HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staal and Phaneuf

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2006, 02:28 PM
RangersFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I dunno I see Staal as Redden type player, but maybe just slightly below him. I wouldn't call him a poor man's version but maybe split the difference between Redden and Brewer.

I just can't see Staal being quite on the same level as Phaneuf. What Dion brings to the table is just too high end. Staal is more of a balanced kind of player.

I just worry that with this season, the expectations are becoming unfair.
Let's hope he's a lot more Redden than he is Brewer.

Old
01-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

I've been thinking about Staal and comparison and I just can't find a good comparison to anyone. He is completely unique in that he's big, but he's not a bruiser. He's got good passing, but he's not a playmaking rearguard. He's always in position, showing up Malkin/Kessel just highlighted his smarts and steadiness. I liked the Redden comparison as far as worth to the team. But he's already bigger, maybe a notch below in skating ability, better positionally, and not as dynamic offensively. Frankly, who would you say he's like? IMO Staal's first pass alone will get him more points and production than Brewer.

Funny speaking about Redden, I've thought for awhile that he'd be the PERFECT partner for Staal next year. I hope the Rangers put a high priority on him--please no McCabe--and then the offense.

Old
01-10-2006, 03:51 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
I've been thinking about Staal and comparison and I just can't find a good comparison to anyone.
Ohlund?

Old
01-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Ohlund?
That was one of the closer ones I looked at. Not exceptional at anything but good at everything. If I had to pick one I'd say Ohlund is somewhat close.

Honestly, no homerism--I don't think Staal's developmental curve is finished. Give him some time to adapt to the NHL game and start to excel, maybe 3-4 years and he could be meaner, more offensive, and a hell of a franchise d-man at 6'4 and 22/23 years old. I can't wait to see how he progresses.

Old
01-10-2006, 04:24 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

I see similarities to Larry Robinson myself.

And before someone who can't read goes nuts about it, I'm not saying he's going to be LArry Robison. I'm saying he reminds me a bit of him.

Old
01-10-2006, 04:40 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Ohlund?
Thats who i would say as well.

Old
01-10-2006, 04:56 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

And before someone who can't read goes nuts about it, I'm not saying he's going to be LArry Robison. I'm saying he reminds me a bit of him.
Yeah, I see it too, but won't put up those ridiculous numbers the big bird did. Both are tall, good with the puck and pretty agile feet which is rare for the big boys.

Old
01-10-2006, 05:27 PM
BigE

Quote:

This was Pierre McGuire and Bob McKenzie's comparison player of choice over the WJC tournament.

I can't honestly tell you my feelings one way or another because at that time, I was just beginning my hockey career on a minor novice travel team.

Wow, that dates me somewhat.

Old
01-10-2006, 08:26 PM
shoothepuck

Watched Phaneuf play against NY, and he looks impressive.

Old
01-10-2006, 08:31 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Phaneuf looked amazing. This guy is definitely gonna be a Norris winner. Can't believe he's only 20!!!

Old
01-10-2006, 08:41 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Phaneuf, man, he was all over the ice tonight, did an incredible job.

Flames have a keeper in that man.

Old
01-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Levitate

phaneuf was good but you can see he still has some rough edges to work on

but i'm pretty damn sure he'll work those out...

Old
01-10-2006, 08:53 PM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
What I would've done to move up in that draft and take him. He was the one guy I wanted..I would've gave up our #12 pick (which turned out to be Jessiman), Lundmark and a 2nd rounder to move up and get Phaneuf..

Old
01-10-2006, 08:58 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru
What I would've done to move up in that draft and take him. He was the one guy I wanted..I would've gave up our #12 pick (which turned out to be Jessiman), Lundmark and a 2nd rounder to move up and get Phaneuf..
I wanted Phaneuf or Getzlaf. I really didn't want Jessiman at all.

Two and a half years later I'm watched Phaneuf in the NHL look like one of the NHL's future top defenseman, Getzlaf look really good in both his NHL stint and AHL experience.

I have a feeling that draft is gonna hurt for a while. But that's another topic for another time and another denial session.

Old
01-10-2006, 09:11 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:

Two and a half years later I'm watched Phaneuf in the NHL look like one of the NHL's future top defenseman, Getzlaf look really good in both his NHL stint and AHL experience.

I have a feeling that draft is gonna hurt for a while. But that's another topic for another time and another denial session.

no one wanted to trade away their top picks that year. We can't cry over what has been done. There are alot of differing opinions on Jessiman but he may well be worth that pick. It will take longer but I believe he will be in the NHL.

Old
01-10-2006, 09:28 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99
no one wanted to trade away their top picks that year. We can't cry over what has been done. There are alot of differing opinions on Jessiman but he may well be worth that pick. It will take longer but I believe he will be in the NHL.
There were a few teams willing to move.

Let me put it this way, if the Rangers wanted to there were deals to be made on that day.

Old
01-10-2006, 09:52 PM
nrf83

Quote:
There were a few teams willing to move.

Let me put it this way, if the Rangers wanted to there were deals to be made on that day.
Not for Phaneuf. Gog he looked awsome tonight. Only 20, he is going to be how Dmen are identified for next 15 years.

Old
01-11-2006, 12:24 AM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83
Not for Phaneuf. Gog he looked awsome tonight. Only 20, he is going to be how Dmen are identified for next 15 years.
SJ and Atlanta were both willing to trade down.

Both picked before Phaneuf was taken.

The missed opportunity with Atlanta was one reason why The Rangers didn't even blink to do a trade in 2005. As one person put it "Once is a mistake. Twice is stupidity".

Even so, Getzlaf was also still on the board.

Nothing can be done about it now, but I know what was out there to do if they wanted. THAT is the part that stings.

Old
01-11-2006, 12:44 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck
Watched Phaneuf play against NY, and he looks impressive.

And that was just an below average game from him IMO (though he did score easy goal.)

Old
01-11-2006, 09:18 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

That was some first round. I count about 3 players or so who have struggled since then, and of course we drafted one of them.

Yeah, yeah, there's still time, blah blah...

Old
01-11-2006, 12:11 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

I've made the comparison several times.

Quote:

Like you, I remember Robinson form his Jr days and that at the same age there are a lot of similar traits between the two. One only hopes that Staal matures into a Robinson clone. I haven't seen enough of Staal to see if he has the hidden mean streak that Robinson had. Staal is not as gawky as Robinson was. Robinson took some years to grow into his body. I see Staal as being a solid all round defenseman, maybe a Keven Lowe type? Who knows. It will certainly be very interesting watching his development though. It's nice to argue, or discuss what type of player he may end up as. Hell, its great just to have these types in the organization finally.

Old
01-11-2006, 12:17 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

I'm not one for hindsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru
mainly because its always 20/20, but, if we could have made that deal, I would have been very comfortable doing it. I, like many here, had hoped we would move up too. It was an opportunity to make a statement for the franchise. I always believed that no matter what the sport you start with your defense and work from there.

Hopefully somewhere down the road, when the time and return is right, we turn Lundqvist or Montoya into what ever is missing to complete the puzzle. Who knows that opportunity may present itself at this year's draft and we move Montoya and + to get a franchise type offensive player.

Closed Thread