Boychuk and future with Bruins

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2012, 06:53 PM
rocketdan9

vCash: 500
Boychuk and future with Bruins

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html

" 26. Think Boston is working on an extension for UFA-to-be Johnny Boychuk, but don't think it's close."

Thats the inside from Friedman. Some of us still are not a big fan of the kid, but many like myself, really appreciate the game he brings on the ice. This year he has pretty much played a mistake free game. Very stable on the defensive end, rubbing people out against the board and rarely losing battles, on offense his game has been a little disappointing (esp after scoring 60 in prov), but on occasion does score timely goals. Lastly we all love seeing him wind up for rockets that usually just hit goals square on the chest.

He is making 2 mill this final year of his contract and i'm really curious what type of offer pc has made out to him, that is not good or enticing enough. Maybe 2.25 for three years??

So even though he could be helpful for another cup run, you also need to think about the teams future at the same time. On the same link above states that the Oilers are looking for defensive help in return for one of their promising forwards. Plus Boychuk is edm native.

Most likely not, but if the Bruins made a trade for a very nice D and Boychuk could be possibly expandable

What would people think of a Boychuk for Paarjavi deal? Maybe Gagner ?

Otherwise a less enticing deal for prospects in return such as Reider and Musil.

Don't want to make this another potential trade thread, but Boychuk to Oilers trade was an easy one not to bring up.

Last edited by rocketdan9: 02-06-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old
02-06-2012, 07:04 PM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

He is going to want at least $4 million per season. No way Chia gives him that, but someone else may on the open market. Based on what others have received, its very likely that happens.

Old
02-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoe82 View Post
He is going to want at least $4 million per season. No way Chia gives him that, but someone else may on the open market. Based on what others have received, its very likely that happens.
I doubt he gets that much, but who knows. This is a 20pt defenseman who's maybe slightly above-average defensively. I guess he's comparable to Gleason, although I think Boychuk benefits greatly playing with Chara.

Old
02-06-2012, 07:16 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoe82 View Post
He is going to want at least $4 million per season.
You think????

I don't think his asking price is much north of 3 - 3.5 per, personally.

Old
02-06-2012, 07:20 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler SeQuin View Post
You think????

I don't think his asking price is much north of 3 - 3.5 per, personally.
agreed. If he wants 4+ then I'd be okay with letting him walk.

However, I have a feeling that Johnny takes a home town discount to stay a Bruin. Just a hunch

Old
02-06-2012, 07:22 PM
ssault
SW BROONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post

However, I have a feeling that Johnny takes a home town discount to stay a Bruin. Just a hunch
Just judging by how his contract talks are gonna drag on here, I would assume the discount is off the table or it would be sewn up rather quickly.

Old
02-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Btown

I like Boychuk and think he fits our system well.
I believe he is overlooked on this team with much upside still to come.
The problem I see with him is strictly the money. He deserves at least 3 million and would want upwards to 4 million, I dont see the Bruins paying him north of 3 million a year.
I would be happy with a 3-5 year signing of him for 3 million or under.
Another Stanley Cup may allow us to get the discount but if not I do not want to lose him befor the playoffs.
I think he will develop more in the future and become a good second pairing defenseman with good offensive numbers.
I say keep him! Then work on a deal in the offseason.

Old
02-06-2012, 07:26 PM
JMiller

Wonder if teams would be willing to throw a few more $ his way b/c of the Cup. He might take on more of a leadership role with another club.

Old
02-06-2012, 07:27 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssault View Post
Just judging by how his contract talks are gonna drag on here, I would assume the discount is off the table or it would be sewn up rather quickly.
I don't really listen to what the sports media says about contract negotiations. I know that's all we have to go on but the same media thought there was some rift between Marchand and Chia because it took them so long to get a deal done even though they kept saying it was because they were busy.

We'll see, I guess!

Old
02-06-2012, 07:29 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Boychuck at 4m, see you later
Boychuk around 3m? Yeah I could get into that.

Old
02-06-2012, 07:35 PM
pedrospecialk

Send a message via AIM to pedrospecialk
Anything above $3.25m would be an overpay IMO. 3/$10 would be the max I'd be I'd be willing to go, and chances are he'd receive a bit more on the open market, especially in light of what someone like Liles gets nowadays.

Old
02-06-2012, 07:44 PM
ssault
SW BROONS

Quote:
I don't really listen to what the sports media says about contract negotiations. I know that's all we have to go on but the same media thought there was some rift between Marchand and Chia because it took them so long to get a deal done even though they kept saying it was because they were busy.

