talk of LTIR being tweaked to only allow part of an injured player's salary come "off" the cap.

If the NHL adopts a similar rule, there's no need to rush out and use the buyout.

Old
02-06-2012, 03:09 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
The more I think about it, the more I'd prefer going with a young, signed defenseman than a veteran rental.

The draft is considered fairly deep, if not stellar, and there's quality to be found in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. They have a good group of youngsters that can grow together and become a very solid contender in a couple years, if not sooner.

I'd rather augment that, rather that take from it
I'd like to go for a young signed defenseman as well, but I fear the asking price would be too much. Ideally we go for that and get a veteran winger (either a rental or not). Rutuu would be an excellent fit on this team with his style of play and could really play on any line. The defenseman they go after can be anyone that is better than MAB or Gus and I really won't care who it is if the price is right. Preferably it is a long-term solution, but if that is not available for a reasonable price, you have to make some move. I know people don't like hearing that, but sometimes you need to make a move. This team's defense is not going to win a Cup the way it is. It still may not after a move is made, but I think it is pretty clear that MAB/Gus would be a repeat of the 2010 Cup defense (without Pronger to make up for the crap).

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on this season and standing pat would essentially be doing just that. The team is fighting for a top four playoff spot despite lackluster defense and play in net. Adding a depth winger and better defenseman could really make a difference. Again, it is no guarantee, but sitting on our hands certainly won't improve our chances.

Old
02-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Eh. I'm not eager to see Homer do anything drastic. Our biggest problems probably aren't going to be fixed by one trade. The defensive skill of our forwards is largely lacking, and goaltending exacerbates that issue. I don't think we're just one trade away from being real competitors, not this year.
This will probably wind up being the year we win. After all the seasons the past 15 years where we looked like real contenders, we're going to win it with a team made up of rookies, and a lost goalie.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
I'd like to go for a young signed defenseman as well, but I fear the asking price would be too much. Ideally we go for that and get a veteran winger (either a rental or not). Rutuu would be an excellent fit on this team with his style of play and could really play on any line. The defenseman they go after can be anyone that is better than MAB or Gus and I really won't care who it is if the price is right. Preferably it is a long-term solution, but if that is not available for a reasonable price, you have to make some move. I know people don't like hearing that, but sometimes you need to make a move. This team's defense is not going to win a Cup the way it is. It still may not after a move is made, but I think it is pretty clear that MAB/Gus would be a repeat of the 2010 Cup defense (without Pronger to make up for the crap).

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on this season and standing pat would essentially be doing just that. The team is fighting for a top four playoff spot despite lackluster defense and play in net. Adding a depth winger and better defenseman could really make a difference. Again, it is no guarantee, but sitting on our hands certainly won't improve our chances.
The price-reportedly-for guys like Gleason, Allen and Beauchemin has me worried that Kubina or Allen could also be more costly than it's worth.

If I'm giving up a significant asset regardless, I'd rather have a guy who will be a factor for the next 4 or 5 years, not a rental. It's better to stand pat than overpay for a Kubina or Allen type guy.

As far as Ruuttu, I think that Carolina is demanding a premium for it's guys. They supposedly wanted a 1st for Gleason or Allen, I can only imagine they'd want a lot for Ruuttu, too.

Old
02-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Bryzgalov has had bad seasons before. His first full season in Phoenix he struggled with consistency and posted bad numbers. The next season, he was a Vezina finalist.
I am too afraid to take that chance. I know exactly where you are coming from and I agree but I do not trust a goalie that needs 50 games to get his **** together. Too much of a risk with that contract and cap hit as well as NMC.

Quote:
If there is any kind of amnesty buyout, they need to be wise in using it immediately-the NBA rule is one amnesty buyout for the life of the CBA-and there's also been talk of LTIR being tweaked to only allow part of an injured player's salary come "off" the cap.

If the NHL adopts a similar rule, there's no need to rush out and use the buyout.
I am ok with it. I'd give him one more year if it does not stop us from getting rid of him if we do not like him. Of course this is not my 20 million Flyers will be spending. So it is easy for me to say what I like or do not like.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
I am too afraid to take that chance. I know exactly where you are coming from and I agree but I do not trust a goalie that needs 50 games to get his **** together. Too much of a risk with that contract and cap hit as well as NMC.

I am ok with it. I'd give him one more year if it does not stop us from getting rid of him if we do not like him. Of course this is not my 20 million Flyers will be spending. So it is easy for me to say what I like or do not like.

Exactly. If he's still "lost in the woods" after season two then spring the buy out on him. His first full season in Phoenix was very similar to the season he's having now. I think/hope/pray he can rebound

Old
02-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Devastate

I dont think a decision on bryz should be made after this season, but by next year's end we'll have to make a decision on bob, and that's when a decision on Bryz should also be made

Devastate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 05:03 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
The price-reportedly-for guys like Gleason, Allen and Beauchemin has me worried that Kubina or Allen could also be more costly than it's worth.

If I'm giving up a significant asset regardless, I'd rather have a guy who will be a factor for the next 4 or 5 years, not a rental. It's better to stand pat than overpay for a Kubina or Allen type guy.

As far as Ruuttu, I think that Carolina is demanding a premium for it's guys. They supposedly wanted a 1st for Gleason or Allen, I can only imagine they'd want a lot for Ruuttu, too.
And that's exactly what I'm saying. Ideally we can go after guys like that, but if the price is too high then no. I like the idea of Rutuu on this team. Not at the expense of JvR.

Old
02-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
And that's exactly what I'm saying. Ideally we can go after guys like that, but if the price is too high then no. I like the idea of Rutuu on this team. Not at the expense of JvR.
Yep. Can't move JvR unless you get a stud or a young guy with a ton of potential signed to a friendly deal for a few years.

Trading JvR for a UFA...bleech