We'll see, I guess!
True, media will create a story if there isn't one. I imagine Chia has left this on the back burner for the time being as he works the trade deadline anyways. Or if you need page hits: Boychuk and Chiarelli fist-fight in the hallways of the Garden over contract talks as they drag into late February!!!

Old
02-06-2012, 07:55 PM
TCL40

I like Boychuk and I think he has looked pretty good this season, however no way would I give him 4 million a year.

I think 2.5 to 3.0 seems reasonable. I am not even sure I would go to 3.5 for him.

Old
02-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Baddkarma

Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
3 years/2.75 per. Book it. Johnny Game knows his role. Thats one as a millionaire on a cup contending team.

Old
02-06-2012, 08:12 PM
rocketdan9

4 is hard to believe for boychuk. That would mean he would get more than Seidenberg. Thats hard to believe as i would rather have another seidenberg instead

Even 3 is stretching it, though for the current market for his capabilities its fair.

Most likely chuk is kept, plays his heart out for us for another cup run and future contract, we risk losing him and replace him with Hamilton next year.

People need to also wind down on these hometown discount ideas. Some of these players care about money, their future etc. Especially after winning a cup the next step these days is to gain security financially

Old
02-07-2012, 10:57 AM
rocketdan9

Any other thoughts? If chuk leaves, will there a greater pressur for guys like cross, hamilton to make the team?

Old
02-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Given what Gleason got, he could be looking for a lot.

Old
02-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Fire Julien

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdan9 View Post
Any other thoughts? If chuk leaves, will there a greater pressur for guys like cross, hamilton to make the team?
Hamilton next year will skate circles around Boychuk, so there's no pressure on him. Cross will never make the NHL. If he leaves, you sign a better defenseman than him, that's all.

Old
02-07-2012, 11:11 AM
mikelvl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss The Ring View Post
Hamilton next year will skate circles around Boychuk, so there's no pressure on him. Cross will never make the NHL. If he leaves, you sign a better defenseman than him, that's all.
I doubt a 19 year old defenseman, regardless of his potential, will be able to step in and be a top 4 defenseman in the NHL. He'll be playing with men, not boys for the first time in his life. He will be brought along slowly as a no.5-6 dman with the occasional scratch a la Seguin.

Old
02-07-2012, 11:13 AM
mikelvl

duplicate post

Last edited by mikelvl: 02-07-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: duplicate posting
Old
02-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelvl View Post
I doubt a 19 year old defenseman, regardless of his potential, will be able to step in and be a top 4 defenseman in the NHL. He'll be playing with men, not boys for the first time in his life. He will be brought along slowly as a no.5-6 dman with the occasional scratch a la Seguin.
I take it you dont watch many NJ games? Check out that Larsson kid,, 20+ mins per nite,, not too shabby for a youngin. Hamilton is a wild card, but dont knock him because of his youth, kid may turn some heads in camp.

Old
02-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Cappy
belgians do it best

Quote:

i think he fits great on his hometown oilers, they need help on the back end, they have trouble bringing in fa, and they'll have plenty of $$ to spend. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see boychuk go home.

Old
02-07-2012, 12:23 PM
TMac21
Retooled for 2014

Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
Does he deserve more than Seids?

Old
02-07-2012, 12:27 PM
LyricalLyricist

They'll sign him. No reason not to unless he goes extreme with demands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
I take it you dont watch many NJ games? Check out that Larsson kid,, 20+ mins per nite,, not too shabby for a youngin. Hamilton is a wild card, but dont knock him because of his youth, kid may turn some heads in camp.
Larsson and Hamilton aren't at same level but Hamilton is talented as well. Larsson was touted as the best d-man from sweden since lidstrom for a reason.

Old
02-07-2012, 12:39 PM
mikelvl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Maybe so, the Devils are definitely letting Larsson learn through trial by fire and he's held up well, but definitely making his share of rookie mistakes. My point with Hamilton is that I expect the Bruins to most likely use the same kid glove treatment they did with Seguin in his rookie year. That is the safer route. That being said, if he's ready for more, he'll get more for sure (see Lucic at 18). Who better than Chara to stick a rookie with on defense? But I'm still leaning towards caution as Larsson is the exception rather than the norm, especially on defense where they say it takes a lot longer for a player to develop than at forward.

Closed Thread